lost 20 lbs but I still don't look or feel any different

I started my workout at 210 lbs. I currently weigh about 190 lbs. So I have no idea why after about 20 pounds of weight loss I still don't feel or look any different when I look at myself in the mirror. I take pictures of myself once a week and I still don't see any much of a difference. has anyone else had this problem? If so how much weight did you need to lose in order to finally start seeing any sort of results in the mirror? It's just so discouraging to lose all this weight but not feel any different or seem to see any difference.

Replies

• dieter1200
    dieter1200 Posts: 56 Member
    for me it took 15lbs to see a difference in my face. It took 25lbs to see a slight difference in my body.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Wow, nice job on your loss! It can take 25-30 pounds sometimes to notice. Are you exercising as well?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    I agree with the others. Slow changes are hard to tell at first.
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Yeah, I've lost almost 50 but sometimes don't feel like there is much of a difference. People won't always tell you, because they're not sure if they should. ;) People who see you every day might not notice as much as someone who hasn't seen you since you started losing. And every body is different – it will come off in different areas first. Just keep on doing what you're doing, it's all good whether you notice the changes going on or not. :)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Take pictures wearing swimming trunks or your skivvies. You'll notice change more quickly there than in the mirror.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Hope you've noticed a difference in how your clothes fit.
    Perhaps your belt is a notch tighter?
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    I've lost 34lbs and I don't see it in my body, I see it a little in my face.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    It's not always obvious, but I bet if you take photos regularly and compare them side by side, you'll be able to see a difference. My boyfriend and I take pics of each other periodically, front with arms down and flexed, back with arms down and flexed, and side. He had no idea how much muscle he had gained in his shoulders until I showed him a photo of himself.
  • shanlivestrong
    shanlivestrong Posts: 27 Member
    I have the same problem. I'm down 32lbs total since I started in May and I don't see much of a difference. And I haven't had anybody really notice so it's frustrating. But I'm not going to let that distract me from my ultimate goal. I figure I'll start noticing when I'm 15 more lbs down. Try to think of it as a compliment. You look and feel better now. Maybe the people around you didn't see you the way you saw yourself when you were heavier. Idk just a more positive way to think about it...
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    To put this in perspective, I started around 235/240 and really didn't see a big difference in my body until I was around 190. So better than 40lbs lost.

It really depends on how and where you carry your weight.

Now that I'm getting closer to my goal and my body fat percentage is decreasing and nearing healthy ranges, 10lbs makes a huge difference in my appearance.

Basically, when you still have high body fat, it's harder to tell that you have lost weight. As you get closer to your goal, small drops will become much more noticeable.

Stick with it, and take measurements, not just pictures.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Look back at old photos of yourself - Your sure see a difference then!!!!

Fab work! Keep it up! Your doing great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • BlackStarlight
    BlackStarlight Posts: 554 Member
    I have lost 30 and trust me I know where you're coming from but don't get discouraged. You've done amazing. Out of everyone in your life you're the last person who will see the difference. Because you look at yourself every day and it's hard to see. I can't see one either but I know it's there. It may also take friends and family time to see too. But keep going. One morning you'll look in the mirror and you will see it.
  • alanbyamiii
    alanbyamiii Posts: 9 Member
    You won't see a difference the way other people see the difference in you. Plus you'll notice clothing fitting different, I'm sure. I was down over 60lb at one point, and saw no difference in myself. Though I felt much better, and people commented all the time.
    I find that your body doesn't change as quickly as you lose weight. So give it time!
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    I've lost 34 and can barely tell when I look at myself, and it's only been the past couple pounds that others notice. Pictures help me but only if I see them side by side. Height, and how you carry weight totally play a role. For example, I'm 6', so I have more to lose to make a difference.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    A lot of it is a mental game. I'm down almost 50. I'm out of plus sized clothing, down 2 sizes. I KNOW I'm smaller. But I don't feel that way. It's getting better, and I'm starting to focus on how I feel. Like the other day I ran around with the kids and didn't have to stop as soon as I usually do.

Who knows, maybe I'll always FEEL fat even when I'm not. But I know I'm better than I was.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Took me 25 lbs to see a difference in my clothing and I'm short at 5'2". Took 50 lbs for it to be really noticeable. I still forget that my body isn't 200 lbs any more. It's all mind-games.

Celebrate the scale weight changes, and maybe start using a tape measure every 2-3 weeks and then celebrate clothing size changes later on, but I wouldn't rely on your eyes or how you feel necessarily.