Working up to a chin up?...

Options
I have a goal of being able to do chin ups... HOW DO I GET THERE??? My gym doesn't have a machine assisted chin up thing... I've been working my arms.. today I got my partner help me with my legs.. but I don't always have a partner. suggestions?

Replies

• jeweljeans
    jeweljeans Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have a goal of being able to do chin ups... HOW DO I GET THERE??? My gym doesn't have a machine assisted chin up thing... I've been working my arms.. today I got my partner help me with my legs.. but I don't always have a partner. suggestions?
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Lat pulldowns will help you build up strength. If there is a chinup/ pullup bar at the gym (chinups are with your hands facing in, using your biceps more, and pullups are with your hands facing out, using your lats more). Chinups are easier for me than pullups. I worked my way up to doing full chinups/ pullups from doing P90X and doing assisted ones (using a chair to get over the bar and then slowly lowering back down).

Hope that helps some! :bigsmile:
  • trenauldo
    trenauldo Posts: 235
    Options
    Jewel... Jess is right on the mark. Chin-ups are with your palms facing you and fists grasping the bar, so a chin-up is going to engage your bicep muscle as well as your upper back. If it's chin-ups that you're specifically wanting to improve on, do exercises for your upper arms, forearms, and back. The beauty of the pull-up & chin-up is that one exercise engages all those muscle groups in the same movement.

They can be tough for sure... so go get 'em..!
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    Oh I would love to be able to do these too. I am first trying to tackle that 100 push thing.