Weight loss patterns-is this normal or even ok?

I had packed on the weight and touched an obese BMI. Middle aged and fairly sedentary (desk job, no regular exercise, no kids or pets), I have an Achilles injury which is exacerbated by my weight. So, I did the BMR and TDEE and took off 500. Not hungry or having any trouble sustaining it. Weighing absolutely everything including garlic cloves and drops of soy sauce I stir fry with.

Ten days in today. Week one- a ridiculous 2.9kgs (6.5 lb) lost! Huh?? Most of this on the first 3 days. Now nearing the end of week 2, no more loss, just spent this week in a plateau.

Is my body just 'catching up' by processing this early (possible water) loss but still 'working' so to speak, or do I have a problem?

Be kind to the old lady! :smile:

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    This is a very common pattern of weight loss. As you said, the first week was largely water weight lost as your body released all that fluid it had been holding onto. It's pretty common to see less of a loss or a slight stall in the second week. Give it another week or two before you worry about it :smile:
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    This is a very common pattern of weight loss. As you said, the first week was largely water weight lost as your body released all that fluid it had been holding onto. It's pretty common to see less of a loss or a slight stall in the second week. Give it another week or two before you worry about it :smile:

You beat me to it. This perfect advice.^^^
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Weight loss isn't linear ...it's fits and starts ...don't worry about
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Yep, what previous posters said. This is really common. When I started I lost about the same amount in the first 10 days. Now it's coming off a little bit slower. As long as you keep seeing a steady drop in your weight I wouldn't worry.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member

Seconding this.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    edited January 2015
    5qabucediqt4.jpg

Good heavens yes! I weigh every day. This is my weight loss since the end of September to today. Lots of bouncing around and jumps up and down. It's the trend I care about.
  • mezeade
    mezeade Posts: 19
    Thanks!! Makes sense, just keeps you motivated when the scales actually move.

Noelfigart1, that graph is amazing!! Even with all the jumping around I can see you're on a steady course downward.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    It's normal. Your body is basically trying to figure out what the heck is going on. It'll get back to it.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    mezeade wrote: »
    Thanks!! Makes sense, just keeps you motivated when the scales actually move.

Noelfigart1, that graph is amazing!! Even with all the jumping around I can see you're on a steady course downward.

Exactly! Two weeks is much too short of a time. Keep going. Be consistent. Make your own graph and also start tracking your measurements. You WILL see results!
  • sssgilber
    sssgilber Posts: 90 Member
    I lost 9 pounds my first week, all water I'm sure, due to my prior lousy eating habits. But it was 9 pounds I wasn't carrying around anymore.

Noelfigart1-Did you create that chart? Is the format available somewhere? It's amazing, both the design and the content!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Congrats on your weight loss. :)
  • miratime
    miratime Posts: 19 Member
    edited January 2015
    sssgilber wrote: »
    Noelfigart1-Did you create that chart? Is the format available somewhere? It's amazing, both the design and the content!

Pretty sure that's the Hacker's Diet website. Good stuff! Weightgrapher is sort of similar.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    That is from The Hackers Diet Online. But you can do that pretty easily in Excel, too.
  • reachingforarainbow
    reachingforarainbow Posts: 224 Member
    Basically what is happening is that your body first runs through its glycogen stores (glycogen holds water. For most people, its around 5 lbs) before your body starts burning your fat. But hey, your getting closer to burning it off, so keep up the good work!
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Everyone above has given you solid answers.

Also thank you for having a solid weight loss plan. Many newbies start out with drastically low calorie goals which are usually not sustainable.

BTW, 45 does not qualify you as an old lady. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Just keep doing what you're doing, it will come.