What Have You Done Today That Is Healthy

Options

Replies

• cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 18,373 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Yes... I was stress eating candy all last week. It didn't help that there was an endless supply of chocolate in the production office. I did lose a pound while I was on this last job, but I walked SO much - it should've been more
  • Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,347 Member
    Options
    You're probably right, Connie. That sugar rush is comforting! Hopefully things will calm down a bit.

Went out for a bit and did some walking. I have a little over 2,000 steps so far today. I said no to a donut at breakfast, but will probably say yes to some icecream this afternoon! I'm hot!

I got a couple more lighthouses at the thrift shop to go with the ones I already have. I got a Cape Lookout Lighthouse, which is a lighthouse I can see from one of the places we like to go to enjoy the water! The other is a Cape Cod lighthouse, where we stopped on our honeymoon. I have a couple other lighthouses from the Outer Banks and one I'm not sure who it belongs to! LOL! Here's a picture without the two new ones -
    mdq4tafzyt3r.jpg
    This is one of the Cape Lookout Lighthouse - it's way back there! LOL!
    fxvdptfkknci.jpg

• Laura_TX
    Laura_TX Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    After almost 60 years I think I might have made major headway in my sugar addiction. My husband has had to radically change his diet due to pancreatitis. I made small changes in mine to mirror his but didn't go as radical as he did. But slowly I see that my tastes are changing. I had croutons for the first time in a long time yesterday and was shocked by how salty they are. I had not noticed that before. We had our weekly frozen yogurt Friday night, and I woke up Saturday going, nope, not again. Something in me was overwhelmed with the heaviness of the yogurt. I used to pray for God to change my appetite to crave healthy things rather than sugar/salty things. After decades of prayer maybe this is happening. They say that sugar is more addicting than cocaine and after almost 6 decades of craving sweets and chocolate, ice cream and cookies, I think for me this has panned out to be true. Last night I thought, well, just wait for something stressful and see how you hold up then! Then I realized that I am in the middle of great stress right now, and I still don't want the sugary stuff like I used to. I think having a spouse that eats healthy has been a game changer for me. He used to order cheese enchiladas, huge burgers, desserts and then at the grocery store, load up on chips, soda pop and bakery items. Now almost all his grocery shopping is in the produce section and a few organic cereals. He almost died twice from pancreatitis in 2020, was on a picc line feeding tube that I had to administer, and almost dying got his attention. God knows that I have definitely not arrived, but something is different inside of me and I'm grateful. I give the credit to Jesus since I prayed for years for my appetite to change. I hope that I continue in His strength to say no to unhealthy and yes to healthy. I have 38 pounds to lose.

I wanted to say I saw where Restfinder is a caregiver to a dementia parent. (I friended Connie and Restfinder). My father had dementia. I was a caregiver to him, my brothers and mother were caregivers too, but last July we had to put Dad in a dementia unit. He was 94. He was so sweet; he was never violent. It was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. He was a big guy, started out around 200#. He quit eating at some point, began to lose weight. Between us working full time and his weight and us having a small house (he could not walk) we could not have cared for him which is a guilt I guess I will always have. But he knew we loved him dearly. I had medical POA over him and there were days I was on the phone with 4 of his drs off and on all day long between kidney issues, broken hip and various other issues. Plus I would be emailing/calling the dementia care unit staff. Always taking supplies up there and checking on him. He lasted 4 months in there, and after a fall where he broke hip and required surgery, he died about 8 weeks after that fall. He was not always sweet in his 94 years, but those last 4 months, he was like an angel.

Now, my brothers and I are caregivers to our Mom. She is 93. She is in a 55+ adult living community and suffers from various ailments but not one huge ailment, if that makes sense. Mom is a retired RN and very sweet and accommodating. She doesn't have dementia, just age-related memory loss. She's 1.5 hr away from me; my brothers live just a few miles from her and do most of her errands, the stuff I can't order/deliver via Amazon. I have medical POA over her and contact her doctors but nothing like the volume of calls with Dad. We love her so much and would do anything for her.

I didn't mean to write a novel. I guess I was trying to communicate that I empathize with the dementia journey and caregiving journey. It can be lonely and excruciating at times, full of self-doubt and unexpected twists and turns. I relied on my Lord to get me through it. God bless each of you richly in Jesus' name.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Laura, thanks for letting us know more about yourself! Mom passed away in Feb of 2021. It was heartrending to have to put her into a nursing home, but we had talked to her about it before she ever got sick - we would care for her until it became impossible for us to do it anymore. She needed medical help we couldn't give her and we couldn't find a nursing service that would come out to where we were. When we finally had to put her in a nursing facility we had no regrets. We regretted that we weren't able to get her into the best place, but they wouldn't take her, she required too much care! She wasn't in a home for long, she just kept fading from the dementia and then we learned she had liver cancer, so it wasn't long before she was in palliative care at the hospital. I love this hospital, they were awesome throughout her care and the care of friends that had to go there too. I praise the Lord that your Mom is doing so well, what a gift! And it's awesome the changes that are taking place with your eating! If I stay away from the sweets, you are so right, they are just heavy and too sweet when I eat them again! I have to add fiber and liquids to my diet now that I am aware of diverticulosis. I'm also careful with nuts and seeds - I do eat them, but not as often as I used to. I also take something to ensure things go through my system smoothly, counteracting the IBS-C that I have. So far so good. Prayers for you and your husband!

Did a little bit of walking today. I put on my bandage wraps on my legs yesterday and redid them today - they slid down while we were walking near the waterfront! I've read that's a good sign, it means that I've lost some fluid in my legs - woohoo. I plan to keep the wraps on for at least a week and hopefully take an inch or two off of my calves.

Went to the dentist today. Boo-hoo. For the first time in years, I need extra work done. They are going to replace the partial metal filling that I have and fill in a couple of small cavities. Two appointments in July, that way I won't have both sides of my face numbed at the same time! LOL!

• Laura_TX
    Options
    I'm so sorry about the loss of your precious Mom. I know the helpless feeling as they slide downhill. The Lord did draw near to us in those hours, and small glimpses of grace were so appreciated. I wonder who will be there for me to do the things I've done for my Mom and Dad; I can't help but wonder, even though it feels selfish to do so. I remind myself that the Lord will be there, of course, and He is enough. <3

I'm so happy to hear that the bandage wraps slid down! My brother had lymphedema and I'm aware of the scope of the medical implications. Watching his decline also motivated me to make better lifestyle choices. It was the catalyst that propelled me to do Precision Nutrition in 2016.

My husband has had bouts of diverticulitis in the past resulting in trips to the ER. Between that and the pancreatitis, we are on about 4-5 supplements to help keep our digestion working.

I'm glad you're taking care of your teeth! Important for digestion.
  • Laura_TX
    Options
    As far as what did I do healthy, last night my husband "chainsawed" a very large tree branch and we then moved the limbs to a burn pile, then I swam a little bit. Today, a walk tonight after the sun goes down when it's a little cooler.
  • connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,708 Member
    Options
    Laura - My husband is Alzheimer's, stage 4 chronic kidney disease, and has trouble walking. I am his only caregiver. It is fine right now, and I am determined to do everything that I possibly can to keep him out of a memory care facility. We went through this with his mother, and due to the fact that we were both working, we had to resort to a memory care unit. I have the time and am 16 years younger than my husband, so still have stamina and health to do it. We now have a Palliative care Nurse Practioner and their other resources. She was here yesterday, and I got a call from a social worker telling us where to get needed equipment for him (borrowed free for as long as needed - even if it is years) and a change in medication from his doctor that I had thought might be necessary since his blood pressure was running low. I am so happy we are trying this. I feel like I have resources that are on my side and seeing him in his home environment.

As far as exercise and diet - what is that? It has been so long, I think I forgot.
  • Laura_TX
    Options
    Connie, my Mom (an RN) took care of my Dad. (They were 2 years apart.) It was so hard on her that her house call geriatric doctor very strongly told her to put Dad in a memory care facility. We did, and she never really recovered her former strength and vigor. How my heart goes out to you! I empathize with you. It is all day and all night, 24x7, no breaks. I'm sad to hear the word "palliative" - yet I am glad to know you have that valuable support. This is a heartbreaking and exhausting journey for all involved. May the Lord fill you with His strength. (I have no doubt you are getting your exercise just taking care of your husband. All the lifting, carrying, walking back and forth, bending, moving, re-organizing, laundry, cooking, putting stuff back where it was... it never seems to end.)
    "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalm 73:26. <3
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I'm so glad that you have help, Connie! I'm also glad that you are able to still have Bill with you.

It's such a comfort to know that God already knows what is going to happen in our lives. God knows and that gives peace.

I just trimmed up the tomato bushes and am still trying to cool down! Phew! It is hot! I picked a couple of okra and gave them to our neighbor, she uses them in her THM recipes. Okra is supposed to help with weight loss.

Hope you ladies stay cool. Love you
  • cmsienk
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Got home late last night. I gave up my seat and took another flight. They had crew that needed to get to the other airport so other flights could take off. They were offering quite a lot for compensation and I didn't have a lot going on today. I ended up spending 12 hours in the Philly Airport because my new flight got delayed... my original was at 9:30am. The flight they put me on was supposed to leave at 12:28. It got delayed to 3:05, then 5 o'clock, then 6, then 7. Turns out we were waiting for a pilot to fly in from Atlanta. I was home by 11:30. Asleep by 12:30.

Here's the healthy part: a lot of walking at the airport and nearly 11 hours of sleep!
  • Restfinder
    Options
    You can definitely get a lot of steps in at an airport! Wow, it's been about 10 years since I flew last!

I haven't been doing much that is healthy, other than making sure to wear my leg wrappings and do my lymphedema massages. I did get about 9 hours of sleep last night, but still feel tired - sigh!
  • cmsienk
    Options
    I made plans to walk with my friend, Beth, in the mall later this morning (still dealing with poor outdoor air quality here). Her eyesight still hasn't returned to normal (she recently had a second surgery on one of her eyes) so I'll be picking her up. I know one full lap around that mall is a mile. Not sure if we'll do one or two laps. It'll depend on how long it takes.

Hope you all have a healthy day!
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Cindy, I have a church friend who is having surgery done on one of his eyes, a retinal repair. He is having to stay in a lying down position for a week before he is able to see the surgeon again! I hope that Beth will find some help from this new surgery! Have fun on your walk.

I need to say "NO" today. I've had my treatS, yes, capital S! Ugh. I need to get my determination and desire in place again!

• connierandel
    Options
    I finally got an appointment to go and get Bill's wheelchair and a second bedside commode (using as an over toilet riser with arms - not really bedside). When I got there it was at a large Methodist church. They also had a free clothing room for people in need - there were a lot of people using it today. I didn't go in, but I thought that it would be a wonderful place to donate.

They seemed surprised that our palliative care had recommended them and seemed really excited that the word about their ministry was getting around.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    That's awesome! It's so helpful when we can find what we need at a thrift store - we help ourselves and others at the same time.

I haven't done much. I've been super fatigued and feel like I just want to sleep. My head is congested too. Not sure what that's about. Have a blessed day.
  • cmsienk
    Options
    Oatmeal with 1/3 cup high in antioxidant wild black raspberries for breakfast. I'm at 1200 steps so far and I'm planning on doing a little workout in my hotel room later tonight
  • connierandel
    Options
    Bill has had a really rough few days - yesterday calmed down again. Hopefully that is a sign that the pain is getting under control....nothing healthy for me, though. I have got to get back on track with something, though. AARG. Just a lot going on.
  • cmsienk
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Still keeping you in prayer, Connie. I'm glad the rough days have lightened up for him.

I got in 6,000 steps yesterday but found a place here that had gluten free buttermilk pancakes, so splurged on that for breakfast (leftovers for dinner). I haven't had pancakes in years. Anyway the 4 pancakes were huge, so I ate 1 and 1/2 for breakfast - with blueberries and a side of bacon. Since my room has a mini fridge and a microwave, I brought maybe 2 pancakes back with me and ate that for dinner - along with about 1/3 cup of wild black raspberries and a few mulberries that I picked along the driveway and brought with me when I traveled here. At least the berries are healthy and a great source of antioxidants.
    c2jjdhl2mb88.jpg
  • connierandel
    Options
    That looks so good - just leave off the fruit... I know, the only thing healthy about pancakes. At least I don't use syrup.
  • cmsienk
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Well, I've been working pretty full days but everything is so far away I've been able to get at least 6,000 steps in every day so far (Saturday, Sunday, 7,800 on Monday)... so that's not too bad