Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Yup, excellent advice, but I don't have a second pair. In fact, these are the first pair of "athletic shoes" of any description, or any stretch of the definition, that I have owned in well over 20 years. But I have been wondering if I should get a second pair - especially if I am going to join that gym for mid-december-and-working-12-hours-a-day-can't-stand-upright-outside-in-this-weather treadmill workouts.

But they cost money.
    And "they" say running is the cheapest sport. After 500 miles, you'll have a second pair of shoes and will have options. So start saving your pence, or whatever you have over there.
    I think instead of blindly following the app on my phone that has had me running nearly an hour 3 times a week I am going to move to just one long app-recorded run a week, a day on that hill and a faster 5k attempt Parkrun on saturday mornings. I feel like there should be another day in there as well - another longish slow?
    If you do another day, it should be a long slow one. The hill would be considered interval training and the 5k would be a tempo run. So that's a lot of speedwork. Which is consistent with "Run Less, Run Faster" but that can be a contentious philosophy.

I'm SOOO excited to hear about the parkrun. It's going to be awesome.
    I am such a new runner (and seriously, I am a red faced sweating jogger - so not a runner)
    You are a runner.
    and there is so much conflicting advice out there that I don't know if I should be just adding mileage or time, or doing speed intervals or what. I want, at this point, to get a bit faster.
    Mostly in the beginning, you should add miles. Once you're doing 10 miles a week, you can add some speed work (and you'll see definite results) but it depends on your focus. If you want to stick with 5-10ks, speed work is going to be more of a focus.

My current area of interest is my half marathon so I'm slowing down my speed work and just focusing on base miles. If I want to race a particular 5k, I'll add it back in for that race.
    How often do you guys go out? Is it close to every day? I have been mostly going every second day as my shifts allow, but (specific aches, pains and whinges excepted) I feel like my legs are not always needing a rest day after every run now.
    Three days a week for running. I'm at the point where I really should add one more day, but I just don't see it in my schedule. If you want to do more than four days a week, you should have a particular reason for doing so. For example, you will go insane if you don't run every day.

Other than that, you will do better with recovery/cross training. You actually build fitness in recovery. You also want to have one complete rest day (not even yoga, just rest and stretching) one day a week anyway, so don't run more than 6 days a week.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I've been going through a huge book reading binge so I haven't been online. I'm thrilled to be reading again.

I'm in week 5 of the One Hour Runner plan. Tomorrow will be the longest run of my life, 38 minutes. I've noticed that my comfortable running pace is getting faster and I feel like I can run longer. Sometimes I think; 30 minutes isn't that long, but then I think, heck yes it is, 30 minutes without stopping is huge, 3 months ago I couldn't run 3 minutes without stopping.

I went through a phase where I dreaded my runs, but I just kept going. I realized it was my route that I didn't enjoy, so I switched routes. I also started listening to running podcasts instead of music while and that makes the time go by much faster.

Welcome to all our new friends and congrats to those of you reaching your goals! I'm going to be more balanced with my time so I'll be here more.

Good for you!

Isn't it funny how quickly ridiculous amounts of running become "too little, too slow"?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I am going to assume the hill yesterday is why my bum hurts so much today. Outer side bum muscles, and the gym kind of sore, not the something wrong kind of sore...

Probably - that's the sign of a good hill workout! Keep that up and you will get a lot stronger.

YAY!
    (ouch)

Yup!!

And you should be feeling downhills in your quads, not your knees or shins. (when you start running the downhill).
  • likitisplit
    Options
    On a brighter note, I hit my ultimate goal weight this morning and am now officially on maintenance!

I'm going to buy new running shoes today or tomorrow, hoping that will help some of the issues I'm having with sore feet and knees.

Yay on the goal weight!!!

And it sounds like you are over-due on the shoes.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options

I'm so sorry that you had a terrible run! Are you standing tall?

Yep! I'll back out and at it again tomorrow before work - you guys keep me going :flowerforyou:
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I try to get out to run three times a week. Lately that has been a real challenge. I did get out for a dark, hilly 3 miles tonight in my neighborhood. It was a balmy 36 degrees and the moon was bright enough to cast my shadow. I forgot about one hazard of winter running...the pea gravel. I slipped around a little, but managed to avoid calamity. Iran more toward the middle of the road since traffic was light to non-existent. I felt good at my usual 12 min pace (*sigh* One pace pony.) I repeated the same hill four times and finished on one more steep long grade, so not terrible. Funny how I used to hope for the ability to make it 3 miles and wish for a 12 minute pace. Now I do three miles with hills at 12, and still kind of feel like it wasn't enough. I'm looking forward to a nice, long run on Sunday. I'm thinking I will do run/walk intervals for a change of pace (maybe literally, since I'm usually faster that way). I haven't done that for a while.
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    Ceci! Congratulations on making your goal weight! That is soooo awesome!!!!

Cheryl-Glad you are back! I wrote my previous post about how funny it is that a once awesome achievement -3 miles- can now seem like it isn't enough, before I read your post. Yes! It is still awesome. :-) You just reminded me of that!

Dip- Listen to Varda, she gives good advice! ;-)

Yamsteroo- Go out and kill it tomorrow!
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Did a speed interval run today, 400 M run/100 M walk for 10 reps. I was feeling speedy today, did a 5K in just over 37 minutes, pretty good for me, especially since I was walking every 400 Meters. I almost hit 10 min/mil during my speed intervals. Considering 10 min or below is my goal, I'm feeling pretty good about this 5K improver program. Next week I will progress to 500M run/100 M walk
  • solardippo
    solardippo Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I think instead of blindly following the app on my phone that has had me running nearly an hour 3 times a week I am going to move to just one long app-recorded run a week, a day on that hill and a faster 5k attempt Parkrun on saturday mornings. I feel like there should be another day in there as well - another longish slow?
    If you do another day, it should be a long slow one. The hill would be considered interval training and the 5k would be a tempo run. So that's a lot of speedwork. Which is consistent with "Run Less, Run Faster" but that can be a contentious philosophy.

I'm SOOO excited to hear about the parkrun. It's going to be awesome.

Parkrun Ran. Run. Well, there was some significant walking but that was because oh my, who moved that park to the top of a jaggy mountain? I swear there was not a single flat section, just hills that went up for a very long time and went down for a little bit before going up again. And the route takes in the biggest hill 3 times.

But I did it. About 50 people there, some of whom lapped me, but they were all really nice. I will be going back next week I think. I have a time to beat now! (31.45) The Parkrun website is great for statistics and a 15 year old boy came up behind me in the final seconds so there was a very short sprint finish... And I wasn't last but I really wasn't far off it.

Thank you Vardaeml for all the sense you have talked at me.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    It's been a little while since I checked in last. I strained my SI joint last week and it's been painful off and on for a little over a week now. Doc gave me some anti-inflammatory/pain meds. He said if it was still bad by the end of this week he will send me to PT. He said my running won't negatively impact my SI joint issues, so I can run as long as I feel up to it. I finished my 10k training plan on Saturday. I finished the 6.2 miles in 1:25:45, an average pace of 13:50. I saw a t-shirt on Facebook this week that describes me quite well. "I run. I'm slower than Internet Explorer on a 90's dial up connection, but I run."

My back was hurting pretty bad earlier this week, so I missed my Monday run to kick of my 15k training plan. No pain today, so I got in 4 miles in 38 degree weather with a crazy wind.

That t-shirt is funny!

Hope your SI joint recovers quickly.

What 15K training plan are you following?
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    6 mile run today. Usually it starts to feel good in the 3rd mile. Hamstrings started to tighten up about 3.5 and never loosened up again. By 5.5 the run was feeling pretty brutal but I gutted out the last half mile. Had a 1.7 mile cool-down walk and a 0.3 mile warm-up walk so 8 miles total. It was one of those runs where I'm just glad that it's over. :smile:

Looking at the data when I got home I was running faster than usual so maybe that's why it hurt. Last Saturday's 5 mile run (which felt amazing) took 1:04:08 with an average speed of 12:48. Today's 6 mile run took 1:14:03 with an average speed of 12:19. That's a pretty significant increase in speed for me, especially considering I ran an extra mile.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Didn't have a great running week so far this week. I didn't run Monday after running Saturday and Sunday. Had water aerobics on Tuesday. Wednesday was cold and I just didn't feel like running outside, so I figured I try the treadmill again. I got two miles in and my knee was screaming, so I stopped. Since I was at the gym I did the weight machines for my arms. I looked at the leg weight machines and then decided to talk to the woman who was working at the desk (meaning she's being paid by the company to help with employee fitness in some way). Normally it's a guy at the desk named Keith who was the one who gave me the stretches to do after my runs that have worked so well. Wednesday was the first time in two weeks that my knee has been complaining and swollen.
    Anyway this woman talked to me, had me do a squat, and pointed out that as I do it I shift most of my weight to my good leg and that it's probably not a good exercise for me at the moment. She did encourage me to do the leg machines and continue the stretches and to use the exercise cycle rather than the treadmill when I don't run outside.
    Thursday I had no time to do much, plus my knee was still quite unhappy.
    Friday, I tried to come up with any excuse I could think of to avoid exercise, but it was a beautiful reasonably temperature day and I had the time, so no excuse would come to me. I ran 5k, with my IT band and knee complaining somewhat, not really bad, most of the run. Finished, stretched and iced.
    Was a little stiff this morning. Went to my water aerobics double class (90 minutes) and I'm feeling good tired, the sort you feel when you've really exercised, tired, not sleep, and nothing is sore.
    Tomorrow I'm planning to run longer than I have been, probably will go for run 5 miles or run/walk for 6.
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    7 miles today, first time at that distance...pace was 10:05 overall. 61 degrees this morning after being 19 my last run. but the wind heading back was fierce..

started running late August and i'm pretty excited how far I have come since then...more confident now that I'll be able to tackle that 25k in February.
  • solardippo
    solardippo Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Didn't have a great running week so far this week. ....

But a pretty awesome sounding exercise week I would say.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Today my wife & I did a 10-mile course run for the Atlanta Half Marathon. It was nice to get a taste of the actual race course we'll be on in less than 2 weeks. I stayed with the 2-hour pace group until about halfway through the run. They were supposed to be running about 30 seconds slower than actual race pace but we started out a bit fast before they slowed it down after 3 miles or so. When we hit the halfway point I started moving ahead of them (which will be my race strategy). The last two miles I did about 8:00 pace and nearly caught the 1:50 pace group (where my wife was running). Overall my pace was 9:07, which is nearly exactly the 2-hour race pace.

Parts of the run were a bit depressing - we went through some bad parts of Atlanta and it was sad to see so many homeless people. At a food kitchen there were hundreds lined up for breakfast. These are the parts we never see until an event like this. It makes me feel thankful for having a good roof over our heads and a warm bed to sleep in at night.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Did my first spin class today and then went to get new running shoes. Can't wait to try them out tomorrow!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Just finished a great 3.8 mile group trail run with the local running store folks. A rep from Pearl Izumi was there to let us test drive their trail shoes. The shoes felt great although I think I prefer my Montrails. Thankfully it was warm because the mist soon turned into a light rain. It felt good and we took it slow after yesterday's hard run. Afterwards we all gathered at Dutch Monkey Doughnuts for some treats & coffee. What a great way to start our Sunday! And I just hit 50 miles for the month!
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    A quick 2miles yesterday as I was pushed for time - didn't put my Garmin on but it was over a known course and I think I probably did it in the early 20s ... nothing amazing I'm sure but certainly nothing horrible like my last run so I'm more than happy!

This week and next are going to be very tricky to get 'proper' runs in as there's been a bloody coup at work meaning we've lost a director so my days off have been effectively cancelled for this week coming plus I'll be working longer hours to sort some things out. Next week I'm back at the hospital to get my eye 'fixed' again so that usually means loss of depth of field for a day or so.

I might just take the chance to stop the longer runs for a week or two and do 3 or 4 short runs each week instead. With any luck I'll come back fresher and faster ..... oh ok, just fresher lol
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    I just read and caught up on everyone's activities this week and they are truly inspiring! It was a great week.

I'm a bit jealous of Tim getting to try out free gear! I was also touched by his description of the areas he ran through during his 10 mile run. We are all very blessed.

Great run, Dip! Your Parkrun sounds great!

Bts- Your week was an awesome exercise week. Dip is right!

Yamsteroo- I feel for you. My work life has gone crazy too. We will just have to make do as we can!

Laura- Great job on your 6 miles! It is amazing the difference even a 15 second shift in pace can make. I can't wait to get a HRM to help me better gauge my efforts.

I ran 8 miles for the first time tonight. It took me 1:37. But my time at the 10K point was a whole 6 mins faster than the first time I ran that distance. I only planned to run 7, but I felt good, so I decided to push out the extra mile. I'm sore, but happy. I had a 100 foot climb in the 6th mile, but my 7th mile was almost as fast as the first few. The last mile was pretty slow.
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    7 miles today, first time at that distance...pace was 10:05 overall. 61 degrees this morning after being 19 my last run. but the wind heading back was fierce..

started running late August and i'm pretty excited how far I have come since then...more confident now that I'll be able to tackle that 25k in February.

Wow, joedefro! You've only been running since August?! That's some awesome progress