OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Options

Replies

• JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Good morning, all.

Karla, what a hassle yesterday -- so glad you are feeling better today. Never heard of this cleaning option -- keep us posted.

Bert, your brother may be surprised. When I had to go to rehab after knee replacement, the only bed they had was in the nursing home wing of the place. But it was a full rehab place. Crossing fingers he's in a similar situation. I know how motivated I was to get the heck outta there though.

Patti, I admire your friend so much. Brava! Hug her for those of us who have been following and praying for her from afar.

Learned about a new creature yesterday -- my cleaner came in and said she'd seen a baby hummingbird feeding at my butterfly bush. We knew it seemed too late for that, went out and it was still there, with the colors of a ruby-throated hummingbird, but with lace wings and antennae. Google is our friend -- it's a hummingbird moth. There are several types that mimic the appearance of different. And we found this site -- and laughed watching the animation, because that was pretty much the conversation we'd just had. If you're curious:

http://173.83.194.219/page5b.html

I still don't know what finally gave me the resolve to lost my lifelong massive extra weight but I do know I had to have been over 300 at my heaviest. I've slacked off lately and regained and though it's emotionally hard right now for a lot of reasons, I know that I can do a SERIOUS resume (NOT a restart -- a RESUME is how I think of it, because that word reminds me that I've done it before in a very serious way).

Am tracking this week and still feeling very tempted but trying to practice NO. Was at gas station yesterday and picked up a pack of PB cups but when they rang it up and it was $2.19 I put it back. Cheapness helped. So (full confession) I grabbed a pack of Butterfinger Bits. When they also rang up at $2.19, they went back too. Whatever works, I guess. Maybe I'll start a separate jar, adding the price of the snack item I WANT but don't buy and save up for something nice -- earrings or a scarf or new outfit for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Hmmm. I used to be really good at passing those things up -- just need to exercise those "No!" thought muscles again!

And if you need a laugh, these did me in -- was laugh-crying so hard I had to get kleenex:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/arise-heart?bftw&utm_term=.vuWXd247L#.uhxQXywBx
  • KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Janet- Glenn and I sat and cracked up over your buzzed link pictures. Lol. I especially liked the one of the dog paw on the pregnant belly, too funny. I know what you mean about not getting a snack at the check out and the cost being so high too. The way I handle that is with the single pack candies from either Weight Watchers or Russell Stovers. I keep them in the door of my fridge. I get my candy fix at home. I get the sugar free with the Russell Stover. I like the Pecan Crowns.

Patti- I'm glad your girlfriend is doing so well. You really have some wonderful friends. You are always going and going. Do you ever just chill?

Bert- Have you recuperate from your trip yet? I know your brother weighs heavily upon your mind. I just found out my brother that had the quadruple bypass back in 2008 has an aneurysm and has to go to UAB for surgery. Blessings to you.

I guy came and hooked up my Laundry Pro last evening. I'm so excited to begin using it. It converts your cold water into hydrocortisone and cleans your clothes that way with the 03 ozone. You can Google it under Electrolux. It is the only systems that combines the the 03 and hydrogen and used by NASA. But you add nothing to that box, so it just runs your cold water through it and purufies it. We did our research and saw rave reviews of people that have been using it for years. It is especially good for people with allergies because no chemicals. I thought good for Glenn with his skin issues and Brutus too on washing his dog bed for his. That is what many people bought it for, allergies to detergents.

I examined Glenn last night and he has a full circle open fistula now. I am calling his surgeon this morning. We will move his appointment up and discuss the referral to the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville.

A relaxing day at home, not much on the agenda.

Karla
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies! This is my 2nd attempt at posting. I lost what I typed and am having to start over! Today is another hot and humid day. I'm staying at home and am taking care of things that desperately need attention.

TT: The point that turned my bus around was when I was huffing and puffing just to do the simplest things. My blood pressure was high. After my doctor's appointment, I immediately signed up for WW. That's where I met you wonderful ladies after being encouraged to join a message board. I attended meetings, but didn't get the encouragement like you guys give. I lost 50 pounds and have gained 20 of it back. I'm working to get it off, but it's a slower process than when I initially lost. I'm so thankful for all of you!

Patti: I spoke to the facility yesterday and stated that I will be contacting them on a regular basis. I've also spoken to the social worker from the VA and expressed my concerns. They finally have administered his pain meds on a regular basis, so I'm hoping he will have a better outlook.

Janet: I'm sure hoping that my brother gets motivated. Sometimes he just accepts things, so I give him a swift "kick" to straighten himself out.

Jillian loves Kindergarten! I'm so glad she's enjoying it as she cried at Open House on Monday evening and also when they got home. She's over it now and is having a fantastic time. Saturday is her 6th birthday party. It will be a fun time.

Have a great day, everyone!

Bert
  • JP_in_KY
    Options
    Bert, the mere thought of Jillian turning the corner on kindergarten got me misted up too. That is such a cute age for girls -- can't wait to see a picture or two from her party.

Karla, oh NO! Poor Glenn. Hoping the surgeon will get you in today and make sure you get the earliest possible slot in Jacksonville or wherever (Emory in Atlanta would be closer, if they have an expert). Can't wait to see how you like the no-detergent laundry gizmo. Assuming you need Electrolux machine for it. I can't keep candy at home -- you are able to stop at one piece as a sweets fix but that is nearly impossible for me, and my system won't tolerate the sugar-free stuff with sugar alcohols. So I'm best not to have candy -- grabbing something carby, preferably with fats in it too, is one of my worst habits. I had suppressed it pretty well so know I can do it,

Was up late watching and rewatching the Olympics. Michael Phelps, Simone Biles, Simone Manuel and Aly Raisman were all otherwordly last night and I didn't even mind waking up in time to watch the middle-of-the-night replay for a couple of hours.

Going to run errands now befor promised rain sets in Bed, Bath & Beyond, Target and a few other stops. Will get groceries and then be able to work around here for the weekend.

TGIF, dearest friends! Let's all get our minds set for a hard RESUME on Monday.

• KarlaLM58
    Options
    Janet- this Gizmo works with any machine !!!

Karla
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Karla, so sorry that the fistula is open again. Is UAB not an option for referral? Why MAO? I would think they are both on cutting edge for treatment. That gizmo sounds interesting. Can't wait to hear your review after you have used it for a while.

Janet, so glad you are enjoying the Olympics. I am not a fan of watching sports other than football. Not sure why. Hope you are not out long in this horrid heat and humidity.

Bert, you are doing all the right things for your brother. The more involved you are, even if only by phone, the more will get done on their end. Keep the pressure on full force. What a blessing when our kids/ grandkids love school.

Today will be Pilates/Zumba then a short grocery trip (never made it there yesterday) then off to the cabin. It is supposed to be brutally hot with some rain, so will be in the water a ,it. Saturday night the neighbors are making tacos, I do not have to cook. I believe this is one meal they cannot ruin, lol. I will make mine a salad. Son and DIL are staying home to start working on their house to get it ready to sell. Not sure when they get the keys to the new house, can't wait to see it and help them with the redesign of their kitchen, dining and living room space. I went to interior design school for two years and realized space planning is my forte. I have a bad habit of redesigning people's homes, in my mind, wherever I go, lol.

Better get moving
    Patti

• KarlaLM58
    Options
    Washing my first load now of towels. I'm skeptical. Towels are what people commented the most on, about how fluffy, light and odor free they were and kept. Still feels strange not putting in any products , my mother would Never go for this.. Lol.

Karla
  • xjsjaguar
    xjsjaguar Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies,
    Busy couple of days around here, with hubby getting ready to go to a men's conference for the weekend. Keeping the plants from drying out and even picked our first fresh tomatoes, which I promptly sliced into a tomato, lettuce and cheese on rye toast for us both... yummy!

Adam is now in Germany with the folks from Abury and shortly will head to Morocco for 8 wks. to begin the work on his 5 design pieces. He was pretty excited and even took a picture of his packed bags that he then posted on his "twitter". We're also pretty pleased for him and wishing him a wonderful experience that may present all kinds of learning possibilities as well as help him with getting his own brand more widely known.

Shea and Andie are now formally separated and he is hunting for a roommate or two to share the huge house on 20 acres that he rents near Calgary, Alberta. He sounds pretty good and is keeping busy with work, now that he can begin writing a fresh chapter in his life. I just pray he takes his time... that ole biological clock won't tick too loudly for a while yet, I hope.

Took a hike later in the afternoon, but it was still pretty hot and tired me out on the hills this time. Still catching up on rehydrating here and thinking about you all facing some troubling weather so often, my little hot/humid day seems really mild by comparison.

It would be fun to meet you all one day and perhaps something can work out in 2017, so I'd better get my passport renewed. Of course, you would all be welcome to get together here on Vancouver Island, I'm sure there are some great rental spots along the waterfront near here.

You are all in my thoughts and prayers today.
    Hugs,
    MaryLynn
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Good morning ladies and welcome to Saturday. We are supposed to be drying out today with the rain system continuing to move westward. Sunshine, please come back. One of my prized Plumerias is set to bloom pretty soon. I named it the "Anne Plant" after my friend that started me growing these tropical beauties. It is a rare golden bloom that gives off the very fragrant smell of peaches!!

Patti- The reason we are suggesting the Mayo clinic in Jacksonville is because there is a physician there that a friend of Glenn's son went to there after having 30 surgeries, and this doctor repaired him permanently. I do not want Glenn to go through this like that!! Of course I want this to be the last time. To me, this new physician has already failed in my eyes. UAB may have a department on this, as well as the Atlanta facility that Janet mentioned. My fear is the same reaction from this physician that I got from Dr. Duffy. Some are offended.

Mary Lynn- Canada is on our bucket list for travel!! We would love to see you join us up in Maryland/Maine area next summer too. I have a Wyndham Resort membership and will try and get a three bedroom resort to accommodate several as close as I can. This will be so fun. I have been to New York City several times, but never to either of these two States, nor your country. What some giggles and hugs we will all have.

Bert- Have fun at the Birthday party.. Our grandchildren are a continuation of us, our family, our personality, as well as their parents. Izzy spent the night and we made a lemon meringue pie from the Eagle Brand recipe. We both had our aprons on. Ill post a picture, of course.

Glenn had a very scary episode last night where some mucous clogged his throat and he lost his breath. He wouldn't let me take him to the ER. He finally dislodged the mucous and calmed down. Monica told me to get him on some microbes right away to break that up.

Ex-wife problems resulting in us not getting JJ this weekend. So sad the games these vindictive ex"s play. She is viciously jealous of Izzy, and even of Angelique"s two children. I tried to talk to her and she turned on me.

Well, I thought I had sent this post earlier, but here it sits. Izzy and I are about to go out for some groceries.

TT: what type cable or satellite system do you use and are you satisfied with it?

Karla
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    ihpwxkdx8mjb.jpeg
    My little helper.
  • xjsjaguar
    Options
  • xjsjaguar
    Options
    Good morning, ladies and Happy Saturday to you all!
    Wanted to share the above image of some huge blooming lilies in our yard. Since taking the image, the other two blossoms have come out and the aroma is magnificent! This added to the scent of fresh cut fir from loading our cord of firewood is just wonderful indeed and keeps me outside, too! Bathing in natural beauty is some of the best meditative therapy I know of. Totally grateful for where the Good Lord has placed us at this time in our lives and looking forward to what He has in store for us today.

Hoping we are all handling whatever challenges we are facing with our feet firmly planted in faith. May our love and encouragement of one another be on display with our words and actions, including even our inner dialogue that is too often less than positive towards our own bodies. While perfection is not the goal, our visualization of the outcome really does matter. Just as elite athletes "see" the process leading to best performances, we can choose to help ourselves with mental imagery of each small step, leading to the next towards our personal goals. Go girls!

Love,
    MaryLynn
  • JP_in_KY
    Options
    Karla, another sweet Izzy photo. What a darling spirit shines through in each one. Maybe with Glenn unwell, having just Izzy is a good thing but am so sorry for the family drama (something pretty much all of us know too well). That mucus thing sounds terrifying. Not sure what Monica's "microbes" recommendation is but hope it works.

MaryLynn, what a great experience for Adam. Excited to see the pieces he designs with this honor. Wishing Shea the best. Alberta is so beautiful -- one of the many places I could see myself living.

Bert, has your church decided on its fall musical yet? So many great shows to choose from.

Cindy, hoping your vacation was truly a break from the grind and restored you.

Patti, loved the pic of Edd on FB -- love his smile and can see why kids are so drawn to him.

My eating has been awful the past two days but oh well -- starting Monday (if not tomorrow) I must not ask myself "What do I want?" but "What can I have?" Need to exercise the NO muscle!

Storms are due here soon -- finished the errands I cut short yesterday due to pain, so I can stay in for the rest of the weekend if I so choose. Didn't get a lot of sleep last night so thinking of a nap.

• 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Janet- my eating has been awful too. Once again, I've learned I am not capable of eating one piece of cake and then immediately "go forward". I swear I'm like an alcoholic when it comes to refined carbs. However, today is a new day, and I'm going to adopt your 'resume' attitude! today i shall resume. I survived having multiple tween girls here for a looooooong overnight. that's all i have to say about that, lol.

MaryLynn- beautiful lilly!

I hope Glenn gets healed up asap. (in both places) I feel so sorry for him. I remember needing to cough after the birth of my son, and REALLY not wanting to.

I can't scroll back a page, but please know I have kept up with reading.
    looking forward to starting our jar endeavor tomorrow!

Myra
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Good morning from my deck at the cabin. A very different weekend for me as I have spent most of it by myself. Luckily I love my own company and have thoroughly enjoyed my weekend so far. Edd's cousin was killed on Wednesday while mowing hay when his tractor overturned on him. He was 70 and worked the farm his whole life. On an odd note, the cousin's wife's first husband was killed on this same farm, in the same manner, just a different tractor. What are the odds of that? So funeral was yesterday in Williamstown, KY about 75 miles from here. Edd rode his motorcycle to the funeral and I stayed home. The pic is what he looked like after he got back. He may have looked that way at the funeral too, he never looks in a mirror! I will have to ask his other cousin that also went to the funeral. The neighbors offered to take me with them on their boat but I was content to have some me time. I cleaned the boat, soaked up some sun, did some reading and made a Hungarian wax pepper dip. It had all the ingredients that I used for the stuffed peppers I made last weekend, just in dip form. I like the stuffed peppers better but the dip was a huge hit too. Edd and I did go out for a couple of hours on the boat before dinner. The skies were ominous and the winds fierce but all the rain went to the north of us. The water was super rough, but the pontoon does very nicely in rough water. I forgot to pack my bathing suit top, so had to wear my t shirt instead, oh well, I wasn't entered into a bathing suit competition this weekend so no worries, LOL.

Mary Lynn, are you sure you aren't a motivational speaker. I look forward to your posts, I always feel so inspired by them and wish I could express myself as you do. I am going to print out your wisdom from yesterday and use it to motivate me as I resume my journey toward a thinner, healthier me. I was going to say happier but I can honestly say that although I don't care for my current weight I am not unhappy. My life is filled with so many blessings that I would feel guilty saying I am unhappy, somehow it would be like negating all my blessings.

Janet, did you get the storms that missed us? It is definitely cooler today even though we missed them. The funny thing about Edd is that kids are drawn to him but he professes to dislike children. For many years kids were afraid of him and he liked it that way. Those kids are adults now and they have lots of stories about why they feared him, all of them hilarious! He is more like bad Santa than I like to admit and I usually warn young parents to not leave their children alone with him, hahaha. Hope you got some rest and pain relief.

Karla, Izzy is getting cuter every day. I loved it when Alex was that age and cooked with me, miss having a little one around. Praying you get a referral to someone who will fix Glenn's problem. Not sure what you meant about the attitudes of the docs.

Hope our travelers are enjoying every last minute of the time off the grid.

Don't exactly have a plan for resuming my journey, but will weigh in and measure on Tuesday. Have to face it sometime and figure if I put it in writing here I will finally be ready to hit the restart button. Will start logging food tomorrow. Going back to what worked in the past. A balance of all food groups and eating as little processed food as possible. I will never give up carbs but will have them less often. Plan to stay away from low fat and artificially sweetened foods, I think they are a major problem, more so than carbs, for me anyway. Got to find the plan that will work for the long haul and will be healthiest for my body as I increase my exercise routine. I have been slacking this summer and doing the bare minimum, some weeks only getting 2 classes in. My WOB has been MIA for the past 4 months but we have been texting and she will be returning soon.

Looks like I have monopolized your time far too long so I will say adios for now
    Patti

• JP_in_KY
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Good morning, all -- everyone must be busy -- hope it's all with fun stuff.

MaryLynn, your lilies weren't visible when I posted yesterday -= wow. The long summer days up there make for such lush summers, which was a revelation to me when I first came to BC back when I was in grad school.

Cindy, savor the last day of your vacation. Here's to a relatively smooth return to work as well.

Karla, how is Glenn feeling? And you too? Forgot to answer your TT. I have cable for my TV, internet and home phone. Expensive but good picture & channel selection. Their equipment isn't terribly reliable -- and I just bought a router, which I need to install, in order to get the internet speeds I am paying for. It irks me but what can I do? Satellite can get disrupted by storms too easily and DSL, at least a few years ago, provided much worse internet connections -- that may have changed with fiber but no idea on that.

Bert, how was Jillian's party?

Patti, did you get rain? We never did but maybe today or tomorrow -- we need it. A good, old-fashioned rainy day would be lovely.

Had a wonderful, long chat with my dear friend who lives in RI. While his fiancee cooked (she's working with a chef on a new cookbook, this time Greek food), he and I talked for 2 1/2 hours about all sorts of things. My three oldest friends are people I've known well for over 40 years. We've been through school, family joys and sorrows, relationship fun and troubles, experiences galore and we know how to crack each other up very quickly.

I've been doing lots of thinking about my Rules for Resuming consistent empahsis on losing these regained pounds and am determined to get and stay back on track, despite the family stuff that has me doing too much emotional eating.

IT'S TIME. Here are things I hope to do consistently again. Face it, success at all of them every day may be overly optimistic, but sharing them here as a public commitment to give it my best shot every day. Each of these has helped me in the past; they are NOT for everyone but maybe putting them down here will make me think one more time before making poor choices. I'll probably add to the list later, but for what it's worth, here we go, in no particular order:

-- Check in with you wonderful women every day at least once
    -- Stay positive -- catch & dismiss/correct negative thoughts about my body, weight and related history.
    -- Start the day with lots of water and keep it going
    -- No food until at least 11 AM (this will get broken sometimes, but I seem to do better this way)
    -- No food after 9 PM (earlier if I can do it)
    -- No picking up snacks at gas stations, concenience stores, checkout lines
    -- A big-salad meal at least once a day -- emphsis on vegetables throughout the day
    -- Get adequate protein & plenty of fiber
    -- At least six servings of veggies/fruits a day
    -- Aside from an occasional adult beverage, drink nothing that has calories
    -- When hungry (aka all the dang time!), drink more water or calorie-free beverage, wait 15 minutes and if nothing but food will do, ask "What can I have?" and not "What do I want?"
    -- TRACK EVERYTHING ASAP
    -- Allow myself small, planned indulgences if that will help
    -- Don't let any slip turn into a derail
    -- Don't use food as a reward
    -- Save the $ for resisted snacks toward a tangible reward (clothing or accessory)

Still on my first cup of coffee, so have likely missed some biggies. Yes, I know there are no "exercise" (OH, how I loathe that word!) items on that list, but I do try to move as much and as well as I can, considering, and to stretch.

Just saw this quote from playwright John Patrick Shanley and thought you might like it as we each look our demons square in the face and commit to resume our work: "Maybe it's time to be reborn, to let go, to weep, to smile that you draw breath,have thoughts, feel pain and pleasure. Welcome to your life."

Even when life seems inhospitable, we must make ourselves at home in our own bodies. Love to you all.

• JP_in_KY
    Options
    Patti, great minds think alike -- we were both posting our commitments at the same time! I'm with you on carbs -- hoping to cut way back on them for at least the first week, aside from those in veggies and fruits. Even my low-carb, high-fiber tortillas that have ony 50 calories are a temptation.

So sorry about Edd's cousin. I understand totally about alone time -- even as someone who lives alone, there are times I hope the phone won't ring!
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies. The weekend has gone in a blur. I made a pecan encrusted flattened chicken breast last night, in which, we just had as lunch today, that is excellent.

Janet- I applaud your resolve, commitment and printed statements of encouragements to yourself. We can all learn and use them. The word "resume" is so true. We just pick up and keep going. No backlashing or pity party, we just startup.

Patti- So sorry to hear of Edd's cousin. I remember the other accident too. Farm accidents are probably far too common. I saw the hilarious picture of Edd on Facebook, talk about static electricity! What a jokesture!!

Mary Lynn- Your lilies blooming were awesome and I bet the fragrance was something to behold!! I'm so happy for both your son as they find their way. That is the comfort us mothers so desire, happiness and peace with our children.

Jason and Angelique had sushi from fresh market last night and have food poisoning effects from it today. Shock for this place which whole concept is "fresh"...

This morning my little chef and I baked a strawberry cake. Just a simple box mix, but with speckled strawberry pieces in it. We are going to frost it now that it is cooled. Fun times,

My heart still bleeds for missing JJ, and appears the attorney will have to be involved again.

Karls

• JP_in_KY
    Options
    Karla, sorry Jason & Angelique are sick -- glad you have Izzy. The JJ situation is awful -- but I bet it will get resolved in Jason's favor. Lawyers shouldn't be needed, but ... unreasonable people ...
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies-
    I've skimmed your posts and everyone seems to be doing well and getting focused for our kickoff 'project me'- at least that is what i'm calling it.
    We had chinese for dinner, I know so unfriendly but our planned meals for dinner this week are full of veggies and lean protein. I bought the yoplait greek yogurt for snacks at work so another good thing for me.
    Patti- so sorry about Edd's cousin. Glad you had some time alone at the cabin.
    Karla- Glenn is still dealing with his open wound- I think the Mayo clinic might be the right next step- Izzy is adorable as always
    Janet- so sorry I was out of the loop while you were dealing with the mean people- they suck the life out of all things good. Glad that you've risen above it and moved forward.
    The pictures of Caleb were super cute.
    MaryLynn- you grew that lily- WOW i'm impressed.
    Bert- good news on your brother going to the VA rehab.
    Well we have a hectic week but some time to just do very little. The heat and humidity have been followed most days by wicked storms. It's supposed to break tomorrow.
    As a reminder we do not have central air in the Northeast so we live with fans and cold showers.
    I dropped 5 copies of R2S to the local book store and can announce them on Tuesday. Trying to reach out and get into a couple of local fairs but so far striking out- I'm too late. I held off until I new I had the book in hand. Oh well- this will work out i'm sure. Feel free to share the LR post about the books on your page- I'm going to do a paid ad on FB in a week or two- not sure on the exact timing.
    Mom got home safely and we're planning a surprise visit to her in Jan for her 80th bday, me and the girls.
    Are we talking about a get tougher next summer?????
    Well I need to sign off for tonight- but I'm back in the saddle again.
    Tomorrow is the first day towards finding me again.
    Hugs to all
    Cindy- AKA Lucinda Race ;)