Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I ran yesterday morning, 4.25 miles including speed intervals. Had been sick Tuesday & Wednesday so wasn't sure how it would feel but it was good. We had an event at work Wednesday & Thursday so I saw my trainer at 6:30 last night and again at 7:30 this morning. Tomorrow he wants me to run 14 miles. That should be interesting.

Good luck with your run tomorrow, that could be a tough one after being ill.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Ran 14 miles this morning - new long distance for me. Took me 3:02:42. My pace was quite a bit slower than last week's 12 mile run, but I also felt a lot better. Fueled a little more often (2.5 miles instead of 3) and walked through them instead of trying to run during them. Last week I had to stop & stretch a few times in the final 4 miles and this week I was able to keep going.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Ran 14 miles this morning - new long distance for me. Took me 3:02:42. My pace was quite a bit slower than last week's 12 mile run, but I also felt a lot better. Fueled a little more often (2.5 miles instead of 3) and walked through them instead of trying to run during them. Last week I had to stop & stretch a few times in the final 4 miles and this week I was able to keep going.

That's totally awesome!! Way to go!
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Today we ran the course route for a 5K we have coming up in 2 weeks. It's in the town where we live, and I've driven those roads countless times, but it seemed so much different running it. I'm glad we did that - now I know what to expect. It's definitely not as flat as I remember driving it. The hills seem much more daunting now. It's great for the first mile, mostly flat but slightly downhill from the race starting point. I think this will be the downfall of many runners - going out too fast on the downhill in the first quarter mile. We hit the first hill at 1.1 miles - a short but steep hill. The second at 1.25 which is not as steep. Then at 1.35 miles a hill that climbs steadily up to 1.6 miles. After that it's a piece of cake. I just need to hold back the first mile of the race so I can tackle those hills. After the last hill I'm going all-out. My target time is 21-something and I think I can manage that for a 5K.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Today we ran the course route for a 5K we have coming up in 2 weeks. It's in the town where we live, and I've driven those roads countless times, but it seemed so much different running it. I'm glad we did that - now I know what to expect. It's definitely not as flat as I remember driving it. The hills seem much more daunting now. It's great for the first mile, mostly flat but slightly downhill from the race starting point. I think this will be the downfall of many runners - going out too fast on the downhill in the first quarter mile. We hit the first hill at 1.1 miles - a short but steep hill. The second at 1.25 which is not as steep. Then at 1.35 miles a hill that climbs steadily up to 1.6 miles. After that it's a piece of cake. I just need to hold back the first mile of the race so I can tackle those hills. After the last hill I'm going all-out. My target time is 21-something and I think I can manage that for a 5K.

Isn't it funny how different familiar roads (for driving) are when you're on foot? Especially the hills. Last year shortly after graduating from C25K I set out to run a 5K that I had never done before. My niece had so she told me the route and I went and practiced it a couple of times. They had to move the start line because of construction in the parking lot where the start line usually was, which wasn't a big deal, but for some reason they also switched it so you ran the route in the opposite direction, and there was one big hill right in the middle of the route. Never seemed particularly big running down it! But I had been incorporating hills into my training runs so I was able to run up it. In September I did another 5K where most of the first mile is downhill and I made the exact mistake you're going to prevent - went way too fast. Knew I was going too fast, and couldn't check myself in. Needless to say I was walking up that stupid hill at the end, even though again I had trained on it in anticipation of the race. Do you have a goal time?
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Laura - my goal is anything under 22 minutes. My coach thinks 21:30-21:45 is where I should end up. We'll see!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Laura - my goal is anything under 22 minutes. My coach thinks 21:30-21:45 is where I should end up. We'll see!

Nice! As fast as you are, that seems totally doable.
  • timeasterday
    Options

Thanks! As long as I race smart I should be able to hit that time. I think my fitness level is there, it's just the mental part that also has to come through.

Today was a nice 10-mile long run at 9:44 avg pace. I hit 30 miles for the week - my highest weekly mileage yet. The next two weeks will be 33 & 35 miles before going back down to 30. I can't believe the year is almost halfway over! But I'm looking forward to my marathon training and really cranking up those long runs!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    I ran 4 miles this morning. I guess it would be considered an easy run, but I can't say it necessarily felt easy and my pace was on the slow side even for me. Can I call it a recovery run after my first 14 miler on Saturday? In the interests of multi-tasking I drove to the laundromat, threw a comforter & a quilt in the wash, ran a new route from there (which was hillier than I expected - again I drive those roads but have never run on them), retrieved my clean laundry, stopped at the gym to do my usual weekend hip/shoulder exercises with resistance bands and get in a good stretch/foam roll, then came home & hung my blankets on the clothesline. Was checked into the gym before 7:00 am. I love productive mornings. I have spent most of the rest of the day at home being lazy. It's 84 degrees right now, which is nothing for most of you but when you consider it was snowing here as recently as 2 weeks ago, I'm not at all acclimated.
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    So sorry guys and gals, I've been a round just nutso busy!!! I see I've missed a lot, but no time to catch up either :(
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Just short of 10k tonight as I keep pushing along with B210K. W3D1, a little slower than my last run last week, but I felt strong during it. I just kept plugging along with a pace I knew I could keep up for the 17min sessions. Both my walk breaks came on a downhill session too :( Sucks walking downhill when I could be running LOL.
    I need to find a new little loop to add another 100m or so the route today to make it up to 10k. Either that or I take the new route I figured out that will push me closer to 11 point something with more elevation change. Might try the new route tomorrow as tonights run was an off schedule makeup run.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Friday I ran c25k w4d1 with my friend.

Saturday, I had my fastest long ride to date- almost 40 miles with an average pace of 15.8 mph! It was awesome! I had enough energy at the end to pass everybody on a hill that I couldn't even make it up this time last year!

I pretty much did nothing the rest of the long weekend and won't be able to do anything today either! Oh well, back at it tomorrow!
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    First run back after holiday. 2.5km in 15:44
    Not going to lie that felt horrible. Will have to build distance back up, two weeks of eating rubbish and drinking beer lol
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Thanks! As long as I race smart I should be able to hit that time. I think my fitness level is there, it's just the mental part that also has to come through.

Today was a nice 10-mile long run at 9:44 avg pace. I hit 30 miles for the week - my highest weekly mileage yet. The next two weeks will be 33 & 35 miles before going back down to 30. I can't believe the year is almost halfway over! But I'm looking forward to my marathon training and really cranking up those long runs!

I just noticed - it has been a dog's-age since the last time you were injured. Great job! And it's terrific that you have a sub-22 minute goal. That is tremendous.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I ran 4 miles this morning. I guess it would be considered an easy run, but I can't say it necessarily felt easy and my pace was on the slow side even for me. Can I call it a recovery run after my first 14 miler on Saturday? In the interests of multi-tasking I drove to the laundromat, threw a comforter & a quilt in the wash, ran a new route from there (which was hillier than I expected - again I drive those roads but have never run on them), retrieved my clean laundry, stopped at the gym to do my usual weekend hip/shoulder exercises with resistance bands and get in a good stretch/foam roll, then came home & hung my blankets on the clothesline. Was checked into the gym before 7:00 am. I love productive mornings. I have spent most of the rest of the day at home being lazy. It's 84 degrees right now, which is nothing for most of you but when you consider it was snowing here as recently as 2 weeks ago, I'm not at all acclimated.

Love it! And yes, you were totally recovering from Saturday. Hell, I don't think I ran for three days after my half. (As a matter of fact, I think I got sick right after and didn't run for a couple weeks.)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    First run back after holiday. 2.5km in 15:44
    Not going to lie that felt horrible. Will have to build distance back up, two weeks of eating rubbish and drinking beer lol

:)

I still do Becky's recovery recipe: half mile run, one minute walk for two miles when I've been off for more than a week.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    I just noticed - it has been a dog's-age since the last time you were injured. Great job! And it's terrific that you have a sub-22 minute goal. That is tremendous.

Yeah I've had some pain here and there but nothing major. Saw the ART therapist a couple of times this year but she wasn't concerned. She says my body is getting in balance and I should expect some aches now and then. I've come a long way from my first 5k nearly 18 months ago. From 26:44 to 21-something would be awesome.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    W3D2 of B210K for me, headed out on my new slightly modified route aiming as always on these to just kick along at an easyish pace. When I left the house, the sky looked ok, but about 1k in it started to shower which continued on and off for most of my run. Seeing as I thought it was going to be clear I wasn't wearing my hat which meant my glasses turned into a blurry kaleidoscope. Just after I got my half way announcement I had a friend call, which I took and managed to hold a conversation on the phone whilst still running. Finished my conversation and continued my run. Got to the cooldown notice from my phone, but I was feeling good and strong, so I kept running until I was nearly home and the workout 'finished'.

Got home and checked my stats on Strava, fastest 10K (60:16) 2nd fasted (by strava) 5k and my fastest 5k on my home route. (28:49). Whoo all done on a run where I felt like I could keep going for another 20 or so minutes as well if I wanted to.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Yeah I've had some pain here and there but nothing major. Saw the ART therapist a couple of times this year but she wasn't concerned. She says my body is getting in balance and I should expect some aches now and then. I've come a long way from my first 5k nearly 18 months ago. From 26:44 to 21-something would be awesome.

Love it. I was really worried about you last year.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    W3D2 of B210K for me, headed out on my new slightly modified route aiming as always on these to just kick along at an easyish pace. When I left the house, the sky looked ok, but about 1k in it started to shower which continued on and off for most of my run. Seeing as I thought it was going to be clear I wasn't wearing my hat which meant my glasses turned into a blurry kaleidoscope. Just after I got my half way announcement I had a friend call, which I took and managed to hold a conversation on the phone whilst still running. Finished my conversation and continued my run. Got to the cooldown notice from my phone, but I was feeling good and strong, so I kept running until I was nearly home and the workout 'finished'.

Got home and checked my stats on Strava, fastest 10K (60:16) 2nd fasted (by strava) 5k and my fastest 5k on my home route. (28:49). Whoo all done on a run where I felt like I could keep going for another 20 or so minutes as well if I wanted to.

That is great fitness. I'm kind of concerned because 4 miles is feeling pretty much all I can do right now and that isn't right.