vegans and vegetarians gaining

Options
hey, i'd love to friend some vegans and vegetarians that are focusing on maintaining or gaining. many people i've found on here use veganism as an excuse for restriction so i'd love to friend like minded people, properly fueling our bodies. my goal isn't gaining but maintaining. i typically maintain on anywhere from 2000-3000 cals.

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to cut another 1-2 pounds at the moment, but I'm planning another bulk this winter. I'm ovo-lacto veg.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    ovo-lacto veggie gaining here. :drinker:
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    In for the ideas! I eat meat but was vegetarian for years. Right now, I'd love to eat less meat.
  • 0Seattleite0
    0Seattleite0 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I are vegetarian and he would like to gain ~10 lbs, but we are struggling to make that happen! We eat pretty balanced, lots of veggies, a fair amount of carbs, and trying to increase foods with lots of protein (nuts and beans, etc). Any tips on healthy things we could add to his diet to help him gain would be appreciated! I think part of his problem is that he likes refined carbs, and eats them more than whole grain. He also doesn't like to eat a lot in a single meal, he will sometimes have just a fruit and yogurt smoothie for breakfast...doesn't seem substantial enough for someone trying to gain weight.

Also, he commutes via bike (~10 miles per day) and lifts weights -- he is all lean muscle.
  • yogaveg
    yogaveg Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    @0seattle one of the things i've found most important is really making sure to get in a substantial breakfast! i like to aim for a bowl of oats, fruit, nut butter and maybe some milk. smoothies are also so helpful because you can load it up with a top of nutrient and calorie dense foods. it's okay to not eat huge meals as long as your fiancé makes sure to eat frequently. i always carry around with me some raw protein powder, a piece of fruit, maybe a granola bar, and whatever else strikes my fancy! and trail mix!! also, cooked fruit and veg tend to be easier for me to eat more of because they aren't so bulky
  • inigovalentine
    inigovalentine Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian gaining here, eating 3000-3500 a day.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    ovo-lacto veg. maybe someday i'll gain. i'm working on it.
  • bicyclebee
    bicyclebee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yay I'm so happy a topic like this exists! I'm a long term vegan without a specific weight goal (mfp made me pick one when I signed up but it's pretty arbitrary), I just want to get stronger and more fit, I'm assuming I'll more or less maintain along the way. I'm also new and would love some veggie friends!
  • LadyTalulah
    LadyTalulah Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Life-long vegetarian gaining at 2500 a day (:

Although my goal is definitely to gain weight, I'm doing it as healthily as possible! Best way to get those extra calories in is through nuts and shakes in my opinion!!
  • yogaveg
    yogaveg Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    yes! my two fav vegan protein drinks also have meal replacement drinks that have more substantial energy in them which can totally help with gaining. for me, when i was gaining on a mostly vegan diet i just made sure to listen to my body cues and cravings (mostly) and fuel myself properly. Lots of meals and lots of snacks! It's totally possible to gain, both unhealthily and healthily on a vegan diet. now that i'm working on gaining muscle i'm excited to see the scale go up! too bad mfp as a whole seems to be geared towards weight loss
  • Benjinkan
    Benjinkan Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Ovo-lacto veggie here! I'm not specifically gaining, but I use Pulsin pea protein powder - 82% protein and largely tasteless. I tend to dump a couple of spoonfuls into any kind of sauce I'm cooking - it thickens the sauce up a bit but no other effect. Easy way to boost calories and protein intake. B)
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Another ovo-lacto veg checking in. Been cutting (not by design) the past two months, back into gain mode for a while. Target to add 10-15 lbs by January, and reassess from there.
  • graciiekim
    graciiekim Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Quasi-vegetarian (aka pescatarian) here at 1800-2000 a day (seems like a little, but I do have a very petite figure)
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Currently trying to drop a few pounds while I'm injured and can't work out, but once I'm recovered I'm starting on a bulk. I'm technically a pescetarian, but I only eat shrimp, crab, and lobster, and I do it VERY rarely. Other than a few eggs a week, I rarely eat dairy products either. I went ahead and added you! :)
  • dalecharles99
    Options
    the best tasting vegan protein I have found is Plant Fusion. I mix the Chocolate Raspberry with either almond or soy milk. It is very easy to digest and two scoops has 40 gm of protein. Shakes are an important part of gaining weight for me. If you do dairy or eggs, ( I had to add low fat dairy back into my diet), pizza is huge calories; I take an Amy's pizza, dump on a bunch of extra veggies like mushrooms and then add a cup of skim mozzarella on top. That is a solid 1200 calories right there. My best advice is to be creative and look to boost the calories in food you already like. Lots of high calorie vegetarian options in Asian cuisine as well. Good luck.