Exercise and Weight Loss Challenges

Options

Replies

• dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Hi Pam,

Thanks for the article link. I love my walking. It is hard in the winter to find a substitute that I like.

Problems with bungalow living. No stairs. But I did manage the 3 sets of stairs to the train when I was in Toronto with no real problem. I have to admit I was walking them slowly. The take away for me is to increase my fitness. Thanks!
  • gmabethof3
    gmabethof3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    11/4-187.0
    11/11-186.8
    11/18-did not weigh
    11/25-189.8
    12/2-190.0
    12/11-191.2
    12/16-190.4

Moving in right direction, but not getting excited till I see a bigger loss.

Hope everyone had a great week, and are getting ready for the holidays.

Need to make this short, need to pick up granddaughter's from school.

Everyone have a good week, and I will see you all again next Friday if not before. Beth

• maryschwartzroby
    maryschwartzroby Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm trying really hard to get back on track.I PROMISE.I weighed in Monday at 218.When I started in on this journey I weighed 239.I had gotten down to 150's.The only bright point is ,I didn't gain all my weight back.So here I go again.

Mon.Dec.12th -218.0
    Fri.Dec.16th-214.5
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Hi Mary! Good to hear from you! Keep up the good work and it will come off again. 3.5lb a week is pretty fast though. Better slow and steady they say.

But that may be a justification of my slow, slow, slow loss. I finally after months and months and months of working at the same lbs got to input a new weight this morning. I wasn't logging the ups so I couldn't log the downs for a long, long time. How silly. Next time there is a gain, it is being logged!

This week for me:

Nov 4: 164
    Nov 11: 164
    Nov 18: 163 (-1)
    Nov 25: 163.5 (+.5)
    Dec 2: 163.5 (no change)
    Dec 11: 163 (-.5)
    Dec 16: 162 (-1)

Home field advantage helps alot.

In my researching around this week, I discovered two interesting websites. Since I always did eat alot of veggies and I have to restrict so much in terms of gluten and lactose, I am still struggling with the instructions to restrict all fats. It doesn't leave all that much to eat without eating truly silly amounts of veggies, and I already eat so much that eyebrows are often raised, I am so outside the "norm". So I keep researching.

Anyway, here are two new ones that I have found.

http://www.nutrition-coalition.org/

and one from the US government

https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015-scientific-report/11-chapter-6/d6-2.asp

They both make interesting reading for geeks.
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Dec 16: 133.8
    Got my second annual invite to complete the National Weight Control Registry. I just need to find about an hour (their estimate) to complete it.

The last two weekends have featured an afternoon of kimchi making with friends. Those who couldn't make the first one, came to the second. Some just come to watch, but we've make up to 4 batches at a time. Four batches started as 23 lbs. of napa cabbage. Cooking Light had an interesting recipe to puree 2/3 C. greek yogurt and 1/2 C. kimchi to make a veggie and chip dip. Double the probiotics.

DH found that kimchi was perfect on top of my Turkey Barley Lemon soup.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Thanks for tip Pam @mapdancer on the kimchi and yogurt recipe. I have bought a jar of kimchi to try and my family likes spice. I have one with an allergy to shellfish so, not for her but maybe for others. I want to make my own kimchi (tried saurkraut once but too salty - the recipe did not specific how much). I have yet to find Korean red pepper in rural Ontario. I suspect just red pepper will not do. Dakon radish I can find.

Sounds like you had a good time with friends.

Good going on holding the line on weight too. It is hard with the season.
  • MapDancer
    Options
    Marney you are welcome to come to Maryland anytime and we will have a kimchi making party just for you!

Otherwise I recommend The Kimchi Cookbook by Lauryn Chun (amazon). The Mak Kimchi (Everyday kimchi) is what we make most often. After the cabbage and salt sits for 1-2 hours you rinse it well, before adding the seasoning paste. You are correct that Korean red pepper is not the same as the red pepper flakes that people often sprinkle on their pizza etc. Korean red pepper is more warm, not hot and spicy. We tend to add a little less of the shrimp and anchovy sauce. You can eat it right away, but it will continue to change so that after a couple months the kimchi is tangy and sparkles on your tongue. Yum!!

I have never bought it, but friends that do say that they prefer making it now they know how.
    When you make your own you can leave out the little shrimp - I don't think anyone would care! There are even side notes on making vegetarian version in the cookbook.

I use Assi brand red pepper flakes. You would want the coarse flake, not fine. I just checked on amazon. Here is what I use. A batch would use 1/2 Cup for 4-6 lbs of cabbage. Would it be different on amazon in Canada?
    https://smile.amazon.com/assi-Pepper-Powder-Kimchi-Pound/dp/B008I38N5A/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1481947181&sr=8-1&keywords=assi+korean+red+pepper
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Thanks Pam. I will check on Amazon here. Never thought of it for food stuffs. I order books from it. Will have to branch out!
  • maryschwartzroby
    Options
    Got my exercise in this morning.I put my exercise tape in and worked up a sweat for 50 mins.I enjoyed reading the article on walking.My goal for today is getting my water in.I've neglected that for a long time.I hope everyone has a good day.
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    1/06/16:193.9
    11/13/16:194.2
    11/20/16:195.5
    11/27/16: did not weigh
    12/03/16: 195.9
    12/10/16: did not weigh
    12/17/16: 194.9
    So great to be here. I turned in my keys to my old landlord yesterday and now the unpacking begins. Should have a functional home by year's end. I'm excited because my neighborhood has a nice lake to walk around and a rec center in walking distance. No more excuses! My goal is to get back to my starting weigh (or better) by the end of this challenge. Hope everyone is having a good holiday season!
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Glad to have you back, Gayle!

looking forward to hearing about your new spot! With the level of snow outside, a lake with a walking trail sounds like heaven.
  • gmabethof3
    Options
    1/06/16:193.9
    11/13/16:194.2
    11/20/16:195.5
    11/27/16: did not weigh
    12/03/16: 195.9
    12/10/16: did not weigh
    12/17/16: 194.9
    So great to be here. I turned in my keys to my old landlord yesterday and now the unpacking begins. Should have a functional home by year's end. I'm excited because my neighborhood has a nice lake to walk around and a rec center in walking distance. No more excuses! My goal is to get back to my starting weigh (or better) by the end of this challenge. Hope everyone is having a good holiday season!

Gayle,. Congrats on your new place. Your new neighborhood sounds really nice, with that lake to walk near. Hope you enjoy it.

Is everyone ready for Christmas? One more week!

Everyone seems to have had a really good week, let's keep it up ladies, and start our new year off with right! ...
  • maryschwartzroby
    Options
    Good morning ladies.Got my exercise in but still having problems with water.Can't seem to get the required amount consumed.The next couple of weeks will be challenging ,between the family get together and sharing meals with friends.I just have to keep my eye on the prize,a weight loss.Are you ladies with me???
    Have a great day!!
  • dasher602014
    Options
    We sure are, Mary! My water consumption is really about tea consumption these days! Keep the prize in mind.
  • maryschwartzroby
    Options
    Today I went to lunch at a friends house.There were several of us ladies and we had such a good time.Sharon always decorates her house for Christmas and it's beautiful.She's such a gracious hostess.This is her 4th.year of hosting us and she provides all the food.Needless to say everything was delicious.I wish I had more will power.I did come home and exercised for a half hour.I'm so hoping for a loss Friday.I hope all you ladies are doing well.
  • maryschwartzroby
    Options

Mon.Dec.12th -218.0
    Fri.Dec.16th-214.5
    Fri.Dec.23rd-213.5

1 lb loss,I'll take it!! It's going to be a BIG challenge this week,all the junk food that I'm going to be around this week.Right now my mind set is looking forward to the challenge,i pray I keep my mind there.
    I hope everyone has a good weigh in.I think I need to lose .5 to meet the new challenge.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Good stuff, Mary. .5 lbs, you will make, I have no doubt!

I unfortunately did some baking yesterday that did not turn out. I really do not like the taste of sweetener and cookies show it off a great deal, so despite effort and tastings they hit the garbage. Gluten free flour waste not counting butter waste. Sigh. However, my weight took it on board big time! I suspect it will leave quickly too but for now:
    Nov 4: 164
    Nov 11: 164
    Nov 18: 163 (-1)
    Nov 25: 163.5 (+.5)
    Dec 2: 163.5 (no change)
    Dec 11: 163 (-.5)
    Dec 16: 162 (-1)
    Dec 23: 164 (+2)

All that struggle and I am back where I started. I know it is just the extra stuff yesterday holding water, but it is frustrating, none the less. I am not going to add it to my weight record on mfp until it hangs around for 2 days. That is my new rule. I have to see the number solidly for 2 days before it is "real", up or down. How is that for denial?

I am off today to buy some goodies for the normal eaters. My Diabetic is taken care of by my baking and if I can find gluten free shortbreads, I will buy some for me. Not that I need them but I cannot have Christmas pudding and Peter is going to substitute ice cream, which I can do because it is homemade but really high fat so I shouldn't. I am going to have a very, very little and one cookie for dessert. Otherwise, everyone else will get on at me to have something. Oh, the sacrifices we make to keep everyone happy!

If I don't get a chance to be online again, have a really great Holiday Seasons you guys, and for those of you who celebrate Christmas, Merry Christmas! Enjoy!
  • MapDancer
    Options
    135.0 this morning

I just finished my annual National Weight Control Registry Survey. First question was how much did I weigh this time last year. Since I write my weight most days in my organizer I just took a look - it was 132. Do I panic that I'm 3 lbs heavier? No (well, maybe just a little) because I am still a healthy BMI and that's my real goal.

During such a treat-laden time it's important to keep up the exercise. Good for you Mary! coming home from a luncheon and putting in a half hour.

Baking down a pumpkin for pie tonight - a request from my older son. Maybe a pumpkin seed crunch topping? I'll google that...

• gmabethof3
    Options
    11/4-187.0
    11/11-186.8
    11/18-did not weigh
    11/25-189.8
    12/2-190.0
    12/11-191.2
    12/16-190.4
    12/24-191.4

Another gain, but less than I thought it would be. I'm sure that this is going to be a hard week for most of us, food everywhere.... I am trying to avoid it, but it is hard to do so. Two more weeks of this challenge, hopefully I will do better next. Need to get back on track.. Beth

• gmabethof3
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Everyone have a great Holiday week, and a Happy and safe New Year!