Daily Chat Thread

Replies

• AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    5.1 mile run this morning. Sidewalks were still snow covered, so it was tough going, especially uphill as my feet kept slipping. So I cut it a little short from what I had planned (6.5-7miles) still some good miles on my legs.

Ready for a rest day tomorrow.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Looks everybody is getting their lifting in. I sadly did not. I had a "flare" this week, often happens when I'm ovulating, and I did zero exercise from Wednesday on. I got in a little TRX and walking today. Basically on those I'm falling asleep in the car on the way home from work, then I fall on my face in bed at 5:00. I get up about two hours later to make the family some food and use every ounce of energy I have to sit on the sofa for two hours.

This too shall pass, and I'll get it in this week. Bummer too is I ballooned with bloat, but today I'm back to normal.

Happy lifting ladies.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Not sure I can get my 4 lifting days in this week, but can certainly do 3.

Monday is the hardest day so I'm glad that's done with!! Heavy lower

Squats: 3 x 6 @ 60kg
    Deadlifts: 2 x 6 @ 70kg
    Split squats: 3 x 6 each side @ 20kg barbell
    Stiff legged DLs: 3 x 6 @ 20kg barbell

Was sooo sweaty (especially after the DLs), and showered and still sweaty getting back to work. Ugh.

Nevermind - onwards!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Sister had to be somewhere this morning before my early morning shift, so I decided to go early and use the gym by work. Got in a good little weight lifting session in the hour time I had, though I definitely prefer working out after instead of before my shift. Not that many people there but still some, including guy with one of those masks to affect oxygen levels (or something along those lines).

front squat - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 65 and 3x8 @ 80
    good morning - 3x10 @ 80
    bench press - 2x10 @ 45, 3x8 @ 65
    tricep pushdown - 4x10 @ 55
    cable bicep curl - 4x8 @ 55
    lat pulldown - 3x8 @ 75

Bench was light-ish and not hard for the most part but I stuck to that weight as my left hand was not happy. Even with 45, it ached on the back of it, not the palm. It was weird and I'm not sure what is going on there. Didn't bother me at work but I didn't do overhead pressing of boxes or anything. Got things done. Also, found out a different person to call about the pharmacy tech class so hope to make progress on that front soon.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Super excited this morning at the gym when I was doing my dumbbell shoulder presses......I could see a vein popping!!

Once upon a time I would have thought that ugly on a woman....today as I squeezed those last reps out I thought it was beautiful!!

In other exercise news, I ran 7.5 miles on Saturday without any adverse reaction from my knee. This is the furthest I have gone since surgery, so I am more than happy, and feel nicely on track for the marathon in October. Steady, steady, steady!
  • StephieWillcox
    Kimi - yes! That's awesome :) I thought I saw some baby traps today and got excited!

Dawn - good lifting, I used to love training in the mornings, but I'm kind of used to lunchtimes now, don't think I could switch it up

My lunchtime meeting was cancelled today so I may reach 4 days this week!

Today was heavy upper

Bench Press: 3 x 6 @ 35kg
    Single arm DB row: 3 x 6 each side @ 12.5kg
    OHP: 1 x 6 @ 25kg (Actually felt pretty badass doing those)
    Lat pulldown (underhand grip): 1 x 6 @ 40kg (turns out I was only supposed to do one set of these last time I did the workout, oops)
    Lateral raises: 3 x 8 @ 5kg DB's
    Bicep curls: 3 x 8 @ 5kg DB's

Missing my old gym a bit, I miss talking to people during rests! Maybe I will get to know some of these guys but some of them seem like right d*cks. Poor form all over the place (accompanied by loud grunting).... oooh I might be able to contribute to that "so there was this guy at the gym" thread on the stronglifts for women group!!
  • AigreDoux
    Stephie - nice workouts! And love your leggings!

Kimi - haha on vein popping! and yeay for 7.5 miles!

Dawn - great front squats!

Sam - hope you are feeling better!

Bench day today:
    Incline BP - 1x5@33 lbs, 2x5@55 lbs, 3x3@60 lbs
    Decline BP - 5x6@33 lbs
    Narrow grip DB BP - 5x6@15 lbs dbs
    DB chest fly - 4x8@12 lbs dbs
    Overhead tricep extension - 4x12@10 lbs

Then outside for a 2 mile run in the freezing cold. Sidewalks are still snow covered so it was tough going. It was 1 degrees Fahrenheit outside, which is -17 for all you Celsius people. Brrr.
  • kimiuzzell
    -17!!!!! Be careful out there, Aigre, in the snow.

Stephie - hurrah for cancelled meetings, when it means you get another gym session in!!

I met with a potential (probable) new trainer today - recommended to me, but doesn't work out of the gym I go to. We got on well - first thing she said was "great arms" haha!! Funny, I still see my arms as a problem point, but obviously there is enough definition going on there for other people to be impressed!

Anyway, we agreed that I am in a good place at the moment, both in terms of nutrition and training programme, so we are going to do some online coaching, with accountability, and the option of casual 1:1 training sessions as and when things need switching up. She will also tweak my macros as I move more towards the long distance runs as marathon time approaches, and make sure I am not sacrificing too much of my running effort for the strength work and vice versa.

all in all, I came away quite positive - cost effective and local, and seems to be on the same wavelength as me, which is not a feeling I have gotten from trainer meetings/conversations before.

Time will tell, of course!

I've been persuaded by the girls at the gym who go at the same time as me in the mornings (they do classes, I do weights) to try Grit tomorrow - described as "bodypump on speed".....I have registered my place, so have to do it. It is some time since I did bodypump, as I realised I was developing bad habits, and since discovering "proper" lifting, bodypump seemed a poor relation, but having been talked into it, I shall give it a go! I'll report back....
  • StephieWillcox
    edited January 2017
    MINUS 17!!!!! WHAT THE HOLY HELL IS GOING ON OVER THERE?!

I have never ever felt a temperature anywhere near that!!!!

ETA: My leggings are awesome and I have even more awesome-r leggings coming soon :)
  • samntha14
    kimiuzzell wrote: »
    -17!!!!! Be careful out there, Aigre, in the snow.

Stephie - hurrah for cancelled meetings, when it means you get another gym session in!!

I met with a potential (probable) new trainer today - recommended to me, but doesn't work out of the gym I go to. We got on well - first thing she said was "great arms" haha!! Funny, I still see my arms as a problem point, but obviously there is enough definition going on there for other people to be impressed!

Anyway, we agreed that I am in a good place at the moment, both in terms of nutrition and training programme, so we are going to do some online coaching, with accountability, and the option of casual 1:1 training sessions as and when things need switching up. She will also tweak my macros as I move more towards the long distance runs as marathon time approaches, and make sure I am not sacrificing too much of my running effort for the strength work and vice versa.

all in all, I came away quite positive - cost effective and local, and seems to be on the same wavelength as me, which is not a feeling I have gotten from trainer meetings/conversations before.

Time will tell, of course!

I've been persuaded by the girls at the gym who go at the same time as me in the mornings (they do classes, I do weights) to try Grit tomorrow - described as "bodypump on speed".....I have registered my place, so have to do it. It is some time since I did bodypump, as I realised I was developing bad habits, and since discovering "proper" lifting, bodypump seemed a poor relation, but having been talked into it, I shall give it a go! I'll report back....

This new trainer sounds awesome, and very similar to what I'm doing. I actually hate working out with people. I prefer to just do my own thing at my own pace, so someone emailing me a workout would be awesome!

speaking of frigid training... My husband is currently in the Yellowstone area doing one of his winter ultra endurance races. Last year he did this race and the Iditarod in Alaska. Yeah, he's nuts. The first night out on the course, temps hit -40F!!. Needless to say, the greater majority of people did not have equipment that could sustain those conditions, even those accustomed to racing ITI. The race leaders DNFd after 10-12 and at the 80/200 mark. Only one competitor, ONE out of 43, finished the course and he's a mountaineer from the region with equipment for the likes of Everest. INSANE!!! He said it was so cold his joints started to freeze solid. Day two of the race duped two feet of snow on the course. I don't know how Arron, the only finisher, survived.

Saturday, we got about 4 inches of snow here. I took the kids out sledding on Sunday. It was 19F with a wind chill below 10F. I only kept them out for about 1/2hr. before I called uncle. Then yesterday, wind chill had us at -5F (and hubby was close to 33F, go figure). Interesting tid bit of information. Today, Toms River, NJ was the coldest town in ALL of the United States except for Arctic Alaska. That should not happen. NJ should not be colder than Anchorage and Fargo, it's just wrong.

Yesterday I got to the gym as my energy was back up. Hard to tell if my weights were bad or not. I completed all sets and reps, but the weight was lower than my previous WO with 12 reps for these 10 rep sets. I guess it should be though. Can't max out every WO.

Strong S5 B4: 3x10
    roll outs; reverse lunge 25s; Inverted Rows 72 degrees; KB Swing 25; SA PP 25
  • kimiuzzell
    Those ultra runners sound NUTS - I love snow, but only if I can ski on it!

So, I did the GRIT class before work - only half an hour so ideal really. Didn't really know what to expect, but quite enjoyed it - definitely a cardio workout rather than a strength workout, although I can obvs put more weight on the bar. I had to chuckle though because I was told that my squats were too deep! All that time aiming for ATG, and for this class I've got to go back to 3/4 squats with 10kgs on the bar!

Well, I figure if I use it as cardio, in the same way as I use the occasional spin or combat class, it is a nice addition to have to my options.

Back to my "normal" workout, though, tomorrow morning - legs....It will be interesting to see if today's high rep class means that tomorrow's leg day is tougher.
  • AigreDoux
    Kimi - always nice to have options, especially if it is fun and social! Glad that you found a trainer that you like!

Samntha - glad your husband is safe! I can do down to about 0 degrees F, but beyond that I get wimpy. Can't imagine -40!

Stephie - surprisingly not that bad. Was really only a little cold the first mile but warmed up. I layer up though. Tomorrow is supposed to rain for my longer run though. Don't know how well I will tolerate that!

Squat day today.
    Squats -1x5@33lbs, 1x5@53 lbs, 1x5@80 lbs, 1x5@85 lbs, 3x3@90 lbs
    Romanian deadlifts - 4x8@83 lbs
    RFESS - 4x8@BW
    Farmer walks - 4@35 lbs dbs
    Reverse lunges - 4x8@33 lbs
    Reverse hyper - 4x30@BW
    Valslide push aways - 4x10
    Reverse crunches - 5x10
  • kimiuzzell
    My planned trip to the gym this morning was curtailed by the fact that hubby's got car troubles, so needed to use my car today.....so I did a quick HIIT session at home instead. Not ideal, but better than nowt!

Hoping the car will be fixed by the weekend so I can get back to my usual routine! I didn't feel any real "effects" from yesterday's GRIT class - in some ways that is good because hopefully it means that when I do it, it won't have too much of a negative impact on my subsequent lifting sessions.....but in other ways I am disappointed that I don't have DOMS to prove I have worked!!!
  • AigreDoux
    Kimi - haha, definitely good to not feel DOMS! Good to get work in that you can recover from easily. Sorry about your husband's car, car troubles are so annoying.

Could not force myself out of bed for a 4.5 mile run in the pouring rain at 4:30 this morning, especially since I didn't get home until 10 pm last night due to work meetings. I did manage 2 miles of intervals on the treadmill though. Better than nothing. Legs are still a bit fatigued from squats yesterday, so want them to heal up anyway to do deadlifts tomorrow, so maybe it was for the best anyway.
  • AigreDoux
    Happy Friday, everyone!

Deadlift day today. Not sure what it was, but went so much easier than last week! Maybe more recovered due to not running as much on Thursday. Will have to consider that for the future. Or maybe just mental.
    Deadlifts -
    1x5@103, 1x5@115, 1x5@120, 3x3@130. 130 felt almost easy today, and I couldn't even get it off the ground last week. Spent some time looking at the Stronglifts website and decided to narrow my stance. Either that or recovery certainly helped.
    Inverted row - 5x8
    Chin ups - 10x3 with assist band. These also felt really strong today. Making progress!
    Meadow rows - 5x12 with bar only
    Cable low rows - 4x12 with resistance band
    Bent over DB row - 4x12@20
    15 min incline treadmill walk

But the most exciting thing is that my little niece is scheduled to be born today! I think I'm more excited than I was for my own kids! Can't wait to get my baby snuggles later on :)

Have a great weekend, all!
  • kimiuzzell
    Well done on the deadlifts, and the chin up progress! Enjoy those baby snuggles later!

Rest day for me today. I've fallen into the habit of Saturday being my cardio day (ie my long run day) but the weather has turned icy here, and I am nervous about my knee, so I've scheduled a couple of classes in at the gym instead. My once a year go at Zumba is on the list.....I may do more damage wiggling my hips out of time to latino music than I would do on the ice, but hey ho!

Talking of the ice - I got off the bus early today to walk in, despite the snow, but my way of walking must have been very different due to the conditions, because my fitbit registered "21 mins elliptical" rather than the usual "walk"!!! I have no idea what I must have looked like as I slipped along the pavements to work!!!

Have a good weekend everyone!
  • samntha14
    Great progress @AigreDoux !

I had to pick my husband up from the airport Wednesday at 11:30pm, so I got 5 hours of sleep. I was a miserable wench all day, then I came home from work Thursday and took a 2 hour nap. I would have stayed asleep but the children needed to eat.

Friday was an awesome day!
    Dragged my butt out of bed, was late to work, BUT I came home with some energy. Got in my workout with decent weights AND I did my intervals. I'm retaining a little water today because DAMN I worked hard.
  • samntha14
    Got in a lot of volume today.
    S5B5: Back Lunge 3x12@25s, Inverted Row 3x12@Waist, KB Swing 3x12@30, SAPP 3x12@25 Good increase.
    Then I did some intervals with the battle ropes, and Then I did a one mile walk with the dog and I'm doing housework. I make for my low energy days with my high energy days.
  • AigreDoux
    Nice workout, Sam!

Kimi - good idea to be careful on the ice!

Yesterday did half of my OHP workout
    OHP - 1x5@33, 1x5@40, 1x5@45, 3x3@45
    Lateral DB raise - 4x10@8 lbs dbs
    Scrape the rack press - 4x8@35 lbs
    Reverse curl - EZ bar
    Got interrupted cause of trying to fit in my daughter's school play and visiting my new niece in the hospital.

Today I ran 7 miles this morning.

Really ought to go finish that workout from yesterday, and clean the kitchen while the kids are napping. But sitting here at the computer instead :p
  • samntha14
    Sometimes you just need some downtime. Nice run though. I go a mile and feel like a did a damn marathon.