Daily Chat Thread

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Aigre - Thanks. :smiley: It's kind of fun with the push press. I'm more used to doing strict over head press or military press, but having the little oomph from getting to use the legs a little does help give a boost. Was interesting using the belt for an upper body lift too.

Bonus Day - I joined 24 Hour Fitness. Was my first gym that I joined just over 2 years ago but switched just under a year ago because it was too much of a drive after work. Now I'm back. There is one right across the street from where I work and one not that far from home. Next to get things settled with the Anytime Fitness as my contract is supposed to be up in January. 24 hour has more equipment and options. I'm looking forward to all of the stuff I get to use again.
  • DawnEmbers
    Went to Anytime Fitness to see about ending my membership there. My year contract ends January so I'd have to pay this month anyways. So, I'll have two gyms for a short time. I give up my little key fob thing by January 13th there. Since I drove out there, I spent 45 minutes on the treadmill with 30 of it being jogging.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Dawn - exciting about joining a new gym! Great that the commute to it will be so much shorter too!

Today I did SC, Weeks 9-12, Workout A #2
    Hip thrust w 3 sec pause - 3x17@83 lbs
    One arm row - 3x8@30 lbs
    Back squat to box with pause - 3x10@53 lbs
    Pushup - 3x1 off floor, 3x6 off bench
    Deadlift - 3x10@83 lbs
    Side lying abduction - 1x30 each side
    Swiss ball crunch w dumbbell - 1x30@8lbs
    Side crunches - 1x15 each side

Last week and this week have been crazy. Last week because my mom was in the hospital (she is fine and home now) and this week because we are preparing for our yearly interview days. 2 days of interviewing 20 candidates each day. I'm hanging on to my ETP plan, but sleep and recovery are definitely suffering. Can't wait for Christmas break.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Dawn, I can't even imagine getting 90lbs over my head, well, maybe.
    Aigre glad mom is ok. What are you interviewing for? How's ETP going for you.

Speaking of gyms...I live in a very densely populated area considering it's the suburbs. There is no shortage of gyms in the area. In fact, there is a Planet treadmill, I mean Fitness, across the street from my LA Fitness. When I was working out during Prime Time, I counted no less than three people wearing PF t-shirts, and one was a PF staff member. I guess he doesn't feel he can get his "I'm a trainer" look without free weights. Wonder what the story is with the others. I love my LA. I love it more when it's empty ;)

It's the week after my period, so I have crazy amounts of energy. I cleaned the house like a crazy woman on Sunday including 10 loads of laundry and sweeping cobwebs etc. Last night I hit the gym, came home, cleaned som more and just got a bunch of stuff done. I have to take the opportunities when they come because the week before my period, I'm useless.

Started Strong Stage 5 last night. Feeling the "New routine DOMS" today.
    Slide Mtn. Climber: 40 and 45. (That was pretty tough. I couldn't do a full minute.)
    SL RDL 2x12@25dbs
    Push-ups 2x12
    Cable BOR 2x12@23
    Front Squat 2x12@65
    I really thought that my Front Squat would have increased by now. Apparently not.
  • AigreDoux
    Samntha - I run a training program. We get 500 applications for 40 interview slots for 3 positions every year. So tomorrow and Friday are the interviews. It's hectic, and the days are very long. Yeay for getting stuff done around the house!

I have also had trouble progressing on front squats! So funny about people wearing planet fitness tshirts at the other gym! Of course, my gym is never crowded because it's in my home!

ETP is going well in terms of eating. Weight is holding stable, which I guess is the point, but I am finding it fairly easy to follow the plan at this point. Haven't decided yet whether or not I'll ask to drop a little after New Years. I'd like to get under 130.

Unscheduled rest day today. I haven't been sleeping well for about a week, only 1 day above 6.5 hours. LISS and recovery are suffering. Was going to run this morning, but it was 35 degrees and raining. Could have used the treadmill, but know I have long days coming up this week, so chose the extra hour of sleep. And considering I haven't skipped a workout in over 2 months, I think it's ok.
  • DawnEmbers
    edited December 2016
    Aigre - Yeah, it's nice to just walk over from work and lift when I want, though a little odd having my lifting belt with me at work since sister is using my car so need whatever I'm going to use with me. Sleep is nice. It's good to get a little catch up on occasion.

Sam - Thanks. I was hoping for 100 but didn't lift much in November so that didn't work out but hopefully will get there some day.

Deadlifts!

Thought I'd check out the gym after 11 pm since that's when I get off work from an evening shift. Still had to wait but that's because there are only 2 squat racks in the massive gym. One is a regular one with moveable safeties and the other has the built in safety that isn't moveable. It's a little too tall for me to squat unless I moved away from it but it's not caged so easy to just back up. Not one for max testing but easier to use for deadlift as there is the padding right in front of it.

front squat - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 75 and 3x8 @ 85
    deadlift - 1x8 @ 135, 1x6 @ 165 and with belt 4x6 @ 185
    calf raises (cause i haven't done them in many months) - 3x10 @ 70

Not bad. Easy to get to with just walking across the street and down the block a little from work. Not busy busy late but I probably won't want to go and use the racks if I'm in a hurry. Waiting may be common. Need to try out the location near home soon and see what it is like.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,922 Member
    Look at all the lifting going on in here!

BOOM!

Love it!
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    So....it seems I have 10 pages to catch up on! eek.....

I'm still lifting, still working at it, but internet issues prevent me from doing much more than nipping on at work to log my food, hence being MIA from the forums.

I've been doing ok - I've got down to 146lbs, having finally seeming to have sussed the whole food thing. That's 11kg gone since this time last year. 2 jeans sizes difference, and a whole bunch of people now commenting on my figure, which is nice.

I'm fairly happy at this weight - I've still got some tightening up to do, but now that I'm getting the hang of IIFYM I'm hoping to still be pleased with my progress by the summer when I have a couple of weddings and a 2 week sunshine holiday to be looking forward to.

I'm also training for a marathon - not until beginning of October, so time is on my side, but I can now comfortably run 7 miles, so for this stage of the proceedings, I'm more than happy. The weight loss and the strong glutes and hammies are obviously helping with this, so there is NO chance of me stepping away from the weights.

Hope everyone is ok - I'll now go back 10 pages and see if I can gradually catch up, although with access still limited, it may take me a while.

Seasonal greetings one and all (just in case I don't make it back this side of Christmas....!!)
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Found combat whilst on my hols - happy days.

May lift tomorrow.
  • DawnEmbers
    Jo - Yay for combat. Maybe I should try bodycombat some time. New gym has different classes available.

Kimi - Good to see you.

Checked out the gym location closer to the apartment. This one has three squat rack spots and they aren't hex plates. Only trouble was no 2.5 plates, which made it difficult with the numbers I was supposed to lift but that was okay. Being lower weights, increasing by 5 wasn't difficult.

Squat - 2x10 @ 45, 1x10 @ 95, 1x8 @ 135 and with belt 4x5 @ 155
    Overload - 225 @ 20 count
    Pause squat - 2x5 count of 8 @ 110

Then went to small park and jogged for about 35 minutes.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Hello ladies,
    Glad the weekend is over. I'm exhausted but in a good way. Got all of my baking done, five hours worth, on Saturday. Then today be brought home and set up the tree, in addition to doing a bunch of laundry and cleaning.
    Happy lifting ladies.
  • jo_marnes
    Good effort on the baking Sam. My sister and I have been baking also, while I have left the boys at home to sort out decorating - eeek!

Felt the need to squat yesterday - nailed the form! So pleased. If only I could do that every squat day :D

Bench today then out for dinner. Going to an Ethiopian restaurant..... looking forward to something new.

• DawnEmbers
    Sam - yay for baking!

Jo - ooo Ethiopian. Have fun.

Today I ended up with the car (long story, rough morning) and went to the gym after work since I already had my stuff and a parking spot. Did upper body, which I need to not slack on this time around. Nice to have the benches but the downside of the non-rack bench is the inability to adjust so it's a little rough un-racking. Struggled on the left side today.

band pull apart - 3x10
    bench press - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 70 and 4x6 @ 80
    pause bench - 2x5 @ 65
    one arm db row - 3x10 @ 35
    db shoulder press - 1x8 @ 22.5, 2x7 @ 22.5 and 1x5 @ 22.5
    face pull - 3x10 @ 55

The equipment is okay but it can be hard to find the plates needed at this location. In particular the 10's and the 5's. Will be doing plate hunting on a regular basis.
  • kimiuzzell
    I feel rubbish - had one of my back teeth removed following a long history of abcesses, on Thursday afternoon, and have stitches in for the next week or so. I've got ulcers, I've got headaches, and I haven't been anywhere near to the gym for what seems like ever (only a few days in reality!).

I've brought my running kit into work and am aiming to go for a steady jog at 5.30 before I send myself into a negative spiral of toothache/painkiller driven meh-ness!

I've got lots of things to look forward to in 2017 - lots that I want to look and feel fab for.....I am therefore going to start planning my next course of action as part of trying to avoid said spiral of despair!

bah....!
  • AigreDoux
    Kimi - great to see you back! Toothache pain is the worst. I hope it gets better soon!

Dawn - Nice workout! Jealous of that bench.

Jo - Ethiopian sounds tasty!

Sam - yeay for holiday baking!

Anyway, I know it's been a few days since I checked in. Thursday and Friday were crazy at work. And I just haven't been sleeping well. I did do Strong Curves on Thursday and ran on Friday so at least I got those in.

Saturday I did Strong Curves, weeks 9-12, workout C #2
    Hip thrusts w 3 second pause - 3x15@103 lbs
    One arm row - 1x8@35 lbs, 2x10@30 lbs
    Back squat - 3x10@70 lbs
    Bench press - 3x10@53 lbs
    Reverse hyper - 3x15@BW
    Hanging knee raise - 1x10
    Cable chop - 1x12 each side

Yesterday I ran 6.1 miles in just a little under an hour. Yeay for breaking the 10 min/mile barrier! And it was 7 degrees out.

Eating has been a bit of a struggle the past week. Being busy at work and the yucky weather means my steps have dropped. We had catered lunch so those were hard to log. Yesterday was a low day so I was really good and had spaghetti squash for dinner. Only to wake up hungry at 2 am and ate a bunch of crackers and cheese. So I logged it as breakfast this morning and hope to get back on the bandwagon, though it will throw off my macros for the day. I'll try to get my steps in today though I don't know how. It's 35 degrees and raining. Ugh.
  • kimiuzzell
    Well done on the sub 10 mins running AigreDoux!
  • AigreDoux
    kimiuzzell wrote: »
    Well done on the sub 10 mins running AigreDoux!

Thanks, Kimi! You know, I used to run years ago when I was younger and lighter and was always around 11 min/mile. I think it's all the strength training (particularly the glute/ham work) that has made me faster this time!
  • kimiuzzell
    ~Yes, I am with you right there - my last marathon was at consistent 11 min miles (5 years ago) and was the fastest I had run for that distance - I could do shorter runs quite a bit faster, but never anything over about 6 miles without losing the pace. Since re-starting my running this year, I've been feeling much stronger and I am sure it is the strength training that is helping. Problem is, now I want to run my next marathon at 10 min miles throughout.....not that I am putting pressure on myself or anything.......haha!!

On another note - think I have found my next programme to follow - from Tom Venuto's book, Burn the fat, feed the muscle - the 28 day workout for intermediates looks good to me. A 4 day split, so I am going to give my glutes a kick and make myself start it tomorrow......watch this space.
  • jo_marnes
    Aigre that's a decent run (congrats) - it's not surprising you were hungry if it was a 'low' day.

Lifted yesterday - shoulder not 100% so was a bit meh. Still, got it done.

Well, my sister still hasn't had a baby and I'm flying back home today - boo!
  • kimiuzzell
    So.....I did a run after work last night - 4.5 miles including some hill work. It was tough because I am not used to hills but I am very glad I did it.

Then got to the gym this morning, AT LAST!

Round 1. Day 1/28 Upper body Strength:

Barbell rows - 4x4 @40kgs
    Assisted Chin ups - 3x8 @-33kgs
    Bench Press - 4x4 @40kgs
    Incline dumbell press - 3x8 @10kgs (x2)
    OHP - 3x6 @ 25kg
    Dumbell lateral raise - 3x8 @6kg (x2)
    Skullcrushers - 3x8 @ 10kg
    Barbell curls - 3x8 @20kgs

My stitches in my mouth pulled a LOT - you don't realise how much you grimace when lifting until you have stitches in such places!!!!! Hopefully they will dissolve before the weekend.