Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Beeps and McBell: OMG - I totally agree about hating my scale. for weeks, my weight was down one or two tenths of a pound every day. then last week I gained two pounds on valentines day and it has stuck with me ever since!!!

Beeps - Allow me some flexibility for your contest? I would like to report 6/7, since I did not get a workout in on Sunday.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Dog ate my shoes, so I was "popping tags" thrift shopping. I went to unique and for the price of a new pair of Chucks, I got two pair of sketchers, a pair of new balance, a winter jacket, four pair of jeans for hubby, two pair sneakers for my younger son, two pair jeans for my older son, two games, and about 10 books. Tah-dah. Holding off on getting a new program. I may do stronglifts for five weeks or repeat stage 1 of 4W and try to regain strength. (didn't realize Supercharged was only available in hardcover)

Yikes, where the hell do you buy your Chucks? They can't be that $$$!? And where is unique?
    $40 is non-sale price no that anybody would actually pay it lol. I liked Unique on my FB page. I go to the ones in Watchung and South plainfield butt there are others. My new sneakers are awesome.

I decided to restart stage one of 4W to regain strength before starting something new.

You bought all of that for $40?!?
    Yes'm Give a listen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8mJJJvaes (explicit lyrics)
    Some thrift stores are better than others. Unique is no goodwill or salvation army let me tell. Very high quality goods. AND it's where I make my donations. Proceeds go to the Lupus foundation, which an family connection is currently suffering. So I get a tax credit for my donations then I get buy awesome goods at great prices. For me it's almost like getting free AND I know my money is going to a great cause. ;)
  • samntha14
    Options
    Why do you insist on weighing yourselves? I've been saying it for a year, throw your scale away. Oh, it's exciting when it's down, but then it goes up a bit, what is probably normal fluctuations, and you get a major case of the blues. Knock it off. Once a month, that's it, that's all you need. And if it is up, shake it off and examine how you feel. My scale was up two pounds, it eventually came off, but during that whole time I felt like a million bucks. I love my new body. Yeah, there's still some trouble spots, but Like Alwyn said in a recent interview, I am just coming into my prime verging on the best shape of my life. so again, KNOCK IT OFF! (But I still love ya)
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Yep, I hate the scale too. Thus my "streak" challenge. Like Samntha said, it's pointless. I can take measurements (inches, calipers, etc) and tell how my progress is going. The number on the scale is actually irrelevant.
    By the way, I haven't weighed since Feb 1 and it's been very liberating. I may quit weighing all together and simply go by measurements.
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I finished stage 1 this morning!!!!!!!
    I will take measurements on Saturday, keep your fingers crossed for some good results.

Stage 2 question - how long do the workouts take? I need to think about morning or evening workouts depending on the average time they take?
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Oh the scale.... well actually not the scale since I've been staying pretty much the same but I SWEAR my middle has a little more to it. I mean, there is definition and you can see some abdominals but still, I feel like it's not what it used to be and it's making me a bit batty. It is most likely psychological, which isn't good because now I'm more than happy to start half training next week.

Rachie, stage 2 (including 10 minute walking warmup) takes me about 50 minutes. I also might be taking a little extra time between setting up the OB or just because I am tired between sets.

I will be 5/7 for the streak this week. I missed Sunday so that broke it from a full out streak to only 5. Boo.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Sorry, don't have time to catch up with everyone.

I had a streak going for 15 days, then another for 2 days. Got back on the streak today, though, and can hopefully keep it going the rest of the month. Taking an unwanted break from lifting this week, work and life is kind of crazy. Leaving this afternoon for Seattle for a conference tomorrow.

Hope you all have a good couple of days!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    I finished stage 1 this morning!!!!!!!
    I will take measurements on Saturday, keep your fingers crossed for some good results.

Stage 2 question - how long do the workouts take? I need to think about morning or evening workouts depending on the average time they take?

They took me over an hour if I did HIIT the same day. Definitely a shock from Stage 1.
    Jennie, breaks happen. Hope you can get back at it ASAP.
    LB2LL, I bet you will feel better about your midsection in the coming stages.

Random rant warning: So I have seen a rash of comments on threads (not in NROL4W) talking about how they've built tons of muscle on a calorie deficit. I blame Jillian Michaels and the other weight loss gurus who push this idea that we can "tone" up by using 5 lb dumbbells and crunches. I wish it was that easy. They are mistaking weight loss/fat loss/definition with increased mass. Not the same.

I am now 20/21 in the challenge. Yay!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,986 Member
    Options
    samntha - you're 100% right. I have NO argument with ANYTHING you've said. My problem is ALL self-induced. I entered an UNCONTEST. This UNCONTEST runs for 8 weeks. Part of this UNCONTEST is that you have to record your "weekly average weight". So, that means I am weighing about every 2nd or 3rd day. And, yes, it messes with my mind.

So, this is all self-induced. It will all be over in about 3 weeks. I can make it through.

BUT, I am NOT going to enter ANYMORE challenges that have such a statement on how to "weigh". Normally I just weigh once-per-week or once-every-couple-of-weeks and, yes, mentally, I'm much more stable!

chubby - yep, you're right that "definition" is appearing due to fat loss, not due to muscle-growth.

CHALLENGE LADIES - I'LL RECORD YOUR TALLIES TODAY, I PROMISE!
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Random rant warning: So I have seen a rash of comments on threads (not in NROL4W) talking about how they've built tons of muscle on a calorie deficit. I blame Jillian Michaels and the other weight loss gurus who push this idea that we can "tone" up by using 5 lb dumbbells and crunches. I wish it was that easy. They are mistaking weight loss/fat loss/definition with increased mass. Not the same.

Agree! Also think people are confusing strength gains with muscle mass gains. You can get stronger without actually "building" muscle. Smarter folks than me have explained all the science behind it. I just know it's true since I have had some strength gains over this program, but haven't actually gained weight so clearly I am not "building muscle" :laugh:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Regarding the scale, I decided not to weigh or measure until I was done with Stage 1 (I will be ending it early though because I leave on vacation after workouts week 7). I didn't want to play the scale mind game, even though I know I may not lose much or any scale weight, I didn't want to start questioning myself or the program too much, just wanted to begin and learn. It hasn't been difficult for me to stay off of it.

Regarding Jillian..... I was doing JM for 13 months before I started this. While it did help me begin to get fit because I did no exercise prior to that, and it did give me some strength, I feel like 3 weeks of New Rules has been more effective than 13 months of that. The only reason I can do pushups and situps now is because I was already doing them with JM. But, yes, I understand what you are saying about the "building muscle" comments.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Oh Beeps, that's torture! I hope you have great results!

Blues, you're exactly right. I've had amazing strength gains during this program while I've LOST weight and inches. Before I educated myself about it, I would have thought that I WAS building muscle while losing weight. And there is some truth in your muscles getting "harder" and feeling bigger from water retention.
    deksgrl, I did the JM thing before I got pregnant with my youngest. I lost a lot of weight and I enjoyed the workouts, but, like you, I didn't see any major strength gains. I still have her videos and will pop one in every once in a while for the cardio.
  • mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hey Beeps Please put me down for 5 out of 7 this week - looking forward to a "week streak" for the next week but I am heading away for the weekend so I am not sure if I will make the right choices.

I am also part of a weighing record thingy/challenge (2 separate ones actually), so I have gone down from daily weighing to three times a week. Would be great to not be paranoid that I would go completely off the rails if I didn't weigh........

Also, my copy of "The Primal Blueprint" arrived in the mail (along with Mastering mountain bike skills), New Rules is still at least a week away though - lucky I still have my library copy!

Have a good weekend guys!
    M
  • samntha14
    Options
    samntha - you're 100% right. I have NO argument with ANYTHING you've said. My problem is ALL self-induced. I entered an UNCONTEST. This UNCONTEST runs for 8 weeks. Part of this UNCONTEST is that you have to record your "weekly average weight". So, that means I am weighing about every 2nd or 3rd day. And, yes, it messes with my mind.

So, this is all self-induced. It will all be over in about 3 weeks. I can make it through.

BUT, I am NOT going to enter ANYMORE challenges that have such a statement on how to "weigh". Normally I just weigh once-per-week or once-every-couple-of-weeks and, yes, mentally, I'm much more stable!

chubby - yep, you're right that "definition" is appearing due to fat loss, not due to muscle-growth.

That stinks Beeps. We have a "biggest Loser" contest at work. It's the same damn people every year, and every year they come back with even more to lose. it's really sad. THey are so obsessed with the number in the scale that they never bother to focus on their health and make changes that really count.

My stats this week suck. I admit that I have zero self control before my cycle. Excuse, I know, but true nonetheless. I make up for it the week after my cycle. I usually under eat by 400-500 cals. Maybe I should use monthly average calories instead of weekly lol.

To my tally for this week 4 trips to the gym and under cals four out of 7 days :( at least I hit my gym goal.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Boo... I wrote a great long post and didn't post it before I changed pages! What a dunce I am sometimes! :blushing:

My husband is HOME!!!!! YEA!! The surgeon released him at 7am, the wound tech released him at 10-ish and then we waited... and waited... and waited... first for the portable wound vac to be delivered, then for the hospitalist to come release him, and finally for the nurse to have him sign off on all the papers - 4:45pm he finally was in the car with me headed home! My husband is not what anyone would call patient. I'm sure you can imagine what the afternoon was like! :laugh:

Beeps! I made 7/7 this week!! The days I knew I wouldn't get to the gym, I walked stairs. Mike was on the 4th floor surgical ward and I made sure I walked everytime I went anywhere - 4 to 5x each day! I didn't get to my regular workout today but I did the stairs again 4x.

Sam I'm going to have to check out Unique. We have a Goodwill down the street but I seldom shop there.

Who was asking about Stage 2? I started with 2 sets and could get that done in about an hour if I'm rememering correctly but I added a 3 set for the last 3As and Bs and that pushed my workout time to 75 - 90 min.

Rant on Cowgirl - I agree. I haven't built a whole lot of muscle yet, and I know I still have a lot of fat to lose, but I have gained a whole bunch of strength, plus a bunch of self-confidence! I am eating at cals per the program but not following the diet.

So I hope my life finds some semblance of normalcy soon! I will be working from home for at least another week while Mike recuperates. He can't drive, yet and he needs help doing most tasks. I should still be able to get to the gym though since I go so early in the morning. I suppose I could even do my lifting here at home, though I really prefer the gym these days!

Thanks all of you for your support! It's been a lifesaver for me!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Sue, I just have to say you are one amazing woman for sticking with your workouts and keeping your sanity while your husband was hospitalized. Waiting to be discharged is the WORST. I know all the paperwork, signatures, etc., holds things up, but, by golly, it's frustrating. I pray your husband has a quick recovery. What an ordeal he's been through.
    Samntha, I was reading some stuff a while back on bodybuidling.com that actually recommended that you cycle your calories like that. They said since you KNOW you're going to feel more hungry and have less willpower at that time of month, might as well use it to your advantage and just make up for it. Their rationale was that your body is burning a little more during that time, so you need it. Makes sense to me.
    I'm technically finished with NROL4W. I can't tell you how happy I am to say that. I've never finished any sort of fitness program. I'm toying with the idea of doing 3 more Stage 7 workouts (for a total of 9) and then starting Supercharged on March 1st. I may wimp out and just do some Stage 1 workouts until then. These Stage 7 workouts are NO JOKE. Anyway, I'll probably post my before/after results and pics on this forum next week. I've done nothing incredibly impressive, but it might encourage some to see what can happen.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

I got 5 days this week again for hitting my macros :smile:
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Sue, I'm glad your husband is home!! :)

Today is S2B2. This workout took me awhile last time. I'm pretty much at my protein goal today which is awesome. I've fallen a lot shorter than I would like over the past few days. Only two more days then half training starts! It will be interesting to see if my body hates the adjustment.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,986 Member
    Options
    END OF WEEK 3 OF FEBRUARY "STREAK" CHALLENGE:

Presentation1_zps9dba8deb.jpg
  • samntha14
    Options
    Took unplanned rest week, well four days anyway. TOM fatigue just about killed me. THank God I carpool, and my passenger kept me awake on the drive home. I was actually under by quite a bit today. My PMS binge in over. I think it hit harder than normal because my BC limits my cycles and this is the first "real" one in months. (TMI)

Sue glad Hubby came home :)

THanks Chubby, and I think I just may join you for supercharged next month.