Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Congrats Donna on your virtual half! And for getting right back on track with your workout routine now that you're back from vacation.

Varda I love your out & back course for the kids, and that Nina apparently has that competitive spirit to cut you off. LOL
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Oh - great job, Donna!!! It's funny - when you're up to 6 miles, you feel like you can run forever. When you try to do a half, you realize how short a distance "forever" actually is ;)

It really does come down to willpower in the end. Happy eating today!!!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Gorgeous, Laura. You are making me homesick!
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Well done Donna! And isn't it strange that the time that you have really earned a treat you can't find anything that appeals!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    After Sunday's long run we stopped at Kroger and right by the front door they had these mini key lime pies. I didn't hesitate to grab one! Then we made some chocolate bars for a potluck dinner tomorrow and they contain crushed up oreos, pecan shortbread cookies, and vanilla wafers. Of course I had to eat a handful of all the ingredients and sample a few of the finished product. I'm really looking forward to the running group potluck!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    After Sunday's long run we stopped at Kroger and right by the front door they had these mini key lime pies. I didn't hesitate to grab one! Then we made some chocolate bars for a potluck dinner tomorrow and they contain crushed up oreos, pecan shortbread cookies, and vanilla wafers. Of course I had to eat a handful of all the ingredients and sample a few of the finished product. I'm really looking forward to the running group potluck!

Fuel and Train, Tim!!!
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Fuel and Train, Tim!!!

That's right!! Also at tomorrow's potluck - free beer courtesy of Mellow Mushroom Pizza!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    If I'm looking for a treat after a particularly hard workout, I head to Andy's for frozen custard!

I ran c25k, w5d2 with my friend on Friday. It started raining mid way through and it felt great! She ran w5d3 by herself yesterday and called me in tears when she finished running 2 miles without stopping!

Saturday was another 40 mile ride with the girls, this time lots of hills, but still at a blistering 14.9 mph pace!

Sunday, pretty much did nothing, other than walking around a music festival for a couple of hours.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Fuel and Train, Tim!!!

That's right!! Also at tomorrow's potluck - free beer courtesy of Mellow Mushroom Pizza!

Hydration!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    If I'm looking for a treat after a particularly hard workout, I head to Andy's for frozen custard!

I ran c25k, w5d2 with my friend on Friday. It started raining mid way through and it felt great! She ran w5d3 by herself yesterday and called me in tears when she finished running 2 miles without stopping!

Saturday was another 40 mile ride with the girls, this time lots of hills, but still at a blistering 14.9 mph pace!

Sunday, pretty much did nothing, other than walking around a music festival for a couple of hours.

I love w5d3. Just love it. Remember it like yesterday.

LOL at this: Sunday, pretty much did nothing, other than walking around a music festival for a couple of hours.
    Two years ago that wouldn't have been "nothing" for me :laugh:
  • timeasterday
    Options

Yeah I remember that one well. Seemed like such a big deal at the time to run 20 minutes. I dug through my Garmin records to look back at that one but darn it, I didn't start using a Garmin until W6D1. And that day happened to be Christmas Day 2012. I did C25K all over again later (due to injury) and did W5D3 again on March 31, 2013. So, wow, it hasn't been that long since I finished that 2nd round of C25K. Some ups and downs since then for sure but finally getting some good forward progress.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options

LOL at this: Sunday, pretty much did nothing, other than walking around a music festival for a couple of hours.
    Two years ago that wouldn't have been "nothing" for me :laugh:

W5D3 is a really important run, both mentally and physically. Doing that meant that I was a runner, at least in my own eyes. Of course now, I can't believe it was that hard. As I do this most Tuesdays .... on the way to my workout. :)

The walking around the music festival was a lot like my geocaching on Saturday afternoon, not a lot of exercise per se, but a lot of on my feet time, that I couldn't have done, even a year ago. LOVE this being fitter!!

Yes, Ceci, I looked at a frozen custard place ("Rita's" was next to the supermarket that I went to), but I guess that I've been desserted out.

Thinking about it. Most of the time, my entire life, I generally craved something and I ate too much of it. I would go from milk shakes, to doughnuts, to Ben & Jerry's, to tastykake pies, to whatever. I never wanted all of those, just one of them and it would last for months and then switch. For the first quarter of this year it's been cake, sheet cake, cupcakes, etc. But I'm now over that. Right at the moment it happens to be cheesecake. Ideally my mother's version with cherry or strawberry topping, but store bought chocolate cheesecake is a close second, and store bought cherry topped or strawberry topped a just as close third. If there was somewhere on Sunday that I could buy one piece of chocolate cheesecake, I would have. I could have bought a whole one at the supermarket, but I don't want to run a half marathon every day and would have to, because I would have eaten the entire thing if it was in the house. So, since I couldn't have what I really wanted, I just didn't want anything.

My current plan is to see if my mother will make a cheesecake for my birthday. She doesn't like to do it often. But I'm hoping that she might be up for it. If not, then I'm going to have to get the recipe from her, and borrow or buy the pan, and give it a try myself. It's her own recipe and not like store bought cheesecake. Neither is the cherry topping as it uses tart cherries as the base and has half the sugar of the original recipe. I prefer it. Her strawberry topping is more typical, but still good. The cheesecake is fluffier and about half the calories, but that's still a lot of calories. It's worth every bite though. She would make it for company throughout my childhood and most people who have tried it, have loved it, even over other cheesecakes.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options

Yeah I remember that one well. Seemed like such a big deal at the time to run 20 minutes. I dug through my Garmin records to look back at that one but darn it, I didn't start using a Garmin until W6D1. And that day happened to be Christmas Day 2012. I did C25K all over again later (due to injury) and did W5D3 again on March 31, 2013. So, wow, it hasn't been that long since I finished that 2nd round of C25K. Some ups and downs since then for sure but finally getting some good forward progress.

Tim, your progress has been amazing! Love to read about you and your wife's races.

Have fun tomorrow!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    I still have my data in my C25K app so I looked back to W5D3. That still remains one of my big breakthrough moments in running. The "wow maybe I can actually do this" run.

I went a total of 2.13 miles including WU/CD. Walked .60 miles (16:31 min/mile) and ran 1.52 miles (13:09 min/mile). It was on 6/10/13. Man that feels like more than a year ago!
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    5km 29:58
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Quick run yesterday with a different co-worker. She was limited on time so we ran a mile and a half. She hasn't done much running at all, but is faster and more capable than I was as a beginner. Won't be long and she will be leaving me behind!

After dinner, I went to my National Park and got in a 15 mile ride. Beautiful scenery, gorgeous sunset, very relaxing!

[img]http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss23/ctoons/Mobile Uploads/0bedbafb-5ca8-4b0e-a1cc-5b2f0c2fa994_zps1e414df2.jpg[/img]
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Beautiful sunset!

I don't have any data for c25k, I used the NHS podcasts. And on a side note, they are now doing a NHS c25k graduate pin badge, I might just have to get one!

Ran 5k last night, didn't get out till late and didn't get my recovery yoga done till 20 past 10, which was 20 past my bedtime! Run went really well, felt good the whole way round, which was a relief as on Saturday night I was in so much pain in my hip and thigh I thought I was going to have to go to A&E! I was almost in tears the pain was so bad, but after a hobble round the house hunting down some ibuprofen the pain eased and once the ibuprofen kicked in I was fine. Hasn't bothered me since so I am hoping it was just a muscle spasm as I hadn't done my stretching.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I still have my data in my C25K app so I looked back to W5D3. That still remains one of my big breakthrough moments in running. The "wow maybe I can actually do this" run.

I went a total of 2.13 miles including WU/CD. Walked .60 miles (16:31 min/mile) and ran 1.52 miles (13:09 min/mile). It was on 6/10/13. Man that feels like more than a year ago!

I know. For awhile, I kept saying that I've been running "for two years." But when I counted it out on my fingers, it had been 16 months.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Beautiful sunset!

I don't have any data for c25k, I used the NHS podcasts. And on a side note, they are now doing a NHS c25k graduate pin badge, I might just have to get one!

Ran 5k last night, didn't get out till late and didn't get my recovery yoga done till 20 past 10, which was 20 past my bedtime! Run went really well, felt good the whole way round, which was a relief as on Saturday night I was in so much pain in my hip and thigh I thought I was going to have to go to A&E! I was almost in tears the pain was so bad, but after a hobble round the house hunting down some ibuprofen the pain eased and once the ibuprofen kicked in I was fine. Hasn't bothered me since so I am hoping it was just a muscle spasm as I hadn't done my stretching.

Fingers crossed!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    I did speed intervals this morning - half mile warm-up jog, 8 intervals of 200 yards fast / 400 yards recovery, final quarter mile lap to cool down. Total of 4.11 miles since I was in the outside lanes for most of it trying to avoid the sprinklers they had misting on the track - it was 54 degrees & a little windy so I wasn't super interested in getting wet. I felt like I was really slow, but my average pace was 10:50 compared to 11:07 for the same run two weeks ago.