• maryschwartzroby
    maryschwartzroby Posts: 160 Member

6-30-17 232.5
    8-7-17 234.5
    8-28-17 238.0
    9-1-17 233.0
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,678 Member
    Pam, so awesome! My very favorite author is Louise Penny whose novels are set in Quebec.
  • gaylebodine
    "This is terrible!! I have just let myself go. Am I happy about it? NO. I'm struggling. I'm going to start again today. I need all the encouragement I can get. I need to get away from sweets and sodas again plus track my food. This is my day 1."

I've had so many day 1's. It really is one day at a time. I'm on a good trend now but not til after gaining back 30 of my 50 lost. One day at a time.
  • gaylebodine
    7/14/17: 198
    7/23/17: 200
    7/29/17: 198.
    8/05/17: 198
    8/11/17: 197.4
    8/21/17: 197.6
    9/14/17: 190.6

Hmmm, maybe something is wrong with my scale, but I'll take it. Going to work on being faithful to my food diary and a one or two day fast (600 calories) a week which is what enabled my 50 pound loss in the first place.
  • gaylebodine
    Oh dear, I blew right by the September 1 end of this challenge. Yikes. When do you want the new challenge to start? Is this Friday OK? Glad that Pam, Marney are doing so well and Mary is hanging in there.
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    9/15/17: 136.6 An Amish luncheon and retirement party this week. Not my usual food choices. I'm heading to the treadmill when I get off of the computer!

Gayle: Thanks for the author lead. My library has Still Life, so I will pick it up this weekend!
    One of my favorites is the Alan Bradley series with Flavia de Luce - the reader on the audiobook is great.

I can't speak on fasting since I would never do it but I think kicking up activity level is where progress is made - while keeping to the calorie limits in MFP. I did eat a bit more when I had the exercise calories available.

But even in maintenance, getting in 60 min. (or more) of activity everyday is my goal. Basic is treadmill (about 3mph with some incline watching a kdrama) but overlooked is housework. REally! Take a room and "detail" it like they do cars. Go through every drawer, get behind the furniture, wash the miniblinds... It's productive on so many levels. You'd be surprised at what you will find! Your hands are busy and you're not in the kitchen - unless you're doing the kitchen ;)
  • gaylebodine
    Still Life is the first so that's great! I don't like everything about every book but her characters are interesting and love the main police inspector. Her new book is out and will start it soon. Here's the website http://www.louisepenny.com/books.htm
    I have read all the Flavia de Luce and have loved them! Can't wait for the new one to come out! Have you read Alexander McCall Smith? He has two book series I follow (there are more but I can't keep up) http://www.alexandermccallsmith.com/book series I read: The Number One Women's Detective Agency series and the Sunday Philosophy Club. Fabulous and always leave a feel good feeling. The Detective Agency is set in Botswana and the Sunday Philosophy Club in Scotland. I enjoy reading books set in other countries. Oh, and there is Sujata Massey whose books take place in British ruled India and modern day Japan. And just started reading Ed Lin whose books are set in South Korea. My cousin lives in Taipei and recommended him.
  • gaylebodine
    Hello All, Let's have a 6 week challenge starting the weekend of September 15th through Friday, October 27th. That will lead us up to the two holiday months. Please post your weight for September and your goals. Let's keep on moving toward increased well being and health! I'll weigh in on September 16th. My goal is to not need the C-PAP and feel better about my senior body. I've made "gains" in this last year and look forward to "losses".
  • gaylebodine
    Pam, Ed Lin's books are set in Taipei, not South Korea. I misspoke.
  • gaylebodine
    9/16/17: 191.6
    Weigh in for challenge September 15th - October 27th. The challenge following will be November December, the Holiday Challenge.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    9/18/17 170.5

Hi Ladies,

Sorry to be absent. I just gave up. Thanks for the challenge Gayle.

I need more encouragement too. I am going to tell you about my food, exercise and challenges daily for awhile. I need accountability because I am not even keeping my focus for a week. So I am going to keep it for a day at a time. It will be boring but necessary for me and you are my cheering section so I am going to "use" you to keep me focused.

Day 1 here we go!

Marney
  • dasher602014
    Stuck to my eating plan and drank more water yesterday. Did not do my exercises. But I always start with food since that is TMT. Got on the scale and gained a lb!

I am going to stick to the plan today. Going golfing so that will take care of the exercise part of things.

We have had 10 days of fine clear weather. First time since last fall. Summer temps. Finally! Wrong month but nice to have even if summer will only be 2 weeks long. Don't know if it is the humidity or what but joints are hurting. Hands and feet mostly. Just getting older, I guess.

Still haven't got the 20 or so more donated hostas in the ground. I HAVE to do that over the next few days because the leaves are starting to fall and that will be another big chore. I And the hostas will not make it through the winter if they aren't planted. I ran out of steam because I planted about 75 of them earlier this summer.

Working on sewing a pair of shorts too. Pants fitting has eluded me but this one is going well so I want to keep going. But wants have to take back seat to needs at times. So I have to 'adult" for the next couple of days.

Talk soon.
  • gaylebodine
    9/30/17: 192.6
    Weigh in for challenge September 15th - October 27th. The challenge following will be November December, the Holiday Challenge.
  • gaylebodine
    "Sorry to be absent. I just gave up. Thanks for the challenge Gayle".
    Marney, I can so relate to this. I've been arguing with myself about giving myfitnesspal a break, going back to weighwatchers, just going to bed and putting a pillow over my head, going back to day 1 on myfitnesspal, when ALL I really have to do is drink water, keep my food diary, walk around the lake a couple times a week. So simple but SO hard! My big excuse this last week is that the battery was dead on my scale and couldn't weigh myself. Jesh. Now have new battery, so no excuses. Argh!!!!

• MapDancer
    10/2 135.6

Gayle: I burst out laughing when I read about your scale excuse - it just struck me so funny!

I have no excuses. I bought a new scale for the hall bathroom last spring but much prefer using the one in our master bathroom. The new one runs about 1/2 lb more. Let the guests (meaning competitive sister) deal with that!

Marney: I picked up Still Life at the library and as I got into it realized that it seemed familiar. I've read it before... but don't remember how it ends. A quick skim perhaps and then I can look for the rest in the series. I've listened to all the Lady's Detective Agency series - the reader is excellent and pronounces the names and locations beautifully!
    There are no quick fixes to weight issues. The little changes don't have an immediate large impact - which is what we all would want. But the cumulative effect is big. I was excited and stayed motivated for the little losses that I saw over the 18 months because I saw real health benefits. Only my DH had to listen to my "Yeh! another .4 loss." I weighed everyday and only wrote down when I hit a new low - makes for a better graph.

I knew I made a choice every time I ate or got on the treadmill. I don't consider myself a patient person and I didn't seek out a group for the first six months (only came across Grandma Charlie because she was a kdrama watcher). Occasionally I look at my fat photos and wonder why I didn't see it creeping up on me in my 50s - not going back is also motivation for me. Well, it's way past breakfast time for me...

So how do you define what motivates you?
  • gaylebodine
    edited October 2017
    9/30/17: 192.6
    10/12/17: 200.6
    Yikes! Comfort eating and not weighing, never good. So, did consider leaving my ticker at 1 day streak but this is all part of the process. I'm getting a new roommate this month who may benefit my journey by making me less anxious about money and may be a good influence on eating healthfully. She is a vegetarian who watches her sugar and processed foods and loves to cook. I am so disgusted by my extra pudgy body but know I need to love it and support it in a way I've been neglecting. Signed up for a Daily OM class "Reinventing The Body, Resurrecting the Soul"
    by Deepak Chopra. Hopefully this will help change my attitude. Course, with all things, I need to actually start that class and stick with it.
  • gaylebodine
    Oh, and what motivates me: It was just about feeling younger and less pudgy but things have changed. Now that I am 66.6 years old (lol) heath is not just a good idea but a necessity. I have sleep apnea that I am told will probably be gone if I lose the weight. I have high cholesterol, I have a problem with joint pain and an Achilles tendon that is not happy and that extra weight does not help. I know that plenty of other problems that plague seniors are also linked to obesity.
    Pam, how is Charlie doing?
  • dasher602014
    Hey, the give up girl here. October was awful. Family crisis with my niece's husband. Away more than half the time. Anniversary season for me which always gets me down. Fall rain which does not help.

Hey, Gayle. High cholesterol. Sleep apnea did go when I lost a little weight but I am gaining again. Joint pain, muscle pain (which might be my statin at work) achilles tendon issues. I guess they see all the same problems in each of us and losing weight will help. But so very very hard.

Back with you and back on the wagon again!

Did I post this link to you guys? It has helped me.

https://palousemindfulness.com/

I am going to get back on the stationery bike with my computer showing videos of riding through the English countryside.

Today focus on food.

Marney
  • maryschwartzroby
    maryschwartzroby Posts: 160 Member
    Hi everyone, glad I found you again!! It's been a rough few months and I've gained everything back. I'm going to start over from the beginning. This is so sad, after working so hard to lose. Today I thought ,with Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up, I'd wait until the Jan. to begin.NO, I'm at my highest weight and I need to start NOW! I fixed me a soda, logged it in after a couple sips, the sugar content was outrageous. I'm pouring it out and counting 2oz.as drank. So, day 1 it is.
  • MapDancer
    Mary - it's good to see you back! In re-reading your post I see a lot of strength. You quickly were able to squash the procrastination of putting it off - putting your foot down and saying NOW! That is the way I felt on 11/12/2013 when I started my journey using MFP. Keep that feeling!

Wonderful to picture you discarding the soda. A quick correction and you saved the day! Frankly, the junk food industry doesn't care about you - they only want to make money. It is a battle with the advertising and temptations that surround us. A century ago you wouldn't have seen such a push for useless calories. Of course there were "smoke for your health" ads then according to my Grandma!

This week marks my 4 year anniversary of starting my weight loss journey. I am so glad I did.

Frankly, having a bit of an attitude towards bad food choices works for me. I won't waste my limited calories (or money) on junk. If I have a square of chocolate - it is really good chocolate (current favorite is ChocoLove Almonds and Sea Salt in Dark Chocolate) and I can stop at 2 squares/day. On the other hand my sister has no self-control and can inhale a few pounds of gummy bears in a couple days - so she can't even bring them into the house.
    You have to know yourself.

As to Charlie - I haven't seen her posts since she left here. I don't know if she is even still on MFP.