Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    John wanted an Italian Sub for dinner so I picked up a container of Panera chicken tortilla soup for myself….easy peezy!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    115 Cal Tom Yum broth 950ml (I love how these things "inflate" to less content)
    420g Veggies for Soup (yes, "compliments" has a frozen pouch with that name!)
    Tom Yum "creamy" noodles (280 Cal) I think they are "mama" brand :blush:

So under 600 Cal !! :wink:

(Had 3 eggs poached soft and 2 pieces of toast dry for breakfast with a friend and his girl)
  • scoutmom1981
    scoutmom1981 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Meal was a little higher in calories but it fit and I was still under so it was all good. Cheddar and bacon burger with baked beans.

I also went grocery shopping to pick up some lower calorie snacks. Late night snacking is my downfall. With my husband needing so much sugar to function we have lots of not good snacks things in the house. I found some chocolate brownie fiber one things. Only 70 calories and wasn’t terrible. Had some protein in it as well. Sure hit my chocolate cravings and I didn’t feel bad!
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,843 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I like those Fiber One brownies! I have a skinny husband who is constantly eating too. We just don’t have the same snacks. Or if I join him it’s got to be weighed and measured. And I try to have about 200 calories left over at the end of the day. Sometimes I use them and sometimes not.

Air popcorn is a good snack - JollyTime has 100 calorie microwave bags. Pretty filling. You can sprinkle on some powdered cheese or ranch popcorn flavorings. I get those goldfish crackers sometimes. Jello sugar free pudding cups. Mini carrots in the fridge. Chips only in small lunch size bags. Those small ice cream cups.

I portion out some snacks in half cup containers or baggies - usually 100-150 calories each and have them ready in what I jokingly call my snack bar. It’s easier to stop at one when it’s pre-measured.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I popped some powdered cinnamon, some liquid sucralose and 20g of cereal in my left-over plain 0% Greek yogurt! Not as good as a box of Fiber Ones... but not bad either. Actually Yooly, pre-portioned baggies of snacks (15 to 20g each) is what I used to do when I first started out on MFP!

I even had "rules". No eating of the snacks in the kitchen. Only one taken out at a time. Immediately logged. Then transported back to the living room and placed in front of me to eat while looking at the item (not TV or screen). After eating a second snack was allowed following the exact same procedure. A third snack was only allowed if I were to walk around the house block first. A fourth required walking at least to Safeway (7 to 8 minutes back then and back another 8 to 9 uphill). A fifth would require walking to Walmart to purchase something (35 minutes each way back then). I never got to a fifth!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Snack I learned from the Costco sample lady. Half cup Greek yogurt, 1 tablespoon peanut butter and 1 tablespoon low sugar jam. Swirl it up and call it dessert! 👍 >200 calories

I try not to get more than two pre-portioned snacks a day. I just don’t have the daily calories for more unless I skip a meal. And my long hike days are over per doctors orders. 😢
  • scoutmom1981
    Options
    Happy Friday Eve!!!

I'm trying something new today. I pre-logged my meals. I never do that as I don't know what I want to eat. I decided to break up my calories. I usually do very little for breakfast, slightly more for lunch and then a bog dinner so that I can eat whatever my family is eating. Today I have a committee meeting so I wont' be home for dinner. I usually pick up some fast food on the way there since I have patient right up until it is time to start.

Last night I pre-weighed and packed up some low fat cottage cheese and strawberries with sugar for breakfast. Did a "me salad" for lunch and I will have a healthy choice meal for dinner. When I get home I have plenty of calories left over for a bag of healthy pop if I want it.

I don't really eat this way since I get more hungry in the boredom hours. Hopefully by having meals more spread out I will stay full longer. We shall see. It's all trial and error!!
  • scoutmom1981
    Options
    @Yoolypr The bane of a skinny husband!!!

I do like the popcorn. I do the mini bag of smart pop. only 100 calories. I never thought to put a flavoring on it. Are they calorie free?
  • Yoolypr
    edited January 2023
    Options
    @Yoolypr The bane of a skinny husband!!!

I do like the popcorn. I do the mini bag of smart pop. only 100 calories. I never thought to put a flavoring on it. Are they calorie free?

Minimal calories. But very flavorful. You may need to spray the popcorn lightly with cooking spray to get the powders to stick. A few calories there but not many. I get Trader Joe’s “Everything but Elote” cheese powder in bottles. 458k6k3dy8bd.jpeg

They have several other flavors. Hidden Valley has small bottle containers of ranch powder near where the mix-it-yourself salad dressing packets are in the supermarket.fl40vmsz1kvo.jpeg
    qjt1aizg2i8p.jpeg

I think you can also get the cheese powder that’s in those Kraft mac’n’cheese boxes. It’s sold online but large quantities. iceo3aj36e5h.jpeg
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Laurie has inspired me ( kind of sort of ) to have a vegetarian dinner….zucchini with garlic, onions, and one tsp. of olive oil, sweet potato and white potato diced and roasted with 1 tsp. Olive oil…..roasted asparagus, and a huge mixed salad!…bunnies everywhere!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Bunnageddon! Actually I do like some of Laurie's ideas quite a bit. Including the green beans with pasta sauce one.

Yooly your topping idea is also a fast tracker. To begin with the spray really is minimal. You CAN get it to well under 1g / 9 Cal and you wouldn't want more than that anyway to preserve taste. And a couple of grams of powdered toppings are unlikely to be 0 Cal no matter what they claim; but they are also unlikely to be more than 10 Cal or so. While increasing the enjoyment potential! So I LIKES! :love:
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Well.... I swapped out a "pre-planned" (yeah right) "candy bar" that I was going to quickly grab on my way out... and sliced up THREE apples at 615g and 320 Cal!!!! Burp. I confirm that Ambrosias are SOOOOOOO much tastier, crispier, all around better than my sorry behind Royal Galas -- one's got the name but the other IS royalty among apples! :lol: Dog not happy with me about our relative time spent munching! :hushed:
  • scoutmom1981
    Options
    Trying something new for dinner tonight. Shredded chicken with some taco seasoning and a jar of salsa cooked in a crock pot. Not sure what we are doing with it. My son said that he wants his over rice but I was thinking it sounded good in a taco shell.

Going to do some mixed veggies as a side.
  • PAV8888
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Would work fine over green beans too, says the guy who ate 503g of them today so far! :lol:

They are quite expensive for what you get but the "riced" cauliflower and/or "mix" (usually cauliflower, broccoli, carrot) "riced" vegetables can serve nicely as placeholders for rice too. :love:

With Dad I used to sneak them in 50-50 with rice to "lighten" up the calories. Going 100% veg resulted in too much whining but 50-50 was good enough to pass! :lol:

Having said that, I will walk this back and vote for pure rice or tacos or what have you because the kid probably needs to take care NOT to create too large of a deficit by being TOO "good" with his food. Losing is one thing. But rebound control is the real long term game!

hmmm.... tacos... burritos... with yogurt instead of sour cream? hmmm.... :blush:
  • Yoolypr
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Trying something new for dinner tonight. Shredded chicken with some taco seasoning and a jar of salsa cooked in a crock pot. Not sure what we are doing with it.

Taco shells are fried and fairly high calorie- even homemade ones. You might try these soft tacos sold at Walmart and other grocery stores. 16iuveagq137.jpeg

They are 50 calories for an 8” tortilla. You could put in the chicken/salsa, shredded lettuce, tomatoes- maybe a sprinkle of low fat cheese - roll it all up burrito style.
    We had these with lettuce, tomatoes, fish and salsa for lunch today. The guys had the soft tacos with fish sticks while mine were plain shrimp.
    They work pretty well for breakfast tacos - scrambled eggs, crumbled bacon, dash of cheese. Or the classic retried bean burritos for more calories.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    REFRIED beans. I hate auto correct! Anyway there are nonfat refried beans in a can. Pretty decent. Actually you can roll up whatever in the soft tortillas - with some care to control calories.
  • PAV8888
    edited January 2023
    Options
    retried re fried recycled... it's the beans without a green in front that is my issue! :lol:
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Well, nonfat refried beans are more starchy but good protein. I make my own by draining and rinsing red kidney beans or black beans and tossing into the food processor. Add seasoning (chili, salsa, cilantro, sriracha?) and done. Kind of like Mexican humus?
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Tonight I am having a ribeye steak, baked potato, and roasted zucchini. Higher in calories but fits today.

Going to cut off like a third of the steak after it is cooked and use it to make steak hash for lunch tomorrow.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Nuthin like a good steak! Enjoy it Athijade - and the hash tomorrow. I love when you can get two meals out of one prep.