Keto/LC 4 Week Challenge April 23rd - May 20th

Replies

• kroderick
    kroderick Posts: 46 Member
    @fanncy0626 ~ I agree that weighing myself daily keeps me accountable. It also tells me where I am at for the prior day. I was really worried about yesterday since I did not eat what I had planned and did not eat a lot of calories either. I still dropped 2lbs. So I will take it. Today is another busy day for me at school, I will be there for 12 hours.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,106 Member
    Day 6/28 time is flying by! We are almost one week into this WOE! It seems everybody is having some type of success! Just being here is a sign of success! You are successfully taking charge of your Eating and life! Remember we will all have bumps in the road! Don't let them derail you! Thank you so much for supporting each other and commenting on each other's posts! It is nice win a thread evolves and becomes a community!

Suggestion for the day, have a fantastic one! If it started out badly, turn it around and make it fantastic!

I'm excited when I got on the scale and I dropped another 0.8 pounds. Not the big losses that everyone else is achieving but, it shows that tightening up my macros made the scale move downward!

Mary
  • bolsen777
    bolsen777 Posts: 5 Member
    I'm down 3 lbs. this week, which after being stalled for several weeks feel great. I'm realizing that I have a ton to learn. I'm going to spend the weekend trying to nail down what my macros should be and then trying to figure out how to get there. I've been tracking everything that I eat this week, so I have a better idea of my carbs. I was shocked to find out that I was using most of my carbs at lunch. I've been having grilled chicken and veggies. Broccoli and cauliflower have more carbs than I realized and my favorite, Brussels sprouts are even worse. I don't think I've been able to stay under 30 carbs any day this week. I'm also low on my overall calories. I had two days where I didn't even hit 1000, which mfp said was bad. I'm realizing that I've jumped into something that I don't know enough about and realize I need to figure it out before I end up hurting my body instead of becoming healthier.
  • fanncy0626
    @bolsen777 researching this WOE is a great idea! I'm still doing that! Being part of a community where there are people that have and are doing the same thing gives you personal insight into how this works with real people that are your actual friends.

I still eat broccoli!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited April 2017
    Remember, too, all, that human nature is not exactly the same day to day. Given that fact, it is utterly impossible for you to have the exact same caloric needs every day. So remember that deficits are just a target zone daily. The true deficits should be looked at on a 7-10 day average. So if you are over 100 cals one day, under 50 another day, under 20 one day, under 30 one day, you're still on average. So if you are naturally ravenous one day, hardly hungry at all another day, that is 100% normal. Just keep an eye on things like boredom, stress, binge, and exhaustion hungers...

One way I personally can use to tell the difference is that if I want something, and I know it isn't really what my body needs fuel-wise, I mentally offer to swap out something else. If my brain agrees to my alternative suggestion, it's likely true hunger. If my brain balks, and passes up other healthy options, it's more likely a craving that can be ignored. Just one of the tools I use.

To top all that off, calories and nutritional labels are allowed errors by law/portion size manipulation/nasty other tools, and if you haven't had specific metabolic testing, you don't know your true caloric needs - calculators estimate at best. So, my personal theory is that if you're eating over your calculations but still losing weight - there's a kink in the works. Calories are another tool, and they are based on human errors - so don't let calories rule your life. Use them as a guideline. But just like the scale lies to us, so too do calories sometimes.

All of our tools should be used at some times, and carefully stored away at others. Be sure to work on your mental side too - the self speak, your acceptance of yourself and your body AT ALL STAGES, your forgiveness if you don't meet plans, your stress management, your self care, all of it. Again, for me, this journey to better health is FAR MORE about getting my mental side right. The physical side comes down to math (complicated by health conditions and such, so maybe more algebra/calculus than basic math, BUT STILL MATH)...but until our heads are properly in this game, the body will never follow and stay fit/healthy...

Just some motivation for this Friday.

Remember that we don't have to be perfect. Perfection is not maintainable. Progress is it's own perfection. <3
  • fanncy0626
    @KnitOrMiss , Carly, thanks for the information!
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited April 2017
    Carly

Thanks! I will be 63 this summer and I have had a food problem since I was about 2.

Although I am not currently seeing him, about 5 years ago I had an amazing doctor (endocrinologist) who had quit the successful practice he had founded to focus on nonsurgical bariatrics. He was/is extremely knowledgeable and personable, and he "walks the walk". I am insulin resistant but no other medical issues, fortunately. My former endocrinologist loves teaching, so I learned a lot while seeing him, and after about 9 months of hard work and very strict adherance to a 1000 kcal low carb food plan, I was a normal BMI for the first time in about a million years and I felt that clarity that you mentioned. Plenty of energy to exercise and work. I tried to transition back into eating more carbs, and went crazy and gained all the weight back - more than 80 lbs - which completely disheartened me because I had done so well. I am getting back to what works for me again, finally. My kcal goal is 1200-1300kcal per day. For this challenge I am still seeing what carb level I will land at - the last 2 days I have surprised myself by coming in at less than 30g net carbs. Five years ago I did quite well on maintenance for about a year and a half having worked up to about 50-60g net carbs per day (then went off the rails when I tried to go higher than that at the same time I was experimenting with not logging meticulously - which proved to be an epic mistake - duh.)

I am glad you are here as a moderator and can serve as a resource and source of support.

Karen from Virginia

@KetoneKaren - I forgot that part! Karen, I'm 40 years old. 5'4". Currently in the 270's. Healing things like thyroid and adrenal systems takes a long time before we can lose weight! At my heaviest weight, in a dreadfully unhappy marriage, I got up over 319 pounds. That's the highest number in my medical charts, but I know it was worse. My lowest in the last decade was 239, when I was in my keto stride before my thyroid stalled out on me (there were contributing circumstances and such - but that's a really LONG story)... Gotta get that solid and then I can get back to the business of losing weight.

Much like you, I did really well for a while, then tried to go back to eating more things I knew I really didn't need, etc. Gained back, with health complications. I've focused more on recipes that are "out of the box" from the old me... I'm not a coffee drinker, and drinking lots of tea contributed to my developing ocular migraines. I periodically do a fatty hot beverage, but not as often. I'm far more readily sated by solid foods...

But I can tell you, I'm so much healthier this time around than the last time I was at this weight. I have pictures, and they look like 100 pounds of weight difference, due to reductions in inflammation, carb bloat, and all that sort of thing. If I can figure out how to resize them, I'll post here...

• mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Wow @KnitOrMiss ! You look so much healthier now! Those pics were about the same weight?!

• fanncy0626
    Carly you look fantastic!
  • azsundancer
    azsundancer Posts: 1,140 Member
    Happy Friday! I was out of town yesterday .. and a over indulgence of junk food, back at it today!
  • mjj79
    So, lots of potential for messing up over the next three days...
    1) I am an emotional eater and I have two family members in the hospital ...1 dying and 1 had a massive stroke and we don't know the prognosis yet.
    2) I'm attending a women's conference at my church...signed up for it weeks ago and they are going to have food . Lunch tomorrow is being provided by Chick Fil A.
  • fanncy0626
    @mjj79 you also have a lot of potential for success! You have the support and motivation of all your friends on here. Especially when you are going through such a tough time. So sorry to hear about the people that are in the hospital that are close to you. It is a very stressful situation. If you need help or support this weekend come on here and we will be here for you.

Hopefully there will be great choices for you at the church luncheon. I always seem to find a lot of meat, some veggies and of course ranch dressing!
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited April 2017
    mjj79 wrote: »
    Wow @KnitOrMiss ! You look so much healthier now! Those pics were about the same weight?!

Yes, those pictures are within 10-20 pounds of the same weight, almost a decade apart. I was eating all kinds of inflammatory foods, living off of sugar, getting heavier and heavier, binging regularly, and absolutely miserable. Even when I don't eat the best now, all I have to do is remember WHERE I STARTED to remember than even minor blips now are millions of miles better than THAT me.

I feel like I look younger now, too, ironically.

This pic is 2016 on the left, 2006 on the right... So a decade older... don't look it. It's CRAZY how much food and what we do to our bodies affects our appearance.

I'm a non-drinker (average maybe a few drinks every few years), have never smoked, and have never taken an illegal drugs. So this damage to my body/skin was ALL FROM FOOD AND WHAT I PUT ON/IN MY BODY. Scary, no?

And THANK YOU, ALL, for the kind comments. I have to make myself go back and look at these pictures when I lose sight of how far I've come just because I'm struggling NOW.
  • mjj79
    @KnitOrMiss you most definitely look younger now!!! Do you eat dairy? I know many find that inflammatory
  • KnitOrMiss
    So, lots of potential for messing up over the next three days...
    1) I am an emotional eater and I have two family members in the hospital ...1 dying and 1 had a massive stroke and we don't know the prognosis yet.
    2) I'm attending a women's conference at my church...signed up for it weeks ago and they are going to have food . Lunch tomorrow is being provided by Chick Fil A.

@mjj79 - I don't remember how long you've been doing keto, but if you're moderately adapted at this point, fasting can be a tool to avoid the emotional potholes of stress eating. Amino acid protocols (different for each person) really help, too. Above all, remember that minor blips are just that. EACH BITE IS ANOTHER CHANCE TO GET RIGHT BACK ON PLAN.

Also, CFA - even with breading, as long as you skip the bread, is a tolerable higher carb side acceptable meal. Skip the bread, any carby sides, grab extra salad/veggies/dressings, and just make the better choices where possible. Stashing some nuts/jerky/coconut oil packets (if you do BPC or can eat it plan)/nut butter packets in your purse for food emergencies help so much. In the community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group group many of us are also in (covers everything from zero carb to slow carb across the board/any kind of carb restriction), there are some great posts about traveling snacks/foods, things to eat/avoid at events (skip the scrambled eggs unless you know how they are made - many places add OF ALL THINGS - pancake batter to make them fluffier.) and all the tips to do this while ... not at home and in your own control...

BETTER choices where possible. Don't focus on BEST - no one can do that all the time. Progress is perfection. Just watch for food reactions and be prepared to file a notice of food limitations in the future.
  • KnitOrMiss
    @KnitOrMiss you most definitely look younger now!!! Do you eat dairy? I know many find that inflammatory

I'm working on cutting gluten completely, I avoid nearly all soy (mayo is still a stumbling block - I keep forgetting to MAKE it...lol, but emulsifiers in other things, too), and I've limited my dairy - but not cut it out. I've found that I seem to react most to softer dairy - heavy cream is currently the worst, but I need to get back to the brand without carrageenan again, and see if that's the main trigger there. I eat hard cheese, aged is my favorite. I make ranch dip from sour cream, but rarely eat cream cheese (never have been a fan).

I know for my long term health, I need to eliminate all of these things for 30-90 days to figure out my true trigger foods, but it's not financially feasible for me right now.

I don't want to list out the foods I cut for fear of triggering food issues for folks, but essentially, I cut sugars, grains, and junk food that I would eat by the bucketload at times. I would binge eat thousands of calories at a time, and still feel unsatisfied because of the way foods are engineered, because of my unknown insulin resistance, and because of the fact I was attempting to fill and emotional/spiritual need/hole with food - which never works. (HUGS)
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Okay, a hiccup, now back on plan. Three dance nights planned...that should help.
  • fanncy0626
    elize7 wrote: »
    Okay, a hiccup, now back on plan. Three dance nights planned...that should help.

Fantastic! Dancing is a fantastic workout!

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited April 2017
    bolsen777 wrote: »
    I'm down 3 lbs. this week, which after being stalled for several weeks feel great. I'm realizing that I have a ton to learn. I'm going to spend the weekend trying to nail down what my macros should be and then trying to figure out how to get there. I've been tracking everything that I eat this week, so I have a better idea of my carbs. I was shocked to find out that I was using most of my carbs at lunch. I've been having grilled chicken and veggies. Broccoli and cauliflower have more carbs than I realized and my favorite, Brussels sprouts are even worse. I don't think I've been able to stay under 30 carbs any day this week. I'm also low on my overall calories. I had two days where I didn't even hit 1000, which mfp said was bad. I'm realizing that I've jumped into something that I don't know enough about and realize I need to figure it out before I end up hurting my body instead of becoming healthier.

@bolsen777 Broccoli is about 4g net carbs per 100g, cauliflower about 3g net carbs per 100g, and brussels sprouts are about 5g net carbs per 100g. There may be a setting on your Goals page that will allow you to view carbs as net grams rather than total grams so you don't have to subtract out fiber yourself, but that option was not available the last time I checked. So if you had 100g each of broccoli and cauliflower for lunch, total carbs would be 11.6g minus 4.6g fiber for a net of 7g of carbs. Which is not too bad. Broccoli, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts are good for you, and you should keep eating them. When I am eating low carb but not trying to stay keto, I eat a pound (about 500g) of either raw or roasted veggies every day. If I was very careful with the rest of my food choices, I could still do that now and come in at 35-40g net carbs per day. <3

Carly wowza! Those picture differences remind me of an old high school buddy who retired and went about changing her life. She decided to follow AIP Paleo and she posted side-by-side photos a year apart and it looked like she had dropped 20 years and 50 pounds. The difference was jaw-dropping, as are your photos. Some of the threads on MFP are too aggravating for words, with people saying irresponsible things like you can eat a 100% Cheeto diet (or other foolishness) because it's all about CICO. Sheesh! I don't look at those threads anymore.

Karen in Virginia
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    kroderick wrote: »
    I am programmed still to see fat as bad. LOL.
    Isn't that the truth. After five years of being told fat bad!!!!! bad!!!! no fat!!!!! I struggle with changing my mindset. What helps is that the food is truly SO much better tasting with all the fat in it.
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    One way I personally can use to tell the difference is that if I want something, and I know it isn't really what my body needs fuel-wise, I mentally offer to swap out something else. If my brain agrees to my alternative suggestion, it's likely true hunger. If my brain balks, and passes up other healthy options, it's more likely a craving that can be ignored. Just one of the tools I use.
    What a simple test to use. It makes total sense. Thanks!

Getting ready to hit the swimming pool with grandkids. Won't get much swimming done but there will be plenty of splashing!

Marcelyn