What Have You Done Today That Is Healthy

Options

Replies

• cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 18,373 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Have you ever made a Dutch baby pancake? They're pretty easy and quite delicious. I decided to try them with some of the wild black raspberries and blackberries we have here on the property. So... I've made them twice now. The first time I only garnished with berries. Today I baked some in, added an extra minute to the baking time and then garnished. Both changes were improvements.
    pcnf7jd72xpd.jpg

• Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,347 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, where is my fork??? That looks delicious!

Wade does most of the cooking since I can't stand for long enough to make a whole meal. He also gets his meal the way he likes it! We are such opposites too - I like my mac and cheese moist, he likes it dry. I like my fries crispy and brown, he likes his barely brown and soft! Same for tater tots. We haven't had any of those for awhile, but that's what came to mind. Mostly I make what I'm going to eat and he makes what he's going to eat. We do have some cubed steak in the crock pot for dinner tonight - yeah, left overs! I'll probably do some potatoes (from flakes, which we both actually like!).

Hope y'all have an awesome day.

• connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,708 Member
    Options
    I have been really, really bad for the last week. Today, I am trying to get somewhat back on track.
  • cmsienk
    Options
    There's a lot of candy in this conference room... and it's been calling to me. 😑
  • cmsienk
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Ugh! I stopped at Olive Garden on my way home from work and ate salad (healthy) and a full order of gluten free rotini pasta with meat sauce (not as healthy). Add that to all the candy I grazed on yesterday and I was up a pound this morning. 😢
  • connierandel
    Options
    I made an incredible Bourbon Chicken the other day and I am trying to decide if it is too soon to make it again. I saw someone mention it the other day and I looked at the recipe and then started to research something to use besides bourbon. I found "boozeless bourbon
    Chicken" and I had all of the ingredients. I hadn't had it since a little restaurant I used to love went out of business.
  • cmsienk
    Options
    That sounds delicious, Connie.

I've been getting more than 6,000 steps/day since the 10th. (6,000 is my daily goal.)
    8/10 - 9,448
    8/11 - 10.169
    8/12 - 8,355
    8/13 - 8,452
    8/14 (so far) - 6,549

Two more days on this program. My room is SO FAR away from the convention area space (we're at the Wynn in Las Vegas) that it's not hard to get my steps in at all.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    You're doing so well, Cindy! I wish I could do that many steps.

Connie, can you share your chicken recipe?

I had way too many treats this week. I didn't have any yesterday!

I woke with a monster headache this morning and am feeling twinges of pain again in my right temple, so I need to go ahead and take more medicine. It started last night but I thought I could sleep it away - nope! I need to stop it as soon as it starts!

Love y'all.
  • Laura_TX
    Laura_TX Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have not done too well. My "What have you done today that is healthy" is very low level like not eating 2 cookies (just 1) and not drinking a glass of wine even though I really wanted one. I've been traveling and my friends I stayed with did not eat healthy at all and that sent me on a downward spiral. I've been on the road Sunday/Monday and again Wednesday which always tanks my healthy eating especially when the company provides the food. Enough whining! Since I'm home for 2 weeks at least this stretch, hoping to get back into good habits. This hot weather also makes me want to stay in air conditioning. Sounds like Cindy is in Vegas which I know is very hot too!
  • cmsienk
    Options
    Here's how I finished up the week step-wise:
    8/14 - 9,063
    8/15 - 9,181
    8/16 - 15,815
    8/17 - 5,144 (I flew home today. Those steps are from walking to breakfast and in the airport.)

I'm really glad to be home. Looking forward to sleeping in my own bed
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Wow! I had almost 4,000 steps yesterday and my right leg let me know it! When I got close to 2500 I was a bit nervous, because that's when it usually starts hurting quite badly, but I got all the way to 3,000 before I started to have bad pain and trouble walking! Praise the Lord! Maybe it will keep going up!

Will take it easy on my back today.
  • cmsienk
    Options
    Well, I can tell I'm back home recuperating from that last work trip. I haven't gotten over 6,000 steps since the 16th. Roughly 5,200 on the 17th and just over 2,300 on the 18th. The next two days were in between. I came home weighing exactly the same as when I left. 😑
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Well, with as many miles as you walk, I would say the food was really good! ;)

Back on track today. I took some pain meds this morning, so while they are working I am going to try and get some steps and weight work in.
  • connierandel
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Here's my Burbon Chicken recipe. DO NOT use regular soy sauce, it is too salty! I substituted it at my moms last week. I also used 1/2 tsp ground ginger instead of grated.
    https://www.punchfork.com/recipe/Not-So-Boozy-Bourbon-Chicken-Cookies-and-Cups
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Walked around stores! I'm begging off treats until the weekend - or Thursday, since that is my birthday!

Thanks for the recipe!
  • cmsienk
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Since August 25th I've cut way back on added sugar. I'm not worrying about things with natural sugar - like fruit. But I'm not eating more than 15g of added sugar/day. I had a friend who had to do that because of blood sugar issues and she's lost at least 20 lbs. So I'm seeing if that will help me. I'm down to 1/2 t raw sugar in my coffee and I'm keeping it to no more than 3 cups/day. That's 6g right there. My Jif natural peanut butter has 4g of sugar in 2T and I only need 1 T on a slice of toast. (That reminds me - I need to remember to see how much sugar is in one slice of my gf bread.) Etc.

So far I'm down 2 lbs., but I'm not going to lie... it's challenging. I had to give up my favorite yogurt (Noosa) which has 35g of sugar (!) in the large cup. And some days I just want a cookie! I haven't given in yet. The real test will be when I leave for my first job out of town since starting down this limited sugar road. It's so much harder to eat healthy when I'm working out of town.
  • connierandel
    Options
    I have got to get back on track. The cookies keep calling my name!
  • pianolady831
    pianolady831 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Cindy, when you start reading labels, there is so much sugar in almost everything! I used to drink coffee with lots of cream and sugar, then dropped sugar cold turkey to help with weight control years ago. I still use cream, just can't do it black, but I no longer crave sugar in it. I just enjoy the coffee taste, don't even want flavored creams.

Now that the evenings are getting cooler, I'm trying to get back to walking. Tonight I went out at dusk and it was so beautiful! I didn't walk fast or for very long, but it's a start. I loved seeing lights come on in houses and the faint mountain views. And toward the end, I met my neighbors out walking their dogs, so I slowed down and visited with them as they walked. Just a pleasant evening.
  • cmsienk
    edited September 2023
    Options
    A lot of walk away meals on this program (as opposed to client provided) so I came prepared. Yesterday for dinner - in my room - I had a hard boiled egg with two small squares of cheese and a Honeycrisp apple with Jif natural peanut butter. Today for breakfast I had a Siggi's vanilla yogurt (a new brand for me) with 1/4 cup of blueberries that I picked at my house right before I left for the airport. For lunch today I went back to my room and had a tuna fish sandwich (I tried the Starkist Yellow Fin tuna with EVOO pouch) with celery and a mayo packet, another hard boiled egg and a square of cheese. I'm hoping to find a place for a Caesar salad with chicken for dinner. If not - I may end up eating another tuna fish sandwich.

• Restfinder
    Options
    You're doing great, Cindy!
    Mostly I use Stevia to sweeten things or drinks that have Stevia in them.

Wade and I watched part of a documentary on wheat last night. Wow. Wade and I are going to work on getting more fruits and veggies in our diet and lose some of the processed carbs or additions to our meals (creamed soups especially). You mentioned one time, Connie, that you make your own creamed soup, could you give me that recipe again? Oh my, we bought some kiwi yesterday and it wasn't the green one, but it was a yellow kiwi, much sweeter than the other kiwi, which I just couldn't eat because it was sour to me. This is really good! I have several bags of my puffed corn (processed food - ugh), but as we are going to work on getting that out of our diet and eating more healthful snacks. I just want to see how removing these things will help me since my lymphedema and lipedema have added to my weight, but there are at least 40 lbs I could lose that aren't from that! I just have to be dedicated and determined. I figured out a way to do the walking that won't take my step count too high - 200 steps every hour for eight hours of the day. The rest of my normal steps should keep me around 2500-3000 steps a day! Lord willing I will get stronger and be able to up that number. I will start (again) today and probably just do six hours or 1200 extra steps and see how my back feels!