Daily Check In: Are You On Track Today?

Options

Replies

• Paulawilldo
    Paulawilldo Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Way to go Shari back at your good number. You are on a roll! Hooray!

I did well with eating and getting a few things done today, but otherwise it was a very rough pain-filled day for me. Sometimes the pain exhausts me, and it did so today. Our Monday evening Bible study was excellent and uplifting. So glad for that.
  • shariletts
    shariletts Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I was expecting a lower number on the scale today but that didn't happen. I just can't give up! I know I didn't drink enough water yesterday today so I will try and focus on that today. Maybe, just maybe tomorrow will be a better weigh in. The friend I usually meet on Wednesdays is out of town, so tomorrow I don't eat out and I think that will help. We shall see.

Did you take anything for your pain Paula? I know that pain is so exhausting.
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    Keep going Shari. You will see that lower number!

I take generic Celebrex daily and sometimes take 2 extra strength Tylenol if I have a high demand day like going somewhere or having someone here for some reason. But today I ended up at an Urgent Care office after my family practice couldn't see me and didn't want to "risk" calling in a prescription. I started having pain in my left groin 2 days ago, but this morning it was excruciating. I was fairly certain it was a muscle strain but my doc was concerned it could be something else, perhaps a hernia. There was no way I could drive myself anywhere...way too much pain. Craig came and drove me to the Urgent Care and stayed with me for the very long almost 3 hour wait to be seen. The nurse practitioner said it is likely a muscle issue, but if it persists I should get an ultra sound to rule out a hernia. There was no indication of a hernia today. I asked what to do for this and was told to take over the counter meds. I said I took 2 extra strength Tylenol this morning, and it didn't touch the pain. So I asked for a prescription for a muscle relaxer which I got and which Craig went to pick up for me on the way home from the Urgent Care. I am exhausted again. Good news is I have no appetite or interest in food.
  • shariletts
    Options
    Oh man Paula! That was not a fun day at all. I am sorry that you had to ask for a prescription and were not offered help for your pain. Did the muscle relaxant help? My mom takes 1-2 Tylenol 3s per day. Typically before bed so she can sleep. I can't believe they didn't at least offer you those for your pain. Thank goodness for Craig! I hope today is a better day for you.

I dropped a few ounces but I didn't quite make the number I am hoping to see on the scale. Just a half pound will do it. That could happen in the next day or two if I can keep doing what I have been doing. It really helps not to have a meal out tonight. I am so tempted by a pumpkin beer one of my kids gifted me. I don't drink beer very often, but he thought I would like t his one. I will have to plan the timing of when to drink it very carefully! I almost did last night since it was Halloween, but then I managed to get past the temptation. I think I need to wait until I see the new number on the scale. Maybe by Friday.

• Paulawilldo
    Options
    Shari, a few ounces at a time add up to pounds. You continue to see progress, and that helps in so many ways! I am not a fan of beer at all, though I was a big fan in my college days and early 20s. I am never sure if the beer changed or if my taste just changed but now I really don't like it at all. John, however, enjoys a beer now and then.

I think the muscle relaxer helped a lot, so much so that I am considering calling my rheumatologist to see if he will give me a prescription to take it regularly. Most of today my pain was minimal, though I had a few instances of slightly more intense pain. I feel major improvement with the muscle pain and a good bit of improvement with my typical RA pain. Since the muscle issue, I am taking 2 extra-strength Tylenol a few times a day. Since I take Celebrex every day I will discuss the Tylenol with the rheumatologist if I call him. My eating was right on track today....no cravings and wise food choices. I want to keep this up!
  • shariletts
    Options
    I weigh the same today as yesterday. I will press on again today and hope for a drop tomorrow. I am still on track with my plan and have three pounds to lose in three weeks. I am already happy and I know that I can keep up with my plan for a long time if I stay focused.

I am so glad that your pain has lessened for you Paula. I hope that you were able to sleep well.

DH was at the doctor discussing his medications. We went to a walk-in clinic a month ago as our famiy dr in on maternity leave and were so pleased with the dr. When he was prescribing for toe fungus he asked DH about what meds he was on and asked him a few questions that were about side effects. Since that conversation, things started adding up about some symptoms DH was attributing to physical work and getting old. Turns out it is mostly likely time to change medications. He will start them tomorrow and we really hope that the new meds will help him feel better. I will be so happy for him. Such a good doctor. He took his time and explained things so well. It's like he likes his job and isn't under stress. He went over and above.
  • DW2022
    DW2022 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Hello! Paula, I’m happy that your new medication is helping!! Shari, hang in there! Results are coming!! I hope that your DH is feeling better!!
    On Monday we received the results from the culture of her wound and two things grew so she is on 2 new antibiotics. Her wound is a gaping hole that is filling in from the inside out (hopefully!!). I emailed the Dr a photo last night and he called today to say that it looks good ( not to us but he’s the one who’s opinion counts). None of the recent stitches held. She has no extra skin and it is right where her knee bends. He said that we should send weekly photos. That’s all the news. Have a great weekend!!
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    DW, Oh your sweet girl going through so much. Good that the vet is pleased with her photo. That is promising.

Shari, Yay that your DH's situation isn't a reflection of aging! That will come soon enough :wink: . Also, so important to have a good doctor who shows that he knows and cares. I called my rheumatologist today and feel that he too knows and cares. He ordered more of the muscle relaxer for me. I think I am in good hands with him, but he is about 90 min away (on a good day with little traffic). I felt pretty good today, but still had some of the muscle pain during the morning. I slept well without any pain or issues. I had another very good day for eating and accomplished a lot around the house, once again without even taking a nap!
  • shariletts
    Options
    DW it's so good to know that your dog has new meds to help fight the infection. It makes sense why the stitches are not holding now. It's impossible to tell a dog not to bend their leg so the healing is faster. Hopefully you don't have to make anymore trips in to the vet.

DH will start changing over his drugs today. There might be a bit of a rough patch for him while he weans off one and starts the other. I think he has to do that with two meds.

My good news is that I finally made it to the new number on the scale. Now to make it stick for this week. That is always the hard part. But I am celebrating the progress that I have been making.
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    Outstanding news Shari! Celebrating with you! Woo Hoo! Keep up that good work....and I know it is work!

I did ok today with food choices. My energy level was lower than the past few days, and I didn't push myself. My muscle pain was almost non existent but my RA pain was more than in the past few days. I had stress today related to our inter church group. Months ago I agreed to drive our food drive boxes to their destination (because our van would hold all the many boxes of donations), a Christian organization that helps homeless men. Well, since I am not able to drive yet, the president of our group has been pushing me to get someone else to deliver the food collection. She has a large SUV and could easily do it but won't. I was super frustrated with this. So I will pay Craig to do this. Our president is so bossy and difficult! I am thinking of having John give up his position as treasurer at the next election and have us become much less involved with this group (mostly because of the president).

• atgoal135
    atgoal135 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hello to all. It’s been quite a while and I am wishing you all well!
    I wanted to relate what has happened to me over the last few months. My annual checkup in June, was life changing for me. Over last few years, I had slowly become prediabetic and it was getting worse to point of serious a discussion to avoid diabetes with my long time primary care doctor. I ended up on Ozempic at small dose weekly. My diet remains basically the same, 2 meals a day on IF and calories between 1100-1300 per day. I have eaten this way for three years now and was unable to lose more than a few lbs and always up and down and up again. I was unable to lose weight and unable to resist sweet type snacks that would occasionally put me over my normal calorie range. Now, just by eating my normal way, I have been losing weight at about 1 lb per week.
    I have been on it 21 weeks and am down 20.8 lbs. I’m 76 years old, can’t walk far or exercise very much…and sadly my knees are not miraculously better. I have connective tissue autoimmune disorder/fibromyalgia and widespread, various pain since 30’s so I guess it is not going away now, lol. My goal is to lose another 10-15 lbs but I am happier in my own skin today, down one pants size to 12P and if I don’t lose anymore will be fine. There is a lot of negative hype out there and misconceptions about Ozempic. Frankly, I think some people (especially movie stars) become desperate and abuse it and try to speed loss by taking stronger doses than is good for their body. I have had no nausea, no terrible side effects as played up in news, etc. It was prescribed for medical reason for me but has a nice side effect of allowing my body to function hormone-wise like a normal average thinner person.
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    Diane, wonderful to hear from you and to read about all of your good news. You have been missed! Thank you so much for sharing with us. Yours is an interesting and inspiring story. I hope you continue to stay in touch with us.

John and I were treated to a special meal today. Our Ecuadorian neighbors were celebrating the birthday of one of their two daughters. They were kind enough to bring us two huge plates full of their traditional foods, beef, chicken, rice & beans, salad, and much more. We have enough for tomorrow for sure! I delighted to not have to think about cooking for today and tomorrow. Of course the food with their traditional seasonings and cooking style is delicious.
  • shariletts
    Options
    Paula, I can't believe the president won't deliver the food for the group. That is crazy. This is yet another time that she is making things difficult for you instead of modelling compassion and being kind. Thankfully you have Craig.

Diane- It is good to hear from you! I am glad that you have found a way to now be losing weight. I know how hard weight loss is and it sure does not make any sense to not lose weight when we are not eating an abundance of calories. A 20 pound loss is fantastic! I am sure you will hit your goal.

I had a flu and covid shot on Friday and had two sore arms yesterday. DH just had the covid shot. We both took it easy all day yesterday as we were both feeling a bit chilled. He also had a headache and muscle aches. I am back to normal today. I am up a pound after our meal out on Friday. That is pretty typical for me so I won't panic. I know that by tomorrow or Tuesday, I should be back to where I was prior to the meal out. Sadly the meal wasn't even good! But it was salty. I had a chicken caesar wrap from a new pizza place. We won't be going back there. DH had a calzone and it was okay, but not fantastic.

Thankful for another day of rest ahead. I think I will manage a walk on the property for some movement and fresh air.
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    Shari, Very wise to rest after the shots you and DH got. I am debating whether or not I will get the flu shot and the Covid shot. I so rarely go anywhere that I am only minimally exposed to these illnesses and wonder if I really need these shots. Also, since transportation is an issue for me these days, I am factoring that into my decision. You have a good grip on how your body responds to salt. You'll continue to see progress for sure.

I rested quite a bit today and stayed very much on track. We are still eating food brought to us by our neighbor yesterday. I think we have enough for Monday and Tuesday too. That will make for a pretty easy start to my week.
  • DW2022
    DW2022 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Hello! Diane, it is so good to hear from you!! Also your message is particularly helpful to me because I just had my fasting bloodwork done Saturday morning and had the results online by Saturday afternoon. I see my Dr on 11/13. My glucose was at the low end of prediabetic and my A1C was at the upper end of "normal". I've been dx'd with insulin resistance for years. I am anxious to discuss my levels with her!
    Shari, I'm glad that you were able to get the vaccines! It is always so disappointing to me when the main taste of a food is salt . I hope that you and your DH are feeling better !
    Paula, I also can't believe that the President won't deliver the food. The meal from your neighbors sounds amazing and healthy!!
    I've had a very busy weekend ... Saturday started with the blood test , then a nail appointment, then the grocery. There were art openings on Friday and Saturday evenings. Today after church, I ran errands with my daughter and did get quite a bit done. My dog is doing ok in spite of the large opening on her knee. I hope to get her into our local vet to have the stitches removed that aren't attached to anything and have her take a look at the wound. No other news here. Let's all have a great week!!
  • shariletts
    Options
    I had a much better day yesterday. All recovered from the vaccines. I was able to pick up some groceries and go for that walk in the field. Moe really enjoyed it. It's a bit of mine field with all of the cow poop, but we both managed to stay out of it.

Lots going on for all of us! My day should be pretty standard as I get to work from home. That always makes it easier for me to stay on track.
  • atgoal135
    Options
    Ladies…it was sooo nice to log in here and see you are all still committed to healthy eating and we are all continuing doing the best scan to lose some weight. You are all inspiring!

DW, you sound about where I was with my prediabeties 3 yrs ago. I am on Medicare and am not sure how long part D insurance will partially cover med….it all changes formulary January 1. Right now I pay $250 each month for the pen with 4 needles. If I have to pay entire total out of my own pocket it would be about $1300-1600, depending where you can find it. Shortages everywhere. (Two reasons why it’s mostly “famous” people using it and publicly saying they are not). I am on a FB support group and so many insurance companies in US have already or are changing to deny coverage in 2024 because of popularity of and cost to them. I read from people with pre diabetes like me who have received letter saying insurance now will only cover full diabetic. Medicines used for weight loss only are completely denied by Medicare and now by increasing number of mainstream insurance plans. So I may not be on this medicine much longer even though it is beneficial in so many areas of my health with weight loss as bonus.

After 10 lb loss I started back at the gym on a machine my knees tolerate. I have not been there now for 2 weeks as I have been at Mayo Clinic in Rochester many, many days with my youngest sister(Robin, 66) who has been diagnosed with lung cancer both lungs, surgery not an option. I will be leaving for there again in a couple hours. It’s always a long drive and a long day. She starts stereotactic radiation today and will have it once daily for 5 days. This is same type of radiation I had in 2016 for my brain tumor and for her type of cancer & found early is hoped to give her a 95% chance of 5 yr survival. It’s the same adenoma carcinoma our mother had in 1985 and back then nothing could be done except terrible and ineffective chemo and she passed in less than a year. Robin is widowed and no children, so she needs me as a medical advocate and support. Therefore, we are still in MN and likely will be for 2-3 weeks or ?? (During a 7 day wait between her appointments DH and I drove 3 days with our car back to AZ and then flew back 4 days later.). We are keeping an eye on flights etc for our trip home to AZ as soon as I feel able to go. Prayers have been so answered along her journey, as cancer has not spread, and she is in one of best places for treatment.
    Sorry for long post!
  • Paulawilldo
    Options
    Diane, I will add Robin to my prayer list once again. I had been wondering how you and she were doing. No need to apologize for a long post! Catching up and sharing is always good and needed. As you and DW discuss pre-diabetes, I am reminded that I must have my blood work done again soon.

Shari, I am glad you bounced back from your shots! A nice walk can be a real treat, nice for you and Moe.

I had a so-so day today. The good news is that Craig and John delivered the food donation to the organization. My schedule was off quite a bit today, and so was my eating. I didn't track my food, but feel like I would have had too many points for the day.
  • shariletts
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your sister Diane. I am wondering if surgery isn't an option because of the type of cancer it is. There must be many little spots of cancer and not one tumour. My dad had lung cancer but was able to have surgery and that cancer didn't come back. I know they made him wait six months once it was found to see how it would spread. They said if it stayed in one mass they could remove it, but if it branched out, they wouldn't do surgery. Cancer is so terrible but I am super thankful for the treatments that fight against it. I am also sorry to hear about your medication issues. That seems like such an unreasonable cost. I can see why insurance companies can't afford to pay it out each month, but surely there needs to be a better regulated system so insurance can pay out and drug companies don't need to make such a big profit. I will be praying for you and your situation. That's a lot of stress.

I am on way back down to that shiny new number I had last Friday. It's always a struggle for me after a meal out. I hope in a few more days it will show up again.

One of my close friends messaged me that she has Covid. She said she knew it instantly. All the same symptoms she had last time. She tested positive. Made me thankful for getting my vaccine when I did. My middle son is coming to visit on Wednesday. I am going to ask him to wear a mask on the plane and really hope that he will. I head to Mexico on Nov 23 and don't want to get sick and miss my trip. I think planes are notorious for spreading illness.
  • atgoal135
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Shari, lung cancer is a scary thing and, yes, she has cancer in both lungs. One side lung surgery would take 40% and other side remove 30%. Surgeon said not a viable option and quality of life even if survived would not be good. Happy it was an option for your dad and hope he continues to be cancer free!
    Radiation is going well for Robin. Thank you everyone for all the prayers and I will check in again later when life slows down to normal pace. Happy Thanksgiving to all.