Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I've been MIA lately , ladies. Sorry. Trying to get this house organized..... Slowly but surely

I am so tired of being overweight. I can NOT do anything about it. I want a quick fix and that just won't happen. Why can't we eat and be happy? I wish I was one of those women who is happy with their body. I've never been happy with myself. When I was 130 I thought I was fat. What I wouldn't give to be near 140 now. (just 17 pounds to go but it seems like a mountain. Mt Everest to be exact.)

Does anyone ever get happy with their body?
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Had a great workout this morning. It felt good after 2 days of too much booze and snacks.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,986 Member
    Options
    manic - I'm WAY happier with my body than I was a year ago. WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY happier!

Yep, I want a harder body, a more muscular body, and there's stuff I wish weren't as 'fluffy' as it is. But, overall, am way happier!

Thanks, ladies, for all your well wishes. I'm home.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Also, I'm up 5 lbs! I hate holiday bloat. So, I'm actually quite glad there are no more holidays on the horizon. I really wish I had a "5 lb buffer" so that, when I go away, it's within the 5lb range I WANT to be in!

Too many carbs - although I didn't drink a drop of alcohol. And, I skipped breakfast EVERYDAY. Gosh, I thought my weight would be up, but maybe only a pound or 2 - I was pretty shocked to see it 5 lbs up.

Whatever.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Mary, I really do relate. I have only seldom been happy with my weight and physical fitness. I always find a reason to stop, which of course leads to weight gain, and constant self criticism. It was a vicious cycle, I'd give up, gain weight, hate myself, get motivated, lose some weight, give up... blah blah, until I was all the way up to 185. Not a pretty thing but that was my highest weight. That was 3 years ago, I've lost 20, but still have more to go. But I'm not so focused on losing weight as i am getting to a better me, a happier, healthier, stronger and more accepting me. Yea I want to be skinny, but most of all I just want to be healthy, able to continue to do all the things I want to, including riding that 700lb motorcycle of mine. And I'm getting there. I love moving all this weight around and I'm getting strong enough now that I can really focus on form and powering through the lift! I'm much happier with me and my body than I was last year, even though I weight a couple of pounds more than I did then. It can only get better! Keep at it girl, I know you can do it!

Worked with the trainer today on my shoulders. They are def my weakest point. We did lots of db pushes, and a bit of legs, and then I took another spin class. It felt great!

Hope y'all have a great weekend!
  • sarahp4769
    sarahp4769 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have just posted on introductions but thought id say hi in here too. Im quite new to NROL, just did level 1 session 5B yesterday. I planned on coming on here sooner but I felt like a bit of a fraud as it took me until last week to get into doing thereal heavy weights as I was too intimidated to get right into the weights room. However, i bit the bullet and plunged in and I love it! I love the feeling of lifting heavy and beating your previous lifts, and i love the feeling after! Im even starting to feel my triceps poking out!!!
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Welcome Sarah! Glad you've made so much progress!

Beeps - it is really frustrating how our bodies can react when when we let up for a few days...or even a night. Here is to getting back on track!

Manic - I know I thought I was fat at 130 in HS. What IS up with that? I was actually pretty happy with my body in 2011, but then I had to get treated for a health issue and gained weight/lost muscle.
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    This has probably been asked before but I can't find it: What happens at the end of stage 7. I'm half way through stage 5 and am starting to think about what's going to happen afterwards. Do I do the whole thing again? Do I look for a different program?

What have others done when they reached the end? :)
  • MissSifaka
    MissSifaka Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm on stage 5 too and wondering the same thing. I'd like to check out supercharged a bit more but have been leaning towards stronglifts.
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    The gym never reopened on Friday. Funny because ALL of the other businesses in that complex reopened immediately. Finding a new gym might be in our near future if she keeps this up. Luckily winter is almost over!

I tried to run on Saturday but my knee was being funny. I notice that one is a bit more sore than the other but they are both going in and out of phases of hurting. It's strange but I'm definitely linking that to shoes. I wouldn't necessarily think that if it was just one knee. I have a brace for the worst one (it's not hurting much today since I rested the whole weekend and iced). I'm planning on slapping on the brace and finishing out Stage 2 which was supposed to have been completed on Friday!
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    FINALLY made it back to the gym today! I hadn't lifted in a week! It felt great and I def kicked my own *kitten* today! Did my long run yesterday so I skipped the HIIT today/didn't have time. Maybe I will actually finish Stage 4 next week!

I am with you guys on the "will I ever be happy with my body?" thing, but I feel much better since I started lifting. And my overall view on health/fitness has really evolved since joining MFP and educating myself.

LB2LL have you tried barefoot running/minimalist shoes? I run in vibram five fingers, my sister resisted the idea for a long time but after suffering ongoing knee pain after a meniscus tear/repair she bought a pair of new balance minimus and has had no knee problems since!
  • LB2LL
    Options
    Em, I haven't tried them. I was fitted for Mizunos and have stuck with them ever since. I am interested in minimalist shoes but I don't think I could do Vibrams. Toes gross me out ;)

For what it's worth I am LONG overdue for new shoes and didn't think about it much since I hadn't run more than a few miles each week for 2 months. Now that I'm starting up again I need a new pair.
  • emgel9
    Options
    LB2LL - yea vibrams aren't for everyone, but I would encourage you to go and try on some minimalist shoes: New Balance Minimus, Merrells gloves, or anything that strikes your fancy. They feel REALLY different, force you to mid-foot strike when you run, and a lot of people (not everyone) have had success curing various running ailments with them (I use them because I had horrible shin splints running in my asics - which I was fitted for at a running store - and have no shin splints with the vibrams). Also vibrams now makes the soles of most of the minimalist shoes out there so you'd be trying vibrams in a way!
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone had a great weekend. I was tied up with being onsite at work last week, so didn't get to post much. I got in my final Stage 6 workouts and am ready to start Stage 7 TODAY. EEK!!! I'm a little scared. You can opt for 6 workouts or 12 if you repeat it. I might repeat, since I'm not sure what I want to do after.

freezerburn and MissSifaka - I am considering doing Supercharged or a program by Nia Shanks after Stage 7. My goal is to learn enough to be able to create my own program eventually.

Mary - I think we can all relate to the weight thing. I was always chubby but muscular and active. Even at my skinniest (135), I still thought I was fat. I like to blame society for all of my image issues. :) Seriously though, I still have them. I saw myself in the mirror the other day and seemed to "appear" the same as I was when I started back in July. I know in my head I've lost weight, but I still see that obese person. I just have to remember I HAVE accomplished a lot, I'm wearing smaller clothes, and I'm stronger than I've ever been (and I used to think I was a pretty strong person). It's a mental game!

Beeps - glad you made it back (sounded awful). Just try to brush off the weight gain. We know it's water retention, so easiliy remedied. I have been battling water weight the last couple of weeks - up and down, up and down. *sigh*

LB2LL - what did you do to your knee? Mine has hurt off and on since starting new rules (noticeably when I do squats). It never hurts while running, but always after. My doc says nothing is wrong (from her brief observation) and that I just need to ice it and rest it and take ibuprofin. But...I'm not sure how I will ever be able to up my weights for a squat. I'm bummed and not sure what to do about it. Hopefully yours is just a shoe issue. Mine is not, I know that. :-/

Emgel - you and those vibrams!!! :) How is your foot?

My hat's off to all of you weekend warriors! I didn't do anything except -- brag alert -- 3 chinups! Yup, at the playground with my daughter. My goal is 5 and then one day...10!
  • LB2LL
    Options
    Em, I might just have to check them out! I was planning on ordering a pair this weekend online but I might try a minimalist shoe on at my local running store.

Km, I really have no clue. It just suddenly felt weird. It could be a mix of the split squats and the wood chop. I did up my weight for both of those last time. I also have been running more and am well overdue for shoes. It could be all of those things, or nothing at all ;) I've iced and did ibuprofen. We shall see how today goes with the brace.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I did NROL4Abs once I was finished with NROL4W. And, I did Stage 1 of NROL4Life in Feb/Mar this year. I did buy "supercharged" - which is a LOT like NROL4Life....not sure I'm super-impressed with the "do-it-yourself" designs, frankly.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Kathy! Awesome the chin ups. I am impressed!!!
    LB2LL-hope the knee feels better soon. I have a *bad* knee from a car accident in my teens and I know it needs to be babied sometimes...frustrating though. it makes me feel old!
    Em I am curious about minimalist shoes but worry that I have problematic feet and they may not be a good idea for me. Is there a website or any links you can post that talk more about them? and yes I can google :happy: but I just wonder if you have any sites or articles that you personally suggest.

I was going to lift today but alas it will not happen. Weather warmed up here this weekend I hit the ground running...literally. After weeks of inactivity, aside from shoveling snow, I was excited to get back out there. 3.06 miles on Saturday and 3.25 miles on Sunday after not running for a month or more...I am a hurting unit today. lol I loved it though. I am hoping to get to the gym tomorrow or Wed. to lift again.

I also wanted to comment on the body image issues....'cause I get that. I am really working on positive self talk to some extent or another. I am the lowest weight I have probably been in years, not exactly sure because I did not care enough to keep up with it during some of those years, and yet I still don't always like what I see in the mirror. Which is not ok IMO. It is a tough battle, this body image battle. I keep making myself look at myself and try to be objective and positively point out my improvements and while looking honestly at my *jiggly* bits I am trying not to see them as *gross* but just places I need to continue to work on. Part of my problem is that when I start to focus on all that I don't like I will just throw my hands in the air and give up. Which I am determined NOT to do this time.
  • emgel9
    Options
    Gadenni - I don't have any specific sites to point you towards re barefoot running, and if I did it would be incredibly biased as I am very much for them! I found my way to barefoot/minimalist running through google (started by some article I read) and I just read and read. In 2010 I began running and training for a 10k. I was wearing regular sneakers (sauconys) and I was getting very bad runners knee and a lot of joint fatigue when running. Something, but I don't remember what, sparked my interest in vibram five fingers and I just bought them. I found it was really important to train in them slowly (1/2 mile at a time or so) because your arches and calves just aren't used to working that hard and will be very very sore in the beginning. But my runner's knee and fatigue was gone! I found I could run much longer barefoot running.

I loved the vibrams so much I trained for my first half marathon in them and managed to break my foot in the process (nothing is perfect). After my foot healed I tried minimalist running shoes (Nike Free plus) and I like them and use them now for the elliptical, but I found I was getting debilitating shin splints when I tried to switch back to shoes. So now I am back to barefoot running (in the Vibrams - not in actual barefeet). It is very important to pay attention to form if you switch to a minimalist shoe and make sure you forefoot or midfoot strike.

As for perfect feet: ha I am far from it! I severely pronate and have $400 custom orthodics that the doctor claimed would fix all my problems when I broke my foot and that he claimed would fix the shin splints - never happened. Bad knees also run in my family (I am the only one who hasn't needed knee surgery - see my sister and her torn meniscus who now loves her new balance minimus), and I know several people who have said that minimalist shoes have helped with knee pain.

That is just my plug for barefoot running shoes. If you do some research you'll find people in both camps: those who say you were born to run barefoot and those who say if you have flat feet or pronate you NEED the support of a sneaker. It just depends what is comfortable and what works for you - it isn't necessarily and easy switch though, you will be sore when first trying minimalist shoes out.

LB2LL - the minimalist shoes vary wildly. Unless you are an avid zappos shopper like I am and are prepared to order a few different pairs to try on at home and then return I would recommend trying them on at a running store.

Km - My foot is much better thanks for checking in! I've been able to run and lift and everything! Totally jealous of your chin ups btw!
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I am intrigued by those minimalist shoes, I will admit. But am not sure if I'm committed enough to running. Just when I thought I was possibly off the hook for the half marathon, my friend emailed me about doing something in May. Me and running is a love/hate thing.

I did my first Stage 7 workout today! My arms and legs feel like rubber. The workout is very fast, but my heart rate was up the entire time. You know how in the earlier stages 60-90 seconds like like FOREVER to rest? Well 30 seconds is not enough!! I let it go 30-45, but managed to get through 95% of the workout. I totally forgot to alternate in the DB rows, so I did them all back to back at the end. The hardest thing for me was the static lunge w/rear foot elevated. 4 sets of 15!!!!!!!!!! I had to put the weight DOWN and just do BW the last 10 reps. I reduced weight on my squat to 65 and my knee felt fine. I think my knee issue may have a lot to do with form. I needed to get my stance wider and my feet angled out a bit. Made a huge difference. I'm going to go very slowly with upping weights on the squat. As much as I love to pile on the weights and am very competitive, I will force myself to go slowly to avoid injury.

I'm going to try and go 3X/week for Stage 7. I did so much better weight loss-wise in the beginning when lifted 3X/week and did much less cardio.
  • cphaneuf16
    cphaneuf16 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I just fot a pair of miimalist shoes in prep for NROL4W, because I'd read that they are great for lifting. I used them for the 3 workouts last week, plus the hardest C25K that I've done so far. They were great for running!! I wasn't sure they would be, so I had my usual sneakers on standby. I also use custom orthotics and I'm hoping that the minimalist shoes will actually "cure" my foot problems. Well, that, plus Chi Running.

I went with the Merrells (Arc?), for men because I have a huge foot and they were more comfy than the women's New Balance I'd tried. They are the previous style and I found them at DSW. I'm surprised at how comfy they are! They're considered an in-between shoe because they do have a bit of support. I love how light they are, so I can pack them in my gym bag when the ground is yucky like it is right now (18 inches of snow turning into slush).