Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• StalgiaPasternak
    StalgiaPasternak Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi,

So I got the book and I'm wondering how to start. I see the Phases but it's all a bit overwhelming really.

I have 60 pounds to lose and just started. Should I cut some BF first before I start heavy lifting?
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Hello

Most people wish they started weight lifting sooner- start now
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    Ok so I had a great weekend- physical therapy, a good amount of sleep, kids off to camp, and I had a hike and a great lifting workout and dinner with my DH at a good restaurant !

Maybe I am easily satisfied but this ranks up there.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,927 Member
    Options
    Until I see signs posted all around the weight room saying "30 minutes only", i'm ignoring ponytail chick. It was a dumb thing for newbiee-staff member to say.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    DNA You are kicking butt and taking names. PM that does sound like a great weekend.
    welcome stalgiapaster! If you are eating at a deficit you will lose scale weight especially as a newbie. Get lifting. Your body will take shape and increase health in amazing ways. We are here to help, so whatever questions you have about the phases you can ask here, look at the FAQ thread or in the individual phase threads. Which series are you doing; 4women, abs, like or supercharged? We;ve done them all pretty much lol.

So I'm feeling positive today. I WENT TO THE GYM AND LIFTED!! WOO HOO!! It kicked my every loving behind after nearly a month off, and I will definitely feel it tomorrow. My hear was pounding the entire time and I had to stop every set to blow my nose. Still drippy :( But I lifted. :happy: My DL was 75lbs. and for everything else I used 15lb dbs. I was actually shocked at doing 2x12 pushups on the floor. I've felt so weak lately and I left off doing 11, so BONUS :bigsmile: It's"high energy good attitude week, but I'm not going to push it. Three lifting sessions and fun with kiddos should do it.

Now if my kids would just stop being annoying (I hate full moons).
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I ran 2 miles this morning and spent 3 hours prepping 10 freezer meals. Apparently, laziness wasn't on my agenda. I need to work on that.

Kroger had some Hatch Pepper Seafood Salad that looked pretty good to me. I tried it last night and it's amazeballs. Good for the protein, too! I read about imitation crab meat online today and it's actually pretty legit stuff despite the name in our new Organic World Order. I also found some other websites demonizing the meat. Demonizing real fish and... wait for it... corn starch.

Stalgia, just jump in!

Pmag, I'm glad to see you had such a good weekend :flowerforyou:

Beeps, I'm gonna have to go back and find this ponytail chick story :huh:

Sam, sounds like an awesome way to get back to the gym! I'm looking forward to starting a new stage on Thursday. Stage 6 or 7? Still need to decide.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Sam, I have one cupcake boutique near my house that is worth 500 calories. It's a once-a-year thing. I really prefer to bake in my own kitchen. Last night: Impossible Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes with a dollop of Vanilla Cream Cheese Icing.

Beeps, that is some day at the gym! :noway: I agree that we should all be saying "supersets." Circuits are for curves.

Ali, try not to compare yourself to your sister. She's probably jealous of you if she can't live in her own home. I doubt she'd care to be compared to a 12 year old boy. If side comments are a problem, confront them fair and square. Include: ... comments hurt my feelings. I love my sister very much and she's my best friend. I have had to call her out on comments and other things. I'm also careful not to talk about my fitness/nutrition goals (I'm the fit one) unless she asks (she doesn't).

Last week, I caught myself in a fit of comparing myself to others. No good!
  • 1LadyKate
    1LadyKate Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Beeps, I would find the Wellness Director or the supervisor for the gym area and discuss what happened. That is horrible. I do my circuits/supersets at the Y as well and that seems crazy.

I am almost finished stage 1 and I have looked over stage 2. it made me want to quit. It looks overly complicated. I can't do lunges as they hurt my knees (which I injuried a few weeks ago). Feeling frustrated.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    Kate don't quit. You are tough and strong.
    Sub out lunges. If I had my book I would give you a good substitute, but my brain is asleep. Beeps or barbell can give you a list.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    So I am feeling lots of glute hamstring soreness with hip thrusts . It is my new favorite exercise!
    Anyone know why these are harder than a weighted glute bridge?
    I need to get back to 3-4x weekly lifting.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    Runza- yummy cupcakes!

Sam glad you are feeling strong.
  • MusclenMascara
    MusclenMascara Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, newbie here and just started NROLFW so thought i'd come over and join :) Already loving it!

I'm currently doing the programme at home as i work full time and am a single parent so my time is limited to get to a gym. Just wondered if anyone else here was doing it at home? I currently only have adjustable dumbells but looking to invest in a barbell as soon as i have the money.

Nice to meet you all :)
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Welcome Rosebud! Sorry I can't help you, but many here can, I'm a gym rat lol.

Holy smokes am I sore, but I knew that was going to happen. After nearly a month off, it's bound to happen. It's the can't walk up stairs or sit on the toilet kind of DOMS. Here's to having a dreary day of rest.
  • Ali_momof2
    Ali_momof2 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday everyone. I did the workout in Stage 2 last night. I was worried over nothing. The FQPP scared the heck out of me but I nailed it., empty BB but I that still 45lb & I nailed it :happy: I also had no problem holding the plank for 60 sec, I wasn't sure if I could do that either. The only exercise that I had trouble with was the home version of the Cable horizontal wood chop, I just couldn't understand what it wanted me to do, I finally gave in & had my BF explain it to me. WOW was that a Blonde moment, I felt completely silly. Overall the workout was good & went faster than I thought. I'm a littlr sore but not much. Now I'm looking forward to trying the B workout. :glasses:
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Beeps - that sounds outrageous, I would be fuming, too. I hope you get a full apology from them.

RoseBud - welcome! I do the gym thing as well, but if I get stuck at home I can do some of our free weights. We have adjustable dumbbells and a wimpy barbell - I dno how much it weighs, it's not even metal :noway: but it works in a pinch.

I've got my AMRAP for Stage 1 tomorrow and Friday, then I have to travel to D.C. for a work trip next week, but it'll be perfect timing for my week off in between stages! You ladies are all freaking awesome, keep up the good work :drinker:
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Welcome Rosebud! And anyone else newish that I've missed; I don't always get in here daily.

I did stage 7-4 yesterday and it felt really challenging at the time, and I increased my reps and weights, but today I don't feel sore at all...???

I was supposed to go do cardio tonight but the boys kept me up last night, and its been a rainy long day, so I sent hubby there with the kids and I stayed home with more coffee :)

Stage 7-5 tomorrow.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, newbie here and just started NROLFW so thought i'd come over and join :) Already loving it!

I'm currently doing the programme at home as i work full time and am a single parent so my time is limited to get to a gym. Just wondered if anyone else here was doing it at home? I currently only have adjustable dumbells but looking to invest in a barbell as soon as i have the money.

Nice to meet you all :)

Welcome Rosebud :smile: I work out at home in my garage. I started with dumbbells and bodyweight substitutions and slowly went from there. I bought a bar with weights in January and used two dining room chairs as my squat rack LOL

I now have a proper squat rack with cable and a bench and I can't describe how wonderful that is :happy: Got it 2nd hand off eBay for a great price.

But it's definitely doable with minimal equipment, you just have to get creative :smile:

Sam, lots of nice rest today. Good excuse to avoid any stairs lol

It's a Public Holiday here for our annual show (Royal Queensland Show, google The Ekka lol). I got up late at 7am and did my workout then while the kids were watching cartoons. I think it's going to be a lovely, lazy day. Apart from the load of washing and folding I have to do :wink:

I am struggling with a cold though. Unfortunately this one consists of headaches and runny noses, the two banes of my existence as I get sinus infections at the drop of a hat - that's what knocked me off my feet last time. I am desperate to stop it in it's tracks, so am trying to get plenty of sleep and not go out in the cold wind so much. And I've restocked the antihistamine. I am very determined lol
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, just a quick check in to say that I am still here. Exactly one month today till the thesis is due in and I am moving house tomorrow so its been pretty stressful here. I'm still getting my workouts in but i rarely have time to do a full one. Only one B workout left in stage 5 but I haven't always done the core work or the interval/BWM so I'm sure that will hurt my overall progress. ah well, at the minute exercise is taking a back seat as my primary goal. i'll be back at it properly next month.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I'm here - busy also. Lifted today - good session. Tomorrow is my eldest's bday, he will be 11. Today he got contacts and is without glasses for the first time in years. He is so beautiful :-)

We are having his party at laser skirmish tomorrow so my workout will be running around shooting a bunch of 11 yr olds haha.

Lift on ladies..... hopefully have more time to chat soon xx
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    Pudding soreness doesn't mean much
    I feel less sore when I have been working out every other day- so I'm trying to get back to three lifting workouts a week you are working hard and progressing even if you are not sore as long as the weights are increasing.
    Funny how we question ourselves when we feel good...

DNA you are rocking it hope your cold gets better soon

Jo have a good time sounds like fun