Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    sue - if surgery seems like the best option, don't worry about being away from lifting for awhile....you'll get right back into it and you'll end up right-on-track in no time!

manic - I'm not a fan of step-ups, either....I just don't progress very far with them, and then I have to take 2 steps back. My glutes are SO f*cking lazy....and getting them to fire is nearly impossible. Having said that, I know the benefits of step-ups, so, yes, I do them and am *always* glad when they are DONE! (Yes, I use either the 18" platform or the 20" platform, whichever is available....so, they are TOUGH!)

welcome, mercury - you'll LOVE the NROL4W program.

Hey, the challenge that I entered (3-month challenge, ended March 31, 2012) *did* produce 1 result - they sent me a *free* copy of NROL4Life! Even though I think I'm going to do NROL4Abs when I'd done NROL4W, then I can proceed to do NROL4Life after that! (I *like* having a "plan".....just makes my life that much easier to follow pre-written programs - for me!)

I am going to lift, today....my 4th work-out in Stage 7. Am nervous, but excited, too. I've now done ALL of the work-outs (there's 3 variables in Stage 7) and today I get to do incline bench press - one of my FAVOURITEs!
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    sue - if surgery seems like the best option, don't worry about being away from lifting for awhile....you'll get right back into it and you'll end up right-on-track in no time!

manic - I'm not a fan of step-ups, either....I just don't progress very far with them, and then I have to take 2 steps back. My glutes are SO f*cking lazy....and getting them to fire is nearly impossible. Having said that, I know the benefits of step-ups, so, yes, I do them and am *always* glad when they are DONE! (Yes, I use either the 18" platform or the 20" platform, whichever is available....so, they are TOUGH!)

welcome, mercury - you'll LOVE the NROL4W program.

Hey, the challenge that I entered (3-month challenge, ended March 31, 2012) *did* produce 1 result - they sent me a *free* copy of NROL4Life! Even though I think I'm going to do NROL4Abs when I'd done NROL4W, then I can proceed to do NROL4Life after that! (I *like* having a "plan".....just makes my life that much easier to follow pre-written programs - for me!)

I am going to lift, today....my 4th work-out in Stage 7. Am nervous, but excited, too. I've now done ALL of the work-outs (there's 3 variables in Stage 7) and today I get to do incline bench press - one of my FAVOURITEs!

Quick question, so I've (like a lot of other people) been trying to figure out what I'm going to do after this and I've thought about NROL4A *BUT* I really want something to focus on my legs. I know it says for abs but I wasn't sure if it was a lot of combo type moves that would work legs too. What do you think?
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Mary you are stepping up WAY higher than me. I'm using my basement stairs, I use dumbbells and increased weights today. I was able to do the first set with 40 pounds, the 2nd set with 35. I also increased on squats, but I am going to have to get to the gym or figure out a squat rack for home. I used dumbbells holding them at my shoulders, and did 40 and 35 there too. But I really need to use the barbell, I can tell it would make a world of difference. I have a very difficult time holding the dumbbells so I can keep good form. Hope that muscle pull is better!

Mercury, those prone jackknifes are killers aren't they? OMG! I swear he put those in just to give us all something to laugh about! I'm getting better with form though, I really feel them in my whole core!

:love: Sam, I will be so happy to be able to zip up a size 10! It's been almost 20 years since I could wear that size. I was running 3 times a week then and lifting barbie weights! Oh if I only knew then what I know now. Yea, I looked good, but I would have had a killer bod if I was lifting even at the weight I'm lifting now!

Claudette congrats on finishign Stage 1.

I'm repeating level 4 - I realized the other day that I did them with too few reps. Don't know why I thought they were 10 reps - I blame it on old age!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Sue I have one pair of size 14 dress slacks that I bought for work. They were my breaking point. I wore them twice and now they are in a box in my closet waiting for my cousin currently size 18/20 to get down to them. She's going back to work for the first time in 8 years, so they are now goal pants for her. My size 10's are really more like 12's anyway LOL. I never went shopping so I'm still wearing my 10 shorts. luckily they have drawstrings :laugh:
  • winetoweights
    winetoweights Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm cool if you want to post here....even if you aren't doing NROL4W, Jessica.

Having said that, I really think NROL4W is going to get you EXACTLY what you want. Go read denine's posts in Stage 5, 6 and 7. (and, go look at her pics!)

But what if I'm only doing it about halfway as written?

Hey Jessica-
    I follow a NROLFW group on Facebook, and many of those women aren't even doing the book anymore, but are huge contributors to the group. They also seem have all moved towards NROLFAbs or NROLFLife.. maybe check those out?
    I'm just about done with this book (yay!) but not sure where to head next..
  • winetoweights
    Options
    I have to do them again??? Stage 7? oh Lord, please no.... If so, I'll try the women's OLY bar (35 pound) and then progress to men's OLY bar if I can.

Stage 7 is evil!! Step-ups are horrible!! :) and lunges return, too.. DISLIKE!

Piece of advice for stage 7-- LOWER THE WEIGHTS that you've been doing.. with doing 4 sets of 15 reps, it is very discouraging to try and pull the weight you once did.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    jnh - I don't have my copy of NROL4Abs (yet!), but I'm told it is still all "compound moves", because, as you know, Lou Schuler doesn't like anything else! There are squats and deadlifts in it!

How come I'm not going DOWN any sizes????? Sheesh. Not fair!

jlhudy - I echo exactly what you said. My weights have decreased SO dramatically, in Stage 7, that some of it is *nearing* BARBIE-TERRITORY (read: my second time doing step-ups, I had to revert to 8 lb DB's....PRETTY DAMN GIRL-ISH IF YOU ASK ME!)

Stage 7 is just a really tough work-out:

a) Tough on my lungs - I get too winded to do the 30s rests (as work-out states!)
    b) Tough on my IT band - I've been rolling like a mad-woman, but the squats, step-ups and lunges just finishe me!
    c) Tough on my ego - after more than 6 months at NROL4W, I don't look like the woman who posted my all time favourite: "look at my ginormous man muscles" post!! BUMMER!
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I borrowed a copy of NROL4 Abs from the library. It looked pretty good. The intro was fantastic, as well.

Step ups are roooough. Roooough. I strongly suggest using a barbell, though. It makes all the difference in the horrors of it. Even if you have to use one of the "pre-weighted" barbells that is under 45. It just makes it so much easier than the dumbells of lesser weight.

I checked my BF today, and I guess I've lost almost 2% BF! Yay. Also, my gained *kitten* inch went down. Boo! I know I look smaller, but I've no idea where it's happening at because my inches aren't changing much. I also had the JOY of a post week break weight loss. I know tomorrow I'm going to step on the scale and be back at my start weight, but for today I was losing weight. Yay!

I forgot to bring my workout sheet and it was supposed to be my first stage 3.. and... yeah.. well. So I just did a few sets of "What I wanted", which included squats, romanian deadlifts, cable rows, bench press, and a ton of abs. I ignored the fact that I was probably supposed to do HIIT because my knee is being iffy and I didn't want to irritate it with elliptical or stepping. I'll probably hoola hoop later for an hour at varying intensities.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Beeps, I feel almost EXACTLY the same about all those topics! I was not happy about dropping back to 6kg DBs for shoulder presses. My ego didn't like reverting to Barbie territory either, but there's no other way for stage 7 i think! And my heart is right up there with my HIIT numbers for almost the whole thing :noway:

I'm not seeing the goddess we were promised on the book cover, but I'll take some after pics next week to check.

FunBun, with step-ups I stuck with dumbells, which was hard, but i thought it was important as a method of improving grip strength. This really helps with heavier deadlifts. But if you want to step-up with higher weights, you could always do alternate sets with both methods? That week-off decrease is fab isn't it?

3 workouts and I'm totally done! :drinker:
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    Ooops!
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Anyone do deadlifts with dumbbells? I'm really tempted. I missed my workout again this morning and I can do all but the deadlifts at work because they don't have free weights here. They don't have boxes or steps either, but I can usually make do with the nautilus equipment they have - some have raised steps and such.
  • mercury8826
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome Beeps, and yeah, I'm enjoying it so far. ^^ Sorry to hear about the lack of results, though. D=

FunBun, I just want to say, you are super cute. =x I love your smile. Sorry for being creepy. XD ^^;;

Jen, Congrats on almost being done, and I'm sorry you aren't seeing any results, either. >_o

Fulfilled S1 WO1B today, and I'm finding Deadlifts to be a very strange move. I was told that they're suppose to be working your back, but they're so similar to Squats that I felt like I was just working my legs again. I'll have to check to see if I'm doing something wrong. Also, when lunging the book says do a lunge with one leg then the other, is one rep one leg extension? or is one rep two leg extensions?
  • winetoweights
    Options
    Beeps, I feel almost EXACTLY the same about all those topics! I was not happy about dropping back to 6kg DBs for shoulder presses. My ego didn't like reverting to Barbie territory either, but there's no other way for stage 7 i think! And my heart is right up there with my HIIT numbers for almost the whole thing :noway:

I'm not seeing the goddess we were promised on the book cover, but I'll take some after pics next week to check.

FunBun, with step-ups I stuck with dumbells, which was hard, but i thought it was important as a method of improving grip strength. This really helps with heavier deadlifts. But if you want to step-up with higher weights, you could always do alternate sets with both methods? That week-off decrease is fab isn't it?

3 workouts and I'm totally done! :drinker:

Jen- did you do 6 workouts? Or going for 12? I'm on Workout 1 for the second time (well, third cause i did it twice in the beginning cause I SUCKED the first day..)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Yeah, I'm curious, too, whether Jen did 6 x Stage 7 work-outs, or the 12. (I am doing 12. Completed work-out 5 yesterday.)

mercury - don't get me wrong...I *am* getting results. They just never come fast enough or often enough for impatient me!

jennie - it's totally okay to use DB's to do deadlifts!! Totally. The *stumbling block* a lot of women have with using DB's for deadlifts is with their "grip". But, if you can hold those big ol' DB's, I say GO FOR IT!

Jen - I think I *do* look like the girl on the NROL4W cover. Even better, actually. But, my *caution* here is they show her shoulder region, ONLY. And, that is my BEST region. If it was a "full-body" shot, I'd bet my butt isn't in as good of shape as hers, or my abs, or my thighs, or, or, or.....

I say this all the time: "I look very good dressed....I'm TRYING to look good naked - and I'm NOT there, yet!"
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome Beeps, and yeah, I'm enjoying it so far. ^^ Sorry to hear about the lack of results, though. D=

FunBun, I just want to say, you are super cute. =x I love your smile. Sorry for being creepy. XD ^^;;

Jen, Congrats on almost being done, and I'm sorry you aren't seeing any results, either. >_o

Fulfilled S1 WO1B today, and I'm finding Deadlifts to be a very strange move. I was told that they're suppose to be working your back, but they're so similar to Squats that I felt like I was just working my legs again. I'll have to check to see if I'm doing something wrong. Also, when lunging the book says do a lunge with one leg then the other, is one rep one leg extension? or is one rep two leg extensions?

Do all reps on one leg (don't alternate) and then all reps on the other leg for lunges.

As far as the deadlift goes, for me personally, it's totally different (yes, it stll works the full body but def different). Depending on the weight you're lifting, you may need to raise your bar off the floor some. Deadlift form is typically designed around lifting an olympic bar with 45lb plates putting the bar a certain height off the floor. If you use smaller plates, the bar gets closer to the floor and you'll use more of a squat type motion to lift it. Stack some plates underneath the plates on your oly bar for extra height and see if it makes a difference.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Beeps. I just did Single Leg Romanian deadlifts instead.
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    Jen- did you do 6 workouts? Or going for 12? I'm on Workout 1 for the second time (well, third cause i did it twice in the beginning cause I SUCKED the first day..)

I'm on my first round of stage 7, doing the WO4 tomorrow. Although I'm considering doing it twice, as I'm not quite ready to move on to stronglifts (my next project), I'm awaiting my homemade power cage ;)

My shoulders are the most visibly improved area (although they're not that strong), probably because I don't carry any fat on my arms, so the added muscle shows. My stomach is not as improved as I'd hoped, but that IS where I keep my fat, so I'm expecting that to take longer!

I probably shouldn't start any new progs yet anyway as I go on hols 15 Aug. I just have 4 weeks (of Ramadan) to get through before I get out of here. Is is worth doing 2 rounds of stage 7? Bear in mind I might die doing it :noway:
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options

I'm on my first round of stage 7, doing the WO4 tomorrow. Although I'm considering doing it twice, as I'm not quite ready to move on to stronglifts (my next project), I'm awaiting my homemade power cage ;)

My shoulders are the most visibly improved area (although they're not that strong), probably because I don't carry any fat on my arms, so the added muscle shows. My stomach is not as improved as I'd hoped, but that IS where I keep my fat, so I'm expecting that to take longer!

I probably shouldn't start any new progs yet anyway as I go on hols 15 Aug. I just have 4 weeks (of Ramadan) to get through before I get out of here. Is is worth doing 2 rounds of stage 7? Bear in mind I might die doing it :noway:

Did you decide against Stage 6 Jen? I've lost track!
  • austelle
    austelle Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I am NOT as regular on this thread as I would like to be but I love interacting with friends on my newsfeed. I am looking for more friends with similar goals. I am one workout away from Stage 4, I am a runner, I have about 5 more pounds to lose, I am mid-thirties, two kids, love to have fun and comment on other's posts and accomplishments. I read a lot of fitness books and websites and am into some kind of controversial stuff like intermittent fasting and some supplements...but I won't hit you over the head with it ;)
    If you are interested in being friends, please add me!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I was in the gym this morning, and I got a good look at myself in the mirror wearing a workout tank, and all I could think was , "Holy *kitten* look at my arms!" I too had skinny arms to start. I carry all my fat in my lower belly and thighs. They too are smaller but still disproportionately bigger than the rest of me. Just my body type, oh welly!

Did 5A3 this morning. Solid workout! Still having trouble with my 1 arm snatch. The left shoulder just can't do more than 30. I know the right arm can do 40, but I'm trying to stay symmetrical lol I was thinking while planking that I used to think 60sec was an eternity on planks. now it's nothing! Doing good on cals this week so I just might see a loss. Who knows?