Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    1650y 47:59 Not my most brilliant swim ever. I was underslept having been woken several times last night with nightmares about big honkin' Great White sharks.

Not a fun time for an open water swimmer...

I'm not sure I could get in the water after nightmares like that. Yikes!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Noon Hour Splash and Dash 750m
    250m crawl
    250 breast
    100 back
    100 kick drills
    50 scull cool down
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    46:14 1650y

I was all grumpy because a whole lane was being taken up with aqua aerobics, but as it turns out, that really wasn't such a bad thing. A lot of the people who are the "workout but don't get my hair wet"* types were taking the class and it left the lap swimmers on their own, which was really nice.

* Which is totally a legit use of the pool, mind. water>notwater It's just I hate sharing a lane with someone doing that, as I am doing something different enough that we bump into each other.
  • mpeters1965
    Options
    Swam for an hour, uncertain yardage. Four IM sets in the middle based on a challenge from my friend, who, as always, left me way behind. :smile: Got a cramp in my foot but it was at about minute 56 in the hour so it didn't make much of a difference.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Options
    No swim yesterday. I work with special needs 3-5 year olds. The snot factor by November is tremendous. I could feel a cold coming on and felt I should put the swim energy into rest instead. The last thing I want right now is to be sick on my Thanksgiving break. I went home and watched the Traiblazers lose again :( However, I feel much better today, so I'll probably get my mile in and then do the cardio class.

Noel, I hate sharing a lane with someone who is not swimming. For our class, they rope the lanes off (makes for fewer lap lanes, but everybody knows it). I always chuckle at the people who want a pool workout but don't want to get their hair wet (?) I sweat so much that I have to go under to cool off.
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'm in Colorado for a conference and found a place to swim. It was all I could do to get 1400 yards in 35 minutes. Toto, we're not at sea level any more!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Did I swim today? Let's just say "sort of." I'm at a conference, and the hotel has one of those entirely too short pools--but at least not overheated or crowded with children. No goggles, so I stuck with heads - up breast stroke and back stroke for about 20 minutes. But I took a brisk 45 - minute walk earlier in the day, so on the whole, I think I burned MOST of the brick oven goat cheese, wild mushroom and red pepper pizza that called my name!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Swim Lesson 3/10.
    50 Front Crawl finger drag warm up.
    Front Crawl Ladders 25, 50, 75, 100, 100, 75, 50, 25 - 10s rest front 15s rest back.
    reducing stroke count on back half to improve catch, glide and kick technique.
    Breast Stroke Whip Kick Ladders with kick board 25, 50, 75, 75, 50, 25 - 15s rest
    Breast Stroke Whip Kick Ladders with Slide Arms 25, 50, 75, 50, 25 - 15s rest
    Breast Stroke Ladders 25, 50, 75, 100, 75, 50, 25 - 15s rest.
    Reducing stroke count on back half to improve catch, glide and kick technique.
    50 free cool down. That was an intense 60 minutes.

In the first lesson last week 3 of the other swimmers ( who I have never seen before ) in the group were arrogant/disrespectful to the swim coach - she is a young lady (senior) in the local swim club. They got a lesson in humility as she holds over half of the records for the pool - the girl flies in the water.

@NoelFigart1 We don't realize how important sleep is to everything we do - Until we get kicked by it. Yea Great White sharks would not be a fun time for an open water swimmer. Still decent distance/time.
    @mpeters1965 I usually get cramps on Breast Stroke so I know the pain.
    @girlwithcurls2 Nothing like a cold to ruin your day/swim.
    @nuffer Nothing like altitude to make your respiratory system struggle. I do some Mountain Running/Scrambling in the summer so I know how this feels.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    First swim in a week. Had tetanus booster last Thursday and since then have had aching arm and only been able to work half days as have needed a 3 hour sleep by lunchtime. Including today!
    2500m
    2X50 free
    2X50 br
    4X50 free on 50
    400 free (5.51)
    400 alt back/free
    400 pull
    4X50 kick sprint first 25
    2X300 as 100 free 100 br 100 back with 20s rest between each 300
    100 warmdown

Amazing how unfit you get in a week.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    mile swim mixed strokes, 53 minutes
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    48:34 1650y

You know when you have Just One of Those Swims? Hair falls out of the swim cap, goggles leak, can't get your groove on?

Yeah.

I keep reminding myself that muscling through those are just as important as gliding through the ones where you feel like Neptune Himself.
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I was away all weekend so didn't get into the pool until yesterday (45 mins - 2.2km). Went to the England vs France football match last night so missed this morning's swim as needed the extra sleep.

Big news is that at lunchtime just now I have signed up to another gym near work which has a 25m pool (old pool is 20m) which means that I will be able to swim for an HOUR in the morning before work - first dip will be tomorrow and I am very much looking forward to it. Best of all they have a branch near my home which I can use on the weekends which also has a 25m pool.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Options
    I did get a swim in. It was mediocre at best. But I did get there, and I did practice pulling back to the hip, not so deep, as my swim buddy on Sunday suggested. Then an hour water cardio class that kicked my puhtoohtie...
  • mpeters1965
    Options
    I don't swim until tomorrow morning but I just signed up for a stroke clinic sponsored by the USMS in Orlando, FL in January. Very excited! I'm only about an hour away from Orlando.

Way to keep it up everybody, especially those of you off traveling and those of you just struggling. Good to hear about the closer pool, Panda!
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Good morning. First session in the new pool which was really good. For once I was the slowest person in the pool which I don't mind at all as swimming with faster swimmers just makes me go faster as well! 25m was a bit of a shocker as I am used to more mini rests on the open turns, but I will get used to it. Managed 55 mins and did around 3km (could be a little less or a little more as I know I missed counted a couple of times).
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Yesterday: 5km in 115 min
    Hope to get that time down when I swim the same distance on December 5th.
    Two years ago I was doing 2km in 130 min (or more) and feeling like I had just climbed Everest at the end of it!
    Now (in the words of Noel) it just felt like Wednesday :smile:
    So the body is definitely a different beast then it was 2 years ago! Progress!
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Mmmm a fairly rubbish swim - slow, and lost count, and not sure what time I got in and my shoulder hurting a bit and....

But I went. And I did not succumb to my desire to get out early.

It is not always easy to keep going, is it? But when I remember the really important goals (healthy heart etc) rather than the smaller goals (faster or better or thinner or whatever) then the discipline to just go is easier I find.

I have decided to put a waterproof iPod on the Santa list... I want to try the story book/ podcast approach to seeing if I can make the swim itself more enjoyable. Mind you I asked last year and did not get...clealry have not been good enough!

Good job Gently! The music definitely helps me going too, especially through the longer swims. And now with a 6 hour swim in my near future, I wouldn't do it without the music. I don't know if that's a good thing!
    So today I officially joined a masters swim team! So psyched! Also excited to post workouts here! I have actually been working out with them for the past month or so. It was hard to get back in the pool with a swim team after a 4 year absence, especially a team doimnated by 25 to 35 year old males and the youngest female is 10 years younger than me! Ratio of males to females is 6 to 1! Which will keep me on my toes!
    So today's workout:
    75 minutes
    3500m total
    400m warm up
    4x100 (100 slow, 100 medium, 100 medium fast, 100 FAST)
    4x200 (200 slow, 200 medium etc)
    4x400 ( same as above)
    all based on 2min per 100
    300 cool down

Fantastically. I envy you. Would love to be part of a team!

My first race of the season yesterday. 1km ocean swim and I did it in 26 minutes which is less than I did last year! Hoping to move up to 2 km by the end of the season
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @emmab0902 That Sucks. Protect what you have as much as possible.
    @AquaticQuests 10km run and 15km swim that close to each other will be a challenge.
    t.
    Welcome back Boing. Actually it's a half marathon and 5 km swim that are a week apart end of this month. The 15km I hope to do anytime before Christmas!
    Bruceapple wrote: »
    Feel for you Emma. I swam today 900 YD = .5 mile: @ 33 min.
    Good to see you Bruce!
    Emma, it sounds totally cut and dry!! I hope they find someone smart and sensible who has the authority to make a good decision in your favor.

I did a mile today. First timed mile ever. Slow- 47 min, but now I have a baseline if I want to improve!

Good job Curly. Now that you've timed it, you know the time to beat!
    Oh, wow, AQ. That's scary when you feel so much doubt coming in to an event!

1100y, though I am not sure the exact time. I forgot to charge my watch. I just called it an average for that distance (31 minutes) and called it good.
    More confident now that I've got another run in! :smile:
    Early morning workout-- 2700 y / ~72 minutes. Travelling so won't be back in the water until next Thursday, but I'll try to find some other way to keep active while I'm on the road.
    Good job rose. Back in today?
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Ran a very slow and difficult 14 km on some very steep hills this morning.
    First time to run anything above 6 or 7 km in at least a decade.
    I have real doubts about a 21 km in 2 weeks time.
    @AquaticQuests Is the course fairly flat or is it hilly?
    If it is flat your 14 km Hills will probably translate to 20% more so you have proven the capacity for ~ 17km already
    A slow pace is the way to do it - slow down your pace and stretch out the time a little bit. I believe you can do it. Your cardiovascular capacity from swimming definitely helps. Try to get 2 more long runs in - but when you are in the last 7 days nothing longer than 7km. Last 3-4 days max one 3 km run. Let the legs rest/recover/heal.

If you want to add some running as part of long term plan come and join us in the Running Group.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10276603/november-2015-running-challenge#latest.
    Great advice Juliet. Not sure what the half marathon course will look like, but hoping it will be a lot flatter than the hills I was running on :smile: yep will check out the runners group too! Great!
    60sPanda wrote: »
    Good morning. First session in the new pool which was really good. For once I was the slowest person in the pool which I don't mind at all as swimming with faster swimmers just makes me go faster as well! 25m was a bit of a shocker as I am used to more mini rests on the open turns, but I will get used to it. Managed 55 mins and did around 3km (could be a little less or a little more as I know I missed counted a couple of times).
    Blazingly fast as usual Panda. You and Emma should train together! :smile:

• NoelFigart1
    Options
    1650y 46:06

Even though the speed difference is fairly small, this was one of the workouts I like. Worked on flip turns for one set. (1650 for me is 100 Breast/400 Free x3 + 50 Breast 100 free) Then did my open turns that I like better, but really need to go bye-bye.

But how I tell a workout was good? When I take off my cap and my hair falls down and slaps against my back, its HOT. That's the good workout feeling.

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Back home from Boston, to a new pool pump and a new boiler (which means reliably hot water in the shower!) 1.5 miles in ~72 minutes!
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Nope.

Nor Monday either. The Body is not being obliging.... And though I usually manage to do something on those non-obliging days, not this week.

I know a number of us have Bodies that do not always oblige....and perhaps that is even the reason we swim.

I hope for a better week next week. I Don't recommend Chronic Fatigue / ME. Ofcourse there are far worst ways to be ill. But - as some of you know - constantly managing energy Input/output does get mighty tiresome. Esespcially when you get it wrong!

AQ - congrats on the running. I have been googling etc skipping (both 'jump rope' and full blown skipping). Think I might buy a rope from the sports shop near my pool - hopefully next week! Er, and a landing mat....so my knees cope!

Have good weekend swims everyone.