Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Good luck Beeps.

I'm trying to go more long term with my lifting plan as my goal is to stick mostly to program until June. I say mostly just because I might add little things like good mornings to one of the lower days and such, plus the occasional do something different. I kind of want to try t-bar row at some point instead of bent over row, so we'll see. But the general lifting plan is stick to one program (PHUL) for that time frame since over the last year I've done SL, NROLFW then a 3x5 form of SL with accessories. After break, I plan to continue deficit but not an aggressive one at this point as my goal for now is just to get to around 120. Which after the wedding and such, it's just under 1/week goal wise.

The hope is to go to a water park in summer, which means swimsuit and location I've never been to not obese. We went to some when I was younger but it wasn't as fun for me as my step siblings since they were never overweight. I'm also considering trying to get to see my sister in California over summer as my 2016 vacation, so it's part of the goal too.

Anyways, both long term and short term have their ups and downs. You always seem very determined and I know you can smash some awesome goals... both long term and the occasional short-term successes.
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Julie, the advice he gave me was to hold the bar with my hands closer to my head and keep my elbows tucked in and parallel to my body. This helps me to create the bridge on my back to hold the bar and I can hold the bar lower that way. It's still not perfect and my back hurt again leaving the gym today but I am going to keep working away with a low weight until I get it right.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,958 Member
    Options
    I admire your consistency, Dawn. That, to me, is evidence of "lifestyle change"....not just some flash-in-the-pan thing.

BOOM!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I lifted today. So, a BOOM for me, too!
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Beeps-it's good to have a plan!! Thanks for the info on the moderators. Wish I'd known then. Since that streak I've missed more since I wasn't up that go anymore :(.
    Dawn-you're doing great! Always inspiring to me!
    Dou-thanks! I'll fiddle around with that next time. :) I struggle with back pain sometimes and deloaded my squat for the same reason. I managed 5x5 at 75lbs today with no pain at all! I try so hard to stay as upright as possible.

Finally got to lift today! Man, life has been so crazy lately! I got in some good compound lifts, and felt good when I was done. Not sure if I'll get there again this week, but I'd like to! Scale is finally coming down a bit! Hurrah! Still up 2lba from pre-Maui weight, but better than my high. I'll take it. Set a goal of back to 158 by thanksgiving, which is a bit ambitious for slow losing me, but s goal is good!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    :smile:

Long day. Our freight was supposed to get there at a ridiculous early hour in the morning, very unusual, but instead it didn't get there until almost 3pm, so we didn't get as much of it done as usual. Add one coworker out sick, manager sick but came in as she was out the last two days, and it was just a struggle of a night. Still have so much to do before vacation too, so sleep will be less. Oh well. Tonight was day 2 of the max testing so I decided to go for squats.

Squat max test

After warm ups, I did 175, 185, 190 and 195 for 1 rep. The 195 was rough and slow but made it up so I tried 200 and all I did was go down. lol It was the first time I've not pushed up from a squat, which made it interesting. Happy with 195 and think I'll reach the 1.5 x bodyweight maybe in early 2016.

leg press 3x10 @ 200 - nothing unusual
    rdl 3x5 @ 135 - might look up stiff legged deadlift as well cause I'm not sure on the difference to be honest
    sumo deadlift 3x5 @ 155 - okay though still find it awkward, last set was a little better though
    hip thrust 3x10 @ 70 - hadn't done them in a long while, don't like using the fixed bars but eh

Now to finish things up and get some sleep. Going back to gym in like 8 hours for upper body and to maybe get a body fat tested with calipers just to get an idea since I've been going to the gym for a year and want to check it out before vacation/break. Plus I need to maybe stop at a couple of store as I still need shoes and I work up close shifts all weekend.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    So tired. Didn't get to sleep until after 3 am, though was in bed before 2. Then got up in order to get to the gym early enough as I have work soon. Gym was busy and trainers were all occupied when I asked about caliper test before workout. After workout one lady talked to me for a moment but she was a little rude, at least the tone she used, about how it would be higher since I worked out and need to schedule in advance. She also made a comment about how I could just use weight, as if I don't already track that. :neutral: Last time the one did a measurement after workout and scheduled for a before one, but this one just irked me. Probably didn't help that I was tired and hungry. Then went to shoe store but no luck. Did managed to test bench today though no spotter but meh, it wasn't that bad fail despite having to set it on me before moving it down so I could sit up. Oddly that was easier than the incline bench fail but the weight was more. Oh well.

Bench Max Test

warm up sets followed by a couple reps at 95 then did 100, 105 and 110 for 1 rep. Tried 115 but failed.

seated row 3x8 @ 70 - nothing unusual
    decline bench 3x5 @ 55 - tried just for fun
    bicep curl with cabe @ 50 - eh, different
    bench db fly 3x10 @ 15 - easy
    skull crusher 3x8 @ bar + 10

Bench took a long time with making sure I rested several minutes. Wish I could have gotten the 115 but since I'd been failing at my sets on 100, was nice to even make 110. Last up is deadlift and I think I'll do that sunday night after work. Now to get ready and maybe eat some foods.
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm here still. I've read through the last few pages and you all seem to be doing really well.

I just posted a whole thing and somehow it didn't post. What a pain. I think it's when I add in an emoji. Odd.

Anyway, long story short, I am going to be done NROL Abs this coming week, and then I will take a week off of lifting (cause I haven't in a while) before beginning the new Strong program. I have felt less motivated lately so I'm hoping the week off, to just run, will help reinvigorate me.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I am going to eat lots of halloween candy, today. The end.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    My dinner was cupcakes. :wink: We had a pot luck thing at work but it was just things like ice cream, cupcakes, donuts and caramel popcorn. Now I'm at Shari's diner and finally had regular food. Trying to write as it's National Novel Writing Month.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Good morning! You're all doing well...cupcakes for dinner? Lol!

I had a high carb day yesterday, perfect for Halloween. :) doing well. Need to lift more...someday I'll be done with the chiropractor and have more time!

Nice to see you pudding! Good job!

Kutgw ladies!!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    My dinner was cupcakes.

Love this.

Ok, November is here and I am back on the bandwagon after my week off. I thought I'd feel like I have loads of energy but that is not the case - maybe due to work shifts? I dunno. Anyway, my mission now is "abs for xmas!". I have no idea if that is possible, but I am going to make a concerted effort to actually see my abs.... just so I know I can do it. So that means cutting my body fat % right down. I'm not really liking my chances as it took me 4 months to lose 1% but hey, I was aiming to gain then, so there might be some diet changes I can implement. I will still be lifting 3 x per week and then will add interval training. Will be doing that today at home as the youngest two kids have a day off school today.

Anyone have any good ideas/ tips/ resources for cutting body fat%? I know I have read heaps before but can't seem to find any legit articles now that I want them!
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Hey this happened to me too. I meant to post here about coming back into group after a year gone, but it posted to a general thread instead. Can't figure out how to here on my iPad.

quote="Pudding1980;34453670"]I'm here still. I've read through the last few pages and you all seem to be doing really well.

I just posted a whole thing and somehow it didn't post. What a pain. I think it's when I add in an emoji. Odd.

Anyway, long story short, I am going to be done NROL Abs this coming week, and then I will take a week off of lifting (cause I haven't in a while) before beginning the new Strong program. I have felt less motivated lately so I'm hoping the week off, to just run, will help reinvigorate me.[/quote]

• rocky503
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm up about 15pounds. Getting back to making fitness a priority, starting with getting 10,000 steps in a day and plan to start some lifting in mid November. Glad to see familiar ladies still here.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    So much to do and I'm leaving by 7 am in the morning for an 11(ish) hour drive, yet I'm still up and no end in sight. I went to the gym after work. The disappointing part is that I forget my cell phone in my car. Didn't feel like going out to get it so I couldn't film my deadlift to show my parents and it would have been the best time as barely anyone was there lifting. Still, went of the max test on deadlift along with some other lower body stuffs.

Deadlift Max Test Day

warm up with low bar squats, 3x5 @ 135 - hadn't done them in a while and I don't like just going right to deadlift.

deadlift: included rdl warm up 1x5 @ 135 then 1 rep each of 195, 205, 215... 225. I had to smile afterwards cause I surpassed my small goal and actually managed the one I didn't think I'd reach in 2015. The 2 sets of 45 on each side, 225 deadlift. And I didn't feel like I was going to fail either despite how freakin' heavy it was. Seriously too bad my phone was in my car.

front squat 3x10 @ 65 - easy enough and kept it low to do good mornings between sets
    good morning 3x12 @ 65 - fine

Then I called it a night cause the rest for max testing takes up time and I've got to be up in less than 5 hours now. Still need to finish a couple of things before I can try to get a few hours of sleep. Will be getting an energy drink for sure on this first day of driving. Won't be posting "workouts" unless I go for a run or happen to have access at wherever the wedding is held, but chances are, no lifting while I'm gone but I'll be checking in the forums on occasion for fun. Yay vacation!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I hope you get your abs for Xmas, jo_m!!

Hi rocky!

I lifted today. BOOM!
  • rocky503
    Options
    That was what my coming back post was about. I liked checking in with this group here and to talk about different things in addition to lifting. Like outfits with pictures (I've had to update my wardrobe for a new job in the las year), daily stuff that is happening etc.

Recently the dust has settled in my life so I can get back to fitness. I got a much needed massage today which was great. Currently I am in a sourdough bread making jag which was inspired by reading the book "Blue Zones". I had some flops at first but got the hang of it now so it is rewarding.

My daughter and I are going to New York next week so deciding on what to bring for our trip.
    Beeps2011 wrote: »
    So many of us follow each other all over mfp and I thought this could be ONE place where we could gather, on a daily basis, to report about ANYTHING.

It doesn't JUST have to be NROL4W-related....but, since we are ALL members of the NROL4W group, it makes it one easy place to "catch-up" on how our NROL4W mfp friends are DOING!
  • rocky503
    Options
    I love arugula! In pasta or with steak, in a omelette. and of course in a salad (with pear and blue cheese).
    Beeps2011 wrote: »
    Last night was my V-Day dinner. I started with an arugula salad and arctic char. And my main course was ahi tuna with an olive polenta and sauteed arugula.

Believe it or not, even with 2 alcoholic beverages, I stayed UNDER my daily calorie allowance.

Not what was intended, but that's how it happened.

PS - my husband had the 5-course V-Day feast and it looked pretty scrumptious. But, I stuck to my fish. And I'm happy with that choice.

• Beeps2011
    Options
    ....i have binged at every bday lunch and every bday supper for the past week.....i am totally binged-OUT.

I am returning to deficit-cals tomorrow....through to xmas. Which is doable.

BOOM!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Hope everyone is having a good weekend. I am just waiting to get my hair done for the wedding. Going to be a long, fun day. Will be back posting more by Tuesday.