TEAM FIVE

Options

Replies

• b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Sorry team, but I am unlikely to get the 20 points from the exercise challenges. I had planned to do them today, but after a night of little to no sleep thanks to a vicious stomach bug, I have spent most of the day in bed recovering. I'm still a bit tender but much better. I leave for holiday tomorrow and there is very little chance I will get to those things while I am away. The food one is no problem.

Sorry to hear you weren't feeling well. Glad to hear you are feeling better, and hope you continue to feel 'more' better soon! Thanks for letting us know (and I'd recommend going ahead and entering zeroes rather than leaving them blank into the spreadsheet so we remember - you can always change it later until the spreadsheet closes), and now we can plan appropriately.
  • b3achy
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »
    @b3achy - Yes, it can be confusing and some challenges can be difficult, but it very difficult for the race leaders to make everyone happy each week. I will say that from my experience in the last race, they want this to be fun and motivating and at the same time challenging.

Don't overthink it, for the food challenge, the goal is to be eating healthier foods, which in most cases are fruits, vegetables, grains and legumes. The color chart kind of forces us to not just eat apples and corn for 5 days and call it good, but instead to maybe try new foods or get us out of our normal behavior/comfort zone and try something else. I think I also saw Dark Chocolate and Wine on one of the lists as well, but I don't feel those are in the "spirit" of the challenge.

On the physical challenges, if the alternative options also are an issue, then send @hawkins410 a PM and offer up another doable exercise/workout. They want everyone to succeed in this, but we still need to work for it.

No worries, Rus...just needed to vent a bit. I know it's got to be super tough to put these things together.

I can suck up the physical stuff...I'll do the best I can, and that is all I can do...the videos were the worst physically for me due to a rotator cuff issue. Half of my gym workouts are arms, so I'm sure she would have probably taken that in lieu of the videos, but since I was already through them once, I wasn't going to bother hawkins about it, I'll just suck it up and do the first one again instead of the second one.

And what you saw with the wine, dark chocolate, yogurt and cheese being on a list she later promoted is what caused me to be a bit more frustrated after she said it was supposed to be only fruits, veggies and grains/legumes in response to my question. I think sometimes a little more explanation of the purpose of the challenge in the original write up rather than complete cutesy is more helpful. If the point is to get us to eat more fruits and vegetables, highlight that aspect rather than just saying 'colorful food'. My orange cheeses, yellow eggs, brown/pink meats and red wine are quite colorful (and mostly healthy) and food. Since I lean towards trying to get more proteins in my eating program for my health, proteins are as important to me (if not more) than just more carbs with fruits and vegetables. Fine, it's supposed to be a multi-color fruits and veggies focused challenge, so that's what I'll do. Again, no biggie, but a bit of consistency from the leaders up front and not providing conflicting information later is more useful than leaving it in our hands to make the call which is just going to make it harder on MissionEnforcer to verify it on the back end.

@MzManiak - I totally agree it is confusing and the binning isn't very consistent between the various lists (which is why I have had so many questions). FWIW, I'm going with Yellow for my banana vs white since I need a yellow ;) I suspect it's our own best guess at this point and poor MissionEnforcer is going to have to verify the variety of personal calls.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Even though I agree the food lists are a bit confusing, I'm not concerned that MissionEnforcer is going to go over everyone's food list with a fine tooth comb. I'm sure it's just a verification that you listed foods in the spirit of the challenge rather than making sure your orange is orange or yellow-orange and listed in the proper category (whatever that is). If you eat a balanced diet, I'm sure you can find foods every day to fit the various colors.

Re: the exercise, I've done a lot of fitness challenges and I have no worries about modifying an exercise to fit my physical abilities. Never been kicked out or missed points because of it and I usually don't check with the leaders before doing the modification. Just my 2 cents!

So far for this week:
    Challenge 1 - jump rope 15/30 (modified)
    Challenge 2 - arm exercise videos 3/3 - complete
    Challenge 3 - 2/5 with lots of colors

Minutes/miles:
    Monday - 110
    Tuesday - 45
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    Got in my colours again yesterday! For school snack we had a tray of cantelop, honeydew and watermelon :smile: At lunch I also had tomatoes and lettuce in my wrap.

I was too tired to do too much exercise last night. I went to bed at 9:30, so didn't get in as many minutes as I had hoped! But got up early for a run today and feeling better about it :smiley:
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Week 4: Let's Race Down Unda

Challenge 1: Jump rope or Hopscotch 30 minutes
    A minute of jumping rope is really long! I was so winded I only did 5. I hate that I'm so out of shape. :disappointed: 25 minutes left

Challenge 2: Total Arm Workout, Quick Burn Arms, repeat favorite

Challenge 3: 2 colors per day x 5 days- 5 different colors
    Day 1: Brown (Pinto Beans), Green (Cilantro), White (White Corn Tortillas), Yellow (Lemonade)
    Day 2: Brown (Pinto Beans), Green (Cilantro), White (White Corn Tortillas), Yellow (Lemonade) ...leftovers :wink:
    Day 3 so far: Brown (Pinto Beans), Green (Cilantro, Peppers), White (Grilled onion, raw onion, garlic), Yellow (pineapple), Red (tomatoes)
    Total colors used: 5

Minutes:
    Monday - 45 minutes
    Tuesday - 60 minutes
  • KatKat1209
    KatKat1209 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »
    Great job everyone! Keep it up... We need to stay unified as a team in this endeavor, so I think we should leave politics out of the conversation. Kat, I appreciate your insight on the view from outside the US, but our country is so divided right now and I've already seen hurtful things said on FB that I don't think it will help if we begin that discussion on here.

Rus, yes I think you're right... I'm sorry for posing that question.. I'm simply a very curious person and didn't think it would be a bad question - I simply love to hear others opinions that might give me a new point of view or helps me understand! So Teammates - please don't be offended by my question or my blunt opinion. Sorry!
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Wednesday: 376 minutes

Rainbow foods: green spinach, green peppers, red/purple onion, black olives, red apple

• b3achy
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Got it for you @My_Butt! We were already at 100%, so yippie we're in Australia! But your extra time already gave us an addition 10% = 10 points! Well done!! (And you're currently on top of the power rankings for this week and 9th for the race). Fabulous!!

Busy week...sorry my numbers are so low, but working on knocking out the challenges. Should finish up jump rope tomorrow, and be able to log the food one on Friday.

Week 4 Status:
    Challenge 1 - Jump Rope or Hop scotch - 30 minutes total (20 of 30)
    Challenge 2 - Arm Videos x 3 - DONE!
    Challenge 3 - Eat multicolors - Fruit, Veggies, Grains (ROY G BIV + White + Brown: 5 Days - 2 colors per day/5 colors overall) - 3 days done
    -- Monday: Red - Mini-Gala Apple; Orange - Sweet Potatoes, Carrots; Green - Green Pepper, Celery, Green Grapes; White - Potatoes, Garlic, Onions. [4 colors]
    -- Tuesday: Orange - Clementine Orange, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots; Yellow - Banana; Green - Celery, Green Pepper; White - Potatoes, Garlic, Onions [4 colors]
    -- Wednesday: Orange - Clementine Orange, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots; Yellow - Banana; Green - Celery, Green Pepper; White - Potatoes, Garlic, Onions; Purple - Blackberries [5 colors]
    "Mileage":
    7 November - 75 min Strength Training = 75 minutes
    8 November - 57 min Walking to Vote (2.75 miles); 20 min Arm Videos for Challenge; 5 min Jump Rope; 7 min Radio Taiso = 89 minutes
    9 November - 15 min Jump Rope; 12 min Arm Video for Challenge; 45 min Gazelle (3.01 miles); 6 min Planks = 78 minutes
  • geminiswede
    geminiswede Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    So far, Monday: Green (Spinach, Cucumber, Avocado), Orange (Carrot), Brown (Whole grain sandwich thin), Purple (Raisin)

This should be pretty easy for me as I'm pretty sure I generally hit a ton of colors. :)

Tuesday: Green (Spinach, Cucumber, Lettuce), Red (Tomato, Strawberry, Apple? unless it's white)

Wednesday: Green (Spinach, jalapeño), Yellow (Sweet corn), Red (Tomato)
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Mrscanmore wrote: »
    I've been eating all of my colourful food, but the last two nights I've also found a stash of Halloween chocolate bars. So, my goal for tonight is to leave them alone! And only eat the healthy colourful stuff! Last night I made oven baked sweet potato fries and regular fries (white and orange). I have also been having some homemade sweet potato muffins made with whole grain flour (brown).

I did some more skipping this morning. I'm only at 9 minutes, but plan to do more today! I'm currently up to 216 consecutive skips as my record :wink:

Wow! I'm good if I can get 50-60 in a row, although my record is 92. I think my rhythm gets off track when I start feeling fatigued.

I'm going to be out of pocket until Sat morning, but will try to get some exercise in tomorrow.

Reminder for everyone... if you know you aren't going to be able to complete any of the challenges because of sickness/injury/life, etc. please enter in Zero's in the spreadsheet so the rest of us know not to bug you about it at the end of the week. Thank you @CaptainBoing for doing so.

We're falling behind a bit, but I know some haven't had time to get minutes and challenges entered, but please try and enter them before the weekend.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Challenge 1: Jump rope or Hopscotch 30 minutes
    25 minutes left

Challenge 2: Total Arm Workout, Quick Burn Arms, repeat favorite

Challenge 3: 2 colors per day x 5 days- 5 different colors
    Day 1: Brown (Pinto Beans), Green (Cilantro), White (White Corn Tortillas), Yellow (Lemonade)
    Day 2: Brown (Pinto Beans), Green (Cilantro), White (White Corn Tortillas), Yellow (Lemonade) ...leftovers :wink:
    Day 3: Brown (Pinto Beans), Green (Cilantro, Peppers, Asparagus, Broccoli), White (Grilled Onion, Raw Onion, Garlic), Yellow (Pineapple), Red (Tomatoes)
    Day 4 so far: Black (Black Beans), Yellow (Corn), Green (Spinach, Lettuce, Lime), Purple (Lettuce), Red (Peppers), Orange (Carrots)
    Total colors used: 8 (Brown, Green, White, Yellow, Black, Purple, Red, Orange)

Minutes:
    Monday - 45 minutes
    Tuesday - 60 minutes
    Wednesday - 30 minutes
  • b3achy
    Options
    You folks are amazing with the jump rope!! I'm essentially the poster child for the second video (of what NOT to do). But, I'm done with the challenge FINALLY! :smiley:

Great paddle today...super long, but pretty gentle - smooth-ish waters, low winds. Saw 1 dolphin, 3 sharks (1 bonnet head, 2 black tip), 15 blue crabs (usually only see 1 or 2, so today was pretty special), a few rays, lots of fish, pelicans, herons, sea gulls, an osprey, and some other birds that I don't know what they are called. Almost could imagine I was paddling the GBR in Australia...a fabulous paddle day!! :)

Tomorrow will be a light day for me, traveling to race location and having fun at the pre-race shrimp boil (yum!), but hoping to get to the gym in the morning (we'll see if I can do it). Saturday is only a 3 mile race, so low minutes, unless we stay out in the waves and I try some SUP surfing. Sunday will be a little bit of paddling to a Thanksgiving lunch on a sandbar in the area (about a mile), but my friend and I may paddle the long way back (about 2.6 miles RT). Should be a great weekend! :sunglasses:
  • MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options
    WEEK FOUR: LET'S RACE DOWN UNDER!

CHALLENGE #1: JUMPING ROPE (10 points)
    Due to my bulging disks, I'm using a modification from the video - knee lifts w/arms at 90°, using one pound weights.
    30/30 minutes - completed Thurs., 11/10

CHALLENGE #2: ARMS (10 points)
    TOTAL ARM EXERCISE (11:55 minutes) WITH WEIGHTS
    Completed T, 11/8/16
    AMAZING ARMS QUICK BURN WORKOUT (7:51 minutes): WITHOUT WEIGHTS
    Completed M, 11/7/16
    TOTAL ARM EXERCISE (11:55 minutes) WITH WEIGHTS
    Completed Thurs., 11/10/16

CHALLENGE #3: “The Beauty of Color!” (5 points)
    EAT TWO DIFFERENT COLORS PER DAY FOR FIVE DAYS.
    YOU MUST USE AT LEAST FIVE COLORS (RED, ORANGE, YELLOW-ORANGE, GREEN, GREEN-WHITE, WHITE-GREEN, BLUE, RED-PURPLE, BROWN)!
    M: white-green, onion & Romaine Lettuce & pickle + yellow-orange, an orange + red, tomato + brown, wheat sub roll
    T: green?, Granny Smith Apple + green & red-purple, Butter & Red Leaf Lettuce + red, grape tomatoes + orange, carrots + red? white?, radishes + orange, cheddar cheese + brown, Oatmega bar
    W: green & red-purple, Butter & Red Leaf Lettuce + red, tomatoes + orange, carrots + red? white?, radishes + orange, red? brown?, kidney beans + brown, quinoa + green, spinach & zucchini + brown, walnuts & peanuts
    R: brown?, oatmeal + purple, raisins + red? & green? apple + red, tomato sauce & tomatoes + green & red & orange, garden veggie salad
    F:

Minutes/Miles
    7 Nov. 228 minutes
    8 Nov. 86 minutes (40 minutes Yoga + 25 minutes 30 Day Abs + Legs + Glutes Challenge + 10 minutes jumping rope w/modification (total 20/30 minutes) + 11 minute TOTAL ARM EXERCISE)
    9 Nov. Complete Rest/Binge Day
    10 Nov. 210 minutes (130 minutes walking +10 minutes jumping rope w/modification (total 30/30 minutes) + 28 minutes day 9, 30 Day Abs + Legs + Glutes Challenge + 11 minute TOTAL ARM EXERCISE + 20 minutes day 10, 30 Day Abs + Legs + Glutes Challenge + 90 second plank + 10 minutes SworkIt stretching)
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I love jumping rope. I have nice high ceilings, so I just put on some kpop and start hopping in my living room.

Doing it on carpeting has its downfall. It'll catch and snap up and whip me.

However, my record for cross crossing the arms without messing up is 9. I really want to get to 10.
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    I managed to finish the arm challenge yesterday before I left, so I won't be missing all those points.

My food so far is:

Monday: strawberries (red) and sweet potato (orange)
    Tuesday: cucumber (green), tomato (yellow)
    Wednesday: sweet potato (orange) and spinach (green)
    Thursday: avocado (green) and tomato (red)

Colours used: green, red, orange, yellow,

Going to make sure I grab some blueberries today. Made this post so I can copy and paste when I make my official post as the weekend is going to be busy!