Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,986 Member
    Options
    END OF WEEK 1 OF FEBRUARY "STREAK" CHALLENGE:'

Presentation1_zps23676fcb.jpg

Ladies, let me know if you have "other" results than what is reported here....of course, not everybody showed up for "check-in"...
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Beeps count me a 6 of 7. I missed a workout on Wednesday, and had already taken a rest day.

Thanks!

Quick update. The husband is going nuts, working and moving around the room quite well. He doesn't want to stay in the hospital til the surgery but because of our insurance, he has to and he's not a happy camper about that - all good signs! He' is ol' ornery self and I'm happy about that!

I'm going to walk stairs here at the hospital today to get cardio in so I don't lose another workout day! Added benefit - iit helps me sleep too!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    sue - i now see you are 6/7 in week 1 of challenge - I've updated the spreadsheet on my computer to reflect this!!!
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    lcu - I'm a BIG outside runner. Treadmill is just ugh. I heard someone use the term "dreadmill" and thought that it couldn't be more accurate.
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    O Sue def thinking of you and the hubby!!

I finished Stage 3 today! woohoo! I would post my results on the stage 3 forum - but that place is dead. so, here goes:

dumbell single-leg deadlift: 10 -- 15
    Barbell bent over row: 40 -- 60
    dumbbell single arm oh squat: 5/10 -- 10/20
    dumbbell incline bench press: 15 -- 20

barbell romanian deadlfit/bent over row: 50 -- 70
    wide grip lat pulldown: 50 -- 60 (can't seem to get above 60 - any ideas???)
    Back extension: body weight -- 25lbs
    YTWL: 5 -- 5

already looking forward to stage 4!!

Also, I am back on my streak so next week is gonna be 7/7!!!
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    O Sue def thinking of you and the hubby!!

I finished Stage 3 today! woohoo! I would post my results on the stage 3 forum - but that place is dead. so, here goes:

dumbell single-leg deadlift: 10 -- 15
    Barbell bent over row: 40 -- 60
    dumbbell single arm oh squat: 5/10 -- 10/20
    dumbbell incline bench press: 15 -- 20

barbell romanian deadlfit/bent over row: 50 -- 70
    wide grip lat pulldown: 50 -- 60 (can't seem to get above 60 - any ideas???)
    Back extension: body weight -- 25lbs
    YTWL: 5 -- 5

already looking forward to stage 4!!

Also, I am back on my streak so next week is gonna be 7/7!!!

great job on stage 3!

no advice from this corner on lat pulldowns. Looking back at old log sheets, I definitely stalled out on this move in the past.

arent those YWTLs the worst?!?
  • emgel9
    Options
    YES!!! YTWLs are the WORST!!!!!! That, or my shoulders are incredibly pathetically weak...for now I will go with "they are the worst" lol

I just looked at Stage 4 and am excited! I loved all the split leg stuff =D

Feeling good slow carbing - going to a chinese restaurant for dinner tonight which is tricky (pretty much can't avoid corn starch) so I am thinking moo shi without the pancake or chicken in black bean sauce (at least it has legumes?)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Vicki:

From New Rules of Lifting for Life, here are some alternatives (easiest to hardest) to "lat pull-down":

1. standing cable row or split-stance cable row (meaning: you could use bands tied to a door-knob).
    2. DB two-point row (this is harder than #1). Grab a DB with your nondominant hand, stand with your feet shoulder width apart and knees bent slightly. Push your hips back as you bend your torso forward. Hold the weight straight down from your shoulder with an overhand grip (palm facing backward). Pull the weight straight to the side of your abdomen. Lower it to the starting position. Finish all your reps, then repeat the set with the DB in the other hand.
    3. DB chest-supported row. (this is harder than #2) DB in each hand. Set bench at 45-degree incline. Your chest on incline part of bench, your feet flat on floor. DB (overhand grip) in each hand - row.
    4. inverted row (this is harder than #3)
    5. chin-up (this is harder than #4).
  • allikat819
    allikat819 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You guys, Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, but I really liked the YTWL!
  • emgel9
    Options
    allikat- yes. you are a glutton for punishment =D But I like Bulgarian Split Squats...so who am I to judge?
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    rachie - you'll love Stage 2. I PROMISE.

Beeps don't lie to the girl! :laugh:

Seriously, I hated Stage 2 because of all the fussy single leg split leg stuff but it works and I'm stronger for it. And now here I am at Stage 4 and repeating all those fussy single leg split leg things and I'm stronger still.

You'll love to hate it rachie!

HAha, thanks. However I feel about it, I HAVE to see it through. Its not a long stage, I will make it work!!!!
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Sue - glad to hear your hubby is doing better. Praying for both of you

emgel - congrats on finishing Stage 3 with great improvement!!

I'm still working away at Strong Lifts. Basically starting over at the beginning since I was out for over a month with my hip issue. Everything is going well - I'm actually getting much lower on my squats then I was last time.

As for cardio - I do a 5 minute warm up before lifting, occasionally I'll get some intervals in afterward, I try to get yoga in 3x a week, and I have been doing a steady rate cario on non lifting days because it really helps with the stress, weight loss, sleep, etc.

Streak challenge - I'm 7/7 for the first week.
  • mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Managed to hit 1638 cal of my 1700cal goal yesterday. It was much easier than I thought it would be, after not even hitting 1200 for the majority of the time since I started on here - nuts and a protein bar helped me out a lot. Now I just have to do it consistently for the next four to six weeks and hope to see some results!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Holy cow, did my glutes EVER get a work-out, today! I squeezed them in EVERY SINGLE LOWER BODY exercise there was.

whadda-ya-know...it MADE A DIFFERENCE!

Ouch. Wonder if DOMs is gonna make a visit tomorrow....

My new streak = 1
  • fratgirl713
    Options
    Just did my first 100lb deadlift. holy crap!

I am amazed at the progress that we make with this workout!! Wow! I have to admit, I was feeling discouraged a couple of weeks ago but so glad I stuck it out. I know the progress will taper eventually but I am feeling pretty pumped right now.

ROAR!!!!!!
  • mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    Options

I am amazed at the progress that we make with this workout!! Wow! I have to admit, I was feeling discouraged a couple of weeks ago but so glad I stuck it out. I know the progress will taper eventually but I am feeling pretty pumped right now.

ROAR!!!!!!

Awwww yeeeah.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options

ROAR!!!!!!

Awwww yeeeah.

woot! woot! woot!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

ROAR!!!!!!

woohoo! Isn't that the most incredible feeling? Congratulations!!

Beeps, I tried to do the same thing - really squeezed the glutes. And I do have DOMS today! OMG do I have DOMS!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Yep, that "squeeze" really did make a difference....of course, my work-out had TONS of lunges, today (reverse as well as reverse + curtsy), also step-ups AND bulgarian split squats. There were DB squats into a lateral raise, too!

I really should be doing glute bridges before every single glute exercise, but who the heck has the TIME! Even just doing this "special squeeze" ended up improving my performance, though.

It NEVER pays to get lazy....my lazy ol' glutes LOVE it when I get lazy (which, I've been VERY lazy in the glute dept these last 3-4 weeks, lol).

Have a good weekend, ladies!
  • Holmfridur_Gestsdottir
    Options

ROAR!!!!!!

Now what is not to love about weightlifting? Just asking! I know exactly how you feel, I got to this point last week and this week I did DL 50 kg (ca 105 pounds) for the first time ever. It's just priceless, that's what it is ::happy: :flowerforyou:

So, Rock on and enjoy! :smile: