Seafood

Options
jcash6
jcash6 Posts: 35 Member
Hi. One of my resolutions is to eat more healthy seafood this year. I already cook salmon quite a bit. Does anyone have any easy recipes for other types of seafood?

Replies

• andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Shrimp cocktail. Shrimp, cooked and cold, and cocktail sauce, homemade using horseradish, catsup and a twist of lemon or lime. Delish and especially refreshing in the summer months!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Sea Scallops are actually really easy to prepare. Get 4 large sea scallops per person. Thaw if frozen, and pat dry. Season with either salt/pepper, or sometimes I do a little lemon zest, coarse salt, and red pepper flakes. Heat about a tbsp of olive oil in a heavy bottom skillet - needs to be really hot. Add the scallops to the pan (don't crowd them). Don't fuss with them, they will need about 2-3 minutes on that side to develop a nice sear. They should "release" from the pan when they are ready to flip, if they are sticking, then they aren't ready to flip yet. Flip and allow for the same time on the other side. I like to serve them over pasta with olive oil, butter, garlic, crushed red pepper, lemon juice, and sauteed asparagus. They will be done in less than the amount of time it takes to boil the water for the pasta...
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Scallops seared in butter, steamed or boiled oysters (clams) or raw if you like that kind of thing with a dash of hot sauce, shrimp (steamed or boiled) is always a go to, tuna (fresh is much better than canned). Fish, fish and more fish. Salmon is the best, try tilapia, or go upscale with mahi mahi.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Shrimp are great in salads, stir-fry, tacos, soups, spring rolls(fresh rice paper style). Here is a stir-fry.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/03/shrimp-with-mushrooms-and-bamboo-shoots.html

Shrimp+with+Mushrooms+and+Bamboo+Shoots.JPG
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    This is very simple, but, we like baked cod, tilapia, or hake. Just dab a little lite butter, a squeeze of lemon juice, a little salt or seasoning salt and bake at 350 degrees until not translucent. I also like to add little terriyaki marinade or creaole seasoning sometimes.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    shrimp...mmm. had shrimp stir fry last night.
  • beachlover83
    beachlover83 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love this Spicy Tilapia bowl. Made it last night with some cauliflower rice. I usually add more bell pepper than it calls for, and last time I didn't add the black beans, but either way is good. http://www.jocooks.com/healthy-eating/spicy-fish-taco-bowls/
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Last night, I tossed shrimp with a bit of Lawry's salt and smoked paprika. I used the leftovers this morning in an egg white scramble. I also like tilapia grilled with various flavors - Old Bay Seasoning, soy sauce and ginger, butter with garlic and lemon, etc. I've tried to get behind tuna salad with avocado instead of mayo, but haven't found the right recipe yet. Scallops are amazing, but can be incredibly expensive depending on where you live.
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I love all of the things already suggested but crab legs and live lobsters are also very very easy and very very tasty to prepare yourself just a crab boil packet and boiling water then after about 30-45 minutes depending on size- enjoy with or without butter and lemon
  • slomo22
    slomo22 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Shrimp.You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it. - Bubba
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    slomo22 wrote: »
    Shrimp.You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it. - Bubba

hehehe
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    jcash6 wrote: »
    Hi. One of my resolutions is to eat more healthy seafood this year. I already cook salmon quite a bit. Does anyone have any easy recipes for other types of seafood?

There is sooo much that is sooo simple to do. I work in catering and we specialize in seafood. Unfortunately there is a lot of seafood that is not so good for you, some salmon great some not so much, some tuna great, some not at all. Shrimp good, shrimp bad.

example, Farmed Atlantic salmon, what color is it? orange...yes from the food coloring they add to the feed which includes antibiotics. without the food coloring it is actually GREY! seen it, yuk. (there are a few exceptions). typically raised in open pen in the ocean.

If you are cooking salmon switch to sockeye (it is all wild, no farmed they won't breed), It is the only salmon I eat and i eat it almost every day. It is red because of it's food. It eats shrimp and krill, small creatures, so very low mercury. From Alaska is best. There is some great farmed coho (closed pen.system, no antibiotics) and also some great rainbow trout which to my keen nose has a hint of bacon when you fry it. Lots of other good salmon too just sockeye tastes best to me.

As far as recipes go i will leave that to others. I like most of my seafood with salt and pepper. Check out the following site to see what is good and sustainable:

http://www.seachoice.org/search/
    http://www.wwf.ca/conservation/oceans/sustainable_seafood/
  • Tmm10910
    Tmm10910 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    http://growingupgabel.com/shrimp-etouffee/

We made this the other day, cutting the butter in half. Made 4 servings and was delicious!