Exercise and Weight Loss Challenges

Replies

• gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,689 Member
    Hope you guys are having a good week! I woke up to a surprise (to me) snow storm this morning but it's supposed to be in the 60's or warmer the rest of the week. I always feel better on sunny days. Hungry today but did not use dinner with a friend as an excuse to go above my calories. Fresh popcorn at work tonight but only had a bite. So far so good this week.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    well done! Snowing here all day and yesterday too. Still below freezing but friends are coming to their cottage this weekend and are coming for dinner. A break in our routine. Hurray!!!!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,356 Member
    Yeah, we got snow last night on top of some ice we had. Was only 7 degrees when I left for work this a.m., but the snow had stopped. Side roads not great, but expressway was fine!

Nice both you (Marney and Gayle) having dinner with friends.

I left work a little early yesterday to go over and take care of grandkids. My son is away on business this week and my DIL's dad was taken to hospital with heart issues. So the granddaughters and I had breakfast for dinner, watched a video, and then bedtime last night. Glad I had walked at lunchtime because I didn't make it to gym or Tai Chi.
  • gaylebodine
    Good that you could help your DIL out and spend time with the granddaughters. Breakfast for dinner is my favorite and think I will have pancakes with peaches and blueberries for dinner tonight. Or not. Fingers crossed for under 181 for our weigh-in tomorrow.
  • merrygrannie
    merrygrannie Posts: 220 Member
    My sister and I went out for lunch and went to Cheddars.It was a last minute decision,which is never a good idea.Needless to say my lunch,which was a grilled chicken pecan salad with a honey butter crossiant,was close to 900 calories.Wow,was I surprised.Not in a good way.I wasn't going to exercise tonight but thought I'd better.5 miles later and I was no longer over my calories.Note to myself,don't do that again.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Mary, I know what you mean. Salads can be a killer. My favorite salad at O'Charley's which I used to eat at least once a week, was about 1200 calories and that didn't include the rolls, butter, or wine! That is why I always wonder why diet advice columns always recommend the salads or appetizers. Most appetizers have a huge number of calories. I can have a steak dinner for less! Was nice you were able to save the day! (*)

1/2/15: 155.5 lbs.
    1/9/15: 159.5 lbs.
    1/16/15: 154.5 lbs.
    1/23/15: 154
    1/30/15: 153.5
    2/6/15: 151.5

Two pound loss this week, but I do have a granddaughter's birthday party on Sunday, so it may not be a good day! I'll try to be careful. Also, when I have a good loss, I tend to follow with a big gain! We'll see next week!
  • dasher602014
    I wish the restaurant industry would listen! Even if there was only one item per menu which had less calories and even reasonable salt, low salt would be terrific but I would settle for reasonable.

Great work Mary for working it off. Hard work too! I have a problem. Don't know when or what I did but I have a very sore arch on one foot. Ok unless prolonged walking or standing, have to have the right shoes. The bicycle pedal catches the wrong spot too! Arrrggghhh. A few days of resting it are in order.

Two pounds Charlie!!!!! Wonderful!!!! And birthday parties are important too.
  • dasher602014
    Jan 2 165.5
    Jan 8 164,5
    Jan 16 163.5
    Jan 23 163.5
    Jan 30 163
    Feb 6 162.5

By little, little bit I follow.

However, yesterday was not my best day with more carbs and less exercise than usual. And it is off that 165/164/165 phase.

Best news of all, my blood pressure is steadily in the 120s over high 70's. All that potassium and sodium counting has paid off!!!!
  • merrygrannie

Jan2nd-165.5
    Jan9th-163.5
    Jan16th-161.5
    Jan 23rd-160.5
    Jan30th-161.0
    Feb 6th -161.0
  • merrygrannie
    Charlie and Marney,congratulations on the weight loss!!!
  • nancystandlee
    nancystandlee Posts: 8 Member
    1/23/15: 199
    1/30/15: 197.4
    2/6/15: 196.6
    Yesterday was a sad day as I went to a memorial service for my next door neighbor, but good that on spur of moment I took two of my children & one friend out to great TX barbecue after & that means beef brisket, beans, potato salad & slaw & a soft serve ice cream. It was cold overcast & this was pure comfort food day but a joyous celebration of life & a special occasion for my family. I'll take this small weight loss this week & be thankful it wasn't a gain. Lol (without reporting in on Friday it could have been worse, thankful for friends who help watch!)
  • dasher602014
    edited February 2015
    Thanks for the kudos Mary. It is tough when it is so slow, as you and I both know. I suspect your weight is down this week, but with yesterday's lunch out, the salt has gotten to your body. I know with me, a salty meal can cause a 2 lb gain or more. Staying the same after such a meal, is a win.

Nancy, so sorry about your loss. Memorials are so difficult with both the comfort of celebrating a life well lived, and the hole that the loss of such a person makes in our own lives. Emotional, certainly, especially when we get to enjoy our families together. Well done on the weight loss this week.

A number of years ago, an acquaintance remarked that I looked great because I had lost so much weight! And I had lost a bunch. Would have been nice to hear, except that it was my first big social event after losing my then husband! I remember thinking she was crazy, and then realizing that she was coming from her mindset and has not imagined mine. Not crazy, just not thinking. There is a time and a place for weight watching; you have the wisdom for balance.
  • gaylebodine
    1/02/15: 187.3
    1/09/15: 186.1
    1/16/15: 184.8
    1/23/15: 183.3
    1/30/15: 182.0
    2/06/15: 181.0
  • gaylebodine
    Wow, everyone checked in first thing Friday! AND we lost a collective 4.3 pounds this week. Fantastic! Charlie is the "biggest loser" with 2 pounds. And Mary, not gaining is a win!

I agree that the point is to live our lives well, sharing celebrations, holidays and memorials with friends and family, those times when "dieting" is not the most important thing. It is a delicate balance: not using special events (every day can suddenly become a special event, and in reality it is) as an excuse to practice excessive indulgence. But life can does have special events and we should take pleasure in them.
  • gaylebodine
    I was in Walgreens yesterday looking in the Valentine candy isle. I was looking for a box of candy to buy for my son. So all do you guys handle the isles of seasonal candy in every store? I bought myself a bag of Weight Watcher's Pecan Crowns and had one (50 calories) when I got home. Whoops, forgot to add that to my food diary yesterday.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Gayle, candy isn't an issue for me. I once in a while like a piece of chocolate, but I'd be more likely to buy SweetTarts!

That said, have you tried the Skinny Cow Heavenly Crisps? They come in a box. 110 calories but very satisfying. They have other styles, but I like the heavenly crisps (like KitKats). Some stores even now have them individually at the checkout candy.

Best things is just stay away from the candy aisle. Buy your son something else for a hobby or a gift card for Itunes or Amazon. Why tempt yourself?
  • grandmothercharlie
    edited February 2015
    Marney: Is it plantar faciitis? It is awful and just about everyone gets it. Stretching the achilles is essential. After suffering for over a year, I now never miss a day doing achilles stretches. However, that really bad pain is usually in the heel and usually worse in the morning, that said...

I have a Morton's Neuroma which is like a pinched nerve in my foot. Many doctors want to give you cortizone shots -- not a big fan of shots, so I never did that. My foot surgeon 10 years ago suggested that although I was wearing Wide shoes, I needed Double Wide shoes. I can only order them (I like a brand called Propet and I get them at Shoebuy.com), but I have no problem with the Morton's Neuroma as long as the shoe fits correctly and is really wide enough. (I love my foot surgeon!) Morton's Neuroma tend to hurt as you describe in the arch or between the balls of my foot and actually hurts the most when standing. (My surgeon suggested the same thing to a friend who had bunions and every dr. wanted to operate, instead she followed his advice and hasn't had a problem since).

You might want to see a really good foot doctor as there is nothing worse than foot pain.

Whatever, we all should be stretching our achilles everyday! As my Dr. says: "Homer had it right. If you want to bring someone down, go for the achilles!"
  • dasher602014
    Hi all,

I am with Charlie about candy. I just don't miss it however .... sweet tarts???!!! Yummm. For Valentine's Day, will probably buy a couple of truffles for each of us from our local Chocolatier. Her diabetic chocolate is so good, we like it better than the other chocolate. Still has calories but better for my diabetic co-hort. And with just two truffles each, limited supply.

I have had plantar faciitis for years. Scottish dancing, Irish dancing and English clog dancing all at the same time, did in my feet. I enjoyed those years though. I thought maybe a flare up but really, really painful which has finally settled in one spot with a red, raise lump. (I know TMI) If it wasn't winter here, I would think something got into a shoe and bite me. Maybe they did! I will wait and see what happens. But it is hampering exercise. Even the clutch in the car is too painful!

I will have to get on my exercise leaders cap and think about all the exercises I used to do with my seated group.
  • dasher602014
    And thinking about exercise groups, every time it was too hot for safe aerobics with my seniors, I would do a stretch session. EVERY SINGLE TIME I did that, I heard from at least one person privately about how much better they felt after that class. Even my regulars said they felt so much better after that class.

So, yes, stretch.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Oh, I wish you all had the opportunity to use the stretch trainer we have at the gym! It is a standard part of my workout. I love it. Here is the link: precor.com/en-us/stretchtrainer Amazing how few people use it. I can't believe how much better I feel after stretching! Of course, you don't need a stretch trainer.

Hope your foot does better. Like the stretch trainer, I never hit the gym stairs without doing the "lower your heel" exercises on the stairs on the way up.