General Chat

Options

Replies

• prehistoricmoongoddess
    prehistoricmoongoddess Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I've lost 8lb in a couple of months but I'm not sure where it's gone from as my measurements are exactly the same. I'm hoping by the time I've lost 14lb that I will see some progress.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    I've lost 8lb in a couple of months but I'm not sure where it's gone from as my measurements are exactly the same. I'm hoping by the time I've lost 14lb that I will see some progress.

Have you taken any progress pictures? It's hard for us to see gradual changes in ourselves, my weight tends to come off my face and shoulders first, so I'd never pick that up on measurements but I can see it when I compare photos.
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Happy Tuesday folks...
    @Deviette @beerfoamy @4bugsmama @RandJ6280 @anmille8 @TheRedQueen1981

How did you all get on with your goals for last week?

I failed miserably at sticking to my new calorie goal but luckily was very active so still was in something like a 4000 calorie deficit over the week. I am doing a little better today but binged ridiculously last night - no apparent reason, think it was just boredom.

I did try out the pole dancing though and have booked and paid for another 2 classes. I wrote up my blog on my thoughts if anyone wants to take a peek

My goals for this week are:
    • to try again with the calorie goal - I've pre-logged the next couple of days and I should be too busy for boredom eating.
    • to review my weekly exercise plan to try and incorporate a do-able balance of Rowing, Pole-Dance, Weights, Running and Handstand training.

• beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday!!

Boredom eating is the worst!! I am going gym again tonight to sit on the bike and watch netflix rather than sit on the sofa with a bag of crisps. (I can go home after biking and sit on sofa with a small bag of crisps and a huge stir fry and win!)

I am feeling pretty good about my schedule at the moment. Seems to be working with smaller exercising portions which don't make me hungry and keeping busier in the evenings. Preplanning meals for the work week has helped enormously too.

Mon: lil swim, 1.5-3 mile walk after work -protein shake - curry - stir fry

Tues: run, weights, bike after work -protein shake - curry - stir fry

Weds: medium swim, 1.5-3 mile walk after work -protein shake - curry - eggs, bread, cheese

Thurs: run, weights, maybe bike after work, depends if sitting bone recovers -protein shake - curry - pasta bake

Fri: medium swim, 1.5-3 mile walk after work -protein shake - travel to Sheffield, so beer and snacks will abound

Sat: hoping for 3 hour swim - so any food I like :D

Sun: christmas meal with mum as she was in Oz for xmas. Will probably do a run/bike/weights beforehand.

At some point in there is also food prep for next week, teach mate how to cook, clean house haha all the fun.

@tinkerbellang83 - that is a hefty schedule of stuff to fit in! weights and handstand training may go hand in hand? ( ;)) sounds fun though! I never got round to my handstand training/attempts
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    @beerfoamy

Yeah it's a lot but need to start upping my routine ready for rowing races. Trying to incorporate more stuff for improving flexibility as I am pretty strong and far more flexible than I was but a long way off how flexible I would like to be.

So this week planning:

M: Rest Day/ Yoga
    T: Upper Body Weights (3 x 5)/1 Hour Rowing/Yoga
    W: Pole Class
    T: 1 Hour Rowing/5 Mins Handstand Training - core prep exercises/Yoga
    F: Lunchtime Run/Lower Body Workout (3 x 5)
    S: Rest Day (Away for Weekend)/ Yoga
    S: Rest Day /Yoga

Also doing wall push-ups and squats during bathroom breaks at work.

much the same next week as I am away to Gran Canaria the following weekend.

and then when I get back:

M: Lunchtime Run/Handstand Training/Yoga
    T: 1 Hour Rowing/ Handstand Training/Upper Body Workout
    W: Pole Class/Handstand Training
    T: 1 Hour Rowing/Handstand Training
    F: Lunchtime Run/Handstand Training/Lower Body Workout/Yoga
    S: Rest Day
    S: Handstand Training/ Race Training Row - Weather/Social Life Permitting

It's a good job my boyfriend rows/exercises too otherwise I'd never see him :lol:

• beerfoamy
    Options
    @tinkerbellang83 - HAHA yeah true - the walks in the evening are the catch up with gf lol

nicely planned :)

ooh Gran Canaria! very nice!
    I wanna go on holiday!! lol
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    @tinkerbellang83 - HAHA yeah true - the walks in the evening are the catch up with gf lol

nicely planned :)

ooh Gran Canaria! very nice!
    I wanna go on holiday!! lol

@beerfoamy

I was just discussing with my colleague I've a lot of travel to look forward to this year already: Feb I am of to the Czech Republic, possibly off to Denmark in March, Benicassim festival in July and Romania in August. I suppose I should come back to good old blighty at some point to see the folks too.
  • TheRedQueen1981
    TheRedQueen1981 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I’m doing okay but I am suffering from PMS and it’s making me very hungry. This happens to me every month without fail. It’s like I go a couple of weeks doing really well and then the early signs of PMS appear and it takes another couple of weeks of me trying to not give in to it lol...I find it very difficult to lose anything so always feel accomplished if I just maintain for these two weeks.

I forgot to add last week that one of my goals was to up my water intake as that’s a goal I’ve had since day 1 pretty much and I’ve failed miserably with it ever since but last week, I purchased a bottle that measures how much I’m drinking —it’s the most simple idea but it’s working for me. I’m so glad I got it. I already feel the benefit of all that extra water. It’s difficult getting used to drinking so much but also a wake up call as to how little I was drinking before.

All in all, despite my cravings, I’m still at a deficit and I’ve been going for 90 minute walks most days. I don’t always record my walks because I think my Apple Watch is much too generous with the calories burned calculation. Maybe not but I always think 800 calories is too much for a 90 minute walk.

I think my next goal is to do more strength training. I did some weights yesterday but not for long.
  • beerfoamy
    Options
    Feb I am of to the Czech Republic, possibly off to Denmark in March, Benicassim festival in July and Romania in August. I suppose I should come back to good old blighty at some point to see the folks too.
    Love Czech Republic and always wanted to go to Romania! :D amazing hols!

@TheRedQueen1981 - PMS is horrible. 2 days before and I just want all the food everywhere for around a week. Well done on keeping walking and fighting cravings!
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    I’m doing okay but I am suffering from PMS and it’s making me very hungry. This happens to me every month without fail. It’s like I go a couple of weeks doing really well and then the early signs of PMS appear and it takes another couple of weeks of me trying to not give in to it lol...I find it very difficult to lose anything so always feel accomplished if I just maintain for these two weeks.

I forgot to add last week that one of my goals was to up my water intake as that’s a goal I’ve had since day 1 pretty much and I’ve failed miserably with it ever since but last week, I purchased a bottle that measures how much I’m drinking —it’s the most simple idea but it’s working for me. I’m so glad I got it. I already feel the benefit of all that extra water. It’s difficult getting used to drinking so much but also a wake up call as to how little I was drinking before.

All in all, despite my cravings, I’m still at a deficit and I’ve been going for 90 minute walks most days. I don’t always record my walks because I think my Apple Watch is much too generous with the calories burned calculation. Maybe not but I always think 800 calories is too much for a 90 minute walk.

I think my next goal is to do more strength training. I did some weights yesterday but not for long.

@TheRedQueen1981 it's not a failure even if you gain around your period, it's rarely fat.

I tend to have at least 2-3 days at Maintenance around my period so I can add a few extra carbs to placate the cravings. I also try to exercise a lot during it, as it helps with the cramps and keeps me away from the fridge.

I normally work on the basis of around 150-200 cals per 30 mins walked depending on if I am walking at decent pace. So 800 cals does seem like it could be a little overestimated. Depends on your stats really though, I am around 230lbs at the moment, but fairly cardio fit because of the rowing, walking and hiking I do.
  • 4bugsmama
    4bugsmama Posts: 2,871 Member
    Options
    So far I'm doing okay on my goals. I did a tad bit of running outside this past week, not as much as I had wanted to, but there is always this week to get it done! My second goal was to switch up my menu, try new things that fit my macros. This I did pretty good at. I was very focused and on Sunday I did a lot of prepping, finding recipes I hadn't used before.

For the current week my goals will be to get more outside running done and to incorporate more strength exercises into my days.
  • TheRedQueen1981
    Options
    @TheRedQueen1981 it's not a failure even if you gain around your period, it's rarely fat.

I tend to have at least 2-3 days at Maintenance around my period so I can add a few extra carbs to placate the cravings. I also try to exercise a lot during it, as it helps with the cramps and keeps me away from the fridge.

I normally work on the basis of around 150-200 cals per 30 mins walked depending on if I am walking at decent pace. So 800 cals does seem like it could be a little overestimated. Depends on your stats really though, I am around 230lbs at the moment, but fairly cardio fit because of the rowing, walking and hiking I do.

I’m definitely a lot fitter after all the aerobics I’ve been doing. I cut them back a bit so should really get back on them — better fitness was as much a goal as weight loss so definitely a NSV. In July, when I first started aerobics — a 15 minute workout killed me but now, I barely feel it so am having to push myself harder. That’s a good feeling though as it shows I’m getting fitter.

I do sometimes allow myself more on the bad craving days and always make up for it afterwards by restricting more for a few days. It’s something I knew to expect before starting on this as it’s been a problem in the past. I have very little appetite for my normal days but then PMS kicks in and I turn into a ravenous bear, lol.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options

I’m definitely a lot fitter after all the aerobics I’ve been doing. I cut them back a bit so should really get back on them — better fitness was as much a goal as weight loss so definitely a NSV. In July, when I first started aerobics — a 15 minute workout killed me but now, I barely feel it so am having to push myself harder. That’s a good feeling though as it shows I’m getting fitter.

I do sometimes allow myself more on the bad craving days and always make up for it afterwards by restricting more for a few days. It’s something I knew to expect before starting on this as it’s been a problem in the past. I have very little appetite for my normal days but then PMS kicks in and I turn into a ravenous bear, lol.

I wouldn't necessarily bother with the restricting more afterwards, a couple of days at maintenance will have very little bearing in the long run and it can potentially put you on a bit of a binge and restrict cycle.
  • TheRedQueen1981
    Options
    True. Though I wouldn’t say I restrict in a drastic way but I get what you’re saying. I often stop myself from restricting too much on the days where I have no appetite because it’s not sustainable in the long term so no point in torturing myself. I’m quite proud of myself for being so sensible this time around actually haha. I think I have the right mentality now because I see the long term, not a few months down the line.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    True. Though I wouldn’t say I restrict in a drastic way but I get what you’re saying. I often stop myself from restricting too much on the days where I have no appetite because it’s not sustainable in the long term so no point in torturing myself. I’m quite proud of myself for being so sensible this time around actually haha. I think I have the right mentality now because I see the long term, not a few months down the line.

It helps massively doesn't it, when you put everything into a long term perspective.
  • TheRedQueen1981
    Options
    Definitely. On day one, I was imagining my life in one year from then—and then two years etc. I had accepted that I need to focus on the long term because I started at over 300lbs (but I thought I was less than that until I calculated it correctly) and it’s not going to have an overnight fix. I’m embarrassed even now admitting that I’d reached that size, especially as I’m only 5’3 but denial was always part of my problem. A bit like an alcoholic cannot help his/herself until they admit they’re an alcoholic
  • prehistoricmoongoddess
    prehistoricmoongoddess Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options

Have you taken any progress pictures? It's hard for us to see gradual changes in ourselves, my weight tends to come off my face and shoulders first, so I'd never pick that up on measurements but I can see it when I compare photos.

The only photos I've had recently are close up ones. My granddaughter is visiting tomorrow - I will ask her to take some photos of me and get her to do the same next time she comes. I'm sure she will be happy to do that.

Thanks for the suggestion
  • anmille8
    anmille8 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    anmille8 wrote: »
    This week:
    Stick to my calories and workout 4 times
    Try not to think about food so often

This month:
    Lose 5 lbs
    Try a new workout class
    Read More

This year:
    Lose 40 pounds
    Wear a size 8/10
    Get stronger
    Enjoy the Journey

I think I did well with my goal.
    For exercise I made it to the gym 5 times even walked to apartment gym when it was snowing since I didn't want to drive to the gym.
    I decided to increase my calories from 1200 to 1500 so I have more freedom. I was getting so frustrated eating so little and not losing weight that it wasn't worth it. I don't think I am as preoccupied with food I think my body is adjusting to the fewer calories. And with the extra calories I can have more snacks if I get hungry which I haven't really needed.
  • anmille8
    Options
    For this week I want to keep up with my fitness classes but add in more strength training.
    Yesterday I went to Zumba
    Wednesday-Insanity
    Thursday-p90x
    Friday-Bootcamp or rest
    Saturday-cardio lower body
    Sunday-cardio upper body

I also want to stick to my new calorie goal or lower 1200-1500 and hopefully hit a new low weigh in on the scale.
  • anmille8
    Options

The only photos I've had recently are close up ones. My granddaughter is visiting tomorrow - I will ask her to take some photos of me and get her to do the same next time she comes. I'm sure she will be happy to do that.

Thanks for the suggestion

I've been taking progress pics atleast if I don't see a difference I might two or three months from now.