NSV's

Options

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @retirehappy - worth investing in some tailoring, methinks...or making a sewing dummy (t-shirt on you, form fitting duct tape wrapped to create solid mold of your body) to fit all your shirts yourself...
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    On Sat., I bought a new pair of jeans. I figured I would have more and more difficulty finding jeans in my size as I lose the rest of my weight. I'm short, so there has always been a challenge. I can fit 30" long jeans, which are a bit long, but not so bad that I'm walking on them. For my entire adult life, I've had trouble finding pants because I'm so short. Apparently, most short men must be very heavy because I often find 30" long with 40"-50" waist sizes... even at my heaviest, I was never that big around. So it was always difficult, but it is starting to get close to impossible.

While I was at Target on Sat., I noticed there were some pair on the shelf size 30x30. I know my 32's (waist) are too big, and I figure I'll end somewhere around 28 by the time I'm done losing. Tried on the 30x30 and the waist and length are both right. I bought them despite that there is still one area that is really tight - legs.

It used to be that I couldn't find jeans because I wasn't fat enough. Now, even when I find jeans that fit for waist and length, my leg muscles are so big that the legs are tight. I just hope these stretch so they are more comfortable. I'm going to call this an NSV despite that it is creating more trouble for me.

Welcome to the world I have always lived in, pants too long because I am short, and I have big b**bs, so shirts that fit elsewhere gape open across my chest, I have narrow shoulders and my rib cage area is smallish. If I buy something that fits the b**bs, I look like I am drowning in all that extra material.

At least as you continue to lose weight the legs will fit better. Besides, tight jean legs are stylish with the hipster set these days. You have a wonderful problem to deal with now.

I have been blessed that my wife has this, uh, problem. :D
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,753 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @retirehappy - worth investing in some tailoring, methinks...or making a sewing dummy (t-shirt on you, form fitting duct tape wrapped to create solid mold of your body) to fit all your shirts yourself...

@knitOrMiss,Yea, to get a well fitting blouse, tailoring is needed.

@cstehansen, My husband feels the exact same way.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    @Genmon00 I only own one dress because of this issue. I did just get rid of all my XL shirts, I'm back in my Ls. Only if a M is extremely over sized can I wear one of those.

If I do buy a classic blouse, which now that I am retired I don't think I will be needing, I would have some tailoring done. For now I will just buy Ls, too.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem with jeans, I'm a 3, but with a 35" inseam...wallflower brand of womens jeans, you can buy them by inseam length like guys jeans which is amazing...kohls sells them and so does amazon - love getting jeans in a specific size and length
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem with jeans, I'm a 3, but with a 35" inseam...wallflower brand of womens jeans, you can buy them by inseam length like guys jeans which is amazing...kohls sells them and so does amazon - love getting jeans in a specific size and length

Yep, my problem exactly.... same inseam (although preferring 36" for a bit more length while in my heels... thank you Wrangler) and when at my happy weight 2 or 4. Right now in my fat sz 6's - I've been eating too many carbs and not paying attention. 14 pairs of assorted jeans are just waiting for me to fit back into them... right now I only have 2 jeans and one pair of cords fitting :/ back on the wagon now though.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    I bought a dress that wasn't in season because it fit beautifully and I assumed in a few weeks weather would be perfect for it. Well a few weeks turned into almost a month before I wore it and it's a little on the lose side now. It's a beautiful dress so I'm planning to tailor it down even though it wasn't expensive, I'm not willing to give it up yet!

Great problem to have. I hear you on not willing to give it up, my dress I found at a cosignment shop ages ago. At the time I fit into it. I'm happy I can wear it again. Luckily I don't go many places where separates are not welcomed.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Have passed a landmark. My chest is now bigger than my stomach.

One of the markers for reduced risk of heart disease (better than cholesterol) is for a man's waist to be no more than 90% of the size of his hips. For a woman, I believe it is 85%.

Of course, getting waist smaller than chest is the first step. Great job!
  • kimber603
    kimber603 Posts: 5 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I love this board. Very inspiring!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    My hubby is starting to get that 'old man skinny-butt syndrome' lol. He will be turning 60 this year and still works carrying, and climbing up and down 30 ft ladders and hauling heavy buckets while window cleaning (his legs are to die for - I'm a 'leg gal' :D ). I think the lower carb WOE I have finally convinced him to try may take down the mini-belly and give him a trimmer look. We'll see in a few weeks. I may have to help him pack his lunches as he is clueless without a sandwich. At least I've got him off the 4 servings of cereal for breakfast (that's his NSV ;) )