Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Wow Dawn!!!

Dna - I have one 'fat pic' in my profile pics but not sure how to post still (I know.... epically useless!)
    No recent pics either.... prob have some fat to lose before I'd look any different tbh.

Working lots but have done a workout every day this week. Nothing amazing, just working on form and 'showing up'. Motivation is low but that's due to other life stressors. It's ok. Progress is not stalled, I'm just not super excited.

Is anyone else thinking of buying the new book from NROL? Comes out soon. Called STRONG I think. Wondering if it will be much good for someone who has been lifting for a few years..... any thoughts?
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,940 Member
    Options
    Amazing story, Dawn! Thanks for posting it....and your photos!

They ARE inspiring! I hope you are very proud of yourself.

:)

More photos are sorely needed....i like your "theme" idea, dna.

jo_m - i didn't know NROL is coming out with something "new"....i might get it. I only want workouts that i can "print out"....and not a "DIY", but more of a "do this today. Do that tomorrow". NROL4W needed an "upgrade"....i hope STRONG is that!!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. :blush:

Jo - What helped on mine so they weren't gigantic was I used tinypic.com. When you add the image to that site, you can pick a size. I used the website/email one for that but the forum one is also decent, bigger but still not take up the whole page big like just posting direct on the site (I don't use the phone app for posting anything). However, to add my dress picture to my profile, I have to resize it on my computer first because my cell phone has the image files too big for many sites like this one.

Today was upper power and before work gym time. I still have freight to do at work. Did okay and saw a couple things I need to post in another thread. For now, the work out:

9 - Upper Power

bench press 3x4 @ 95 - challenging but okay
    db incline bench 3x9 @ 30 - felt heavy but managed
    bent row 4x4 @ 95 - still heavy and couldn't get the fifth reps to be decent
    lat pull 3x8 @ 70 - not bad
    OHP 3x5 @ 70 - tad better than last time
    bar curl 4x10 @ 30 - meh, probably can try 40 next time or maybe the ez curl bar
    skullcrusher 3x10 @ ez curl bar - tad better, maybe will add the 2.5 plates next time

Now to figure out lunch and food for work.
  • DawnEmbers
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Cardio = 5.5 mile jog in the rain. I was soaked by the half way point but it still went pretty well. One month until my 10k.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Good on you Dawn, hate the rain but sometimes it can be a blessing during an otherwise sweaty run!

Rest day for me today - hurrah! I have lifted x 3 and combat x 2 already this week. This rarely happens before the weekend and my body is tired. I was concerned Thurs combat would affect my upper body lifts yesterday as was quite stiff but ALL my lifts went up either reps or weight. Very exciting. And on Thursday, one of my new combat instructors (who is awesome) said she'd seen me workout in the gym and called me a 'beast'. One of the few occasions that can be taken as a compliment ;) hahahaha - feeling good. My new gym has more women that workout than my old one, it's good to see but sometimes intimidating. Always good to have some fresh motivation though. One of the PT's just won 1st place in a national figure comp last weekend too - hoping to line her up for a PT session at some point!!

Have a great weekend ladies
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    I'm a fan of rain in general. Not so much on soggy socks, but rain itself is nice.

I slept in this morning instead of jogging, so after lifting I ended up jogging a little on the treadmill. It meant I didn't get home until even later but was good to get some done. Plus, I hadn't used the treadmill since before I started c25k and it might be helpful to use some during winter. It wasn't too bad doing it after workout even with today's lower body focus.

10 - Lower Power

squats 3x5 @ 175 - kept same weight and still barely can get up all reps. Not sure if should de-load a little or try the increase and see how it is to full on fail.
    deadlift 3x3 @ 190 - heavy but managed the three sets. Might keep to the 3 rep focus and work up slowly.
    leg press 3x8 @ 220 - not bad
    leg curl 3x8 @ 70 - tad heavy there
    standing calf 3x8 @ 45 - eh, the thing needs to go down a little lower but can't (aka, i'm short, lol)

5 minute warm up walk, 25 minute jog and 5 minute cool down walk on treadmill. My jog is just 4.7 speed wise so kept it slow and got to watch a little food network.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Leg day for me today.... after a crazy hectic shift at work.... motivation was low but once I started, all good. Had pretty much 2 days off this weekend, just a walk yesterday. Seemed to have helped as all reps achieved and increased on 3 out of 4 exercises.

Tired now though!
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Saying hi :smile:

My brain is kicking my butt this week, so I'm laying a little low.
    I managed to get a partial workout in yesterday before I needed to stop. And then spent the rest of the day not far from bed. Apparently there is some sort of bug going around, all I know is I felt pretty bad.

On top of that, I'm slipping into sadness. Trying real hard to stay on top of it, but I'm struggling.
    I don't like to talk about it much, but that's why I'm not as cheery as normal in case you start wondering. There are days when I can get through okay and days where it feels like everything is falling apart. The kids not being here makes it hard to stay afloat because there's no distraction from it.

So, I'm going to hopefully go clean my house from top to bottom and get some movement in, even though I don't feel like it. I'm going to try and work and I'm going to try and smile.

And tomorrow I will try to lift again.

I have a coffee date scheduled with a friend for Thursday, so it's just a matter of getting through until then. And then the kids come home on Friday.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    It's odd how many of us seem to be at a low point lately. Me included.

Stay strong everyone... physically and mentally. Look after yourselves. Workouts are hard when there is a lack of enthusiasm/ motivation. I've found that by sticking to my workout plans however, that it can give me some feeling of control and strength over my life. Lately my endorphin rush has been missing, not sure why. Wish it would come back though, it motivates my day!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Wow, it IS ODD how the blues are hitting too many of us.

I am just so glad my eye is getting better. And i should be cleared for lifting "soon", that I think my mood will improve very shortly!

I am pretty tired of beating myself up for all the things i am "not"....i am trying really hard to remind myself of all the good stuff about me.

Cheer up if you can! And, if not....just hug yourself tight. You are a worthy and beautiful human being!

BOOM!
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I'm back. I lifted today - not awesome, but good enough, and that's the main thing :smile:

Had a chat to the husband last night and I feel a little better. I also just opened Word and wrote and wrote and wrote.... sometimes a bit of verbal diarrhea is what's needed, and a listening ear :wink:

My brain is still being stupid, but less so. I'm working my way slowly through my to do list for the day and I don't feel like shoving chocolate down my throat - which is probably a good thing as all I have left is half a block of Lindt dark 80% cooking chocolate (which is lactose free, and I love, but I also need to bake with it occasionally lol).

I'm going to go read through some of the lovely notes my customers write me and remember the nice conversations I have with the post office peeps at least three times a week (I should probably live there lol) and remind myself I've worked hard to get to where I am and I do deserve it. My husband, the kids and I deserve the lifestyle we've worked long hours and many years for and are still working towards (end goal is moving away from the city with a passive income of some sort so we can focus on stuff we really love and let the kids have a little more freedom). It's not the same as everyone else, and that's okay. If someone wants to try and tear us down for that, then that says a lot more about them then us. We're a family and we matter to each other and that's all that's important.

And that was a little more wordy than I was expecting. I'm obviously still processing stuff :wink:

Go forth and lift stuff (whether heavy or 'light'), move those awesome bodies and be glorious.

Live your life the best way you can, in the way that is all about you and the ones you hold most dear. And don't let anyone try to take that away from you :heart:
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    dna - the goal sounds nice to me but I grew up in small town wyoming, so don't know the "city" life well. Glad you are working through things and hopefully it's up from here.

I had today off from work since I switched shifts and went in yesterday instead. It was nice but also quite lazy. Instead of getting up to jog, I stayed in bed until noon. All of in the apartment did. Managed to get some groceries bought in the afternoon so once I get stuff cooked I have meat and veggies again. Was getting a little low. Worked on some online stuff, then went to the gym.

11 - Upper Hyper

incline bench 4x10 @ 65 - decent though felt it by the end
    bench db fly 3x8 @ 15 - not bad and slight increase in weight
    seated row 4x10 @ 60 - okay there
    one db row 4x10 @ 22.5 - okay though left struggles a tiny bit at the end
    db lat raise 4x10 @ 10 - okay, maybe try 12.5 next time
    seated db curl 4x10 @ 15 - meh, curls
    cable tri extension 4x10 @ 50 - decent

Then I did walk on treadmill, jogged 25 minutes, had to reset cause treadmill timer thing only allowed 30 minutes overall, jogged another 15 and walked a small cool down.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Thursday morning lifting. Not too bad though the squat rack and power cage were both in use when I got there. I did warm up over in the deadlift spot while waiting for one to open up but the guy was nice and let me know when he was finished. I added some good mornings since I had the time, first in warm up then since I'd done a set figured I'd do a couple more after squats as the rack had become open after my first set on that. I did forget my notebook so had to use google sheets on my phone to keep track. Not bad overall and soon I can get ready for work.

12 - Lower Hyper

good morning and front squat warm up with 55
    front squats 3x10 @ 75 - not bad, just slight ache in wrists
    good morning 2x10 @ 65 - I like these and might do them in warmups at times
    barbell lunges 3x10 @ 55 - same weight from before, eh lunges
    leg extension 4x10 @ 70 - okay here though tad heavy by end
    leg curl 4x10 @ 60 - same, not bad
    seated calf 4x10 @ 70 plus two extra weights - eh, calves

That is it. Next up is freight.

• Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    HI girls! Sorry I've been offline for a bit. I was down for a week with insane, take your breath away, pain for a week. :( So I haven't lifted in nearly 2 weeks. I'm finally feeling so much better. Lifted today :)

Also in there we've had crazy volleyball drama, mom house insanity and more work this weekend, and schooling the kids in there too. Sigh, too busy and stressful. So, I've been a tad down too. Finally turning a corner now, I hope! The dd volleyball stress last week was really hard on all of us.

I hope the rest of you are doing well. Those endorphins are helpful when we workout. Keep fighting girls!

And I can't see dawn's pic! :( I'm sure you look amazing!! Maybe if I log in on my laptop instead of the app on the iPad? Keep up the good work ladies! Hope to be online more soon.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Hope your dreams all come true, dna!

Welcome back to lifting, julie....I have another eye dr appt tomorrow and I hope they give me the all clear to start lifting again.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I got to do a bodyweight workout today!

so, still not "weightlifting", but I did use some (small) DB's for my upper body and I used one small BB for my weighted hip thrusts.

Felt GREAT to be back in the gym.

I still have 2015 goals to meet!! Most are around "fat loss", but some are around things I can do when I lift heavy.

I hope I haven't lost too, too much ground.

also, I have to STOP wearing tights everyday....because that "pull-up" waistband is seriously not helping me meet fat loss goals! I pull on jeans AND they are TIGHT. So, I KNOW I have bodyfat to lose....I have been in pull-up pants for too long and got too lazy about the midsection.

Boo for that.

But, BOOM for the workout!
  • jo_marnes
    edited October 2015
    Options
    lc2mvv6785e2.jpg
    Ok, I dunno if this pic will work but here goes.... I am posting this because it makes me feel better about last years' shorts no longer fitting my much bigger butt :/ This is me yesterday
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    I don't have too many 'fat pics' of me on my computer but here is one with my family about 9 years ago.... had another baby since hay8y7hnrwtt.jpg
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Jeepers I'm on a roll..... here is one last pic - me being 'skinny fat' about 4 years ago (with the youngest child) 9fuzd95d4qa8.jpg
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Jo, You look awesome! What an inspiration.