good or no?

Options
so I was working out for a while 6 days a week alternating chest and back, shoulders and arms, and lower body working out each group twice a week and it was working well. I'm in the military and recently PCS'd and so my new job office doesn't afford me the two or so hours a day I'd like to work out. would I still see decent gains if I was to break the workouts down into day 1 arms day 2 chest day 3 back etc. and cut my workout time down more?

Replies

• Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    For sure! I alternate a 5-6 day schedule and only hit one muscle group on that and have had HUGE gains in just 3 months. And the workouts are at most 45 minutes
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    No. Those are browsing splits and you're not using your time wisely. Stuff like that is more for advanced lifting or guys juicing. Do a full body workout 3x per day. Ignore the guy above. He doesn't know much.

I assume you mean 3x/week...

Anyway, I do a 4 day/week upper/lower split. I do chest/mid back-focused; quad/glute-focused; shoulder/lat-focused; and low back (deadlifts)/hamstring-focused days. Works well for me--I can get through in a workout in as little as 35 minutes or as much as 90 minutes if I have more time.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would suggest either upper/lower split, or 3 days/week full body. You don't need more than an hour to get a great workout, just focus on the big 4 compound lifts and you don't need to do much more.

Check out Starting strength, stronglifts 5x5 or Wendler 5/3/1. All great programs that should take 40-60 mins/day 3-4 days/week.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    No. Those are browsing splits and you're not using your time wisely. Stuff like that is more for advanced lifting or guys juicing. Do a full body workout 3x per day. Ignore the guy above. He doesn't know much.

I assume you mean 3x/week...

Anyway, I do a 4 day/week upper/lower split. I do chest/mid back-focused; quad/glute-focused; shoulder/lat-focused; and low back (deadlifts)/hamstring-focused days. Works well for me--I can get through in a workout in as little as 35 minutes or as much as 90 minutes if I have more time.
    Yeah, I meant 3x per week. An upper/lower split is nice too. Whatever you do it has to be a well designed program.

Pfft...If I had time I'd LOVE a 3x/day program!!!

I agree...3x fully body or 4x/week upper/lower split would make best use of your time. Both methods use each muscle group multiple times a week, just in different capacities.
  • TrainerLB
    TrainerLB Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I like working synergistic muscles together on the same day. My current split is: Back + bis, chest + tris, glutes + hams, shoulders + abs. You're double hitting each muscle group and a 4-day rotation sometimes allows you to hit the same muscle group 2xs in a week. Works well for me.