diabetic breakfasts

Options
hi, i am on a long long weight loss journey and am looking for different breakfast ideas i eat turkey bacon egg whites and mushrooms right now but that gets boring and sometimes i dont feel like the same thing , i am looking for any shakes cereals or other idea for breakfasts i used to skip breakie but now realise i enjoy feeling full to start the day so if any other diabetics have any ideas or any one with knowledge of diabetes can help i would be grateful thanks sue

Replies

• fish2find
    fish2find Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed as diabetic, Im still learning and exploring. My typical breakfast is boring but works well for me.
    1 cup cheerios
    1/2 cup non fat milk
    1 small banana
    1 toast Eureka Baking Company - Organic Top Seed

Some days I add 1 tbsp Trader Joes - Unsweetened, Salted , Creamy Peanut Butter

I switch out the banana for apples (with cinnamon) sometimes.

Once a week I do 2 poached eggs and toast with the milk. (My bonus meal) shoots the cholesterol totals off the charts. I feel all rebellious, LOL
  • amisbest
    amisbest Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Sue: I am a type II diabetic and I have lost about 45 lbs. My fbs has averaged below 100 for the last 3 months so I am getting pretty good control. I have found that carbs are not good for me ...so for breakfast, I eat egg beaters with salsa (sometimes cheese) and various cut up vegies. I try to make it different every day to keep it interesting. Sometimes I just eat a cereal bar (lots of carbs) but I try to control by eating fewer carbs at lunch and dinner. By the way, bacon is really great for breakfast. Just be mindful of carbs and you will be okay. Losing weight is the best thing you can do for Diabetes, so think long term. Good luck!
  • imabeevampire
    imabeevampire Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I was diabetic when I was pregnant. I loved making scrambled eggs, all different cereals just watch the sugars in them, sometimes fruit. Omletes? Bacon sandwich? Good luck :)
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with type II... Personally I have 2 slices of whole grain toast (dry) with a medium tomato (sliced) I will throw in 10 whole almonds once a week or so. I try to keep my meals between when I get up and when I get home after work as simple as possible, so that my evening meal doesn't conflict with what my family is having... as for eggs.. there is nothing wrong with having a whole egg... shakes and smoothies are not advisable because as a diabetic you want what you ingest to digest slowly, the key to managing the condition is to prevent sugar spikes, so whole grains, fruit with "skin" like berries, apples, grapes, citrus, all sorts of colourful vegetables are good... Pasta is okay no potatoes, no rice,... and NO white bread... I am actually visiting my nutritionist again tomorrow.

think of food as fuel... and you will figure it out
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    that being said... everything in moderation... so.. potato once in a while.. okay.. rice.. why not... you can do yourself a big favour by ramping up your cardio.. I was having problems getting my daily blood sugar into the target range until I started hitting the gym regularly... getting your body's systems up and functioning is a key element.. we were never meant for a life of leisure... get up and start moving... and again.. think of food a sfuel... and you'll be just fine
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    fish2find wrote: »
    I was recently diagnosed as diabetic, Im still learning and exploring. My typical breakfast is boring but works well for me.
    1 cup cheerios
    1/2 cup non fat milk
    1 small banana

Once a week I do 2 poached eggs and toast with the milk. (My bonus meal) shoots the cholesterol totals off the charts. I feel all rebellious, LOL

That's almost a whole day's worth of carbs in one meal.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I like cottage cheese or yogurt with a small serving of fruit.
  • fish2find
    Options
    fish2find wrote: »
    1 cup cheerios
    1/2 cup non fat milk
    1 small banana

That's almost a whole day's worth of carbs in one meal.

It reflects only 67 of my 267 allowed? I rarely go over any of the set numbers. Should I be lower than what MFP has set?

• amisbest
    amisbest Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    267 carbs is way over the max. Go to this web site http://www.diabetes-warrior.net/
    This guy seems to have it figured out and has a spin on control that is non traditional and seems to make sense. He is a proponent of low carb and exercise to control diabetes.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I strongly advise ANYONE with diabetes or who has been diagnosed to be pre diabetic to consult with their doctor and nutritionist to calculate how many carbs per meal/day to eat. I see SOOOO many diabetic people on here eating WAY too many carbs. YOU NEED TO CONSULT WITH YOUR PHYSICIAN FOR THINGS LIKE THAT.

but what do i know. i only care for 2 diabetics and see what their lack of concern has done to their bodies.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    MFP's carb numbers are set way to high for a diabetic or Prediabetic. Definitely visit a nutritionist, but you should shoot for no more than 1/3 of your daily calories coming from carbs. Depending on what your doc or nutritionist say, you may have to go even lower than that to get your blood sugars under control.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    While I'm not diabetic, I try and keep my carbs low for weight loss. Eat the foods you enjoy for breakfast (I'm a fan of meat and veggies anytime). I like Atkins bars (low net carbs) when I'm on the run, omelets with veggies and meat, chicken sandwiches on a lettuce leaf instead of bread, BLT on a lettuce leaf, etc. So many options. Experiment and see what works best for you!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    hi, i am on a long long weight loss journey and am looking for different breakfast ideas i eat turkey bacon egg whites and mushrooms right now but that gets boring and sometimes i dont feel like the same thing , i am looking for any shakes cereals or other idea for breakfasts i used to skip breakie but now realise i enjoy feeling full to start the day so if any other diabetics have any ideas or any one with knowledge of diabetes can help i would be grateful thanks sue

Are you T1 or T2?

I am T2 and limit my carbs to 160 g over the course of the day (and got off all meds in less than a year). Breakfast is usually a bowl of oatmeal (1/2 c. old fashioned oats, 1 c water, 2 minutes in the microwave and a sprinl=kle of Splenda). Lately I have been eating egg muffins. To make a dozen (2 muffins is one serving): spray 12 muffin tins with nonstick spray. Place cooked meat (bacon, sausage, leftover chicken or turkey, etc) and diced vegetables (bell pepper, onion, etc) in each tin. Beat 12 eggs and pour equal amounts into each tin. Bake 325° for 35 minutes. These freeze and reheat in the microwave really well.

• qatfat
    qatfat Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic and have managed to lower my insulin intake considerably by low carbing. I have about 20 - 30 grams carb a day whilst I am losing weight but never go above 50 grams at any time.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I was a full blown insulin taking / metformin taking diabetic with a wild carb addiction. I lost the weight with an extremely low carb diet and am now off all meds for diabetes - Now that I am in maintenance I try to keep my carbs from all sources (including vegetables) to about 45% of my day - There are so many lower carb options for all meals including breakfast (I make no crust or vegetable crust quiche for the week with cheese/vegetables/meat that I can just heat up and go with as I am not a morning person) I am also a fan of overnight oatmeal (which is carb filled, but easy and manageable as I can make single serving sizes) - I don't eat a lot of pasta and rice now, preferring to sub in vegetables where at all possible.

There are a lot of options and you can customize everything to your tastes

You should also consult with your doctor to find out what is best for you in terms of total carb intake
  • fish2find
    Options
    Im kind of surprised that like five folks assume Ive gone rogue with my diabetes? I do indeed consult with my doctor and she has been extremely happy with the results Ive shown since mid December.
    My daily fastings have decreased dramatically and Ive lost 35 pounds in about 45 days. Im walking 2 to 4 miles a day and making progress.
    Why callsitlikeiseeit feels she needs to come yelling and down talking is beyond me.
    Im not saying im right, I dont know it all. But what Im doing is working and working well. Im 46 and never has a diet worked for me until now. I offer my feed back to help others, but NOT to get yelled at.
    I do appreciate the input, and do want to learn. Thats why Im here. If you need to yell and down talk folks expect to see another side of me. Or not see me at all.
  • stevecooksey
    Options
    amisbest wrote: »
    267 carbs is way over the max. Go to this web site http://www.diabetes-warrior.net/
    This guy seems to have it figured out and has a spin on control that is non traditional and seems to make sense. He is a proponent of low carb and exercise to control diabetes.

Thank you for sharing my website. :)

I just noticed 6 page referrals. :)
  • stevecooksey
    Options
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    that being said... everything in moderation...

Is the most harmful advice is the history of nutrition.

I've eaten 30g or less in total carbs for 5+ years... AND I THRIVE.

• stevecooksey
    Options
    I strongly advise ANYONE with diabetes or who has been diagnosed to be pre diabetic to consult with their doctor and nutritionist to calculate how many carbs per meal/day to eat. I see SOOOO many diabetic people on here eating WAY too many carbs. YOU NEED TO CONSULT WITH YOUR PHYSICIAN FOR THINGS LIKE THAT.

but what do i know. i only care for 2 diabetics and see what their lack of concern has done to their bodies.

The second worst advice IN HISTORY!!! Most medical industry professionals promote a 'carb up, shoot up' diabetes protocol.

That will keep diabetics on more and more drugs... and eventually insulin if not already on it.

I was ONCE drug and insulin dependent... no more.

There is A BETTER WAY!

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    actually my husbands not taking insulin, so there is no shooting up

do what you will ......