Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I did speed intervals this morning - half mile warm-up jog, 8 intervals of 200 yards fast / 400 yards recovery, final quarter mile lap to cool down. Total of 4.11 miles since I was in the outside lanes for most of it trying to avoid the sprinklers they had misting on the track - it was 54 degrees & a little windy so I wasn't super interested in getting wet. I felt like I was really slow, but my average pace was 10:50 compared to 11:07 for the same run two weeks ago.

It's nice seeing your times improve even when you feel you are going slow!
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    On Sunday I did the True Grit OCR, 10-11k of muddy, slippery hills with 31 obstacles. According to Strava logs there was 330(ish metres of elevation change... that's a damn outright lie. (Strava is a lying hill thieving monster when it comes to elevation!) I found a Garmin activity that has it listed for 770(ish)m of elevation change, which sounds a lot more realistic seeing as if you weren't going up a hill you were pretty well going down a hill for the entire run. Great course, great obstacles a few I hadn't seen before and a few nice variations on ones I had, ran it with a few other people who volunteered on the Saturday too.

Then yesterday I headed out for my B210K W4D1 run, originally scheduled for Monday, but I decided to rest a bit and do it yesterday. A bit slower than last week for the 10.5k but I was happy with the run, once all my muscles warmed up, and it took about half an hour for that, during which I think every muscle in my legs took turns screaming at me. Still 10.5k in 65:11 I'm happy with that.
  • romyhorse
    Options
    On Sunday I did the True Grit OCR, 10-11k of muddy, slippery hills with 31 obstacles. According to Strava logs there was 330(ish metres of elevation change... that's a damn outright lie. (Strava is a lying hill thieving monster when it comes to elevation!) I found a Garmin activity that has it listed for 770(ish)m of elevation change, which sounds a lot more realistic seeing as if you weren't going up a hill you were pretty well going down a hill for the entire run. Great course, great obstacles a few I hadn't seen before and a few nice variations on ones I had, ran it with a few other people who volunteered on the Saturday too.

Then yesterday I headed out for my B210K W4D1 run, originally scheduled for Monday, but I decided to rest a bit and do it yesterday. A bit slower than last week for the 10.5k but I was happy with the run, once all my muscles warmed up, and it took about half an hour for that, during which I think every muscle in my legs took turns screaming at me. Still 10.5k in 65:11 I'm happy with that.

I'd be happy with 65.11 on a good day, lol! Well done on your True Grit race on Sunday, sounds like a lot of fun.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    I'd be happy with 65.11 on a good day, lol! Well done on your True Grit race on Sunday, sounds like a lot of fun.

10 days ago, I would have been over the moon about a 65:11 on a good day, but I've done faster now. I think that's part of what I love about running, you always have a new goal if you want it.

I don't think I've ever known anyone to have as many wardrobe malfunctions as you Sky Chariot ;)

I had one of those horrid, horrible runs tonight. Legs felt like lead, and 2k or so in, my calves were burning. I finished the first of my 3 walk/run intervals for my program and nearly turned for home during the walk break. I decided to push on with the run and see if I loosened up again like yesterdays run, got a little over half way through my session and realised it just wasn't working. My thoughts started ticking over how much I had been running lately and I pretty much instantly pulled the pin once I 'heard' the numbers.
    If I had finished tonights run with rounding down distances, that would have made 40k in the last 7days (37 as it stands now), 50k in the last 8 days and 60k in the last 9. My monthly target is only 130.
    My last few weeks of running have been (oldest to most recent) 17.1, 15.5, 22.5, 27.9, 41.1 - Most of those jumps haven't been too bad, except for last week, which would have 30k if it weren't for True Grit. I was looking at having this week drop down to around 30-35, and next week will drop again, picking up to around 30-35 the following week where I am looking at keeping it there for a good few weeks (Probably until my Spartan Race weekend, where I'll be covering similar distance to a HM)
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Last night we did a "mixed fartlek" workout before the potluck dinner. This was my first time doing fartleks and it was a challenging workout. Here's what I did:

2-miles warmup
    5 minutes @ 8:00
    2 minutes recovery jog
    4 minutes @ 7:30
    2 minutes recovery jog
    3 minutes @ 7:15
    2 minutes recovery jog
    2 minutes @ 7:00
    2 minutes recovery jog
    1 minute @ 6:15
    2-miles cooldown

I ready for food after that (699 calories burned!). The potluck was wonderful, so many different dishes to sample and LOTs of desserts! The free beer was pretty good too!
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options

10 days ago, I would have been over the moon about a 65:11 on a good day, but I've done faster now. I think that's part of what I love about running, you always have a new goal if you want it.

I don't think I've ever known anyone to have as many wardrobe malfunctions as you Sky Chariot ;)

I had one of those horrid, horrible runs tonight. Legs felt like lead, and 2k or so in, my calves were burning. I finished the first of my 3 walk/run intervals for my program and nearly turned for home during the walk break. I decided to push on with the run and see if I loosened up again like yesterdays run, got a little over half way through my session and realised it just wasn't working. My thoughts started ticking over how much I had been running lately and I pretty much instantly pulled the pin once I 'heard' the numbers.
    If I had finished tonights run with rounding down distances, that would have made 40k in the last 7days (37 as it stands now), 50k in the last 8 days and 60k in the last 9. My monthly target is only 130.
    My last few weeks of running have been (oldest to most recent) 17.1, 15.5, 22.5, 27.9, 41.1 - Most of those jumps haven't been too bad, except for last week, which would have 30k if it weren't for True Grit. I was looking at having this week drop down to around 30-35, and next week will drop again, picking up to around 30-35 the following week where I am looking at keeping it there for a good few weeks (Probably until my Spartan Race weekend, where I'll be covering similar distance to a HM)

Congratulations on the True Grit Race from me, too! Sounds like it was hard work, but a lot of fun!

I know what you're feeling with the running yesterday. I, too, felt like I was running through syrup when I did my run last night. In my case it didn't help that it was warm, humid, and the air was filled with honeysuckle scent. I like honeysuckle, but that thick scent did not help the run last night! I ran 1.5 long miles (yes, I know it's not much, but it was last night!) to the workout with my trainer and arrived driping in sweat, so happy for his air conditioning, then worked out for 40 minutes, and ran home feeling that my legs wouldn't be able to keep going much longer. I did get home though and it felt great to rest!
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Last night we did a "mixed fartlek" workout before the potluck dinner. This was my first time doing fartleks and it was a challenging workout. Here's what I did:

2-miles warmup
    2 minutes recovery jog
    2 minutes recovery jog
    2 minutes recovery jog
    2 minutes recovery jog
    2-miles cooldown

I ready for food after that (699 calories burned!). The potluck was wonderful, so many different dishes to sample and LOTs of desserts! The free beer was pretty good too!

Sounds like a terrific evening, Tim!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

2-miles warmup
    2 minutes recovery jog
    2 minutes recovery jog
    2 minutes recovery jog
    2 minutes recovery jog
    2-miles cooldown

Sounds like an awesome workout, and a fun recovery. I've heard of fartleks but am not super familiar with them. Thanks for posting out the times/paces. One of these days I'd like to try that (but slower). Did your coach give you the target paces or how did you determine what to do?
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Sounds like an awesome workout, and a fun recovery. I've heard of fartleks but am not super familiar with them. Thanks for posting out the times/paces. One of these days I'd like to try that (but slower). Did your coach give you the target paces or how did you determine what to do?

Our coach gave us the time splits but didn't give us specific pace targets. He said start the 5-minute run at half-marathon pace and see how we feel. Then do each remaining interval a little faster by feel. I think I made too big of a jump going from 8:00 in the first to 7:30 in the second. And then a really big jump on that last interval. I should have reduced the pace by 15 seconds each time. I did that in the middle but not the beginning and end.

But overall this is a good workout to train yourself to push harder at the end of a race. By that last interval you are pretty tired but have to give it all you can. This will help prepare us for the 5K coming up this Saturday.
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Had a really active weekend! I needed it as I had gotten out of the exercise habit while I was on vacation. I did run some, but really had trouble doing anything beyond that. This weekend I took advantage of two beautiful Spring days!

On Saturday morning, I went to my Fitness Studio and did an hour class called Total Body Strength where we did body weight exercises, dumbbell and kettleball exercises, and TRX exercises; moving quickly from one to the other. Then in the afternoon, the dogs and I took a long walk and did some geocaching. We were out for almost 5 hours.

Then this morning, I ran my first Half Marathon! It was a virtual race through Skirt Sports. I took some gels, squeeze stuff, and a water bottle with me. I didn't eat as much as I thought I would because they kindof made me feel sick. Glad I brought the water though! Also, glad that I left the dogs home as it turned out warmer than I was expecting. Just in the 70's, but sunny, and not windy, and so warm when you're running!

The first 6 miles were easy. I walked for 60 seconds every mile. I started feeling tired by mile 7 and more so by mile 8. Seven miles is the most that I had ever done before today. Through miles 9 and10, I walked for 1 minute and then ran for 4 minutes. I mostly continued that through miles 11 and 12, but it got harder and harder. By mile 13, it was closer to 1 minute walking for every 1 minute running. I was using RunKeeper and it announced my distance and pace every 5 minutes. When it said that I had run 13.17 miles, I was so happy!! That was even slightly farther than I was supposed to go! I still had a half mile walk home and it was funny in that one part of my mind kept saying "You're walking. You must run, now!" and then the other side of my mind would say, "No! You finished. You can just walk now.". Guess I had programmed myself in those last few miles, to start running again as soon as my body possibly could.

Once I got home I just rested and ate lightly for a while. Then I decided that I needed to get my treat for running. Looked at local spots like ice cream stores, but nothing appealed. I went to the supermarket and bought eggs and bananas which I needed and then looked for a treat there. Unfortunately, again, I didn't really want any of the treats right then. I had been eating treats all vacation and just didn't feel like eating anything really rich today. I looked at everything in the bakery and all the ice cream. I finally settled on buying a prepared tiny meatloaf that was on sale. I really did enjoy that!

It was very strange for it to be 3 pm and I was still looking at negative calories on MFP. The meatloaf helped fix that some. Although, if things go as they normally do, tomorrow I'll be ravenous. Then I'll eat. :)

Congratulations!!!!! So awesome :) I am proud of you.

I am lucky I have zero sweet tooth, but I have a bigger problem, I go right for beer! Lol

4 miles logged yesterday and another 4 today for national running day! Feels good to get out, even if it's still plodding along at the same 11-12 minute pace. This 93 degree 70+ % humidity is pretty taxing some days!
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Last night was a 5-mile easy run. It was really hot & humid but a brief rain shower at the end felt great. With that run I hit 503 miles for the year. That's exactly the same amount of miles I ran for all of 2013! And my mileage will only keep increasing from here. The best part is that I did 503 miles without an injury.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!! So awesome :) I am proud of you.

I am lucky I have zero sweet tooth, but I have a bigger problem, I go right for beer! Lol

4 miles logged yesterday and another 4 today for national running day! Feels good to get out, even if it's still plodding along at the same 11-12 minute pace. This 93 degree 70+ % humidity is pretty taxing some days!

I always say, "I run for beer!" (I bike for ice cream!)

icon_beerchug_zps91c38a89.gif
    Last night was a 5-mile easy run. It was really hot & humid but a brief rain shower at the end felt great. With that run I hit 503 miles for the year. That's exactly the same amount of miles I ran for all of 2013! And my mileage will only keep increasing from here. The best part is that I did 503 miles without an injury.

icon_clap_zps4c6acaed.gif
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    It was miserably hot yesterday when we set out to do w6d2, c25k. We had mixed results. The girl who has been running the least had a great run. The girl who has been running with me for 6 weeks had a bad day. (She decided she will probably opt for morning runs during the summer.)

I had been having trouble breathing through my nose all day (allergies), so I tried using a BreatheRite strip during the run. OMG! why haven't I done that sooner! I couldn't believe how much difference that made!
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    4.1km in 25:44 . did my "hilly" route, it was raining cats and dogs and I ran out of steam, was supposed to do around 6km but ended up walking home. ive lost so much fitness when I had a couple of weeks off, I think I "peaked" for my two races. I need to slow my pace down in order to just get the longer distances covered again.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I ran a total of 10K today. First. Time. Ever. I did 5K, followed by 5x1K, with 3-minute walks between the kilometers. The last two K's were pretty slow and I'm sure I looked a bit tired but I kept going and felt good.
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I ran a total of 10K today. First. Time. Ever. I did 5K, followed by 5x1K, with 3-minute walks between the kilometers. The last two K's were pretty slow and I'm sure I looked a bit tired but I kept going and felt good.

Top stuff, well done!
  • romyhorse
    Options

Well done, great achievement!
  • taeliesyn
    Options

Great work! :)
  • timeasterday
    Options

That's fantastic!! Great job!
  • Just_Ceci
    Options

:drinker:

Great job!