WAISTAWAYS Team Chat - April 2020

Options

Replies

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,094 Member
    Options
    @micki48 - I must say I agree about fitrockr. If you don't sync your info before 6 pm it does not count for the right day (or so it seems), and it is not as inspiring as I had hoped, as you said. What about you others who are using it? What would help? More messages here about how we and the Slimpossibles are doing? Maybe we're just not getting into it enough.

If we decide to let it go, maybe there would be a way for us to internally track more than just steps. Minutes of intentional exercise (the kind that builds muscle or breaks a sweat) equivalent to a certain number of steps? We used to have occasional "baseball" competitions where each "base" was the equivalent to a number of steps OR a number of minutes of exercise. It may be possible to play around and come up with an in-house way of mixing exercise and steps.

But let's hear from those who are using the fitrockr - is it helping? The one thing I do like is that all exercise counts, and it does make me want to get the logging in and do the exercise since I am "seen" there and it helps the team.
  • conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    PW: 219.6
    CW: 219.0

YEEEESSSSSSS! Finally I feel like I got to see some results from my hard work. I am working on getting in my exercise, eating well and stress reducing this weekend. Work has gotten a little bit better. We will see what happens next week but until then I am not going to worry about it.

I don't really find fitrockr to be all that exciting. The concept is great but it is finicky and takes additional attention. Attention I could be investing here with our group. For me personally, I focus more on workouts that make me sweat over steps.
  • jugar
    Options

YEEEESSSSSSS! Finally I feel like I got to see some results from my hard work. I am working on getting in my exercise, eating well and stress reducing this weekend. Work has gotten a little bit better. We will see what happens next week but until then I am not going to worry about it.

I don't really find fitrockr to be all that exciting. The concept is great but it is finicky and takes additional attention. Attention I could be investing here with our group. For me personally, I focus more on workouts that make me sweat over steps.
    Great job! Yes, it is moving - keep the weekend sane, and enjoy that zero after the decimal! We'll see what the others on the fitrockr say - @evangsimmons170 @Gidgitgoescrazy @YinxFed @eggfreak @steph1498 ? I think that is everyone. Let us know if it has been helping you, or if we should try something "in house". Thanks!
  • matthewsfive
    matthewsfive Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    PW 154.2
    CW 154.2

I don't know why I can't shake this weight. I'm working out. My eating is perfect but it's also not that bad.

Look over what your food diary, you might need to change things up.
  • jugar
    Options
    Another week almost coming to a close! Three things:

Weigh-ins still due for today::
    @AmyRobF
    @Steph1498

Heads up for Saturday people:
    @Terytha
    @Micki48
    @lovethyneighbor
    @matthewsfive

Assignment!
    We have gone from being the largest team in the F2F group to being the smallest! There are several people on the support team temporarily who might come back as regular members for May, but we could still use some new people. If you enjoy the team and want to help us build up, please invite people you know who might enjoy it, need it, be good for us, or who are just up for giving it a try. I'll be putting up the May registration page fairly soon so that we have time to get the word out - but if you already know someone you'd like to invite, they can jump in any time. Thanks!
  • evangsimmons170
    evangsimmons170 Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    jugar wrote: »

Great job! Yes, it is moving - keep the weekend sane, and enjoy that zero after the decimal! We'll see what the others on the fitrockr say - @evangsimmons170 @Gidgitgoescrazy @YinxFed @eggfreak @steph1498 ? I think that is everyone. Let us know if it has been helping you, or if we should try something "in house". Thanks!

Frankly, I rarely look at it. It was too cumbersome to get started, and once I did, there's nothing on the site that motivates me to go back and check it. It's nothing like MFP or FitBit. It's well-intentioned but doesn't do it for me.
  • eggfreak
    eggfreak Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I agree, Fitrockr is not so engaging and yet another thing to have to log into. I don't mind ending the experiment and being able to spend more time here - next month will definitely start the small habit page.
  • eggfreak
    eggfreak Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I'm not waiting for May for the habit tracker - jumping in on April. As I contemplated what to enter for my small habits, I thought of a few things -advice my sister told me and I believe it has helped me- eat ALL the calories allotted by MFP for your goals - it will help fend off a binge or poor choice (if I'm low, I'll use almonds to get there), re-log your goals once in a while - MFP will adjust your calorie intake if need be - as you drop - your needs change, and, reboot your metabolism once every two weeks going OVER your daily calorie goal by 2000 calories - doesn't have to be with poor food. That last one I questioned but for my rare binge (last Friday I completely caved to 3 servings each of wine, ice cream and chocolate sauce) - it serves as a shrug 'ok, that was my metabolism boost'. ;)
    Two other things that help me a lot - one, logging the night before for the next day - I can tweak as needed but know I am more likely to make a poor choice if I'm hungry and open the fridge with no plan, and two, having a healthy delicious soup and also boiled eggs on hand at all times.
    A surprise snowfall here today - good opportunity to take care of indoor items - finally finish the quilt that's been hanging around for weeks, maybe try sewing some masks and write some postcards. And make some more soup.
    Have a good day you all.
  • AmyRobF
    AmyRobF Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    PW 210
    CW 210

I haven’t logged my food, checked in, made goals or exercised. I have been eating and napping! Of course everyday things. Now to discipline myself...
  • matthewsfive
    matthewsfive Posts: 836 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Matthewsfive
    Saturday Week 3
    PW 161.8
    CW 160.8

Happy with that,150's I'm coming for you.
  • jugar
    Options
    Happy Saturday, everyone!
    It is a cold sunny morning here, the house is cozy and my little plants are growing. I am going to try to take a little more exercise today - the consequences of my fall last Saturday morning have been annoyingly long to depart, but I think it is time to start venturing into some more movement.

I had two big Friday excitements yesterday. First, there was a pileated woodpecker right in front of the kitchen window for quite a while. What an extraordinary bird they are. I can see why Woody Woodpecker was designed from this guy! The red on the head is so brilliant it looks like some kind of crazy shiny plastic, the black and white stripes swooping along the head are zebra-worthy, and the way they toss dead leaves in the air to get at the root they want to peck is hilarious. Then their laughing call is loud enough to hear through the double glazing. Bird TV was at its best yesterday! We hear the pileateds often, but rarely see them. Then I actually got into the car and drove off the property! I went to a friend's sewing workshop where she is making masks and anything else people want. She lives alone and keeps contact appropriately limited, so we stood far enough apart and had a lovely conversation. I gave her an old book I had, she gave me a couple of masks (very funky ones!!) and it felt good to get out for the first time in a while. It felt even better to talk with a friend.

Thanks for your thoughts on fitrockr. So far it seems underwhelming, and I will start to work on an in-house alternative while we wait to hear from the rest.

@eggfreak - you are right, in my opinion anyhow, to include an occasional "shake up the calorie deficit" day. All through the months I lost the 40 pounds I had to shed, I did one of those per week at first, and then one every 10 days or 2 weeks. Now I just do it occasionally, but it really helped me stay on track when I had that one "free day" to look forward to. All the cravings got put off to that day, and when it arrived I found I did not need all of them. It felt good to have a planned day where there was NO logging, NO counting or tracking, and NO worries. It made the stricter days feel possible. I know this does not work for everyone, but it sure helped me. And you are also right to avoid going under your calorie allowance. That is usually a recipe for rebound and loss of control, even if it feels ok at the time. Logging the night before is extremely helpful!
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    April week 3 weigh in: 186.6

I'm SO CLOSE. 185 is my boundary between obese and overweight and I'm almost there and waiting for it is just driving me nuts.
  • jugar
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    April week 3 weigh in: 186.6

I'm SO CLOSE. 185 is my boundary between obese and overweight and I'm almost there and waiting for it is just driving me nuts.
    Week 4 might be your week! But by the end of this month you will make it :blush:
  • EvMakesChanges
    EvMakesChanges Posts: 545 Member
    Options

Frankly, I rarely look at it. It was too cumbersome to get started, and once I did, there's nothing on the site that motivates me to go back and check it. It's nothing like MFP or FitBit. It's well-intentioned but doesn't do it for me.

Although I don't have as much exposure to fitrockr as some of you, I agree that it's just another app to open and fuss with. I'm more interested in our group here. I think it'd help to have steps as well as exercises or routines (maybe alternate upper body/lower body for some sort of "credit"?)
    I aim to take a walk later today - since it didn't snow much, it might be good to wander around.
    Have a lovely day, beauties.
  • lovethyneighbor
    lovethyneighbor Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Heads up for Saturday people:
    @lovethyneighbor

!

• micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    AmyRobF wrote: »
    PW 210
    CW 210

I haven’t logged my food, checked in, made goals or exercised. I have been eating and napping! Of course everyday things. Now to discipline myself...

I’ll be your accountability buddy if you want to get back on track. I need it too. Let me know and we can text. If your head is not in it right now and need a break, I understand. I want a break too but I don’t want to forfeit all my hard work. So on I go.
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Saturday weigh in
    Week 3
    PW 189.9
    CW 191.5 😝

So many times I’ve thought I’m going to skip this week’s weigh in, but who am I REALLY kidding. If you all were intense “we’ve got to win” people, I would worry about the effect on team stats. But you all are supportive, realistic teammates who accept you as you are. Thanks for that. So there is my reality. I’m up again. I think I’m the slowest loser. 😐

Anyway, I know I haven’t been 100% in this lately, so with your help, I need to reinspire myself and get it together so I don’t give up the gains (actually losses) I’ve made.

Yesterday I took a walk. Did not get to 10,000 steps, but got in 8,693 steps. ✅
    40 active minutes ✅

Today’s goals:
    30 min walk 👟
    Drink 80 ounces 💦
    Log all food 🥘
    10,000 steps

What are your goals for today? 💕📝

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    @micki48 The only winning is done when we help each other and the only losing is when we give up. As long as you're still trying you're a winner in my books.

I have just one primary goal today: some exercise. Any amount. Although I've still been losing weight more or less, since losing the gym and working from home I have been averaging like 100 steps a day. That's not a typo. I keep making excuses to not do anything.

Other smaller goals: do some stretching, drink 1 bottle of water, portion out my snacks for the week, resist eating my leftover Chinese food.

So here's the deal. You make a solid effort at your goals, I'll make a solid effort at mine, and we'll report back here. Fair?
  • YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I am definitely done with fitrockr - especially now that I don't have a FitBit anymore. But I plan to continue logging my steps.

Talking of which:
    12th Apr. - 5320
    13th Apr. - 3397
    14th Apr. - 4861
    15th Apr. - 3661
    16th Apr. - 3516
    17th Apr. - 3494

Pretty dismal, I think, particularly as my daily target is only 6000 per day. I think that I will have to add an outside walk to my days next week.

But I shan't think about that now! Weekends are to be enjoyed - even under lockdown!

Have a great weekend, friends!
This discussion has been closed.