Exercise and Weight Loss Challenges

Replies

• grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,356 Member
    I had already written this and must not have hit "post." It was bad enough having to write it once, as you will see:

1/2/15: 155.5 lbs.
    1/9/15: 159.5 lbs.
    1/16/15: 154.5 lbs.
    1/23/15: 154
    1/30/15: 153.5
    2/6/15: 151.5
    2/13/15: 151.5
    2/20/15: 148.5
    2/27/15: 153

Okay, I was at 147 this week for my Tuesday's group weigh-in. That's 6 poinds! But, two things happened:

1. My cardiologist was thrilled with my results for all my tests. But, my BP has been running low, so rather than changing meds, he took me off of liquid restrictions so I can raise my BP with more water. So, I have been drinking between a pint and a quart more a day. My cells are probably soaking up the extra nurishment.
    2. I have had a cold and I didn't exercise at all one day (pretty much stayed in bed). Not going to exercise today either as I have developed a cough and exertion and getting overheated makes me cough.

So, what looks like a 4.5 pound gain, to me (and my ticker) is a 6 pound gain. I just have to remember what I told Mary: The overall trend is downward! That is what is important.

Please don't figure a total group loss, with all your good work, I really screwed that up!
  • nancystandlee
    nancystandlee Posts: 8 Member
    1/23/15: 199
    1/30/15: 197.4
    2/6/15: 196.6
    2/13/15: 195.6
    2/20/15: 194.6
    2/27/15: 196.4:'(
    So many things are wrong In this picture. To Sam's for a hotdog & bad grocery choices and whataburger for a free burger then a breakfast with my girlfriends at I hop yesterday and Nutella and chips at Sam's and popcorn. I need to get it in gear. Today back to my oatmeal and an apple for breakfast. Pouring through mounds of paperwork and sorting and trying to find the top of my kitchen table. And I'm getting ready to start a large 20 x 20 paper collage so that will be more fun then sorting paperwork.
    Anyone have a delicious salad dressing recipe?
    Do I get any weather sympathy? it is 26° with snow showers here in Texas this morning at about 10:30?
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,356 Member
    @ nancystandlee: You and I can cry together! Hang in there. We only lost one battle, we are still winning the war!

However, you don't get much sympathy from me for the weather. It is mid-afternoon, 16 degrees with a windchill of 8! Tonight down sub-zero again! It is supposed to finally get above freezing some next week! Then we will have a muddy mess when the snow melts.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Jan 2 165.5
    Jan 8 164,5
    Jan 16 163.5
    Jan 23 163.5
    Jan 30 163
    Feb 6 162.5
    Feb 163.5
    Feb 20 163.5
    Feb 27 163
  • dasher602014
    Hi guys,

Been very quiet lately. The weather is getting to me and I promised myself not to whine! Every night, the announcer says "Tomorrow will be the coldest day of the winter and the record we have passed was set on blah, blah, 1943". I now know that 1943, 1948, 1978 and 2015 were the coldest winters EVER! But, this year is the most unrelieved cold ever recorded. (Promise to stop whining now)

Hurrah for the successes! Mary, a new decade!!!! Gayle, you are a star. Charlie, water weight gain is actually good news, healthwise, celebrate. Nancy, yeah, you and me, and yes, you have my sympathy for both the gain and the weather.

I was stir crazy in the house yesterday so went out to visit my sister-in-law, 45 minutes away. She was stir crazy too so lunch was out and the only open restaurant had corned beef sandwiches or corned beef with cheese sandwiches. So high salt just before weigh in. Sigh.

Hey, I am still 2.5 lbs down on the challenge. Geeeish. I have to get it in gear. (Note to self, Mary did it, follow Mary's example.)

Well done, folks!
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,689 Member
    Hi Guys, we keep on keeping on. Don't give up. I've been struggling, yesterday and today but am determined to have a better week next week. Stressing, money, X husband and feeling so under the snowy weather! Not sick, just sick of the cold and snow! A little sunnier today at least. Sorry to be complaining. Life happens.
  • maryschwartzroby
    maryschwartzroby Posts: 161 Member
    Isn't it amazing how we react to a weight gain? I feel so quilty and have so many "reasons" why it happened.A weight loss is knowing everything I"did right"That's what we need to focus on ,the do right.
    I looked at my diary and noticed I had more food listed than I needed.Even after exercising i was using to many calories.My snack list was longer than my meals.I really had to regroup.My loss last week was the result of that.I quit eating snacks and just ate 3 meals a day.I write everything down on paper before eating it to keep better track of my food intake during the day.I also don't eat anything after 6 o'clock.
    I'm going out for lunch today but it's a buffet with a salad bar.I'm determined to control my food and not let food control me.I want to feel good about myself at the end of the day.
    I hope you ladies have a stress free day and a great week.Stay strong.
  • gaylebodine
    Mary, what an amazing shift in strategy and attitude!

I actually had a few days off the rails and don't really feel (emotionally) bad at all. Just sorry that it will take the rest of the week to get back to last Friday's weigh in weight, I hope. 178.4 on Friday. 181.7 today. Think it started on Thursday night then especially bad yesterday when I ate all the chips and chocolate chip dessert bread I could get my hands on. Needless to say I feel sick today :\ . My body doesn't really like a lot of sugar, flour, salt, bad fat. My tongue usually votes differently but I can't let it run the show. Focus on lean protein, vegis, a little low fat dairy (yogurt). Already baked the chicken breasts and fish so just need to cook vegis each meal.

I do best with 300 or less calories each meal with 300 or less calories for snacks. Don't like to go to bed hungry because it affects my sleep.
  • gaylebodine
    Re-reading my previous post I realize I wasn't clear. I did feel bad emotionally (angry and stressed) and that is what triggered my wonten eating. What I was trying to say is I don't feel guilty, or like a bad person. I knew I could not focus on control and that I was going to return to the straight and narrow soon (I planned today, Sunday).
  • gaylebodine
    Nancy, plenty weather sympathy! Man I hate to be cold and grey skies seem to easily become my own person grey cloud over my own personal head. Was eating cheese buns on last Thursday because I was feeling so sorry for myself for having to driving around on awful roads in blizzards two days in a row. My house seemed so drafty and cold and I just couldn't get warm. Man, soon found out that feeling sorry for myself can be used as a way to justify unnecessary excesses. OK, as long as one is willing to later buckle down and pay the price. Hope it doesn't take too long for me to recover.
  • dasher602014
    edited March 2015
    Looking forward to our trip south and to enjoy central heat again! It has been a hard winter but I was in the hot tub yesterday so my spirit is revived. Still a long way below freezing out there but with bright sun, white drifts of snow and the chickadees making a cheerful sound, it was OK.

Buckle down it is this week!
  • gaylebodine
    Buckling down!
  • maryschwartzroby
    We're expecting freezing rain and MORE SNOW tomorrow.I have 2 Dr. appointments that will probably have to be cancelled if the weather turns ugly.I fell sorry for those who don't have the shelter,especially this time of year.I count my blessings everyday.
    I hope everyone is having a good day.Keep warm and stay safe.
  • gaylebodine
    Mary, so good to be grateful for what we have! Staying warm, shelter. I washed all the big chunks of ice out of my wheel wells yesterday but overcast today and snow predicted. We had an easy winter in November, December, January, but February and now March making up for it I think. Had a record setting amount of snow in February! At least in Denver it doesn't last for long--snow all gone usually within a day or two of falling. And now it will all be spring snow. Still cold and miserable of course. Marney, great that you will have time with central heat. Nice to be a frontier woman but great to come back to the easy life every once in a while. I get sick of noise and pollution and sheer ugliness of the city and suburbs sometimes and have to make my escape the opposite direction (to the country/mountains) on occasion. Not often enough however!
  • gaylebodine
    Still up a pound or so from last Friday's weigh in but working on it!
  • dasher602014
    Good for you Gayle. I am sure that it will come off shortly. And, Mary, I hope you got to your drs appts with no trouble. We are counting down the days to seeing less snow.

I have been doing well on the bicycle and not bad on the food so I hope to have good results this week. Body doesn't always co-operate but even so, I am glad of the habits I have developed. If plain popcorn is my choice for comfort food and I only indulge now and again, I have certainly changed habits!

Mary, you are right. Count blessings. We were discussing how much winter affects us here, our exercise, our moods etc. Then we watched the news and there was snow yesterday and the commute in the city was terrible. We both said together that we were glad we did not have to commute anymore, that is truly a blessing. May not have central heating, but the house is reasonably warm (with a big sweater on) and I have a house with heat and many choices of food. Not like some. So blest.
  • maryschwartzroby
    20 inches of snow here and my heat went out.So did my tv signal .Got the fire going and someone graded our driveway for us.Life is good.
    Marney ,we have an outside wood furnace.I love that type of heat.Only downside is my husband having to cut wood.We have propane heat as backup but this morning it didn't want to work.My husband didn't think he set the switch right.
    We change our time this weekend.Spring forward an hour.Looking forward to having more daylight.
    I hope everyone is having a good week.I did have a non scale victory.I could get into my husband coveralls with no problems.The downside to that is I have no excuse to not bundle up and get outside more.I did some shoveling this morning.Now I need to buy my own pair.
  • maryschwartzroby

Jan2nd-165.5
    Jan9th-163.5
    Jan16th-161.5
    Jan 23rd-160.5
    Jan30th-161.0
    Feb 6th -161.0
    Feb13th-162.0
    Feb 20th-162.0
    Feb 27th-159.5
    March 6th-159.0
  • gaylebodine
    1/02/15: 187.3
    1/09/15: 186.1
    1/16/15: 184.8
    1/23/15: 183.3
    1/30/15: 182.0
    2/06/15: 181.0
    2/13/15: 180.1
    2/20/15: 179.1
    2/27/15: 178.4
    3/06/15: 178.8

Well, I almost made my goal for this week: to get back to last Friday's number after a tough week. My goal for next Friday: get down to my last recorded low. Great job Mary!
  • maryschwartzroby
    1/02/15: 187.3
    1/09/15: 186.1
    1/16/15: 184.8
    1/23/15: 183.3
    1/30/15: 182.0
    2/06/15: 181.0
    2/13/15: 180.1
    2/20/15: 179.1
    2/27/15: 178.4
    3/06/15: 178.8

Well, I almost made my goal for this week: to get back to last Friday's number after a tough week. My goal for next Friday: get down to my last recorded low. Great job Mary!

Your almost there Gayle.We've all had tough weeks but we never give up.New week,new goal.Thank you for the great support you give this group.