Exercise and Weight Loss Challenges

Replies

• dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Mary! Sorry, I have been absent too! I have gained 9 lbs over the past few months and it has to stop! I have a mini Challenge. 10lbs by Christmas. Want to join me? I will report weekly here. More if you want to.

Starting weight 173.5 November 20
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,678 Member
    Wow Marney--10 pounds by Christmas. You go girl! I am recording again (as of today) and intend to go no farther with my out of control eating and gaining, but let's see what I can do. Just can commit to not gaining in the next month. Intend to start again seriously to lose in the New Year.

I've been missing in action for about a month, 2 months? And managed to gain back all but 12 pounds of my 50 pounds lost (still resting on my laurels). From now, November 28th through December 31st, let's support each other to hold the line (or better) during the remainder of the holidays. Let's start a new challenge on January 5th!
  • dasher602014
    I am with you, Gayle. I have gained two more lbs while dieting! So switching things up abit. Still trying for the 10lbs by Christmas.

Agreed. new challenge in the new year. Strikes me that we all need to get back here more regularly as we are back sliding without each other.
  • gaylebodine
    Great Marney, so we have each other's backs! I commit to recording and curtailing my night eating. Stress eating after dinner is what has caused the gain, for the most part. Thanks for being here girlfriend!
  • dasher602014
    My eating is before dinner. I did not make it today. But dinner was light so I am hopeful that my cashew diving won't knock me off too much. Hope you did well today.
  • gaylebodine
    Happy New Year! I've really eaten all my anxiety in 2017 and managed to gain back almost all the weight I've lost on mfp. Starting again to begin to peel off some of the pounds during January and February. This challenge goes from Friday, January 5th to Friday, March 2nd. Choose your weight loss strategies and let's check in each Friday.
    I've started back with Weight Watchers because I need the face to face accountability and strict guidelines.
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Happy New Year!

1/5 137.0 The holidays were challenging. I'm a bit more than I like to see (133-135). It may not seem like much but I don't want to let it slip by. It's great weather for soup - filling and healthy.

Some of my activities have been cancelled due to winter storms so I'm glad to have the treadmill. Folkdancing tonight though the -6 degree wind chill may scare away some people. We don't usually get such long stretches of arctic weather in the mid-Atlantic area.
  • gaylebodine
    1/5: 207 Started at Weight Watcher's yesterday. Not with it yet, need to get into the groove. But felt I needed adult supervision at this point. I've gained all by 12 pounds of the 50 pounds I lost a few years aback. It did take me a couple years to gain it back and I would have not ballooned if I'd started riding herd on myself as soon as I was two pounds up. Think that is one of the secrets for keeping it off. Anyway, glad to see you here Pam.
  • maryschwartzroby
    maryschwartzroby Posts: 160 Member
    Thank for the encouragement .Unfortunately after writing this in Nov. I haven't been on here until now. This is my day 1 and I'm taking your encouraging to get me through it. I will need to refer to it often for inspiration.
  • gaylebodine
    Thank for the encouragement .Unfortunately after writing this in Nov. I haven't been on here until now. This is my day 1 and I'm taking your encouraging to get me through it. I will need to refer to it often for inspiration.

Mary, doesn't support of the tribe make all the difference?
  • gaylebodine
    1/05/18: 207
    1/12/18: 207.2 I've been faithful to recording, both for Weight Watchers and for mfp and my scale at WW yesterday showed that I was down 2.2 pounds, but today my home scale is up from the 5th. Ate a ton of salt yesterday (almost 1800 over) so I know that's what's going on. Anyway, trying to do WW "free style" and it's different. 200 zero point foods and then supposed to count 23 daily points. Just going to go through January to really get the recording habit, then back to my focus being on mfp. It worked for me before, it will work for me again. Moving, 1200 calories, lots of water, record every day. Keep in mind my goal of improved health and less trouble with joints, feet, sleep.
  • gaylebodine
    1/12/18: 207.2
    1/19/18: 205
    So slow but have been recording faithfully. Just need to be patient. Hope all of you are doing well.
  • MapDancer
    1/20/18:135.6 A step in the right direction... I increased my activity level this week and there is less temptation laying around after the holidays. I completed my annual Weight Control Registry survey, but forgot to count my trips upstairs for a week and had to do an estimate. They count a flight as 10 steps. My house has 14/flight, so after some math it is an impressive number. Of course I was doing those stairs when I weighed 180 lbs too - maybe I would have been more in a ranch house?

Good work Gayle! It sounds like you're keeping your hands busy with double recording.
    I'm not familiar with WW, though I have a friend who has been with TOPS (now in maintenance mode) for many years. As you said "adult supervision" keeps you accountable.

How are you doing Mary and Marney?

• gaylebodine
    Oh, counting stairs!! All those steps I haven't counted. Most of my steps are in the grocery store or while teaching. But still spending too much time sitting at my computer, but that is mostly job related. I've been driving myself crazy double recording so going to just focus on mfp but still going to meetings and for weigh in for another month since I've already paid for it. Glad I'm back in the habit of recording, that is really the biggest win for now.
    Yes Pam, I so agree that it is good to have holiday treats less available.
  • maryschwartzroby
    maryschwartzroby Posts: 160 Member
    I don't know why I can't commit. It's like I want to but having a hard time to actually do it. Gee, it shouldn't even be a problem.
  • MapDancer
    So I've been thinking about this...
    If it was easy everyone would be able to do it, but on the other hand, if it's so hard, no one would succeed.
    So, it's somewhere in between.

How bad do you want it?
    You really need to define that. Because that is your response when junk food is in front of you.
    That is your response get up and take a walk.

It becomes easier to make good choices when you see results.

I was finally motivated thinking about future health issues and seeing photos of myself. MFP made it so easy, but I am a data person at heart. The first 6 months I did it on my PC, running up and down the stairs to enter my meals! Then, my reward was getting a smartphone so I could use the barcode reader.

I'm glad to be part of the National Weight Control Survey since I often see their stats (including mine!) quoted in articles. Yes, most of us eat breakfast and do an hour of activity/day etc.

oh well..
    I wish I could invite you'all over to watch Korean dramas while we take turns on the treadmill!
  • gaylebodine
    1/27/18: 205.2
    I see a pattern! But not a meaningful pattern. I am still doing very well all day but things get rocky around 7:00. Any suggestions?
  • MapDancer
    Great progress Gayle!
    so my evening suggestion...
    Dump out a kitchen drawer, vacuum out the crumbs, only put back what you really use, temp store useful (but not used recently) items in a bin to see if you miss them. Donate/recycle/trash the rest.
    Repeat.
    Keeps you busy till bedtime!
  • gaylebodine
    1/27/18: 205.2
    2/02/18: 205.6

Re: my problem with night eating after a "good" day. The drawer does need to be cleaned, but I work every evening on my online class while watching the news from 5 - 10. Fine until after dinner. But sitting, working I just get the need to munch. Think a big bowl of popcorn might be the solution. I've tried eating a bag of lettuce. Maybe munching on frozen vegis (cooked, of course) might be good. Think I could also shift dinner to 7:00 rather than 5 so less hours before bed. I have my standard food before bed: prune, activia yogurt, 1 slice toast. I figure it in at the beginning of the day. But, like I said, I am on track all day without cravings, until the evening.

I guess I'm not alone. I did a search on "How to Stop Snacking at Night" and pulled up a bunch of suggestions.
    https://www.bewell.com/blog/how-to-stop-snacking-at-night/
    I think there are two ideas I will try: glutamine caps throughout the day and evening, every 4 hours. Problem is you are supposed to take on an empty stomach I often eat every 4 hours because of hypoglycemia. I get shaky if I don't eat, so often do not have an empty stomach. The second thing is "closing" the kitchen after dinner. Except for my activia and toast, that is. Just ran across another discussion group that swears by a bowl of cheerios and a multivitamin to avoid night eating, lol. But don't actually have a "night eating" problem (waking up to eat) but rather a problem with wanting to binge eat after dinner while being compulsion free during the day. I know I am stressed by the news but keeps my grading from being so boring and feel like I need to stay informed of the ridiculous things that are going on in US politics. It is so crazy that if one misses a day (I do give myself the weekend off) you miss what's happening in the soap opera, so to speak. I love mysteries so will continue to experiment and research.
  • MapDancer
    Cooking Light Here's Why it's so Hard to Stop Binge Eating at Night

I think article has similar info on night time eating. I know that sometimes I can almost skip lunch or eat it really late and not miss it. But some nights I find myself nibbling before bedtime - like I'm trying to find what I really want to eat.

2/2/18: 135.4