Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,985 Member
    Options
    Polly is TOTALLY the cutest thing EVER! Happy birthday dnamouse!

Nice protein ingestion, manic....My protein yesterday was 57g.

rzarley - I like to take measurements in LOTS of places, although I end up only concerned with 3: shoulders/natural waist/hips. I also take measurements of neck, R bicep, chest (over nipples), chest (bra band), belly-button waist, R upper thigh, R mid thigh, R calf.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Ha! Beeps, how many days does that make me? :wink: I like your challenge with my challenge, Gives me something to work on.

My shoulder is killing me today. It's raining and the shoulder workout yesterday isn't helping the matter.

JO, yeah, I will check out your diary. thanks.

Didn't wake up hungry so protein might be a little lower today. I am still aiming for 75 g though.
  • marieann82
    marieann82 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday, dnamouse!

NSV: I added 10#'s to my dead lift this morning--60lbs plus the bar (I don't know what the bar weighs?) Pretty happy about that. Feeling jittery and drank down my protein when I got home.

Is anybody more hungry on recovery days then lifting days? I certainly am.

My sweet MIL sent my a Macy's card for my birthday. Went to find some jeans. The curvy 10 was way too big so I was looking for a curvy 8 that I didn't find--so I grabbed the regular 8 and IT FIT! I feel like it must be a fluke since I just started NROL4W (I did a month of NROL4L beforehand--maybe that has helped) but it was quite a confidence booster!

Wondering when you all saw a change in your back? My arms are shaping up nicely already (they are always the first place that responds) and so excited to see results in my back.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday Ladies!

Dna- Have a happy birthday my fellow Taurus!!! (mine's on the 19th)

Rzarley- You'll be OK. you can get over the anxiety. I still get embarrassed every once in a while. I am glad you have someone that makes you stronger, and more confident. That is a great!

Manic- I am going to pay closer attention to my protein.

Pudding- I hope you are feeling better today.

Willlift- I am confident you can do whatever you put your mind to. Don't get discouraged with logging.

Beeps- I look back at the dress I missed it too! You look amazing!

Marieann- the Olympic bar is 45 lbs. ....so 105lbs. is great! I notice a change starting in my back about Stage 3, but I'm sure everyone is different.

I am doing good going to try mixed grip tonight, and see how my deadlifts go, and my little NSV is that I can now actually see a bicep muscle line now when I try it is no longer covered by a layer of fat!!!!

Have a good weekend y'all!!
  • sunshinelively
    sunshinelively Posts: 249 Member
    Options

. i can do a fat shred later, after i've built up some muscle. the older you get, the more you lose muscle. if you gain and lose weight multiple times, every time you lose, you lose muscle and fat and gain back fat only. which left me with a high body fat percentage and low muscularity. a set up for a frail old age and weak bones to boot.

^^^ This is total bro science and you will have ZERO research to back up this position....do whatever you want, for yourself, but I am writing this response to MAKE SURE all the ladies here at NROL4W chat do NOT think there is any SCIENCE behind the 3 sentences you wrote!

hmmm. well ok then. i guess youre' an expert of some kind? i'm open to hearing what you think is the correct interpretation. what is bro science?

seen quite a bit of research showing how you lose muscle as you age, esp if you don't use it. i'll attach a link that contains a nice summary. http://www.ismni.org/jmni/pdf/38/02MALTAIS.pdf
  • manic4titans
    Options
    Marie, I think all of us (who have been on here a while) established that fact. LOL I lift 4 days a week M, T, TH, F so I'm always hungry. :laugh: ANd you are deadlifting 105!!! That's great.

I didn't wake up hungry but I am starvin' Marvin now.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,985 Member
    Options
    5 hours until take-off!! GO LIFT HEAVY THINGS, ladies!

Alas, I am not.

For all of you who LOVE you some cardio, I'm doing this FOR YOU as I walk, walk, walk around everywhere! I have running shoes on right now, in fact....such a lovely fashion statement for the airport/airplane!

BOOM!
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    TGIF all!!

Beeps @ cardio...wohoo!!!

Marie, I do not know if our Oly bars are the same, but the one I use is 45lbs...way to go!!!

I agree, the arms are usually the first to show (initial) definition - at least for my case.

Today was my Total Body Composition Analysis....and am quite chuffed, I must say!! Compared to last month, body fat percentage has dropped by 1.4%; BF dropped by 3.6 lbs....!! Lean Body Mass (LBM) - and therefore the Lean Segmental Mass in each area, like right arm, left arm etc - however did drop, granted by an almost negligible number...Intracellular and extracellular water also dropped!!

I cannot wait for my next month's appointment to see how that goes.

I treated myself to a glass of Moscato wine for lunch, and a pair of new hard rocking spaghetti strap wedges!!

Lift on ladies!! :flowerforyou:
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Beeps, I hope you have a wonderful time on your trip and you wear out those running shoes!

Marianne, a sz 8 is great! Yes, I'm usually starving on my non-lifting days.

Manic, you're doing great on the protein. Do you feel better when you eat more protein? I always do.

Surgery went well and I'm having a hard time keeping the little guy from doing too much. I'll try to lift tomorrow. Didn't log my food yesterday or today. Just needed a mini-break from it.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options

. i can do a fat shred later, after i've built up some muscle. the older you get, the more you lose muscle. if you gain and lose weight multiple times, every time you lose, you lose muscle and fat and gain back fat only. which left me with a high body fat percentage and low muscularity. a set up for a frail old age and weak bones to boot.

^^^ This is total bro science and you will have ZERO research to back up this position....do whatever you want, for yourself, but I am writing this response to MAKE SURE all the ladies here at NROL4W chat do NOT think there is any SCIENCE behind the 3 sentences you wrote!

hmmm. well ok then. i guess youre' an expert of some kind? i'm open to hearing what you think is the correct interpretation. what is bro science?

seen quite a bit of research showing how you lose muscle as you age, esp if you don't use it. i'll attach a link that contains a nice summary. http://www.ismni.org/jmni/pdf/38/02MALTAIS.pdf

Sunshine, I agree- most of us have much less muscle because of age, diet, hormones, etc than we think. Not total broscience. I understand your reasoning for wanting to wait to cut- I thought about doing a recomp or even a bulk at a higher BF% until I read some of Lyle McDonald's stuff (here's one: www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/initial-body-fat-and-body-composition-changes.html). I didn't have the patience for recomp, and a bulk would have resulted in more fat than muscle gain.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Barbell, I feel like I need a break from logging, too. However, I'm terribly afraid I'll just eat loads of carbs and little protein :grumble:

Marie, that sounds like some awesome deadlifting :flowerforyou: I haven't quite hit 80 lbs yet :embarassed:

I have a NSV but it's... embarrassing :blushing: So, can we all just take my word for it?

DH and DS have baseball and I usually run on the track but since I'm taking the week off, I'm going to enjoy the quiet time at home. I'm over on cals today and I really want some wine :grumble:

Marianne, finding clothes that fit is always a positive experience!

My workout clothes come from Target.

Be, those improvements look pretty awesome to me!
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Options
    i find i have to be totally committed to the idea that in the long run it will be better for me to have a more muscular body. i can do a fat shred later, after i've built up some muscle. the older you get, the more you lose muscle. if you gain and lose weight multiple times, every time you lose, you lose muscle and fat and gain back fat only. which left me with a high body fat percentage and low muscularity. a set up for a frail old age and weak bones to boot.

it's a psychological game changer. when you're used to calorie restriction and cardio and the scale, it's harder - yet totally necessary - to make the jump to a program that's a lot of work now for a benefit that seems further down the line.

I am going to read this article more thoroughly later, and I am not doubt some muscle mass loss due to age, and or hormone changes within the body. I also do not doubt as we age it is harder to gain muscle mass, again hormones, metabolism play a big part of this process. Please remember it is hard to put on muscle....period. Even men work hard to gain muscle mass. Women lack don't have the levels of testosterone men do...that makes it even harder for us to put on muscle mass, and next to impossible to gain the bulk of a man.
    if you gain and lose weight multiple times, every time you lose, you lose muscle and fat and gain back fat only. which left me with a high body fat percentage and low muscularity. a set up for a frail old age and weak bones to boot.

This is where I have a problem with your statement:

a) yes it is true if you eat at a deficit you do not add muscle, but lifting you can maintain the muscle you already have. At a 20 % deficit of your TDEE you will lose very little of your muscle mass that you currently have. if you are lifting heavy.

b) Lifting heavy has actually shown to reduce the loss of bone density with age, and my even help build new bone in postmenopausal women, and those who suffer with osteoporosis. (I can find the article again, and provide you some links if you want)

c) Why do you think that just because you lose SOME muscle mass, anything you gain back is ONLY going to be fat? If you are working out steadily, and you decrease your deficit from 20% to 10%. So you are eating closer to maintenance calories why can you not put on muscle mass? Why ONLY fat? If that were true body builders would never gain the little bit of muscle they lost on a cut cycle, and would never be able to add muscle mass.

Please if someone can add to this, or if someone sees a flaw in my research let me know. While I am some what knowledgeable of the bodies anatomy/physiology, I am far from an Anatomy/ Physiology major. There are so many medical sources, and other source that may or may not be reputable, or no longer valid. I also acknowledge that all research papers, and articles are open to an individuals interpretation of said article, or source.

With that said, if I am mistaken on a view I would love to be corrected, and am fond of critiquing. I do promise to read your source more thoroughly, and am curious as to why you came away with the thought process you did. :happy:
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Btw, my protein goal is 122g.... I meet that most days. Check out my diary if you like - no protein shakes in sight! xx

I took a look and I'm going to have to Google half your list :tongue: I feel pretty ignorant. However, maybe I'll find myself a new food treasure! :drinker:
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Options
    See this is a prime example of what I am talking about with interpretation. I missed it until I just read barbellcowgirls response to your statement. I see why you would want to concentrate on muscle gain, and wait to cut fat until later, but I am still concerned mostly by your last two statements of bone loss, and only able to gain fat after losing some muscle mass.
  • sunshinelively
    Options
    You're misinterpreting what I'm saying.

In the past I've lost weight thru cardio and calorie restriction. Then gained back weight when not exercising at all. Then lost that weight through cardio and calorie restriction again. My point is that if you do this a few times, the net result will be a loss of muscle mass and gaining weight that is all fat.

Where I am today is I have to both lose fat and rebuild muscle. I'm trying to do this by doing the NROL4W program. So far, only at the end of stage 1, I have not seen big changes like I am used to with cardio/cal restriction method. Ergo, I conclude that at my age and with the amount of muscle I want to put back and the 20 lb of fat I want to lose, it will likely be a slow process, but one that will eventually work.

Due to having gone thru the change of life, I am afraid to use cardio/cal restriction alone since it will result in further loss of muscle. Therefore I will have to be satisfied with a longer term process.

My feedback was to a member who had gained and lost weight several times - the caution is that repeating this cycle only undermines health in the long run. Heavy weight training is the better way to go, even if it takes longer to show results.

Furthermore, the older you get the more you will lose muscle if you do not do any resistance exercise. When you lose muscle, as per article, you also lose bone density. So, the time to start weight training is sooner not later.
    Hope this helps clear up any misunderstanding.
  • sunshinelively
    Options
    See this is a prime example of what I am talking about with interpretation. I missed it until I just read barbellcowgirls response to your statement. I see why you would want to concentrate on muscle gain, and wait to cut fat until later, but I am still concerned mostly by your last two statements of bone loss, and only able to gain fat after losing some muscle mass.

Basically I'm afraid that the program might not work as well for someone of my age - if it doesn't give me the results I want after completing 6 months of NROL4W, I will only then try a cardio shred, because by then, I reason, I will have put some muscle back on, and could theoretically withstand a brief 3 month cardio shred. But I don't really know if this is the right thing to do, it's just me hedging my bets.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Sunshine, yep, I think Beeps misinterpreted what you were saying as well.
    We start losing muscle (if we aren't strength training) in our 20's. That alone should be enough to convince women to hold onto what precious muscle they have left even if they don't make efforts to gain some.
    Did you just start lifting? If so, my guess is you'll be amazed at what a difference you will make in your body in a year with just lifting and eating at maintenance.
  • sunshinelively
    Options
    Sunshine, yep, I think Beeps misinterpreted what you were saying as well.
    We start losing muscle (if we aren't strength training) in our 20's. That alone should be enough to convince women to hold onto what precious muscle they have left even if they don't make efforts to gain some.
    Did you just start lifting? If so, my guess is you'll be amazed at what a difference you will make in your body in a year with just lifting and eating at maintenance.

Thanks cowgirl, exactly. I did strength training for about 3-4 years in my 30s, but when I started having children, stopped. My now ex husband and I used to lift together. Obviously he's out of the picture now for the last 8 years. The gain-lose cycles started after my second child was born. Started the cardio shreds at age 40, gained and lost 4x. I've kept 20 off for a year, but want to lose 20 more.

Are you suggesting to eat at maintenance and just life for a year? Even w 20 lb to go? I am 5't5" 148 lb.
    Just started weight training again
  • manic4titans
    Options
    117 g protein and 1443 calories . I can't imagine eating much more tonight! I am stuffed. per scooby calculator BMR is around 1300 and TDE is 1700-1900, I can't quite remember the #'s.

This is what I've had today:
    yogurt
    2 c corn pops 1 c milk
    canned tuna
    protein shake
    7 oz turkey
    3/4 peas and carrots
    1/2 c dumplings'
    1/2 c ice cream

Majority of this was consumed from 1:30 -6:30. I didn't get up until 10 :noway: and the yogurt was preworkout.

I want to do this right this time. I didn't see much change with NROL4W. I think the problem was the protein intake. we'll see if this works.

sunshine, I am 5'5 and 152. I am pure FAT on butt and thighs! and I MEAN fatty. I am tossing the scales and focusing on lifting. It was me who posted about the vicious cycle. I am tired of it. This time it's for my health. Yes, I will have the occasional cookie, pie, or whatever BUT I want to keep my protein HIGH.

Lauren, the bombshell, noticed me today. She mentioned she saw me lifting heavy first. Also, I found out that last summer she competed. She was so THIN and zero body fat. If I can figure out how to blur her face and post a pic on here I'll show you what she looked like competing and now. She says she won't do that again. She was too grumpy, tired, and hungry. I think she looks better with more fat on her.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Sunshine, I think it depends upon your patience level, your goals, and how your body responds. If your main goal is muscle and strength right now, eating at maintenance or just below maintenance may bring a lot of changes to your body. If you're really concerned about fat loss, do a little more of a deficit and see what happens. I know some women, like Samntha14, who found that their bodies changed drastically with lifting and a 10lbs loss.

I'm 5'5" and 144lbs. I thought I would need to weigh in the 130s to get to a mini-goal of a 28" waist, but I currently have a 27.5" waist (in the mornings, LOL). To get to my desired "look" and BF%, I think I need to lose 10-15lbs and then bulk or do a recomp depending upon how much muscle I actually have under this fat. But my goal has changed from trying to get the fat off quickly to maintaining my strength and muscle mass. I don't do even a 20% deficit. I just want to keep seeing a slow downward trend on the scale and inches!

Manic, you are killing the protein! I don't keep eating if I'm full once I've met my protein goals. I don't see the point in stuffing myself. Some days I net pretty low due to my activity, other days I'm well above what I need. It all evens out.