Daily Check-In for Keto Friends 2017 Version

Options

Replies

• 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I'm back! I started back to LCHF 4 weeks ago and switched Keto this week. I'm already back in ketosis but have a similar question mjj79... my protein isn't higher than my fat but I don't actually know what the ratio should be. If I set my calorie target at 1200, for example, what should my fat, carbs and protein be in grams?
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    I'm back! I started back to LCHF 4 weeks ago and switched Keto this week. I'm already back in ketosis but have a similar question mjj79... my protein isn't higher than my fat but I don't actually know what the ratio should be. If I set my calorie target at 1200, for example, what should my fat, carbs and protein be in grams?

Go to Ketodietapp they have a calculator for figuring out your specific macro and calorie intake depending on your statistics. Or basic macros are fat75%, protein 20%, carbs 5%. When you enter your food into your diary on here it will calculate your macro intake. Click on nutrition and it will show you the breakdown.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Thanks!
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Another question, I've been averaging about 30-35g of carbs/day and am in ketosis according to my keto stick. Does anyone know off hand what the average # of grams of carbs you can have and still stay in ketosis?

And how will I know if/when I am "fat adapted"? I'm not sure if I know exactly what that means.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    mjj79 wrote: »
    So, I've noticed my protein is always higher than fat... anywhere from 5 g to 20 g more. Is that a problem?

@mjj79 - it really depends what your macros are and what your goals are. In general, if you're lifting heavy/working out a lot, close to goal weight, or things like that, your macros will be set closer together. There are some folks whose macros end up with protein HIGHER than fat, just as where they are set. It very much depends on you, your body, your goals, and your health.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Another question, I've been averaging about 30-35g of carbs/day and am in ketosis according to my keto stick. Does anyone know off hand what the average # of grams of carbs you can have and still stay in ketosis?

And how will I know if/when I am "fat adapted"? I'm not sure if I know exactly what that means.

Each person is different. It also depends on how active you are. People play with their carb intake to find that imaginary line...usually after they've become fat adapted...

https://www.ketovangelist.com/ketosis-vs-keto-adapted/

This may be helpful.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

Again, that's very individual. Dave Asprey and Chris Kressler both have suggestions for how to find your individual threshold for carbs, as well as what foods you can have more of/less of, etc.

As for fat adaption, for me, that was more important than staying in ketosis or not, for me. The majority of the benefits I received being low carb were once I felt like my body was proficient in using ketones. @Sunny_Bunny_ - don't we have a good link explaining the differences?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    I think Amy Berger explains it best.

http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2016/01/dont-be-a-ketard1.html?m=1
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Luved rereading the fat adapted/ ketosis articles. Very helpful, so thanks.

Another thing besides finding the sweet spot for maintenance carbs...if i ever get there again...and this might be more valuable than that long term; is to figure out how to separate my emotions from my eating.
    This area mystifies me. Not saying I cant do it successfully - even for long periods of time...then comes that moment when the body shuts out all brain activity and goes for broke.
    Sometimes takes months to get back to former levels of stable eating after a relapse. Months.
    Food is tangible and a fuel. Emotions are intangible and fleeting. They do not need to go hand in hand.
    They can not even connect in the real world of science. For me it's like an evil genie stuffed in a bottle...til the stopper pops out.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    @elize7 Love your insightful post! True and very humorous! Really puts things into perspective doesn't it!
  • 4031isaiah
    Options

Great read! Thanks!
  • elize7
    Options
    Feeling good. keto is on.
    Read an article about basically making a committment to making choices that are within my lifestyle, and committing to the overall change.
    Also to stop looking at choices that are not in my lifestyle in the moment; even as an option.
    Reminded me to think of all the benefits and good that has come out this major lifestyle choice, and not give in to regretting certain limitations or allow myself to feel deprived due to my own intelligently made decision.
    Today, I'm remarrying my keto lifeplan.

Honeymoon destination site: 15 pounds lighter.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    @elize7 Great plan! You are going to do a fantastic job! Have a great honeymoon!
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    Read an article about basically making a committment to making choices that are within my lifestyle, and committing to the overall change.
    Also to stop looking at choices that are not in my lifestyle in the moment; even as an option.
    Reminded me to think of all the benefits and good that has come out this major lifestyle choice, and not give in to regretting certain limitations or allow myself to feel deprived due to my own intelligently made decision.

You have such a way with words! My destination is still 40-50lbs away :neutral:
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options

15 lbs to go for me too. I felt so comfortable after losing the first 45 that I went into maintenance for a couple years. Now I'm heading for my original goal weight. It was a bit tough to get those first few pounds off, I guess my body still likes this weight. But I'm moving now.

Since I'm looking at being 60 next year, I want to get a little lighter, find a weight I think will be good for the next 20 years. (Hopefully) AND maybe take a little stress off these old joints.

So 15 pounds lighter is my destination too, but not my honeymoon site, hopefully my retirement home. lol
  • elize7
    Options
    Haha Fvaisey! Mine is more like retirement home too, but the honeymoon scenario seems much more motivating. Plus I'm definately a 60 going on 39 type of gal. Need to reclaim those lost decades...and if denial helps...well, in the area of aging only, I'm all for it!
    Just want to say again how much I adore my fitness pals, all the support and being there thru thick and thin. No other place like it when the chips are up or down. It really, really matters to me.

Special shout out to Knit, (you know why)
    who is all over these discussion threads tirelessly providing information, inspiration,
    humor, support and heartfelt love and compassion. So awesome.

Why I chose keto:
    It worked.
    For the first time ever, I had an abundance of energy.
    My skin cleared up.
    Three dangerous health conditions resolved completely.
    I love being thin.
    I love wearing cute clothes and heels.
    I feel happier In general.
    I got courage to go out in the world snd socialize. Even to take risks.

That's just for starters.
  • Echabe
    Echabe Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I just started my keto journey 4 days ago, and I swear I am already feeling more energetic! I have a long way to go with a weight loss goal of just over 100lbs, but for now I am going to focus on small steps to get me there. Thanks for creating this group, it looks like there's a ton of helpful information here, and I can't wait to learn more from all of you.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Haven't popped in here in awhile, but I have still been logging daily and doing the best I can. Looks like there are a lot of new faces, welcome!! I am back in ketosis this week and feeling great. It seems to be officially spring in my neck of the woods and I find that so rejuvenating!! Hibernation season is officially over!
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Haha Fvaisey! Mine is more like retirement home too, but the honeymoon scenario seems much more motivating. Plus I'm definately a 60 going on 39 type of gal. Need to reclaim those lost decades...and if denial helps...well, in the area of aging only, I'm all for it!
    Just want to say again how much I adore my fitness pals, all the support and being there thru thick and thin. No other place like it when the chips are up or down. It really, really matters to me.

Special shout out to Knit, (you know why)
    who is all over these discussion threads tirelessly providing information, inspiration,
    humor, support and heartfelt love and compassion. So awesome.

Why I chose keto:
    It worked.
    For the first time ever, I had an abundance of energy.
    My skin cleared up.
    Three dangerous health conditions resolved completely.
    I love being thin.
    I love wearing cute clothes and heels.
    I feel happier In general.
    I got courage to go out in the world snd socialize. Even to take risks.

That's just for starters.

Those are great reasons to join and stick to Keto! I tried about 2 years ago but didn't have the knowledge, tools or enough of the "want to factor" to give it an honest effort so I never saw results.

This time, I am a week and a half in and the difference is notable. The foot pain I suffered with for nearly a year is almost gone and with a better grip on how to balance my electrolytes, I feel better. That makes it easier to stick to while I wait for my digestive system to realize what I'm doing and catch up.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Echabe wrote: »
    Hi all! I just started my keto journey 4 days ago, and I swear I am already feeling more energetic! I have a long way to go with a weight loss goal of just over 100lbs, but for now I am going to focus on small steps to get me there. Thanks for creating this group, it looks like there's a ton of helpful information here, and I can't wait to learn more from all of you.

Sounds like a great start! I'd LOVE to lose about 60lbs but would be happy with 40 or 50.

I did almost a month of low-carb before I went to Keto and o far I'm down 8lbs.