Moderate Vs Strenuous Exercising

Options
dbanks80
dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
What do you define moderate versus strenuous exercise. I exercise 6 days a week (6 hours), 3 of those days are BootCamp sessions with other 3 days running, elyptical or stairmaster. I have a desk job. Would that be considered moderate exercising?

Replies

• jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You workout 6 hours per day, 6 days a week?
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I swim about three hours a week for 6,100 yards. That's moderate.
  • michaelachallis
    michaelachallis Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I believe OP means 6 hours total a week.
    Sounds like moderate exercise to me *shrug*
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I find this pretty helpful...

Perceived-Exertion-Chart.jpg
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    It would depend on your intensity during the workouts. When I go hiking or walking I generally consider those light to moderate workouts, depending on my speed. However, when I do HIIT or run, etc, I consider that to be strenuous.
  • dbanks80
    Options
    jvs125 wrote: »
    You workout 6 hours per day, 6 days a week?

6 hours per week.

• FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure they mean 6 hours a week, about an hour a day, I think that counts as strenuous in most TDEE calculator sites
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Pretty sure they mean 6 hours a week, about an hour a day, I think that counts as strenuous in most TDEE calculator sites

even if said exercise is walking?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    Most people wouldn't recover from strenuous exercise by 24 hours to be able to work out again. 3 days of strenuous exercise would leave a least a day of FULL (no exercise) recovery in between. So if you're able to work out every with no reduction in current intensity, then more than likely, both sessions are moderate for you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I've done BC with my wife to see what it's all about. Based on the gym I went to I would say it's definitely strenuous for an untrained individual. At some point as your fitness level improves I've seen individuals that damn near walk through the class and it's probably moderate at that point. You do a lot and BC can be very strenuous and it's very aerobic intense as it is; I would consider either cutting some of your other cardio OR 1 or 2 BC classes a week. Recovery is a large part of improving your fitness and as long as your nutrition is good it won't impact your weight loss (assuming that's your goal, if not disregard).
  • dbanks80
    Options
    My workouts are very arduous where I am burning 600-700 calories each time I work out. So I am thinking strenuous.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    My workouts are very arduous where I am burning 600-700 calories each time I work out. So I am thinking strenuous.

Yeah I'm sure it is; BC is not easy by any means.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    suggestion: downgrade from "strenuous" to the next lighter. this way, you won't overstate exercise in the logging.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Most people wouldn't recover from strenuous exercise by 24 hours to be able to work out again. 3 days of strenuous exercise would leave a least a day of FULL (no exercise) recovery in between. So if you're able to work out every with no reduction in current intensity, then more than likely, both sessions are moderate for you.

Do you think most people can sustain "strenuous" for an hour?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I would think after an hour continuous, the definition of strenuous for that person moves back.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I would think after an hour continuous, the definition of strenuous for that person moves back.

hmmm... interesting point.
  • dbanks80
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    I've done BC with my wife to see what it's all about. Based on the gym I went to I would say it's definitely strenuous for an untrained individual. At some point as your fitness level improves I've seen individuals that damn near walk through the class and it's probably moderate at that point. You do a lot and BC can be very strenuous and it's very aerobic intense as it is; I would consider either cutting some of your other cardio OR 1 or 2 BC classes a week. Recovery is a large part of improving your fitness and as long as your nutrition is good it won't impact your weight loss (assuming that's your goal, if not disregard).

My fitness level drastically improved from Boot Camp because my calorie burns are lower the more fit i get 400 cals per session. So I do 1 mile run to get the 600 calorie burns. So that I can eat more. LOL! But for my initial question is to make sure my TDEE is correct which with moderate exericse i selected has me at 2189 cals.

• jacksonpt
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »

My fitness level drastically improved from Boot Camp because my calorie burns are lower the more fit i get 400 cals per session. So I do 1 mile run to get the 600 calorie burns. So that I can eat more. LOL! But for my initial question is to make sure my TDEE is correct which with moderate exericse i selected has me at 2189 cals.

If that's the reason you asked, then I agree with the previous poster who suggested choosing a lower option to be safe. Estimate conservatively and most people run into fewer problems. So if it's a question of moderate vs intense, choose moderate to be safe. Use it for a few months and see how your expected results compare to your actual results, and go from there.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

This is a common misconception...perception of an exercise or activity as "strenuous" just because you are out of shape or untrained doesn't actually make that activity strenuous...it just alters the individual's perception and means that you are untrained or out of shape.

If I took someone of the same stats as me out on a 30 mile ride at a moderate pace of 15 MPH, it is likely that person would perceive that activity as strenuous...whereas for me, it's just something I do for *kitten* and giggles...but in either case, we're going to burn roughly the same calories...the actual activity itself isn't more strenuous for the untrained individual...they're just untrained.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Do you think most people can sustain "strenuous" for an hour?
    For the average person...................no. Athletes possibly. Elite athletes, yes which is why they are elite athletes.

I could see an average person possibly lasting 30 minutes if it's truly strenuous exercise. Lots of people train somewhat hard, but if they aren't practically being dragged off the floor and the end and gasping for air, the exercise was more than likely moderate (7-8 on Perception Chart).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png