Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• JillyBurg7
    JillyBurg7 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Mary Jo was surprised I'd managed to did the lilies and their massive root systems out as well JACKIE. Took me 4 days on and off and was hard work. I'm still stiff from all the digging. MJs decided to dig hers out as well and she's got a much bigger garden.
    It's really chilly here today. I'm wearing a padded jerkin and shivering even though the furnace keeps coming on. Its still raining. Bean is fast asleep burrowed deep under her blanket.
    Back to lilies. I've got a mound of roots and leaves outside the garage door because the garden refuse
    bags I ordered on last weeks grocery list had all sold out.
    Brrrrrrr. Anne.
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Today is cool high thin cloud cover. I guess it is a marine layer. Hopefully it will burn off soon.

I am constantly amazed at the different lifestyles we exhibit but there is always a thread of connection. I saw a marvelous pbs program staring the gorgeous older baking judge from the Great British Baking Show. Her name escapes me but it is Mary Something. She is so beautiful and accomplished. She is on a new show about cooking and of course, food of different cultures. Her recent show was about the great house used in Downton Abbey. Incredible! A visit to another world. American culture was never like that. Even people with great wealth had a less traditional life.

John woke up with a bad case of the grumblies. I believe he needs to start all over and just give in to
    Nap and begin anew. Might happen! He is looking longingly at a quilt.

Thinking of Sandy I must say, I would quietly go mad with such a schedule. No time to play with Katie, no political chats with John and Damon, no researching recipes for John’s dinner, no time spent in my dungeon playing with my toys! I guess I enjoy my hobbies and dear Sandy, your social life is your dedicated hobby and lifestyle. You would be miserable without it. I say… ….enjoy!

Anne: I absolutely know how you enjoy your Sunday lunches with Mike. How I would love to have Damon over for a regular Sunday lunch. You sound like you are feeling terrific. Planning your veggie garden, digging up day lillies, fixing amazing lunches for your dear son…enjoy!

Jackie: Yes! Happy May Day to you and all you sneakers! I see sweet little lambs on several big pastures around here. And a lot of new calves across the road from us. That will mean our coyotes will be very active…and so will their watch dog and their watch lamas . Odd sight but they swear by this South American import as a coyote deterrent.

Don’t you miss maypoles and dancing around with ribbons in your hair? I sure do!
    Patsy☘️🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🌦

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,077 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Hello. I am freezing here as well. Rain, wind and very cold temperatures. Farmers are starting to get quite worried. They have not been able to start planting yet and last year, the corn was pretty much all planted by this date. Wet ground, soil temperatures still very low. A few warm sunny dry days could really change things but unfortunately that is not in sight for the upcoming week.

Patsy, are you talking about Merry Berry and her show “Country House Secrets”? Highclere was one of the featured homes. I didn’t sleep much last night. I don’t know why but I sympathize with John. I was asleep about an hour and then woke up and was unable to fall asleep again for hours. So, my tail is dragging today. Warm quilts sound quite attractive.

Anne, oh gosh, the store was out of bags! I have been looking online for some additional bags of potting soil. Pretty much sold out everywhere. I still have some left from an order late in the season last year but I do not think it will be enough. But it will have to be until I can find more. 😄 Very nice lunch with Mike today. He must be feeling better to come over and walk in the rain with the Bean.

Jackie, I have seen many photos of this year’s lambs between Amanda Owen and Angela Irwin. I see there is a new Dan family YouTube video but it’s a half hour long I believe and I haven’t tackled it yet. Does George actually sleep when he’s off on his own? Good Betty staying close!

Sandy, once again, your schedule has me boggled. I will just take your daily check ins as they come. Good luck in getting in touch with Joe. Hello to Babe. Your daughter asked for a list and you are definitely providing the details. It is good of her to make sure she has food that you like and will eat.

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

7g3547j8v9rv.jpeg

And it is May Day. Unfortunately we never had dancing around the Maypole.

91oy6noluwpb.jpeg

• jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Patsy, that’s Dame Mary Berry you were watching. She’s 87 and a part of our Constitution, she has been in our lives so long, similar to our Queen!
    Our farmers are learning about using Alpacas as protectors, although for them it’s only foxes and badgers they have to deal with. We don’t have room for coyotes thank goodness!
    Not just missing Maypole dancing but yellow crepe paper daffodil bonnets!

Goodness Sandy, a busy week for sure. I turned the page of my calendar to May and was delighted to see just one appointment this week, time for my hair to be cut. The rest of my time is free!!

Hello, I see Lin has dropped in above me.

Lin, I’ll check out Dan’s video tomorrow as well as it’s close to bedtime. I’ve been searching for bags of top soil online to build up my new raised beds and think I’ve found what I want at the local farm supply store. They will deliver but I’m thinking I’ll drive over and fill the boot of my car.

I’m not surprised you’re aching Anne. An easy day today I hope… just keep warm.

I’m off to bed. 😴 💤
    Jackie
  • JillyBurg7
    Options
    Just having my porridge and blueberries and feeling a whole heap less stiff. Jilly has gone back to bed after chicken and sweet potato or yam.
    Did John go back to bed and start anew PAYSY?

I was telling Mark about Mike spotting the wild turkey and he said in the pouring rain his lawn was covered in ducks feeding on the grass seed he sowed yesterday! Poor Mark and Mary Jo! They have had Hobbes the giant puss staying with them for four days whilst Derek and Bev were in Ottawa helping Bevs parents move to the Toronto area. Poor Hobbes didn't want to go back to their small apartment after following MJ around like a dog for 4 days! He IS huge and loves three storeys to move around in.

SANDY, I know you love your hectic social life and its perfect for you, but you make me breathless just reading about your travels and agenda. Different strokes for different folks which makes the world a very interesting place. I want to plant my seeds and thats excitement enough for me! Just wandering down my small garden dodging all the emerging bugs makes me feel as though I am in darkest Africa!

So far, my only appointment JACKIE in May is tottering to the Docs mid May if I haven't keeled over in the meantime. I pleased the sons and started taking his pills on Saturday.
    Golly is Mary Berry my age! Beautiful talented lady indeed.

Thats Okay LIN, I never WANTED to dance around a maypole being somewhat of a tomboy but was FORCED at school just like eating cabbage at home. Today I LOVE cabbage and wish I COULD dance around a maypole!
    We are supposed to have rain all week. Late spring sowing this year just when we are all rarin' to go.

Clean the house day I guess,
    Anne.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    Options
    :) I have been enjoying spreading bark in my yard. I work for 30-60 minutes but no more to be sure I don't do something bad to my back. With this project, the journey is the destination. Besides Jake and an early morning Zoom meeting, the only person I spoke to yesterday was a neighbour working in her yard that backs onto the field where I was walking Sasha. I am quite content with hubby, dogs, dancing, exercise bike. Zoom. and yard. Jake got a call from a friend from our old neighbourhood. We haven't seen her in years. He invited her to visit this weekend after checking her vaccine status. She said she would keep her distance when she comes.

<3 Barbie
  • jwubben6600
    Options
    Good morning! Looks like we might have a partly cloudy day. It is somewhat warmer this morning. I do see some dark rain clouds to the southeast. But we have trouble afoot here! A gold crown fell out of John’s mouth yesterday. He did take a nap and during dinner….ooooooopsy! Out popped a golden crown. On a Sunday, of course. We left a message on the emergency number. We are anxiously awaiting a callback with an appointment. John also suffers from hypoglycemia and that is a struggle to keep it under control. With a sensitive tooth issue, it is hard to eat or even drink anything. So far he has decided on melted ice cream! (?)

As for me, I would enjoy a larger social life. John is the one that is content with a smaller more regimented life. Covid has driven him crazy. He worries about bringing anything home to me but I think we are as safe as possible. 2 boosters and two vaccine shots. We wear masks when out and about. I still use a lot of hand sanitizer. Our cases are still exploding. More each day!

We have had such cold wet weather, it is hard to think about outside work or gardening. Maybe soon. I am not a very good gardener. I have a difficult time getting up from the ground and I use a little wheeled garden stool to sit on as I push along among weeds and flower beds. I can struggle up from my kneeled position….but it is not a pretty sight. Exercise keeps me sort of mobile. Otherwise I am sure all my joints would rust shut.

Damon comes this weekend for Mother’s Day. I would love to see Andrea. She might drop over. But as I have said before, she has huge responsibilities. Maybe a zoom call, I wish I had more children. But in truth, I had all I could do to raise and educate the two I had. They are my full-on cuties!

Enjoy the day, inside or out. Be safe and keep a reasonable distance. You mean the world to me!
    Patsy☘️😷😘☔️
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,029 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Happy Monday! :) Our dinner plans were changed from tomorrow to today and I am thrilled. Now I can sit for the kiddos and bring Mc Donald's. I miss them too much when I don't see them often and with leaving for 12 days on Tuesday I want as much as I can get. I will see then Saturday for Robby's Communion but they will have other guests so I will get my fill on Mother's Day with their other grandma who is coming in from Florida for his Communion. She is staying a couple of weeks so she can help sit while I am gone.
    I am trying to call Joe to set up dinner with him on Thursday but he is not answering, he is probably in some class flirting with the women.
    I know it seems like I am so busy but I do have a lot of home time and when home Babe comes over. He should be moving in June 1st or the last week of May. Cheryl, his DIL, put a bid on a townhouse and hopes to close on it June 3. Their buyers had a home inspection on Sunday so they are waiting to see what if anything has to be fixed. Hopefully, the deal goes through or Cheryl said she will cancel her deal and just stay in the house for another year paying for the expenses herself which would be like renting from Babe since the house is in his name. All so confusing but coming together slowly.

You are all caught up on my life, now enjoy yours and keep staying safe.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time

By the way, Robby is selling plants through Cub Scouts so even though I have a black thumb I am buying an African Violet to plant in a self watering planter and hope it grows. I only bought one since google said to only plant one plant in planter. Is that correct?
  • jacAth3
    Options
    It’s a Bank holiday but very quiet everywhere so I wonder if the price of fuel is putting off families visiting the area. Our usual stroll across the moors was in a cold breeze and when I got home a message from Linda arrived to say she was on her way to the allotments. We had agreed to meet there to swap plants… a rhubarb crown from my plot to hers and a Verbena Boriensis for my garden. We sat for a while chatting then I tidied a few more areas of my plot by removing canes and wood but there’s no rush since my required 2 months notice to quit takes me into mid June. It’s looking beautiful with seeded veggie plants and wild flowers. Not what our bully will like but it gives me a smile. 😉
    I was back home by mid afternoon and spent time with a cup of tea in my greenhouse potting on tomato and bean plants. It’s supposed to warm up by the end of the week by which time some will be ready to plant in the raised beds. Today I heard it could be 18c (64f) but don’t think it got much above 12c…. Brrrr 🥶
    Linda stopped off with a couple of homemade gooseberry fools which were left over after her son’s birthday party on Saturday so I’m now enjoying one after a small salad and smoked mackerel for my evening meal.

Lin, I’ve watched Dan’s you tube video and am guessing he’s running out of ideas to record. Another walk in the local woods where he didn’t recognise the Bluebells! Good news they have found somewhere to live but I fear their trip to London will be frustrating if they think our appalling bureaucracy will allow the family to settle without several hiccups. I hope I’m wrong!
    I haven’t had time to set and light a log fire so my evening will be wrapped in a throw with an electric panel heater for company! George is already settled on the bed in my spare room! He does snooze Lin but I can tell it’s not a deep sleep because he’s quick to react to the slightest unexpected sound.

Stay safe everyone.
    Jackie 🥰
  • linder4866
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Good evening. It has been a cold, cold day with little sprinkles of rain. Just lovely. 🙃 More rain expected tomorrow. Sigh.

I haven’t had a productive day. Lots of coughing and wheezing, a bit of straightening up, writing checks and talking to a friend on the phone. (And chasing the squirrels and bunnies out of my pots of potatoes.)

Anyway, we had an interesting conversation. She did try to take me in hand a bit, buck up, get out there and live life to the fullest everyday, get in the game and stay there. She really makes it a point to spend time with friends every day, eat lunch out, go for drinks at least once a week, etc. I told her that was one way to approach life, and although she may find it horrible to hear of sitting in the house or working in a little garden, I told her some of us prefer just that. She really cannot fathom that. She said she was so sorry for her mom, who in her later years, spent time with her flowers and plants, and other quiet activities such as reading.

I don’t really know if she really cannot understand that what makes other people happy may just not match up with her preferences or what. Anyway, I am not converted, I still like what I like. 😄

Good to hear from everyone but I must get the trash out to the curb now and then will make a cup of tea.

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

Lennox teapot
    kq1rqrzkmrbl.jpeg
  • JillyBurg7
    Options
    Oh dear LIN, your active friend has obviously never heard the expression about sitting and smelling the roses, or read the poem "Oh what is life if full of care, we have no time to stand and stare". In other words life as a buddhist monk or meditating in a monastery garden is not for the likes of her, lol.

You can guarantee one day if she lives long enough and outlives her friends she will be sat wondering how to enjoy her own self not having had the time to cultivate hobbies, listen to wonderful music or even how to cook if she's out eating lunch in restaurants every day.

I personally dread being in one of those senior homes where everyone sits in chairs in a circle doing arm exercises or is expected to stare at a piano being played by someone with a dreadful voice singing equally dreadful oldies. Being jollied along and regimented for pill taking and queuing up for the highlight of the day meal time. Her mom had the right frame of mind taking delight in her potted plants and books.

Get off your soapbox you old misery,
    ANNSIE BABY! LOL.

I frightened Jilly to bits in bed last night. A very funny memory came into my mind from when the sons were toddlers and sitting on a beach in Cornwall. I had the best belly laugh for ages. It involved a seagull.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :) One of the greatest lessons I've learned in life is "What's fun for other people may not be fun for me , and vice versa."

:) Also, "You can choose what you do but you can't choose what you like."
  • jacAth3
    Options
    Just for a few hours, warm air arrived so even George and Betty were panting halfway round our morning walk. I brought them home, then dropped a box of eggs and a container yesterday’s gooseberry fool dishes arrived in, back to Linda. We drank coffee, talked about all sorts and now I’m home clouds have rolled overhead so it feels cooler and a jacket will be required to work outside.

To my mind solitude can be restful as well as creative with no interruptions; certainly not something to feel sorry about. Loneliness is a completely different thing but there’s a saying that if you are lonely in your own company then you are in bad company. I remember chatting to a colleague many years ago as he was about to get married for the 3rd time and I asked if he got lonely when on his own to which he responded you can be with someone 24 hours a day and still be lonely!
    Different strokes for different folks and I know my friend Pat is always visiting, lunching or travelling and tells me she couldn’t live my life but guess what…. ? 😁. Wouldn’t life be boring if we all behaved and thought the same way!

A pretty teapot Lin and I especially love the little Ladybirds!

Now to find a spot to plant my new Verbena.
    Happy Tuesday.
    Jackie 🥰
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,029 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday! :) Our dinner was great and it was nice seeing friends I haven't seen for over two years.
    No political talk which was wonderful as we have opposite opinions. Later I am sitting and bringing the kiddos Mc Donald's. It is another rainy miserable day, I can't wait to get to Florida and get some sunshine. My daughter said her pool is ready and warming up each day so I will be floating around while Dexter plays in the water.

I agree that we are all different and enjoy things some might not. As busy as I am sometimes I did not mind the stay at home order in the early stages of the pandemic. I will in fact enjoy being at my daughter's house alone with Dexter just doing nothing.
    It is going to be a big adjustment when Babe moves in especially after being alone for ten years.

Have a good day my friends.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Looks like everyone is on vacation. When I first returned to this group, I reported that I was down to 194.9 pounds from my starting weight of 200. Today I'm pleased to report that my scale read 191.6 - better than a 3 pound loss since April 24 - 9 days. I am over the moon excited because I know that sometime in the next few days I will see the 18? appear in the window on the scale.

Looking at my food journal, I can see that I am still eating most of my calories late in the day. That's something I have to work on. It won't be easy as I tend to skip breakfast most of the time. I need to eat a third of my daily allowance in the morning, and a third for my evening meal. The other third I will distribute between my snacks, and lunch. At least that's the plan.

Happy May, everyone!!
  • jwubben6600
    Options
    Hello dear friends! Today I have a cool day with high thin clouds. Mr. sol might smile at me between the clouds from time to time.

The really good news is that John’s tooth is fixed with nothing more required other than a bit of glue and resetting. Also his hypoglycemia is back in control. He is rather like a newborn, he needs something to eat every two hours or so. Not too much but something. My weight is very stable. No loss—no gain. Doc is suggesting I up my exercises a few more reps every week or ten days. I am to exercise everyday if possible…realizing that some days it just will not happen. He is also a great believer in doing as much self care as possible. Then get only as much help as really needed. As you already know, John sings this same song.

It is really funny about political discussions. We are electing a new governor this fall. We know one of the women running. But the funny thing is Damon and John and I will be going into deep discussion, pros and cons of each candidate. We will have such fun. Damon will be here with his laptop researching and we will sip wine, eat seed crackers and solve all the problems on the planet earth. Some people find political discussions boring or upsetting. We find it stimulating and very exciting. Viva la difference!

It has come home to me again and again, we must take good care of our health, no matter what else we think we have to do! Something as simple as testing BS and BP can tell us important info. It is so easy to get careless and forget that we must take those extra efforts to be safe. John almost tell several times and was in danger of fainting. So dearest sneakers, do remember to take the Best care of you. So you can take the best care of others.
    Patsy☘️😷😘
  • linder4866
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Good afternoon. Another cold, overcast day with periods of drizzle. In other words the same as usual. 😁 I wanted to work in the garage today, potting up the seedlings I am growing but it is far too cold today. Hopefully later this week it will work out.

My ex-coworker with the questions about the changes to long term care insurance was in touch with me again today. She returned home from out of town and the USPS informed delivery said her letter from the company about details of changes in premium and coverage was to be delivered but it didn’t show up. She called the company and they are resending the Information. Looks like another week of waiting for her.

I have been hunting online for bags of potting soil again. I thought maybe some stores were able to restock. Alas, I tried 4 local stores and no success, all were still out of stock.

Patsy, great that John was able to get the crown reset. Wonderful! And also happy to hear he is eating little bits every few hours. Excellent strategy to stave off dizziness and fainting. You and John are both staying on the path for good health. And in just a few days, Damon will return. Do you have lots of grocery shopping to do?

Connie, congrats on excellent progress! 👍🏻👍🏻

Sandy, how lovely that you were able to visit with friends you’d not seen for years. Happy happy! Happy times with the kiddos today and aha, bringing them treats they like. You are a great grandma! I hope the weather in Florida remains warm and sunny (at least while you are there.)

Jackie, ah, a bit of warm weather. Terrific! And yes, regarding loneliness, I think I am actually lonely at parties and celebrations most of the time. It is difficult for me to fit into little conversation groups unless some folks I know are there and I can horn in.

Anne, did you laugh out loud and wake little Jilly up in an unpleasant way? Yes, I don’t know about how I would adapt to a nursing/convalescent home situation. I have so many things to occupy my time here but if confined in a small area with few amusements, I don’t know. Our 4th Mah Jongg player who is now in an apartment or assisted living setting (don’t know what hers is called) is apparently happier than anyone thought possible. She goes on any/all field trips, plays cards, does crafts, attends concerts, and generally avails herself of everything that is on the calendar. So good for her.

Barbie, my friend could learn a lot from you!

Diane, Joy and the rest of our Sneakers, hello, thinking of everyone in our group and wishing the best to you and your families.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

5hptgfxguk9w.jpeg
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :) Last night we discovered that the dishwasher isn't working. This morning we were able to make an appointment for a technician to come next Monday. We are so grateful that it was the dishwasher and not another appliance. We have years of experience living without a dishwasher but being without any of the other major appliances would be quite challenging

:) A book that helped me understand why I am so content is "Quiet " by Susan Cain

<3 Barbie
  • JillyBurg7
    Options
    MAY THE FOURTH [force] BE WITH YOU........groan.
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Good morning. Another cold, overcast day. I am told we may see a bit of sunshine and higher temperatures today and then back to rain.

Following the Star Wars theme, the Big Dog company came up with this saying for some t-shirts:

uxkm4ea8gqg8.jpeg

I like it. It would work for quite a few people I know. 😁😁

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️