OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Options

Replies

• JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Now I'm hungry. Thanks, Patti!

Cindy, I love the Maine coast. Hoping to have a small travel budget next year -- with medical stuff and getting these built-ins done, plus trips for best friend's son's wedding shower and party, it's a tight budget right now. Hoping 2017 brings more opportunity -- and that maybe I will be able to be on my feet more with less pain. Enjoy camp for me -- especially the water view!
  • KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Good late morning friends. So nice to see so many posts! But I am quite late.

Bert- My heart bleeds for your brother. Has he always been alone or divorced? Being alone facing something like this is very scary, I know it was awesome for him for you both to be there for him. He has lots of friends it sounds and I'm sure they will rotate through and help him. Did you have any luck with a new caretaker when he comes home? Like Patti said, maybe the discharge planners can help at the rehab center. Bless his heart and yours.

Janet- So glad you are enjoying the Olympics. I am watching the men's swimming now. Are those bruises on Michael Phelp's shoulders, or do you watch this sport? I really enjoyed the USA gymnastic team last night. They were awesome.

Cindy- I am actually reading your last book now. I did not realize I never started it! I am hooked!! My eye is so dry I can only read for 15-20 minutes at a time, because forget to blink!! We definitely must plan the OMG retreat!!

Patti- Glenn is 99% over his cold, ribs are sore from the coughing, but he did go to work today. Unfortunately he decided to share the love and now my throat is raw!! I hope it doesn't get as bad as his. Thank you for asking.

I awoke at 3:15am with a burning throat, so Glenn is sharing his love. I hope I don't get it as bad. I'm piddling around the house and making me some crock pot soup.

Take care my friends ,

Karla

• JP_in_KY
    Options
    Karla, sorry Glenn shared his crud. Please take care of yourself and rest your body and your eye. The bruises on Michael Phelps and other athletes are from a therapy called cupping. Found this quick explainer: Cupping therapy is an ancient form of alternative medicine in which a local suction is created on the skin; practitioners believe this mobilizes blood flow in order to promote healing. Suction is created using heat (fire) or mechanical devices (hand or electrical pumps).

Of course I watch men's swimming and diving -- makes my eyes very happy. Was bouncing up and down on the bed last night, cheering the relay team on. Amazing what those athletes in all sports can do with the human body.

Tired today so taking it easy. I have a new muscle relaxer (my insurance refused to pay for flexeril, even though it's a cheap generic, so am going to try baclofen. I've been way tight lately in neck, back & shoulders and a massage isn't in the budget right now (especially given the $510 water bill I just got -- getting my lawn greened up has been expensive, but sprinkler schedule has been backed off now and I hope the next bill will be more reasonable). And of course there was a notice of a 6.9% rate increase, effective this month. Yeeks!

Thawing some cooked shrimp for later and will fix a salad too. Time to get salad-focused again, and protein-focused too. One day at a time, dear friends!
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Ladies-
    Drum roll- Ready to Soar is live on Amazon, Barnes and Nobel and iTunes- e-books and paperbacks! So exciting!!!!!
    Karla- I hope you enjoy LFK- feel free to review.
    Patti- your review of the book made my heart melt- thank you.
    Janet- save your pennies....
    Need to run - off to camp.
    Doing a happy dance.
    Cindy
  • JP_in_KY
    Options
    Just ordered the paperback and downloaded the Kindle version. Congrats, Cindy! So thrilled for you.

This is turning into a day of doing little here. Oh well ... Must get out for a few errands tomorrow but nothing big for several days -- finally. Need to recharge.
  • JP_in_KY
    Options
    Hope you don't mind another pic of great nephew Caleb. He's in Michigan now (my brother never bothered to give me the option of driving up there so I am getting info by reading Facebook).2zekxvkz56ts.jpeg
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Janet, you can never post too many pics of that cutie so share all you want. Glad you are resting.

Karla, sorry you caught Glenn's crud. Hope it is over quickly and milder than what he had.

Cindy, you know I just loved the book. You keep getting better. Another reason I am glad I met you. Now I can say I know a very talented author?.

We got home a little before 4, and haven't done much since then, other than unloading the car and putting everything away and fixing dinner. All that having fun in the sun takes it's toll, lol.
    My son found a house in his neighborhood that was going up,for auction. He and Pam fell in love with it. Auction was yesterday and they got the house for almost exactly what they wanted to pay for it. So happy and excited for them.

Time for bed, talk to you later
    Patti
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Good morning ladies. No burning throat this morning, Yeaaa, but still sneezing.

Janet- wow, Caleb is growing up so fast. I concur with Patti, never too many pics of him! Your relatives bug me with their I considerations!!!

Making me a nice cup of tea and relaxing with another episode of Bosch on Amazon.

Karla
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies. Today is Jillian's first day of kindergarten. I went with them to Open House last night. She was overwhelmed and cried, but Greg said today she did a complete 180 and is fine. I'm so happy for her!

My brother has 2 more radiation treatments. He will be moving to a VA approved rehab tomorrow. I'm so hoping this facility will help him gain his strength back so he will be able to manage when he gets home.

Have a great day, everyone!

4t9z40mbsbbj.jpg
  • luzingg
    Options
    Quick good morning before I head to mom's. Picked up some fresh green beans at the farm market yesterday and will take her some. She loves them. Need to see if she needs me to pick up anything else. So nice to be able to do any little or big thing she needs done. I am well and truly blessed.

Karla, glad you don't seem to be as sick as Glenn. Enjoy your day.

Bert, what a sweetie she is. Hope her first day of school goes well and starts her on the path to loving school.

Patti
  • xjsjaguar
    xjsjaguar Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,
    Rainy morning here as I sit with a cup of coffee and sip some water, while trying to decide what to prepare for breakfast. Hubby isn't a brekkie kind of guy, so it's often an opportunity to combine some favorites into something interesting and tasty to launch the day. Hmmmmm...

We cleared out our wildflower garden yesterday, as it was overgrown with clover amidst all the remaining little blossoms. I removed the large rocks from around the edge, so Myron could launch his landscaping logs project to replace the edging and allow for new soil and peat fill. Found the weeds creeping up once more, so set to task with clearing and gardening on the slopes again yesterday. The back is still a bit tight and the hamstrings along with them, so need to do some walking or hiking to stretch out a bit today, as long as the rain let up a bit.

Have now set up my visual reminder for the pounds still to go, with coffee beans in a little ceramic bowl on the kitchen window sill. In addition to the little reminders written on a sticky note by the fridge of "why I'm doing this", hoping these tools will be helpful on the journey to my personal goals. THanks to Karla for the concept!

Praying for your brother and you, Bert...that he is able to find a spot of stability in his life following the treatments, as well as an attentive care team to surround him during this vulnerable space in time. Smiling as Jillian begins her kindergarten and indeed at all those who are beginning a new chapter this fall!

Karla, hope you are on the road to healing after some good crock pot soup from yesterday. Hopefully the virus doesn't cause added shingles symptoms for you this week and that you continue to "take it easy" to avoid that.

Patti, thank you for sharing your cabin stories and the wonderful meal ideas as well! What a wonderful get away space you and Edd are able to enjoy together with friends and family. Does your Mom ever get there to enjoy it with you? I laughed when reading about the antics of that great dane puppy. Friends have an adult great dane who is just the most affectionate pup and such a quiet - albeit large - presence in their lives every day. Glad you find ways to make summer last with preserving and freezing all that delicious produce!

Cindy, such a wonderful accomplishment for you to have the latest book finally out to the public at large! Kudos to you for hanging in there through the challenges to get to this point! As you enter the next chapter, may you continue to find great joy in your creation and may others join you on your journey into the next book. Your joyfulness is contagious!

Janet, your joy in sharing images of little Caleb is tangible and I appreciate you sharing this with us all here. As you look forward to cooler days in the coming fall, hopefully the watering of the landscape doesn't exhaust your budget and make other potential adventures less attainable. I agree it would be fun to get together and will need to be careful financially to make something like that happen in 2017. Enjoy your olympics feast and I will be alongside watching events at time as well!

Myra, hope all is going smoothly as your summer season begins to transform into fall school preparations. Always great to hear from you and see your smiling and positive feedback here. Having a group as supportive as this is a compelling reason to continue coming back, isn't it?

For Suzi, Jeanette or any of you who I've missed, or who come here periodically, hope you also feel encouraged to keep the faith.

Hugs,
    MaryLynn
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Yes, MaryLynn, this group is a compelling reason to keep coming back :)

Waiving hello to all. I've been reading, but not having the time to respond the way I want to, so have been avoiding it. sigh.

I"m smiling :) and I"m feeling better now that i'm eating better. I've decided that my "jars" will count fat percentage points, as indicated by my WW scale. and i concur that 8/15 is a good start date for the jars, but I won't let that trick my inner child into thinking she can eat processed food until then. HA!

I'm making minuscule progress in physical therapy but i'm still not able to exercise like i want to. I've been given permission to "try" a bike ride...... maybe later this week i'll give it a whirl.

Janet- rest up. great picture of Caleb :)
    Patti- congrats to your son!
    Karla- keep the crud at bay
    Cindy- congrats on the book!
    Bert- prayers for your brother. sweet picture of Jillian :)

that's all i can remember for now. My third child turns 12 on Friday and I'm making preparations to have 5 extra girls spend the night.

oh and my husband has proposed the idea of a puppy to our girls. oy. i'm still not ready. I'm hoping to use it as a bribe to get them to stop arguing so darn much. wish me luck, lol.

hmmm.... now i vaguely remember Janet asking how far my daughter moved away..... She (and her younger brother) went towards the NC mountains.... about a 4 hour drive from Raleigh. She has a job, but he doesn't. I try not to worry. whew. at least i know they have one relatively good car between them! :)

myra
  • JP_in_KY
    Options
    Hi, everyone, from steamy Kentucky. The Humidity Festival seems to have pitched its tent here for the week -- thank heaven for AC.

Myra, I can feel the smile. Glad your PT is helping some. Have fun with the giggling sleepover! Count me pro-puppy. My friends who visited me last week went to a family wedding in Raleigh -- thought of you.

MaryLynn, you and Myron seem to find new ways to improve on perfection! Going to do some stretching here as well.

Bert, little Jillian is just too adorable for words.

Patti, I know you and your mom had a great time.

Karla, are you recovering and taking good care of yourself?

Cindy, hope every hour of your vacation is restorative.

Ran a few errands here, now home, making lists, etc. I know we are launching a full-court challenge next Monday, but - like Myra - I am trying to use this week as practice, reining it in and tracking everything, no matter what. Did well yesterday and so far today, but the "I'm HUNGRY!!!!" voice is screaming in my head all day. Am fully hydrated (ask the cats about getting dislodged during the night) but just need to relearn to live with constant hunger and to choose reasonably wisely. Got some rice-free sushi (wraps with salmon or shrimp & veggies and all-veg wraps). I should make a big vat of chicken soup the easy way, using canned chicken.

We know what to do, ladies. And we need to live it, just for today. And then just for the day tomorrow.

Am trying not to think about the family snub. Either they forgot or deliberately did not invite me. Either way, it hurts me deeply, but they have no clue. Anything I would say would get bounced back on me like an anvil, so I will keep crying it out and hope somebody will develop some sense. If I ever get a chance to visit my niece in OR I will have a private conversation with her -- other niece and brother are not people I could talk to about this. It is why i TREASURE my friends so much -- we choose each other and love each other as we are, encouraging and supporting with as much empathy as we can muster. And for me, that has to be enough.

Hugs to all -- will try to swing back later!
  • bertevans
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies. I'm having lunch with my retired teachers' group. I'm so looking forward to it......need to laugh and have some fun. It's another hot/humid day today. I'll need to run some errands after lunch, but will stay inside after that. Have a good day, everyone.

Bert
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Good morning friends. Slow morning with lingering nasal symptoms and slight cough. Glenn was up and down all night but trudged on to work. I can't seem to keep my husband well anymore. :(

Mary Lynn- I love your ceramic bowls and the cofffee beans! Plus your sticky notes of why you are doing this.

Myra- I know it is just reassuring to know your two older siblings are together to support each other. I am so glad you are sharing your life with us!

Patti- Your picture of the river on Facebook with the sunset and crescent moon was very beautiful.

Janet- I'm so very sorry for the slight from your niece and family. Maybe it was a last minute visit, or quick visit or really no thought giving. You have to let it go and know you are loved by so many. As the saying goes " we don't pick our relatives!". Thank you for texting me yesterday, indicating to me, you were thinking about my son with all you had on your own plate. That is because of the person you are! Chin up my friend. I am having that root canal this morning. I will give you a call or text afterwards. I've never had one. They said I could drive myself though.

Cindy- I am so enjoying this book and cannot wait to start the next. Hope you are getting some down time this week. How is the new schedule?

TT: As we head towards our target challenge week to begin our focus containers, ponder what are the reasons you desire, want or need to need to do this. Jot them down, or pull them out if you previously wrote them down. Update if you have anything new to add. Scroll up and read the quote I posted earlier this week. Let it encourage us this coming week.

We are also getting torrential rains down here. It has cooled the temps, but ruining my outside carpet. I just pulled it up to dry. I better go prepare myself to head to the oral surgeon.

Karla
  • luzingg
    Options
    Happy Wednesday ya'll!

Can I just say I don't know how I have lived all these years without a food processor! I cannot believe how much time and work it saves me. I am a gadget queen so it is beyond me why I never bought one before now. End of my personal infomercial.

Heading to my GF's house shortly to have lunch with my two besties. Salads from Chic-fil-a, yum. Then hair appointment followed by grocery shopping. We are finally getting some rain but I don't think it will be enough to help out our poor farmers. We are in the midst of a drought. Many farmers are selling off their cattle because they don't have enough grass to feed them, plus the hay yield is far below and of poorer quality because of the drought. This means higher beef prices to come for us this fall. Met with our son last night to talk about what needs to be done on his new house to get it move in ready and what needs to be done to get the other one ready to sell. So excit d for this new venture for them both.

Karla, good luck at the dentist. I hope Glenn gets better soon. I think his recent surgeries and rounds of antibiotics have left his immune system open to viral infections. I know you are taking excellent care of him and that is all you can do. None of us can keep our loved ones healthy, no matter how much we would like it to be otherwise.

Janet, I shed some tears thinking about anyone treating you this way. You are so right about friends and all the love and joy they bring to our lives.

Bert, you definitely need a day with your girlfriends, your weekend was intense and I am sure not filled with lots of laughs. Throw your head back and belly laugh a time a or two. It is good for the soul and the heart.

Mary Lynn, you really get a lot of exercise with your outdoor beautification. So happy to get to know you and your corner of the earth a bit better.

Myra, sounds like your two older children are close and have each other's backs. Must make you feel better knowing they are together when they are farther away. Hope the PT does a ton of good for you.

Hi to anyone lurking.

TT: still mulling all this over and trying to come up with a plan for me. What will motivate me, what are my reasons for getting back to taking care of this weight issue, what will it take to get it going again? All good questions, no answers at the moment but I will figure it out. Hopefully sooner than later.
    Patti
  • JP_in_KY
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Karla, good luck with the root canal. Sorry Glenn is still struggling. His other issues have probably made him more susceptible. Keep yourselves as healthy as you can!

As for the lack of an invitation, the real blame lies with my brother and other niece, who could've and should've invited me when Caleb was visiting THEIR homes, J&J are so busy when they're there (both sets of parents, siblings, etc.) and are on others' turf. But when it is ONLY immediate family, exclusion - either deliberately or because they forget I exist and how much love them - is simply inexcusable. Even assuming that it's too long a drive is unfair to me. ASK and I can say no, or go -- just give me the courtesy of choosing. I move on, knowing I cannot count on them to include me. And I am NOT going to keep raising my hand. I'll have a quiet talk with Caleb's mom sometime, but not with brother or other niece (that has gone badly in the past).

There are plenty of people who WANT me around -- in fact, I got the sweetest thank-you note yesterday from the new bride of my best friend's son. It was sincere, loving and wickedly funny.

Thanks for letting me get that out. I'm over talking about it now.

The quote spoke for itself. For me, it's not about reasons. It's about resolve and DOING. And that's where my head is -- not on why but on HOW. Had another pretty good food day yesterday and keeping up with my "soft launch" for Monday.

STRENGTH IN NUMBERS! We can do it because we always have support here!
  • bertevans
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies. My house cleaner is coming in about 45 minutes. I also have a meeting at 10, so I need to get ready in a while. They moved my brother to VA approved "rehab". He called last night in tears as it is really a nursing home. He meets with the nurses today to discuss what he will be doing. I told him this would be my incentive to work hard and get out of there. My heart breaks for him.

Janet: I totally understand you dilemma. My family is so small, but I'm not included in my cousin's daughters plans either. They are too busy with friends to include family. It is what it is I guess.

I have 2 student teachers and 1 practicum student so far. I've been in contact with one of the student teachers as she is assigned to a good friend of mine. I think she will do a great job.

Have a great day, everyone.

Bert
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Good morning ladies. Feeling all chipper and pain free in my mouth. Just a tiny soreness now. Up with the chickens putting away laundry, starting new laundry, and having a bite to eat. Speaking of laundry, have any of you heard of the Laundry Pro System? It uses cold water only to clean your clothes and you don't use ANY products at all. It is the system the astronauts use and is sold by Electrolux. I'm going to do a two week trial. It has been around for years. You hook it up to your washer cold water hose. They sell it on Amazon. Think of the savings on cleaning products.

I have a few things to do here and then on to the podiatry office.

TT: What has helped you in the past turn your bus around when you have gotten derailed Do you have a certain level you hit before you say, this is it ?!!! I know for me it was in 2011 when we were on vacation in Washington D.C. and I had such a difficult time getting up and down the steps of all the Smithsonian museums. I joined weight watchers immediately when we returned. At that time I weighed 232!!!

Have a great day and share your story if you care to.

Karla
  • luzingg
    Options
    Wow it is Thursday already! Where did this week go? Still need to hit the grocery for a few items. Only made it to Aldis and Walmart yesterday after my hair appointment. Of corse, if I had known Edd would be working until 9pm I would have friends finished my shopping last night instead of getting home to fix dinner. Had a lovely day with my GFs. We are going to Cincinnati next Wednesday to the Taft museum to see the Downton Abbey display. If we are all up to it, we are going to hit up IKEA and do lunch. Patti is doing well so far with her radiation. Her hair is trying to grow back. She has a little red fuzz. Yesterday was the first time I have seen her without a head covering. If I am ever faced with serious illness I pray that I will handle it with as much grace as my friend. She is truly an amazing person. My other friend, Cheryl, is suffering with hip and back pain that was brought on by jumping back into the world of exercise a bit too vigorously. She has been doing dry needle therapy and PT for several weeks. I had tried to get her to do a bit less when she started but she is an all or nothing type and as long as she didn't hurt she felt she was doing no harm. She is a psych nurse! I love her dearly and it is so hard to watch her be in so much pain. She will not take pain medication unless it is severe pain. Circuit this morning, laundry and grocery shopping this afternoon and TRX tonight. Will head to the cabin after my morning class tomorrow.

Bert, my heart bleeds for your brother but you are giving him good advice. Hopefully he will work harder so he can get out of there.

Karla, glad you have recovered from your root canal. I have never heard of that laundry thing you are talking about. I make my own laundry detergent, so it costs next to nothing. You only need 2 tbsp per load so it lasts forever. I usually make 2 batches per year at about $15 per batch. Let us know what you think. It might be something that would be great for the cabin since we are a septic system. My son and the neighbor each have washers and driers in their cabins.

TT: I think if I was to get on the scale it might motivate me or it could put me into a deep depression, so I have avoided it. I also know that not weighing is not helping me in any way. I am actually gearing up to face it next week so that I can join you all in your jar challenge. I think I am going to do 2 jars, one for pounds and one for inches. With the pounds I am going to set a mini goal. I know I will need to lose at least 50 pounds and that is just too daunting to face. So I think I am going to shoot for 20 pounds first.

Time to fly
    Patti