Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I finished Stage 1 last night. My numbers from start to finish aren't the most wonderful thing out there but there is definitely improvement and I am happy about that! Stage 2 begins tomorrow! I'm pretty excited to be switching things up a bit and I'm glad there are still a few exercises from Stage 1 that I am already comfortable with.

(Beeps, shield your eyes)... I'm doing cardio tonight. I have a killer hill workout on the treadmill that I want to get done. I have one more week of doing "fun" cardio before I jump into half marathon training. I know, I know, it's not recommended but it was a goal for me this year and there are a few other races I want to do as well. The training program I was following had me running about 5-6 days a week. I'm going to cut it down to Tu/Th, with a weekend long run and a rest or bike day on a weekend day (just to get rid of any soreness). I'm reeeeeeaaaallllyyyyy hoping this wont be counterproductive. Any other runners that are doing NROL too? Any advice?
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    LB2LL - I think I have posted to you about this before but I am also a half marathon runner. Since starting NROL4W back in October I have consistently done cardio at least 3 days a week (and usually HIIT after lifting). I also do a long run on the weekends. I have seen significant strength improvements along the way and think lifting has helped with my shin splints - my thought is: if you love it, keep doin it!

Gotta be in court early tmw which means no workout for me =( My Fridays seem to get screwed up a lot. So I guess tmw is an unplanned day off. Cardio all weekend and then back to the weights on Monday!

I was kicking *kitten* on my push ups in Stage 1 and then got lazy and now they suck again. I think I'll restart with the smith machine - great suggestion!
  • LB2LL
    Options
    Thanks for sharing what you've done emgel. We might have spoken about it in the past. My brain is mush this week and now that I'm a week out from cranking up my running it's been on my brain. So far I've managed with 1-2 days of running and a day of biking so I think I will be fine :)
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,986 Member
    Options
    GET YOUR WEEK 2 OF FEBRUARY 'STREAK' CHALLENGE IN (tomorrow is the deadline):
    Presentation1_zps128c90bb.jpg
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

5 days this week.
    I'm going to blame the blizzard for the other two days :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    14 for 14 on the streak!

Man alive, am I having a hard time keeping my fat cals under 30%! Am I not allowed a bit of butter on my bagel and a bit of oil to stir fry all of my delicious veggies at lunch? I understand that splurging on five guys may be problematic, but its kind of hard to eat lots of protein and not have fat come along for the ride...

Lb2ll - congrats on stage 1. Last summer I was running 15-20 miles per week. I hope to ramp up to that this summer. I have to fit it in around everything else, though! I think you should be able to fit half marathon training into 3 days a week. Not like you are starting from zero.

Emgel - good luck with getting your push-up form back.
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Newb here with questions. I just finished week one and start week two tomorrow. To determine the weight I'm lifting I have a question...how much does the bar weigh?

Yes, an oly bar is 45 pounds. The barbells that have the weights permanently fixed include the bar weight. You should ask at your gym if you are not sure.
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Guys, I am taking myself out of the February challenge. #fail I know, but this has been a rough month for me food-wise and I am trying to figure out something I can fit in with mandatory 2x/week lunch meetings, late nights, etc... I'm doing great with the exercise/fitness/NROL4W, just need to work out the food.

you guys are all doing great on your streaks!
  • LB2LL
    Options
    The blizzard did close my gym for 3 days BUT if you guys don't care I'm counting all of the shoveling and hauling things around as exercise for those days. I was dripping sweat from all of it (gross, I know). This week should be a nice 7/7.
  • mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    Options

Put mcbell down for one million! I mean 7! Totally did it this week, don't even have a proper cheat meal planned (am going out for a raw vegan meal for lunch next Tuesday, so might use that). Have been pretty good at hitting my calorie goal, and staying fairly low carb (especially on Non workout days), and haven't even had any bread for the last three days (one of my weaknesses). Weight hasn't changed even though I am eating about 70% more calories than I was usually - so that is good - hasn't gone up, and my body fat has gone down a weeny tiny bit. Two more workouts in Stage one, then the amraps, then onto stage two - can't wait to see my measurement results after four weeks of eating well and working out.

Anyway, hope everyone else is doing well - yay, I got a streak!
  • lcuconley
    Options
    McBell - sounds like you had a great week!

lb2ll - absolutely...gettin' sweaty and actually accomplishing something is SWEET!

emgel - I am sure you will figure it out. great job with the workouts!
  • mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Cheers lcuconley! Just gotta keep the ball rolling. Am avoiding the work happy hour tonight, to go to the gym - awwww yeah. Also got some PB2 I am going to try with greek yoghurt as a dessert tonight, so everything is going well.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots going on here!!!

Welcome to all the newcomers!!

Sue - so glad to hear that your hubby is doing better. and congrats on the FSPP!!

Beeps - I will be sure to property chastise you should you ever consider cardio again :bigsmile:

Can't remember who questioned posting lifting status in the Stage 1 thread, but please don't consider it bragging. I would definitely consider it encouraging, especially to those who don't think they can lift as much as everyone else. It just proves how much we can do if we keep trying.

I definitely am one that needs to work on pushups! I've always been able to do them on the floor, but since I quit doing them so much as part of my lifting routine, I've gone from doing 4 sets of 15 to now only able to do about 3 sets of 10. Been working on them though as well as my pull ups.

Finally back into the swing of StrongLifts. Here's where I am so far this week

Squat - 100 lbs
    Deadlift - 115 lbs
    Bench - 65 lbs
    OHP - 65 lbs
    Row - 80 lbs

As for the Streak Challenge - 14/14 so far.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I just spent 10 minutes trying to catch up on this thread, but I don't think I even got half of it, LOL. Been on a vacation and haven't had time to check in. I say "vacation", but it was actually just more trouble than it was worth with 3 young kids and one of them getting sick while we were gone. At least I got to ski for the very first time in my life.
    Jennie, great weights for SL! I'm impressed with your push-ups.
    To all the streakers(haha, that sounds funny), great job! We're killing it. I am at 13 for the month!

Happy Valentines Day everyone! Hope you all got something nice:)
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    beeps - I love cardio. But I'm worried it's maybe not the best thing for me for weight loss. I'm going to hang in there a few more weeks and see what the scale continues to say.

randinek - When you start a new lifting program especially, you know the whole muscle retaining water thing, so probably that's masking weight loss if you are losing inches.

rachie - I didn't have much in the way of increased weight either. But I'm okay with that. I think the things where I saw the biggest increases were likely just me lifting too light the first time. I figure stage 1 is just a building good form stage, I got plenty more months of this to get stronger.

LB2LL - I'm running as well, about 4-5 days a week, and between 15 - 17 miles a week. Not quite half marathon territory, but probably a lot more than the author of the book prescribes. The lifting seems to really be helping my running. It's possible the running is kind of hurting my lifting (or slowing the progress I could otherwise be making) but I'm okay with that. Progress is progress. I also only do 1 speed type day a week, on a day I don't lift. Try to make all my other runs moderate to easy in effort, seems to help with recovery and being strong enough to give it my all when I'm lifting. Also running seems to really help with the muscle soreness on recovery days.

lcuconley - I have the same problem, in order to get enough protein...seems fat follows.

Sort of behind, apologize to folks who I missed, but happy to read your posts and see what you are all up to. Starting stage 2 tonight, sooo excited to do something different. Also not sure I have this eating thing worked out. Aiming for 1600 calories, but have actually been eating closer to 1740 average looks like. With all the running/lifting I do, still seems like that'd be enough for a loss, but been at a standstill for last month and a half. I know weight loss is not linear though, so going to give it a few more weeks of weigh-ins before I panic. Because honest no idea if I'm eating too much or too little, seems so arbitrary.
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Been on a vacation and haven't had time to check in. I say "vacation", but it was actually just more trouble than it was worth with 3 young kids

I totally can relate to this. When do vacations become vacations showing after kids?!?

Welcome back. Where did you go skiing?
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Was finally able to get back in the gym yesterday!! Came out feeling like a boss.

Kind of funny story....my husband always comes to the gym with me. There was another couple working out. The wife came up to me and said, "Glad I'm not the only one who would rather workout on Valentines than stand in line for 2 hours for a pasta dinner!" I thought it was quite funny.

Have a great weekend everyone!
  • lcuconley
    Options
    jcjs - Glad you were feeling like a boss! That is an awesome story. I wish my husband would come to the gym with me. (Then I would need him to work out on the other side of the weights section so he couldn't tell me what to do, but that's beside the point.)

---
    So, barely kept the streak alive, but drug myself to the gym after a late night and 2.5 ciders. Did 1A7...I have one more chance on each move to increase before I move on to stage 2!
  • LB2LL
    Options
    Stage 2 starts today! I'm excited about it :)
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Been on a vacation and haven't had time to check in. I say "vacation", but it was actually just more trouble than it was worth with 3 young kids

I totally can relate to this. When do vacations become vacations showing after kids?!?

Welcome back. Where did you go skiing?

New Mexico. It was great weather and great skiing. I'm told once the youngest is 5 or so, it will be easier. I really hope so.....

Gonna try and knock out stage 7 workout 4 today. I'm thinking I will keep doing stage 7 until the end of Feb (should give me 9 or 10 workouts or so) then move into Supercharged.