• maryschwartzroby
    maryschwartzroby Posts: 160 Member
    I'm at my highest weight. so sad.
  • maryschwartzroby
    maryschwartzroby Posts: 160 Member
    7/6/2018 -237.0
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Hi Mary, You must be feeling discouraged...
    Do you have any idea what is sabotaging your efforts?
    There is an endless overwhelming supply of hints, strategies, fads to loss weight as you probably know online.

Start simple. For one day eat 3 healthy meals and snack that fit in your chosen calorie range. And don't start with the unrealistic 1200/day! Then move for 30 - 60 min. - anything counts. Walk, dance in front of your tv, clean out the hall closet. At the end of the day, think about it. Did you really starve? Can you do it again tomorrow?
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,678 Member
    6/08/18: 197.6
    7/16/18: 197.8
    I've been missing in action but back on the wagon. Breakthrough: put a swim suit on for the first time in years and it's not a pretty sight but maybe I can get my butt to water aerobics soon. My energy has been terrible but need to get back to chinese medicine as soon as I can afford to. That is the last time I remember feeling good physically. Happy for the most part emotionally, my new obsession is making floral mandalas. wt5sp5e3ppvs.jpg
  • gaylebodine
    This is a drawing (watercolor pencils) of a Moon Carrot plant I recently saw at the Denver Botanic Gardens. The pink is a bud that will bloom into white puffs (moons). The leaf, although blue-green in color, is like a carrot's.
  • MapDancer
    Oh, that so delightful Gayle! I had to look up Moon Carrot. I could see a resemblance to Queen Ann's Lace (wild carrot) and just learned a lot more.

My older son came for a weekend visit as part of a business trip. We hadn't seen him since Christmas. He is 36 and the past few years had probably been just over the BMI obese line. This time we could see a definite reduction. It was noticeable that he only ate 2 pancakes for breakfast. But, as I know with my DH, guys won't talk about their weight.

My daughter was able to bring it up when he was over at her house. He said that he has started MFP and lost 10 lbs so far. Since she is now using it (again) she could tweak a bit more out of him. He said he is working on portion control to start and it seems to be working.
  • gaylebodine
    Yes, the flower head is like Queen Ann's Lace to me, although the actual flowers and buds are different. I did not know that QAL was wild carrot! So great that your son started on mfp! Very inspiring. My son tends to be a emotional eater, like I am, and at 21 has what looks like a beer belly (he doesn't drink) from eating tortilla chips mindlessly, and eating in general when he is not hungry. I feel guilty. He has never known me except for as someone who is on a diet (I had him when I was 46) and has learned anxiety about food from me, I'm afraid. But know, without saying anything, that I will be a good example for him if I can get this back under control.
  • gaylebodine
    7/21/18: 197.8
  • gaylebodine
    7/27/18: 199.8
    Yes, fell off the wagon again. Back to it. Hope you all are doing well. Btw, my son is doing better with food. He is paying attention to portions and walking daily. Now, to follow his lead...
  • MapDancer
    8/3/18: 136.8

I find it interesting..
    I like variety in my diet and enjoy baking - freezing in portions keeps in under control most of the time.

But my sister eats what I call the "Dog Food Diet". She eats twice a day - eggs and toast for breakfast and veggies and ramen noodles for dinner - same thing every day. Except for the occasional 3 lbs of gummy bears or eating out with her neighbor or lots of wine when her friend stays with her...

We've both lost the same amount of weigh, though she didn't do it continuously and took longer, and we are maintaining it.

You have to find what works for you!
  • gaylebodine
    That is so interesting about the diet comparison between you and your sister. My sister is vegetarian but does extreme sports (miles of bike riding and/or miles of walking). She is 3 years younger and much healthier, at least physically (I'm being mean). I think my diet is more like your sisters. I eat my oatmeal or egg beaters every morning, and love ramen/vegis/chicken. But I'm bad with my night eating again. Not giving up though and no gummy bears or wine.
    8/03/18: 199.3
  • gaylebodine
    y3zqb9e8mwff.jpg
    Here is my latest Lily Mandala. Relates to fertility, purification, fragrance, beauty.
  • MapDancer
    Gayle - your circle series is wonderful! I realized I'm often drawn to working in circles too!

ojllosin4rrw.jpg
  • gaylebodine
    Just beautiful Pam! A window into an undersea world. Did you create this digitally? Or is it collage. Just love the blue.
  • gaylebodine
    8/17/18: 198.3
    Feel a bit back on track. A protein breakfast seems to be key.
  • gaylebodine
    34v6jm8r38tj.jpg
    This is a Coneflower Mandala. Since it is related to Echinacea, a popular herbal immune system booster, it means Strength or Health in the language of flowers. The brightness lifts my spirits as well, and helps with immunity against depression.
  • MapDancer
    8/21/18: 136.8
    Orange and pink are a perfect summer combination! Oddly enough my dogs have favored eating echinacea leaves. I think they picked it up from Soleil - she also liked yellow dandelion flowers. We don't treat the yard so there is plenty to choose from!

My sea turtles are a embroidery collage using batik fabrics. You can barely see the clear glass beads. It's almost 15" diameter.
  • gaylebodine
    Just beautiful! I love how that one leaf creeps over the edge. Glass beads, wow, wish I could see it in person. I'm doing a Great Round workshop about mandalas online. Just finished my mandala for Stage One, "Resting in Darkness" or "The Void". Perfect for Fall.tb4j8l7ka9md.jpg
  • gaylebodine
    Let's do our Fall Challenge from September 7th until November 9th. 9 weeks if I am counting correctly. Let's have a separate challenge for November 9th through January 4th, to cover the holidays.

Anyway, I sort of maintained during this last challenge, lots of ups and downs and struggles. But, in terms of the long haul still want my focus to be on health and feeling lighter.

8/17/18: 198.3
    9/07/18: 197.3
  • MapDancer
    9/8/2018: 132.4 OR 137.8?

My longtime digital scale in the master bathroom, aka the white one, saw me through my whole weigh loss journey. When my son moved I nudged him to take the analog scale in the hall bathroom. I bought a new digital scale, aka the glass one, for the hall bathroom. It seemed to consistently read 1/2 lb more, no biggie - it was for company anyway! Once I weighed at the Dr office and came home to find the same weight on my white scale - so felt it was accurate.

But lately the white one has been acting up, taking longer to read, and seeming to be a bit low - even though I like the result I suspected that it wasn't accurate. And the glass one now is reading 5+lbs different. For DH it is almost 20 lb off.

So I need to find a beam scale to check my weight and hurry home without sweating too much!

But it seems that I have a bit of work to do to get back to my healthy BMI - below 136.6.
    Fortunately after a quiet summer two classes start this coming week. Bellydancing on Monday and Shine (dancer-cize) on Tuesday.

Gayle: I really like your fall mandala - and was relieved that there isn't a spi*** in the center. They bring out the worst language in me! LOL! I gave up on weeding the garden around the mailbox years ago when I confronted a large web with a large spi***. Now it's part of DH's yardwork!