Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Tired this morning but made myself get up for cardio. 6 miles roughly, as my playlist is 72 minutes for it. Just over 2 weeks until 10k. For fun, I dug up one of my posts from April when I was doing the c25k program and the idea of 20 minutes was daunting.
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    Today I did C25K week 4, day 4. Will do week 4 one more day then move on to week 5. The 5 minute jogs still feel long so we'll see how next week goes when I have to attempt the 20 minute jog.

Most of the posts around the time were I don't know about this 20 minute jog... Now, 6 months later my short run is over 20 minutes. Craziness. Still consider myself more of a lifter than a runner but I suppose I can be a little of both.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Dawn, it's funny isn't it? A year ago there is no way I thought I'd be able to do the stuff I'm doing now. My low rep weights are now the ones I use for high reps, and I jumped in the pool the other day and did an easy 1.6km before I got bored.

All that steady consistency over time really adds up.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Loving all the wins ladies - it really is amazing how far we have all come.

My win today - struggling through combat (hungover) only to have the instructor ask me if I taught classes, because she and another instructor had seen a pic of me doing a jump kick and concluded that I must teach also. Haha love it. No way do I have the memory or choreography to teach, I am a mere follower when it comes to combat. I just happen to put a lot of effort in!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    A bit of a mixed day. I jogged to a store near here this morning to check out their display (I work in a different location but same company) then jogged back home. Had work, just a cashier shift, then after we finally got out, I went to the gym to lift and jog.

16 - lower hyper

front squat 3x8 @ 80 - wrists were achy from it, probably won't increase for a little bit on these.
    bar lunge 3x10@ 60 - okay. Also did sets of good mornings in between each set.
    good morning 3x12 @ 60 - added these for fun.
    leg extension 3x8 @ 80 - eh.
    leg curl 3x12 @ 60 - fine.
    seated calf 3x12 @ 85 - i'm guessing the little weights are 5 each, would make sense since the main weights go in increments of 20.

25 minute jog on treadmill.
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I must check out if I have recorded anywhere what I was lifting this time last year because I don't feel like I've made much progress. I haven't exactly been consistent though so that's hardly surprising. I'm back at it now though. One more without in strength and power I.
    Also, today I joined a running club so that should help me get some cardio in and hopefully lose some weight.
    Jo that is an awesome compliment to get!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Tried out small gym nearby. It's more focused on weight lifting, though does have a little bit of cardio equipment. The price point is a little bit better than the other one that's local plus no "try not to be too loud on certain lifts, so it doesn't disturb others working out." However, it's not 24 hours so no 11 pm lifting if I sign up with this one. Small space but with a fair amount of lifting equipment packed in but they make it work. Lat pulldown was a challenge though as I'm not quite tall enough to reach the bar. I had to get on my knees on the seat in order to grasp it. There is also a list of "rules" on the wall that has usual stuff, courtesy, don't drop weights and put stuff away when done. On it was "no gym bags on the floor" (well I had mine cause I don't have a membership or locker so not like I could put it anywhere) and the number one rule was... no swearing. Yeah the bros there that day didn't follow that one (the whole two that were there lifting while I was). Guessing it's not quite an enforced poster, lol. Upper Power was tough as I am near my max on a number of the lifts. I think I need to de-load on most but I'll just do a couple now and meander around the same weights until November. After the vacation to go to stepsister's wedding and such, I'll drop down on all of the lifts and hopefully get the schedule going to 4 days a week lifting. For now, it is what it is.

17 Upper Power

bench press 1x3 @ 105 and 3x3 @ 100 - oof, I almost failed and these benches don't have a lower rack spot. I barely managed that third rep on 105 and it was the slowest push ever to get it back up. I don't know if the guys would have helped me if I just set it down on me, hard to say, so glad I managed but blech. Hoping to test max and get 115 before vacation but not sure right now.
    db bench press 2x10, 1x8, 1x7 @ 30 - it just gets worse, I need to de-load cause next jump is 35's and I've been on 30 for a while and getting worse instead of better on the reps. Will drop this one down for sure next time.
    bent row 3x3 @ 95 with fixed barbell - bleh, not liking the rows. Maybe need de-load again or try a different type. Something...
    lat pull 3x12 @ 70 - oddly felt way too easy on the one there.
    OHP 4x4 @ 75 - felt a little better this time though still a couple rough reps. Oddly not cursing at OHP so far.
    bar curl 3x10 @ 35 - they didn't have a 40 so just used what was available. meh curls
    skull crusher 3x8 @ bar plus 10s - the bar there felt lighter, 2.5's were too light and I grabbed 10s by accident but they worked fine.

Then 20 minute jog on treadmill since today is short distance day. Almost 1.5 weeks until 10k. I might lift tomorrow too since it's lower power. My lift and run schedule is going to be wonky as friday is last long run then just do some short runs next week getting ready for the big event. The month is going by quick.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,940 Member
    Options
    I like the "wins" being posted, too....so much better than crying the blues!

I lifted monday....almost at par to where i was before surgery. Good.

I did a "strength class" today....too much "cardio" and not enough "strength" for my taste, but it was fun to be in a group and to have blaring music.

Tomorrow, back to Venus-lifting.

BOOM!
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Beeps - yay! on back to Venus-lifting :smile:

TOM has finally reared it's head here... the cycles are getting longer :cry: stupid PCOS. And today is a bad day, painkillers aren't even taking the edge off.

But.

I managed to get a light lifting session in this morning before I was awake enough to argue with myself :wink: I feel better for it. Now if everything would just stop hurting, that'd be awesome. Can't do a heat pack cos it's too hot and my hot flushes are back (yes, now that TOM is here, the doctor appt is being made for next week/week after - pap smear, blood tests, the lot will all be done).

Frack it. I'm 36yo. I struggled with PCOS & primary and secondary infertility through my 20's and now I'm back to tracking cycles again because of possible peri-menapause. I think I'll decide to laugh about it, cos the only other option is to rock back and forth in a corner somewhere, and that's probably unacceptable :wink:

Only 4 squares of chocolate and 2 coffees today, so I'm hanging in there. Yeah, I had the bottom scraps from a packet of salty potato crisps too... but I had to replenish my sodium after the sweat session this morning (that's my story, and I'm sticking to it :tongue: )

Here's to a few more days and then feeling like 'normal' again... for a week or so lol

• Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Looks like my post didn't post! It's still here on my app!
    Sounds like you're all doing well!!

Dawn-you inspire me to keep running!! I'm on week 2 of c25k and not loving it!! Lol! I've done it twice before but didnt love it then either ;). But, I'm trying!! Kutgw!!! Hope the little gym works out.

Go Jo!!such an impactful compliment!! Hope the back is better.

Dna/ good for you!! I'm a terrible swimmer!! Great fitness accomplishment!! And sorry for the Tom trouble and pcos. That must be hard to manage. :(

Dou-even maintaining your strength isn't that bad, with a few breaks in there....life happens! Keep up the fight!

Beeps-glad you're back to it! WTG!

I'm doing well. Worked out Monday morning, missed today, just no time :(. Still hitting at least 3-4 days, while seeing a chiropractor 3x a week, which makes time a challenge. Trying to drop cals a bit and shed some fat. Not really looking to add a lot to weight to my lifts while I try to drop. I wouldn't mind, ;), but it probably won't happen on a bigger deficit. :)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I may not lose ten lbs by end of Fall Back challenge...maybe 6 or 7 (...and the inches that go along with that). But, scale loss was NOT my only intent! I also wanted to reduce my diet pop intake. And, I have. I have not had diet pop, at home, in four weeks! So, on average, I am having one diet pop per week - out at a restaurant (when I choose that option). My water intake is back to 10-12 glasses per day.

This challenge has been good for me in many ways. My discipline muscle is being exercised more often. My choices are being reflected in my workouts. On the scale.

It. Is. All. Good.

BOOM!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Beeps - You're doing great. Even if the numbers don't quite match that initial goal, you've done awesome and the choices thing is something we all face all of the time. Glad the challenge you gave yourself was helpful.

Today I went to the mall and walked around for hours. No luck in finding anything for the wedding as was hoping to find a coat or something for over my dress so then I can pick what color of shoes to get. I may need to just borrow a coat or such from my mom. All of the shrugs and coats are either not formal enough, not the right shape, too thing, or over-sized and either textured or patterns. I did, however, find shoes at goodwill for the rehearsal dinner, plus stuff for my costume for the 10k. Never thought I'd buy/fit in things from places like H&M, but found a weird black leotard type thing with wings attached to the arms in a medium that fits. That, leggings/tights, and a black/purple tutu plus how I do my makeup should work for the 10k and Halloween. After the shopping (plus protein bar and coffee) I went and lifted weights at my gym.

16 - Lower Power

squats 3x5 @ 165 - okay though last rep at the very end was rough, had to fight not to let my hips go up first.
    deadlift 4x3 @ 195 - better this time, calluses hurt a bit though, also did sumo for 5 reps at 145 for fun.
    leg press 220 3x8 - slightly less than last time, won't increase much till after 10k.
    standing calf 3x10 @ 60 - eh, it has odd jumps so it was 45 or 60, so did more this time
    leg curl 4x8 @ 70 - was occupied at first, so out of order but it went fine.

That is all for today. Tomorrow is freight day at work and Friday will be long run.

• jo_marnes
    Options
    Dou - I record all my workouts - do you keep a training diary? They are useful for this exact reason - see how far you've come or when to change things up!

Dawn - weird rules.... no swearing? I'd be out at that point, lol. I have found my new gym also hard to get to know - new equipment etc. I still haven't cancelled my old gym yet..... kinda want both!

Dna - chocolate and coffee are necessities, have as much as you need. And don't feel bad.

Julie - nice work, you sound busy but great you're still getting the workouts in.

Dna - you've had time out too remember..... and scale weight definitely isn't everything.

I'm on a rest week. Lifted Monday and it felt crappy. Did combat Tues and that felt hard. No working out weds/ thurs/ fri. Will combat Saturday and then plan the week ahead.
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Yeah I record my workouts but when I did NROLFW I recorded them on the workout sheets and I have no idea where they are. When I started supercharged I bought a notebook so that I could have all of my workouts together so it is much easier to see. I never dated the workouts though and I am regretting that now.

I managed to get back to the gym this week and finish strength and power 1 but now I am sick so have done nothing for the last two days. Tomorrow either I am going to be better and work out or else I am going to the doctor. Fingers crossed its the former.

Dawn, i feel your pain about shopping for wedding stuff, I hate when I need to buy things like that. But yay for fitting into clothes from H&M. that is awesome.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Jo - It was just a poster on the wall. I'm pretty sure they aren't enforced. Swearing occurred during the time I was there cause yeah, not sure why it's on the list let alone number 1. Found it interesting though since most just have the clean up after you're done or don't drop weights posted around the dumbbells and such, that I've seen. I need to do a pros and cons list of the options available then pick something cause it's that or keep driving to other location all winter long...

Dou - Thanks. I've never been much of a shopper and some of the styles don't match needs at the time. I've never really bought coats, not in the last 5 years or so. Always struggled to fit right with my short arms and round stomach, unless I went maternity. Now, I have more options but am picky. I want the right coat and the right shoes so I can use more than once.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    6 mile jog this morning. Last long run until the 10k.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I am in San diego the next three nights. Will do lifting workout mon and tues morns. I brought bands in case the hotel workout room sucks.

BOOM!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Okay night. Went and lifted after work then jogged on treadmill. Will admit, I had a candy bar before going to the gym and it was delicious. :wink:

19 - Upper Hyper

incline bench 4x10 @ 65 - okay, decided to keep it here instead of trying 70 again. I managed the reps fine so maybe next time I'll try to increase.
    db fly 4x10 @ 15 - not bad
    seated row 3x8 @ 70 - slight increase but went fine
    one db row 3x8 @ 25 - also increased this one
    db lat raise 3x9 @ 12.5 - tough at the end
    seated db curl 3x10 @ 17.5 - not a fan still
    cable tri extension 4x8 @ 60 - tougher but managed

25 minute jog on treadmill

Now to get online stuff done so I can get some sleep. Going to lift more often this week trying to arrange it so I've got time before 10k for rest and the last lift session isn't lower power. Doing some jogs in the week but all of them will be less than 5k. Need to plan food out though and work on a little bit of a carb increase or more just an actual paying attention to carbs, plus am making sure I'm well hydrated all week. Fun times.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    Okay night. Went and lifted after work then jogged on treadmill. Will admit, I had a candy bar before going to the gym and it was delicious. :wink:
    This is all good.

I lifted yesterday - all good. Day off today as too much else on. Aiming for leg day early tomorrow.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    The workout room was tiny, but fairly well equipped. DB's up to 50 lb....and a bench. So, I can cobble together a decent upper and lower body workout with that. I worked out as soon as it opened and nobody came in the 75 mins I was there.

I will walk the beach a few times this afternoon.

And I will do another lifting workout tomorrow morning.

San Diego is so lovely. I always enjoy my time here!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Have fun Beeps.

Another lifting day after work for me. The upper/lower split does make it a little easier when going more often than usual. Though I wish I'd stop forgetting stuff. Yesterday, forgot sports bra so had to lift with just my regular bra. Today I left my phone at home (so no music) and I grabbed shorts instead of a shirt, so I lifted in my work shirt. Going to lift tomorrow too, meeting coworker at her gym. Hopefully, I won't forget anything that I need.

20 - Lower Hyper

front squat 4x9 @ 80 - okay though achy wrist still on this weight
    bar lunge 3x8 @ 65 - okay for lunges, never going to really like them though
    good mornings 3x8 @ 65 - took turns between these and the lunges
    leg extension 4x9 @ 80 - slow and tough by end
    leg curl 4x8 @ 70 - okay, tad heavy
    seated calf 4x10 @ 90 - easy enough

That is all for that one. Now to finish things up then bed. Still have some glorious carb days (just trying to get a decent amount as I never paid them much attention) and continuing staying hydrated, so fun times.