Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    maggiekat7 wrote: »
    thought i'd post an update here, just in case some people were curious due to their own knee complaints . . .

the doctor feels that my knees are structurally sound and well stabilized. she does feel i have some joint abnormalities (my knees naturally turn in to each other) and my feet over pronate. she encouraged me to continue with the program, but to perhaps go back over last week and take it all a little slower. i guess i can use the time to work on my running style and focus on better form!

That's good news. What surface are you running on? Maybe try laps of a local oval/park for your next run too, to get you off the concrete/road and onto the grass.
  • archanajoyce
    archanajoyce Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I created a thread quite a while back seeking help on W1D2 or something. In Dec 2014 on W3 I had stopped for more reasons than one.

However, I recently started back up again and am proud to report that I survived W5D2. Tomorrow is a big run for me. Asthma wise, I’m doing ok and I’m SLOW (think tortoise trampling through mud slow). Hope to make it.

I wanted to thank all of you for supporting me back then and YOU ROCK!
  • samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Well done @archanajoyce for persevering! Good luck for your next run! Don't worry about the speed, just concentrate on getting the time on your feet!
  • archanajoyce
    Options
    Thank you @samra338 . I'll keep you guys posted : ) Tomorrow is the big day!
  • samra338
    Options
    Just completed W3D2....slow and steady!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    she does feel i have some joint abnormalities (my knees naturally turn in to each other) and my feet over pronate.

Good news.

You mentioned you'd got shoes on the basis of a recommendation, did you also get a fitting in the shop that you got them from?

Broadly there are four types of shoe; motion control, neutral, cushioned and minimal. For an overpronator you'd anticipate being in a motion control shoe. Doesn't work for everyone, but in general it's an appropriate answer.

Overpronators would normally see the pain being in the lower leg, rather than at the knee That's down to torque loading, and could be exacerbated by a hip issue causing your upper leg to be rotated inward as well.

• maggiekat7
    maggiekat7 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    she does feel i have some joint abnormalities (my knees naturally turn in to each other) and my feet over pronate.

You mentioned you'd got shoes on the basis of a recommendation, did you also get a fitting in the shop that you got them from?

I'm regretting this, but I did not, not realizing how important it would end up being. I live in a small town, but think at some point I will have to make a trip into the nearest city to have a proper shoe fitting and and some sort of helpful analysis of how I'm using my feet when running.
    taeliesyn wrote:
    What surface are you running on?

Sidewalks and roads . . . I think I'll give some of the trails in my town a go soon. I'm just nervous that I'll trip over a root or have stability issues on the uneven surfaces. No indoor gyms with track surfaces in my little town. I could try one of the soccer fields, if I can motivate myself to run in circles. My knees might thank me . . .
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    lngrunert wrote: »
    I just completed my first official 5K race with a finish time of 32:22!!!!! I must have been filled with adrenaline because my fastest practice run was right around 40 minutes. To go from not running at all just a few months ago to this is unbelievable - I'm so proud and looking forward to my next race!
    Congrats! :)

• archanajoyce
    Options
    Aine8046 wrote: »
    lngrunert wrote: »
    I just completed my first official 5K race with a finish time of 32:22!!!!! I must have been filled with adrenaline because my fastest practice run was right around 40 minutes. To go from not running at all just a few months ago to this is unbelievable - I'm so proud and looking forward to my next race!
    Congrats! :)

Congratulations! Wootwoot!
  • archanajoyce
    Options
  • SuperMelanie
    SuperMelanie Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Completed W3D2 last night and feel AMAZING! I'm actually doing it :smiley:
  • krichard08
    krichard08 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Just completed W5D1 last night. It scared me but I did it!! I had to talk myself through it by repeating "DO NOT PSYCH YOURSELF OUT!! YOU CAN DO THIS!" in my head..lol. Sounds silly but my internal pep talks work. Tomorrow is a whole other ball of wax though! Yikes!!!! 8 minutes!! I am going to need to start increasing the pep talks!! :smiley:
  • jdctrumpet
    jdctrumpet Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Completed W7D2 yesterday after work, and it felt great! Excited to be done with the program next week and run my first 5k on June 6. What gets me every time though, is when I have to turn around in the middle of my run. As long as I'm going in one direction, I feel like I can run forever. As soon as I slow down to make the turn it takes me quite a while to get back in the groove.
  • samra338
    Options
    @worldsworstsuperhero I am at the same stage! Tomorrow is my W3D3 and I am looking forward to it :)
  • hbarnesccs
    hbarnesccs Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It's been awhile since I updated! A few weeks ago I did W5D3 - the "20 minute run" and was absolutely amazed at how easy it was! I think I finally moved past the calf pain that was holding me back. I stop and stretch for one minute after half a mile now, and that seems to take away all of the pain.

I have slightly drifted from the program since then. I am part of a group running 50 miles in May (although my goal is 35 since this is new to me) and I have been running/jogging in order to reach my goal. I am signing up for my first 5K on July 4th - a huge community run called the Watermelon 5K. I'm currently running two miles (slowly) and am working on increasing my distance a bit by bit each week, then working on time. I'm so thankful to C25K for giving me the jumpstart to get back into running!
  • ronmatta
    ronmatta Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Great job! After a 20 year layoff I started after struggling through the Chicago shamrock shuffle. Now at w7d1 - had bad calf pain the first 5 weeks, finally released. Now everything is good.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Breezed through week 6 day 2. It always surprises me when I do that because some days my legs feel like lead!
  • mrsjatty
    mrsjatty Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    W7D3 complete, can see the end and can't believe it !
  • SuperMelanie
    SuperMelanie Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Somehow managed to complete week 3. I can't believe I am doing this! Thanks for all the advice and positive comments on this site <3 After years of being overweight, unhealthy, unfit and unhappy I am starting to feel really good about the future.
  • maggiekat7
    maggiekat7 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    finished week 4 this morning. will be repeating it next week (sigh) despite my ambition to plow ahead. any tips on slowing one's pace? i'd like to dial it down to a 11 - 11.5 minute mile, but i seem to naturally pace around 9 - 10. i walk fast 4.3-4.5 mph, which i find comfortable and enjoy . . . but think it might be easier impact on my body if i could run a tad slower.