Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    We had a hard track workout last night and I am still feeling tired this morning. We started off with 2 miles slow to warm up. Then 3x100m strides to get the legs ready to run faster. Then 2 miles at half-marathon pace (8:00). Then 6x400m at 5K race pace (7:00). And finally a 2 mile cooldown run. Tonight will be a slow easy run and tomorrow is a day off (thank God).
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Oops. So, I didn't end up running on Saturday, so I ran on Sunday. That meant that I had to wait until Tuesday for my "long" run.

Massage at lunch and personal training in the afternoon on Wednesday.

Thursday, I usually run in the AM because it's my WFH day and I don't have the commute. But I worked from home on Tuesday, so I could attend Nina's preschool orientation, so I work at work today. I have a brow waxing appointment at lunch and have to pick up the kids after work. I could run at lunch on Friday (treadmill or disgusting heat in an office park)...or wake up early today.

Thank you Nicolette for your virtual run this morning. It was exactly the last bit of motivation I needed to get out the door.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    That is great fitness. I'm kind of concerned because 4 miles is feeling pretty much all I can do right now and that isn't right.

Is your 4 mile limit due to life interferences (Kids/work) or just being lazy (Not likely) If it's life, it sucks but acceptable. Need to work to survive and provide for your kids, and kids come before yourself.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    That is great fitness. I'm kind of concerned because 4 miles is feeling pretty much all I can do right now and that isn't right.

Is your 4 mile limit due to life interferences (Kids/work) or just being lazy (Not likely) If it's life, it sucks but acceptable. Need to work to survive and provide for your kids, and kids come before yourself.

After being sick, I'm trying to work back up to a 90 minute long run (perhaps a bit more than 6.5 miles). I'm at 60 minutes right now, which is around 4 miles. I feel exhausted after 4 - completely done running. Last year at this time, at the end of a 6 mile run, I felt like I could turn around and run for another three miles (which was inaccurate, but that's how I felt).
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    I'm sure you will get back there Varda. Illness can really take its toll on your body. I'm not up to a 90min run. I'm not sure what your running schedule is like, but maybe heading back to the old run/walk may help.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I ran a couple of miles on my own, then did c25k, w5d1 with my friend, for a total of almost 6 miles. We were joined on our run by another co-worker! Finally after 2 years of me trying to get them moving, it is happening! Three people who were not moving much at all are now biking and running on a regular basis!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I ran a couple of miles on my own, then did c25k, w5d1 with my friend, for a total of almost 6 miles. We were joined on our run by another co-worker! Finally after 2 years of me trying to get them moving, it is happening! Three people who were not moving much at all are now biking and running on a regular basis!

You are an inspiration!!!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Varda it sounds like you are in the same place where I was recovering from my eye surgery. Every run felt way harder than it should have, which I let mess with me mentally. Worked it out by just going out a few times and running whatever felt good for a week, without any expectations of what I should do. Did some hill repeats, did an easy run, and did my long run at the track because I just wanted to run without worrying about what to wear (I shed a layer after 2 miles) or carrying fluids or fuels. Just dumped my bag on the bench on the side of the track and ran. Finally got my groove back.

I did my first group run tonight. The race director for the 5K I'm doing on the 4th of July is coordinating an informal group run every Thursday at 6:00 to run the course. Everybody ran at their own pace. It was hot, and it's a hilly course, and I've never run with anyone, so I was muttering to myself "this is such a bad idea" when I got there. It was fun though, and the first 50 people to show up will get a free shirt. I ran with a lady named Gretchen for the first 1.6 miles, at which point she dropped to a walk and I kept going. She wasn't doing well with the heat, and she had shorts on she's never run in before that were rubbing & chafing. I picked it up a bit after that and was only 20 seconds short of my 5K PR, which I'm really happy with considering the heat & hills. I was pretty sure I would be dead last, but out of 20 or so people I had 5 finish behind me, and I was just seconds behind 2 others -- gained some ground on them when they had to walk up the final brutal hill.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Great run Laura, group runs can be interesting I don't mind them.

W2D3 of B210K done and dusted. It was weird run for me today, headed out and felt slower than my last run, had the first walk break kick in and realised I was going along faster than I thought. Kept pushing along with the run and my legs felt a bit dead, I had something like a stitch on both sides, but more towards my back than on my sides. Pushed along and had my second walk break kick in on a downhill, so I ran through it and walked once I was on the flat. I kept pushing along with the program. I seriously felt like I was running slower than before and it was a bit tougher. Program finishes and I'm nearly back home, I ran through some of the walk cool down and got home.
    10k in 58:52 and a new 5k PR for my home circuit of 28:36
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    5km in 31:44. At least I got finished this time and have something to build on.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Varda it sounds like you are in the same place where I was recovering from my eye surgery. Every run felt way harder than it should have, which I let mess with me mentally. Worked it out by just going out a few times and running whatever felt good for a week, without any expectations of what I should do. Did some hill repeats, did an easy run, and did my long run at the track because I just wanted to run without worrying about what to wear (I shed a layer after 2 miles) or carrying fluids or fuels. Just dumped my bag on the bench on the side of the track and ran. Finally got my groove back.

I did my first group run tonight. The race director for the 5K I'm doing on the 4th of July is coordinating an informal group run every Thursday at 6:00 to run the course. Everybody ran at their own pace. It was hot, and it's a hilly course, and I've never run with anyone, so I was muttering to myself "this is such a bad idea" when I got there. It was fun though, and the first 50 people to show up will get a free shirt. I ran with a lady named Gretchen for the first 1.6 miles, at which point she dropped to a walk and I kept going. She wasn't doing well with the heat, and she had shorts on she's never run in before that were rubbing & chafing. I picked it up a bit after that and was only 20 seconds short of my 5K PR, which I'm really happy with considering the heat & hills. I was pretty sure I would be dead last, but out of 20 or so people I had 5 finish behind me, and I was just seconds behind 2 others -- gained some ground on them when they had to walk up the final brutal hill.

Your base is too high to be last.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I've not been posting on here much but I'm still around and running. I've got a Smart Coach running plan for my next race at the end of September and it just has me running short distances at the moment. Yesterday was 3km, it was a warm sunny day, too nice to get all hot and sweaty just for a 20 minute run right? I did eventually drag myself out after tea. The sunny weather put everyone in a good mood, one old man asked me if I was training for the Olympics! I said No, the Commonwealth Games! And when I passed a group of workmen digging up the road they got down in a sprint start position and pretended to race me! Tweaked my thigh weight lifting on Monday so I have been concentrating more on my form and haven't had any more problems with it. Easy 4km tomorrow and next week I get to run 6km, woohoo!
  • AlbionOakley
    Options
    3.6km in 22:44
  • timeasterday
    Options
    5 miles today at slow pace plus a few hill climbs. Then we headed over to the gym and I had my first Insanity class. My wife has been taking it for a few months and has been bugging me to join her. I finally did it and wow, that was hard! I think I will keep taking it every Saturday. Hopefully it will benefit my running and not get me injured.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I ran 10 miles in Houghton, Michigan at the crack of dawn this morning. Ran on a beautiful trail (converted from old railroad tracks) that was paved for 3 miles then turned to gravel (packed gravel, not loose). It goes on for what looks like forever, and I was sorry to turn around. My pace was just under 13 min/miles. My Garmin got a little wonky when I turned around. First it told me I was running 15:33 minute miles (I knew I wasn't going that slow) and then when it beeped at the next mile it immediately dropped to 11:09 (I knew I wasn't going that fast). I haven't downloaded it yet to look at the splits but it averaged me out to just under 13 min/miles, which should be right. Actually that's pretty good considering I stopped 5 times to take photos and walked through fuel breaks every 2.5 miles.

10347483_805603899450298_5400881086825180078_n.jpg

The first 3 miles (that were paved) were hilly - part of the trail was new & went closer to the waterfront instead of being up where the old tracks were. The gravel part was pretty flat & straight.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Laura - that sounds (and looks) like a great run! Nice job!

Today was a nice cool & cloudy morning - perfect for a long run. We drove down to Stone Mountain and went through a few light rain showers on the way. The temp was 71° and no more rain once we got there. I did 11 miles which is a little over two laps on the loop road that encircles the mountain. Always a great place to run with so many other runners out there as well as walkers & bikers. The sun started breaking out about mile 10. I was happy to get that run finished before it warmed up.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Had a really active weekend! I needed it as I had gotten out of the exercise habit while I was on vacation. I did run some, but really had trouble doing anything beyond that. This weekend I took advantage of two beautiful Spring days!

On Saturday morning, I went to my Fitness Studio and did an hour class called Total Body Strength where we did body weight exercises, dumbbell and kettleball exercises, and TRX exercises; moving quickly from one to the other. Then in the afternoon, the dogs and I took a long walk and did some geocaching. We were out for almost 5 hours.

Then this morning, I ran my first Half Marathon! It was a virtual race through Skirt Sports. I took some gels, squeeze stuff, and a water bottle with me. I didn't eat as much as I thought I would because they kindof made me feel sick. Glad I brought the water though! Also, glad that I left the dogs home as it turned out warmer than I was expecting. Just in the 70's, but sunny, and not windy, and so warm when you're running!

The first 6 miles were easy. I walked for 60 seconds every mile. I started feeling tired by mile 7 and more so by mile 8. Seven miles is the most that I had ever done before today. Through miles 9 and10, I walked for 1 minute and then ran for 4 minutes. I mostly continued that through miles 11 and 12, but it got harder and harder. By mile 13, it was closer to 1 minute walking for every 1 minute running. I was using RunKeeper and it announced my distance and pace every 5 minutes. When it said that I had run 13.17 miles, I was so happy!! That was even slightly farther than I was supposed to go! I still had a half mile walk home and it was funny in that one part of my mind kept saying "You're walking. You must run, now!" and then the other side of my mind would say, "No! You finished. You can just walk now.". Guess I had programmed myself in those last few miles, to start running again as soon as my body possibly could.

Once I got home I just rested and ate lightly for a while. Then I decided that I needed to get my treat for running. Looked at local spots like ice cream stores, but nothing appealed. I went to the supermarket and bought eggs and bananas which I needed and then looked for a treat there. Unfortunately, again, I didn't really want any of the treats right then. I had been eating treats all vacation and just didn't feel like eating anything really rich today. I looked at everything in the bakery and all the ice cream. I finally settled on buying a prepared tiny meatloaf that was on sale. I really did enjoy that!

It was very strange for it to be 3 pm and I was still looking at negative calories on MFP. The meatloaf helped fix that some. Although, if things go as they normally do, tomorrow I'll be ravenous. Then I'll eat. :)
  • AlbionOakley
    Options
    today I did squats, overhead press and 20 minutes on the bike at the gym
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Congrats Donna on your virtual half!! Nice job!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Yesterday, I woke up and texted my neighbor if she wanted to run. She had to get the kids fed. I needed to locate socks. She got outside before I did and was waiting on me when my oldest emerged from the bedroom. Normally, I would have hung it up, but I told her to go back to sleep because I needed to run with Kathy (Kathy is also the mom of her BFF, so this kind of makes sense to a 4-year-old). We ran a little over two miles - we could have gone a touch longer, but she'd been on vacation and I didn't want to chance pushing it with Grumpy, who prefers to sleep in on Sunday.

Then the kids wanted to "race" in the afternoon. I've mapped an "out and back" course that's an eighth of a mile (essentially, the distance of three yards in the road in front of our house). That gave me an extra mile. I also won the "medal" one of those times. It's kind of funny, Nina can actually out-run me at shorter distances because she starts so much faster. If I try to pass her, she'll cut in front of me too which totally throws off my stride. I have a bigger kick at the end though :)

Not a bad day at all.