Daily Check In: Are You On Track Today?

Options

Replies

• Paulawilldo
    Paulawilldo Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Today was not as easy to stay on track as I thought it would have been. Once again, I allowed myself to get too hungry and over-nibbled (as opposed to over eating, but I guess that is what it really was), and then struggled to get back on track. I have to learn to eat when I am hungry and to not delay my eating until DS is hungry and/or ready to come to the table. Ugh! I know better!
  • DW2022
    DW2022 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Hi Everybody!! Paula, I'm glad you had a nice birthday! The memorial for Jambo is a treasure! Shari, I struggle with water if I don't have flavored water. I would like to stop buying it because it isn't a necessity and adds up to quite a bit on the grocery bill. It isn't sweet or carbonated-just with a flavor. I'm still struggling with this because I really don't like the taste of our water. I plan to try to do without flavored water for the rest of this week and next week leading into our trip to AK.
    Diane, I drink Celestial Seasonings Honey Vanilla Chamomile tea in the evening. I love the smell of it and the taste isn't bad either. It isn't sweet- just a mild flavor.
    My weight has been stuck for many days now. Sometimes it is disappointing and sometimes it feels lucky, depending on my eating the previous day. Today I did pretty well with eating if I make it to bed before a snack attack. I also had my chair yoga class and really enjoyed it! I'm getting excited about seeing my grandsons but also concerned about picking up Covid and taking it to them. We ordered N95 masks to wear in the airport and on the plane. I'm going to try to carry disinfecting wipes and hand sanitizer wipes to use frequently during travel. I'm trying to figure out if I need to have a change of clothes to duck in a bathroom and change before giving them hugs. I'll ask them what they prefer because they have made themselves very knowledgeable about the virus. Have a wonderful evening!!
  • atgoal135
    atgoal135 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    DW…thanks for the tea suggestion. I will get some of that tea. I read reviews that Yogi has a Carmel flavor people liked and would try that but so far no luck finding it in that flavor. Our water is terrible tasting in MN. In AZ too..but we have reverse osmosis and is great! We always had wonderful water in MN until we downsized and moved to suburb of St Paul. So many chemicals! So we use refrigerator filtered water and buy gallon jugs for our coffee and tea. 78-99cents per gallon. My DD uses a Brita pitcher which she fills and keeps in her frig. Brita water tastes good. I have considered buying one like hers for our coffee use but changing the filter often might cost same or more than the jugs we buy?? I should look at prices of the replacement filters.🤔

Paula…we all have compliant days and not as on track days…knowing you, you will be on track again sooner than later. This is for the long haul and we do th best we are able, one day at a time. I had two days no night time snacks and last night caved and had toast. Sometimes I just crave one piece about 9-10:00pm. 🙀
  • shariletts
    shariletts Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I have similar issues with water and use all of the above. I have a Sodastream as I really like carbonated water. I drink it without flavours. I have a Brita that DH uses to filter our farm water. It does a great job but not quite as good as the one tap that has reverse osmosis. DH brought home a water cooler that dispenses hot and cold water when he retired. He had it in his classroom. I use that for instant hot water. I have no excuse not to drink it!

Bad day yesterday in regards to food. Way over my calories and lots of salt. Today might be the same thing as we have some kind of party to go to. A back to school party that DH was invited to even though he is retired. I am a little nervous to go with Covid. It's nice out today so I will dress warm and keep to the outdoors. I am not a social butterfly so I won't be exposed to very many people.
  • Paulawilldo
    Options

Shari, nice for your DH to enjoy a "back to school" party from the retirement vantage point. An outside option would be preferable for me too (and I don't even like the outdoors!).

Diane, I hope your hand continues to mend. Are you doing ok with daily tasks? It's amazing how much we need our hands for, actions that can be taken for granted until the hand is impaired. I recall this from my carpal tunnel surgery.

DW, How exciting to get to see your grandsons! How old are they?? No harm in taking a few precautions as you mentioned. Better safe than sorry, right?

I continue to drink flavored seltzer water every day in addition to coffee, green tea, and water. We used to have a Brita filter but the pitcher cracked, and we never replaced it. I think our water tastes really good, Pennsylvania mountain water, so we are fortunate.

Today was an improvement over yesterday but of course could have been better. It turned out to be a fairly lazy day for me. It was gray, dreary, and drizzling off and on all day, a welcome excuse for me to take it easy! But I did cook the evening meal, turkey burgers and a salad.
  • DW2022
    Options
    Hello Everyone! I did discover that our fridge water tastes much better than our tap water-I'd never really tried it-I always think of the ice dispenser (which I don't use either) and not the water side.. definitely a better taste! I made it through day 1 of no flavored water. My eating was pretty good, I thought, but when I saw the totals on the food tracker, I was way over on sodium. I'll see how that plays out on the scale tomorrow. My grandsons are 7 and 5. The youngest started Kindergarten this year. I'm very excited but am trying to contain it so I don't start emotional eating.....good, bad, positive, negative-all associated with food! There will be plenty of exciting new foods to try in AK!! Plenty of activity, too!! Have a good evening! I'm trying to check in this week because I don't know how I can while gone-have any of you been able to check in on the phone app? Thanks!
  • atgoal135
    Options
    DW..wishing you safe travels! Glad you found a source of better tasting water, too!
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    Do excited for you DW. What an amazing trip you will have. I look forward to what you will tell us about your travels...including the foods you try! Enjoy those 2 adorable grandsons too!

So far I am doing ok today but have been feeling more hungry than usual. Am praying for all of the people in the path of Hurricane Ida, but especially for my Goddaughter Natalie (age 28). She is currently working for a govt. contractor supporting the distribution of generators in Louisiana. She is am amazing young lady who has devoted her professional career to helping others. She has an engineering degree and has worked in Greece, Israel, Turkey, Puerto Rico, and other places, primarily focused on creating access to safe water to those in need of it in these areas. She seems to go wherever there is a need, hence her arrival in LA in preparation for the hurricane. The family of her brother's girlfriend reside in LA and are in the path of the storm as well. These folks range in age from their 50s to their 90s. Just heard on the news that Ida has been downgraded from category 4 to category 3 storm. Let's hope and pray this trend continues!
  • DW2022
    Options
    Hi Everybody! Thank you for your travel wishes! We leave Friday or Saturday depending on what we decide to do about parking. We skyped with them tonight and I know that salmon is on the menu one evening! Prayers for everyone in the path of the storm and especially for your Goddaughter, Paula! She sounds like an amazing person! Today's eating went well as did the water consumption from the fridge. I also had another session of yoga. I always feel so good after yoga! Have a great evening!
  • shariletts
    Options
    DH has been keeping up on the hurricane news. I haven't made time to do it, so his updates are helpful. I do hope the hurricane continues to downgrade.

Our party turned out to be a surprise wedding. The reception part of it. Lots of shocked people! It turned out to be a really fun night. I blew my diet. I blew it yesterday too. Friends came over for dinner and a fire and while I had a plan of salmon and veggies, they called to say they would bring pizza. In the end we had smokies. Add to that chips, salad, and drumsticks.

It's a new day and a new week. I have a new plan and I need to stick to it. I have recorded all of my food- that is the meal plan I need to stick to. I am going to try and do that for the week and see if that keeps me on track. My weight has headed in the wrong direction and I am almost starting from square one again. Yikes! Hard to believe the determination from the beginning of January has got me no further ahead. I will celebrate that I did not gain. Four months to get to a lower number than where we started from in January. That seems doable.
  • atgoal135
    Options
    Paula…I hear you about being hungrier!! I always seem to have a bigger appetite come fall…cooler temps and I have to fight those hunger urges every fall, lol. (Especially for apple pie etc.) I hope all is well with your loved ones in path of Ida!

Shari…I am in same boat….am almost back to my Jan 1st weight. Agree, it’s a good time for me to refocus, too! Wishing you success! I know you can do it!

Part of my re-focus is to get moving more. I have been working on getting my knee better so I can walk and exercise more. Walked a lot yesterday and had to re tape it today. Is swollen but not as painful which is a plus and a step in right direction. I had been with no tape and mostly pain free for 5-6 days, again going in right direction. When we get back to AZ my plan is to go back to the gym every day…and get on some machines there to strengthen my leg muscles which support that knee. In the meantime I have been doing stretching exercises which are recommended for this inflamed bursa and they seem to be helping and part of my success. I had about given up so it feels good to be doing something that helps and to have a plan.

DW…so great you are doing yoga! Stretching is so good for our bodies! Glad you are able to use your refrigerator water…very convenient!

My stitches were removed yesterday. It is healing well. Does not hurt to drive and handle steering wheel (which it did before surgery). No more triggering of finger. It was one week yesterday since surgery. So glad I had it done. Will be ready for golf when we get to AZ! Departing 4 weeks from yesterday!!
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    Natalie is in New Orleans and out of communication with family now due to cell phone issues. Her focus is providing generator distribution to critical facilities. The other folks I mentioned who are also in LA made it through the storm ok, still don't have power, but have a home generator that is enough for their refrigerator and one lamp. Prayers still much needed.

DW, Yum on the salmon! You know I am such a salmon lover. I know there are various kinds of salmon. The kind I find most available here from Alaska is sockeye salmon. I am not sophisticated enough to know the differences in the types of salmon but would like to learn.

Shari, I love that the party turned out to be a surprise wedding! That is a new one and a great reason to have fun!! Getting to a weight lower than our January weight, definitely is doable! We can all do this together.

Diane, It sounds like your hand is making a terrific recovery. Woo Hoo! Your plan sounds like a good one to me!

Had a visit from another good friend yesterday. She is a dear friend and former co-worker. We had a good time just hanging out and taking care of some errands. I drove and she did the leg work. She stayed later than I anticipated so my dinner was also later than usual and once again by the time I had dinner ready, I was overly hungry. Ugh! Thankfully, today I was back on schedule and back on track too. Very heavy rains are predicted here for tomorrow as the remnants of Ida travel north. We are told to expect 4 to 6 inches of rain in one day...and more in some areas. I plan to stay home all day so my schedule should be good for staying on track.
  • DW2022
    Options
    Hi Everybody! I will be jumping back on the 17DD the minute I get home from our trip. My hope is that the increased activity level will somewhat balance the increased eating. Paula, ongoing prayers for everyone impacted by the hurricane! I hope you don't get too much rain and am glad that you plan to stay home! Diane, so happy that your surgery was so successful and that your recovery has been so smooth! I will join you in the refocus to get moving more during vacation but especially when I get home. I need to figure out a new routine since the old one fell apart. Shari, not gaining is a BIG celebration and much progress can been made in 4 months!
    Tomorrow is my 2 year retirement anniversary! I've been so grateful to be retired with everything that is going on with Covid. I retired the minute I was eligible for Medicare and will turn 67 while in Alaska. When I get back, we have a dog club picnic on 9/18 and then the work continues and picks up pace for out breed's national gathering that my club is hosting at the end of October. I will be training both of my dogs in preparation and will also be working on things for the club. I'd love to finally break the weight line that I haven't been able to cross all year....I inch up to it and then gain again, repeat, repeat, repeat. Increased activity and fresh motivation should help! Have a great evening!!
  • shariletts
    Options
    I am not using the 17DD right now. I am testing out another plan, but if it doesn't work then I will be jumping back on too. I am determined to have a lower weight this January than last January. I have developed some good habits so I do consider this year a success. Without the efforts I have put in, I could easily have been heavier than ever.

I started following Pahla B on Youtube and trying her methods. I decided to try and eat the same thing everyday so I eat the same calories everyday. That's what she said did. Then when you hit your weight goal you have room to be more flexible. I made up a meal plan that I am happy with. I do change up supper a bit since I have a DH. I will eat a protein that is calorie consistent, I include potato and one other veggie. Today is my third day in doing this. After two weeks I will see if I make any progress. I am happy that the macros are all in a good range. I was surprised that my fibre intake was high. That's not typical for me. I know I have some things coming up that won't allow me to be 100% consistent. But I am going to try and be as strict as possible at all other times. I avoided a temptation yesterday at a meeting. I was offered baking and passed it up. That felt good.
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    DW, Happy retirement anniversary! I retired 9 years ago, 3 years after my RA diagnosis. I found I couldn't do my job the way I could before RA due to the increased pain and fatigue. I took a considerable penalty on my pension, but I don't regret it at all. I so enjoy reading about your dog club activities. Thank you for sharing with us.

Shari, I am not familiar with Pahla B but will look her up online. The combination of consistency and good fiber intake makes sense to me. Keep us posted on how you do.

I had a very compliant day for me on my "modified" 17DD. I still allow myself an extra fruit or 2 if I think it will help keep me on track otherwise. I also still allow myself to have a Built bar as a reward if I get a sweet craving in the evening. So far so good. I am aiming for a good loss as I have an appointment with my family doctor next week. A friend of mine is doing WW and that still interests me too.

• shariletts
    Options
    I have five more days to see if I can get back to my pre-vacation weight. This diet is going well so far. It's simple but tastes good. I haven't had cravings so far which is super helpful. I don't have anything on today that would potentially derail me, so that's good.

It's a long weekend which is fabulous. Time for some rest and maybe we can get our ensuite done! It's been taking forever to finish the fine details. It would be nice to be able to start using it. But DH has made a lot of progress on our deck.
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    Woo Hoo Shari for you for not having cravings. That can make such a big difference in our successes. Nice to know that you have some relaxing time coming up.

Our area was hit pretty hard by the remnants of Ida, but not as bad as NY and NJ. Many roads in our area were closed due to flooding, downed trees, downed wires, etc. We did not lose electricity. There were power outages here and there but not nearly as bad as in some other areas. We did get tons of rain, ranging from 4 to 8 inches in one day, depending on the area.

I did ok today but did indulge in a small piece of homemade zucchini bread a little while ago. My friend gave it to us on Monday. I resisted until today. It was delicious, but I no longer feel a need or desire to have any more.
  • shariletts
    Options
    Paula, glad you are okay after being hit by Ida! We don't really deal with that type of weather very often. Our bad weather comes in the way of snowstorms. Hopefully those a long way off in the future.

I would have a hard time eating only one slice of any kind of loaf! Good for you Paula. I have three days left to see if I can make it to the goal I set to reach my pre-vacation weight. The reality is I will just keep up with this plan until I do. Then I will determine my next steps to lose the next pound. One pound at a time.
  • atgoal135
    Options
    Shari…I checked out Pahla b on you tube. (Weight loss at 50+). She is a tiny ball of fire! I have enjoyed listening to her ideas and will listen to more and try some of them. I will use foods and ideas from 17dd (like green tea and yogurt) and some of the meal recipes and combine with some of her recipes. I have looked at calorie counting calculators before and may attempt to do an exact daily plan for eating set amount of calories and see if it helps me. I believe it will but I need to experiment with what I might eat that would fit the calorie range for me. Thanks for mentioning her..sometimes a fresh approach is inspiring!

Pahla recommends determining a personal calorie range for losing weight using an average based on 5 calculators she used. On the several calculators I used it came up with values of 1350 to 1550 calories total for the day. If I understand her correctly she limited herself to 1350 (she appears small boned petite) and lost a good deal of weight and now eats more calories than that as she is at goal and wants to maintain…although I have not yet heard how much or how long it took. I put in my current age, weight, sex, light to moderate exercise and goal date of Jan 1st in each calculator and the results all came out with 1350 as lowest….Pahla doesn’t recommend necessarily using lowest number as too hard to maintain…instead find lowest number you can maintain in the range of these calculators results. I think I got that right, lol. I may start with 1400 to 1500/day for a month and see what happens?? Then lower it if possible but not to point of being hungry! She also recommends eating foods you enjoy eating and that keep you satisfied. She has a chocolate protein shake for breakfast with added ingredients she blends into it.

My DD is doing something different which is working for her. She is not eating anything after 7:00 p.m., not eating breakfast…she has been studying diets and this is a suggested form of “intermittent fasting”. She is limiting refined carbs…eats exact same lunch at 11:30 every work day which is mostly all protein with lettuce (I call it weed) salad, then she has lean meat or seared tuna or sushi for dinner, again with salad and or plain veggies. No snacking. She just turned 50 and wanted to lose 10-12 lbs (tried 17dd as it worked for her at 40 but this time not) and is now losing weight. I don’t know her calories. She gave up wine at home, only has a glass when they eat out once a week and if entertaining. Also brisk walks 5 miles in morning every day. (This is not new exercise) Unlike me, she has never been heavy, never needing to lose more than about 10 lbs. usually just cutting carbs has worked for her but as I said she needed more this time.

Good luck Shari with Pahla b plan. I am going to start today with the no breakfast and no food after 7:00 pm….my weight is today only 1 lb less than my start weight last January 1st! I have to do something to kick start me. So I will 17dd plan on meal and snack foods allowed and try it combined with the interval intermittent fast overnight with an 11:30 breakfast. I already know a few days I will be off on my lunch as we are saying goodbyes to friends and family and it seems to always involve a lunch out, lol. But the no breakfast will be a start and I need to start somewhere!👍😍💪

• Paulawilldo
    Options
    There are so many good program options out there for us! The Pahla B program sounds interesting. I have heard of some folks doing the intermittent fasting that you mentioned Diane. I did read that it is not recommended for diabetics, for obvious reasons. I think I would run the risk of getting overly hungry if I tried that approach. But I can sure understand that not eating after 7 pm or so could be a good thing.

I had a good day today....oatmeal for breakfast, fruit and cottage cheese at lunchtime, and salmon with veggies for supper. I had extra fruit (tangerines) later, but then also ate a few of the Ritz crackers with tzatziki that DS was eating. All things considered it was still a fairly successful day. I am starting to stress a bit at the moment. Some out of town friends will be in the area tomorrow for a funeral and might drop by to see John and me after the funeral, depending on how much time they have. I really should have done more to clean and prep for them, but I got involved in a few projects that took longer than expected. I will try to accomplish some cleaning tomorrow just in case they have extra time to come by.