Exercise and Weight Loss Challenges

Replies

• dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Hi Gayle and Mary,

I am in on the challenge, Gayle. I too am still struggling. I have gain 10 back of the 30 I lost so I need a reset too.

07/17 172 lbs

I am having problems with diet. I had to eliminate wheat, barley and rye so that is a change. I have been enjoying dairy more than I was but I found I cannot overdo it or I run into digestive problems. The doctor wants me to eat low fat and my DH has to eat low carb. It just in a mine field. I have tried to add more veggies to breakfast and lunch so I get my more carbs in. So I am working at it. But it ends up a chore. Food shouldn't be a chore.

Anyway, hopeful this reset will help.
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,678 Member
    Marney, it does sound like it is a challenge to feed yourself and your DH too. Bet you can both eat spiralized vegis instead of pasta. Can you get the bird's eye brand mashed potatoes and rice that are made from cauliflower? I still haven't tried those. Yes, seems like food should be fun, not a chore but it is a constant source of stress for me. One step and one day at a time.
  • dasher602014
    Yes, I have a new spiralizer and we do that when we really want noodles. We eat Thai rather than Italian. We also do the NuPasta stuff. Haven't looked for the frozen cauliflower rice or mashed potatoes. We do them from scratch when we want them. But I will keep watch. It might be cheaper and certainly easier.

I know what you mean about food being a source of stress. When left alone (no doctor office interference) I eat from scratch with a lot of veggies but I like my butter on my cooked veggies and I like my homemade dressing on my salads. I am not a lover of fish except for salmon and I do like my beef. So low fat diet just becomes fuel. I don't think my question should be what is the least objectionable item I can eat. I think food should be enjoyed. The less sugar and sweetener I eat the less I want and I never really did have a sweet tooth.

I have about 3 weeks before my next doctor's appointment so I have to drop the fat in my diet. I have been eating eggs for breakfast and despite what science says I can have only 3 eggs a week according to my diet sheet. We often have an egg in dinner so I cannot include them in breakfast more than 1 a week. Any ideas for breakfast? Cannot do bread, cannot do most cold cereals, cannot do eggs, and butter, I would like to save my little bit for my veggies in the evening. And I like oatmeal but how often in a summer heat wave? Yogurt with fruit becomes another standard but I end up eating too much yogurt for my tummy. Ideas?
  • gaylebodine
    You might like the overnight oatmeal that prepares itself in the fridge. Just old fashioned oats but you will have to do a Google search on overnight oatmeal to get the recipes. Cold!
  • gaylebodine
    7/14/17: 198
    7/23/17: 200
    So...this is not as bad as it seems. I had been weighing in later in the day (always a lower number) but need to weigh in more often by weighing in when I get up for work. So the 200 is a morning weight and starting from there this week.

• dasher602014
    Hi Gayle,

Glad you aren't disappointed. I thought I weigh less in the morning but maybe not given your experience. Hum, food for thought.

I did an interesting thing this week and it worked! I stayed off the scale each day. Very hard to do. I thought about it every day. But I decided to try. I found that the scale was ruling my mood and also my diet. So I just concentrated every day to eat well.

It worked 3 lbs down!

Previous 172
    Current 169

I also tried Pam's kimchee. Boy was it hot and I bought the mild but it does brighten up dull, in small doses.

I think I have figured out how I am going to solve my dietary difficulties. A new plan. I like a low carb diet, Peter has to have a low carb diet, we like to eat together at night, so low carb it is. I cannot eat gluten, so wheat, rye, and barley are out. I cannot overdo dairy all in one serving so back to no lactose products.

I did alot of research online and I discovered study after study (all small but from reliable sources) that a diet that is high fat but using monounsaturated fats gives better results than the low fat diet they are currently recommending.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1315812
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/70/6/1009.full

So I am going to give it a try. I had forgotten about overnight oatmeal. I have gluten free oats and a slow cooker recipe. I am going to get that out again.

Thanks

M
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    7/25 136.4
    I am looking forward to my first ever trip to Canada in August. It's my goal to get to the lower end of my range (133) so I can try some poutine! We will spend a couple days in Montreal, where I found folkdancing at Lax-aux-Castores and my DH found open group Irish music in a nearby pub. Then to Quebec City to the Chateau Frontenac where part of the Korean drama Goblin was filmed. Then to the Fiddle Festival in Sutton for another traditional dance and music.

Any restaurant suggestions or places to visit along the way?

Years ago my friend who teaches college (diet and nutrition) complained that USA doctors have maybe a half day of nutrition studies. Even recently a friend was told to eliminate fat in his diet to lower his cholesterol- so outdated. When my MIL and SIL did that 10 yrs ago their numbers went up. The many studies now that show full-fat dairy actually helps in weight loss and maintenance. When I did MFP tracking I was surprised to find that some days I needed to add some nuts by the end of the day to get my % of fat on track.

Fortunately, I don't have any issues that make food a minefield - though I can't tolerate MSG, won't touch artificial sugar, or veal, hate the smell of cilantro... well, I guess we all have our limitations!!

As to kimchi - I wish I could share my recent batch with all of you! Sixteen times (in three years) we've made it. I have an email list of friends and we've done up to 5 batches at a time. I've never bought it at a store. The first time I tasted it, was the batch we made from The Kimchi Cookbook. I have eaten it at our favorite restaurant. But I think I like mine the best. Hot is not necessary. I like to think it "sparkles" not with heat so much but a warm zing perhaps. The older it gets, it becomes more tangy.

When I saw the comment about Overnight Oats I thought it meant the cold version. I like this a lot - thanks for reminding me I'll make some tonight! Here is one of many sites: quakeroats.com/cooking-and-recipes/overnightoats
  • dasher602014
    Hi,

Glad to hear from you! Canada, eh? But Quebec. It is different and wonderful. Both languages surround you. Montreal. Smoked meats and bagels. The bagels are different and special. Ask about them. There is a special shop. Imported from Montreal into top notch Toronto restaurants. There are bagels and then there are Montreal bagels. A different animal entirely. Oh so good. Chewy and special. Smoked meat too. Renown. However, the most famous shop has closed down. There is another shop and almost as old a shop though. French speaking everywhere which is hard to understand because of the accent. Big city rush.

Quebec City. Walkable. Wonderful. French speaking but so accommodating. We had really good recommendations from our small hotel in the lower city for food. We ate mostly in lower town. Not far from the Chateau. Nothing is. Hard to miss for a good dinner because the rents are so high that you have to be good to stay in business. Poutine is overrated and you won't find it in good restaurant; viewed as chicken McNuggets rather than Chicken Cordon Blu. We, Canadians, generally do not eat it; it is for the tourists but if you must, proper gravy and proper cheese curds and accept nothing else. It does taste good. Specialty cooked pork bellies or something equally unusual is more in keeping with the restaurant trade there. And even more regular fare, is far from regular in Quebec city restaurants, or so we found.

Staying at the Chateau, special. There was a restaurant right across the street which was good. We did walk outside the walls and enjoyed the oldest grocery store in North America. And the fashion is great there. Bring $$. Hard to resist. It is just different. They are so friendly in Quebec. Standing on those walls, makes you appreciate the courage of the English and the Americans who tried to attack. No wonder the Quebecers thought themselves safe. Just a wonderful city.

Montreal is bigger and more rushed. But old town is great and it does have a different vibe. Again, I would look online or ask at the hotel for restaurants. I have only seen it in winter. Now Toronto, I can help you with. That is my home town, although we moved out 7 years ago. But, I have lots of recommendations for sights to see, how to get around and where to eat.

You will find lots of Irish in Quebec. They landed from the Irish potato famine. They were Catholics and many of children who were orphaned because of diseases were adopted into French speaking Catholic families. The story goes that one boy asked the bishop if he could keep his surname and the bishop agreed. So you get names like Patrice O'Malley or Jean Brebeuf O'Rouke and they speaks nothing but French. However, Irish roots are deep there. If you get into the community dancing, be prepared for nothing but French speaking around you, dancing Irish but they are friendly and welcoming and most speak more English than they let on. Almost everyone there understands English even if they are not comfortable speaking it.

Yes, I am was to eliminate fat in my diet to satisfy my doctor's office. My numbers when down, except for triglycerides.: Not the way you want to go! But I am trying hard to eat mono unsaturated fat to see where I end up. Studies say it may be OK. (I went to friends tonight and has two small potatoes (we never have them), and lamb - so that blew it today - but tomorrow, I start again).

Glad to hear from you. Kimchi, I could learn to really love. I took some as an appetizer add on to the neighbours. It was good even store bought.

Good for you for maintaining your weight. And, yes, with Quebec and Montreal restaurants, I would take a bit off before you go. It is good cookin'.

Good to hear from you!

Marney
  • MapDancer
    7/28 135.8
    Thank you so much Marney for your insight and recommendations!

We'll be stopping near Albany to visit friends and then heading north, perhaps Toronto will be another destination sometime (and maybe the site for a kdrama too!). I think we're going to enjoy Canada. DH has often said he'd rather move north.

Fortunately dancing and music are both activities that don't have a language barrier. DH learned button box accordion by ear from old Irish musicians in Philadelphia. And after decades of folkdancing, you'll probably experienced this too, it goes in your eyes and straight to your feet.

But getting around and ordering food... well, I don't think my high school French will be much help - though I was happy to see I could read the French-only announcement about the folkdance by the lake. We will see if I got it right when I show up!

• gaylebodine
    7/29/17: 198.6

• dasher602014
    Hi Pam,

Music is universal and button box! Quebec loves button box (of course in only certain circles). Their folk dance music has a slight different rhythm being descendant from the French folk tunes rather than our familiar English ones. If you get a chance to see it; their step dancing is quite a different rhythm too. We have step dancing too but more like the American style. Except of course for the Ottawa valley.

Don't worry about speaking English. Obviously "Bonjour" "Ca Va?" "Merci" and "Combien?" are necessary. But most speak English well and if not, sign language works. Most Canadians find Montreal less friendly to non French speakers. Never assume they don't speak English. They may choose not to speak it, but they understand it. I remember years ago, a server said something very unflattering about my companion. I looked at him and said "Pardon?" (I did not speak much French, but it didn't take much to catch a few unflattering words.) He had the grace to blush. But, as in all large cities, it depends who you meet. I hear Montreal does better these days.

Quebec City was truly friendly and my visit was two years ago. My only problem there was trying to find out from a French speaking, Italian lady if the roll had cheese in it. (When I was lactose intolerant). But she worked with me and we laughed together at the end. She really had no English and I have little French for the situation.

I am not going to weigh in until Monday am and I will report back. This week has not been as good as last. Eating at friends and just not being in as much control.

Good going Gayle to get moving down into onelander.

Talk soon.
  • gaylebodine
    7/29/17: 198.
    8/05/17: 198

• maryschwartzroby
    maryschwartzroby Posts: 160 Member
    6-30-17 232.5
    8-7-17 234.5
  • gaylebodine
    8/11/17: 197.4

• dasher602014
    Good going Gayle for moving down again. Mary, tough week. Me too and I have not got on a scale. I am off to visit a cottage on an island in Georgian Bay. No electricity and obviously no internet. And you eat what is there because there is no store nearby.

I will get on a scale next week. I am trying to combine once a week weighing with watching what I eat everyday. I tend to get scale fixated when I weigh everyday or if not weighing every day, I get off plan and don't care. THere has to be a happier medium.

Talk soon.

Marney
  • gaylebodine
    8/11/17: 197.4
    8/21/17: 197.6

• MapDancer
    Maney - Canada is wonderful!
    First night in Montreal I went international folkdancing outdoors by Beaver Lake for 3 hrs. Mondays are beginner night, but we weren't going to be there on Thursday for the advanced group. Although it was all in French I knew most of the dances from our Delaware group - even the same recordings - and the rest I could figure out.
    The next night we went to a Board Game Meetup and played a game we were familiar with but the French edition and learned a new game with an English speaking group.

Quebec is amazing. Nothing is flat in the old section - so there was a lot of exercise in inclines and hundreds of stairs! Our goal was to visit sites that were in the Korean drama Goblin. That is why we splurged on staying at Chateau Frontenac. When I saw some Asian girls taking pictures of a red door (used as a portal in the show) I just had to ask Goblin? and they shrieked to find other fans. We also surprised a couple fans when we overheard them speaking Korean and ended up doing selfies.

I didn't think much about clothing, but I remembered your comment when I went into Galerie d'Art Les Trois Colombes Inc. Unique clothing made by local artisans. Ended up with a light coat and a wrap shawl. Justified it by saying I can finally get rid of some of my XL, but favorite, jackets.

Traditional dancing for 4 hrs at the Fiddle Festival in Sutton was again all in French but it was in squares or contra lines. It was new for everyone so not hard to follow.

Bottom line - I came home weighing the same as when I went. Constant walking made up for the indulgent eating. I won't describe the wonderful meals but we did have great poutine twice!

We can't wait to go back!
  • dasher602014
    I am so glad you had fun, Pam! And, when you dance, language isn't a problem.

Quebec city is just lovely particularly in the summer months. Winter is very different but awesome in its own way. They have so very much snow. The do truck it away from the old quarter but on the roofs, along the board walk etc. And the winter activities are different from anywhere else too. But they are cold! And a month behind Ontario in spring. It was used as Santa's village in the Tim Allen movie.

The Chateau is beautiful, inside and out. I hope the service was good too. They are all celebrating various birthdays of the cities and the country so a good year to come. I found it quite awe inspiring to think of all the English and then American soldiers being on that far bank of the river starring up at those cliffs and guns. Made me appreciate how difficult it was to conquer Quebec city.

I hope you enjoyed the dining. We did. Montreal has its own feel and it sounds as if you had fun there too. Glad you had a good trip. Come back again soon.

Ontario is full of lakes and of course Toronto. Lots of dancing here. Our east coast is just magic as far as old fishing villages and friendly people who dance and speak Gaelic. PEI is very special with it beaches, red cliffs and farmland and our west, well, a total different feel in our prairies. Line dancing out there. BC, as the license plates says, beautiful British Columbia, like Seattle and Washington state, but wilder.

Quebec city is a stairmaster, isn't it? And so much else within walking distance. The parks, the walls of the city, all of it.

Sounds like a really good time.

M
  • dasher602014
    And on another subject all together. I am at 170 again. I have to get it together when I get home tomorrow (visiting friends in Toronto now).

Good news. I am released from my quarterly doctor's visits for cholesterol so I will be going annually. Now all I have to worry about is losing weight. I can do that.

Good for you Gayle for holding the line this week. Next week, a better week for me I hope. Let's try for a lb each.

I hope to hear from Mary soon.

M
  • maryschwartzroby
    maryschwartzroby Posts: 160 Member

6-30-17 232.5
    8-7-17 234.5
    8-28-17 238.0

This is terrible!! I have just let myself go. Am I happy about it? NO .I'm struggling. I'm going to start again today. I need all the encouragement I can get. I need to get away from sweets and sodas again plus track my food. This is my day 1.