Vegetarian or Vegan protein and iron

Options
Hello,
I would like to gain weight however I'm vegetarian. What vegetarian or vegan foods are good products of iron and protein?
thanks!

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Iron-I take a multi with iron, and eat iron fortified cereal (especially malt o meal hot cereal, and total) a few times a week for iron. Plus fortified breads/pastas (they all are these days) and I eat beans pretty much everyday too, which is more iron.

Protein- Tofu, beans, lentils, split peas, soy milk, dairy products, faux meats (boca burgers are a personal favorite), protien bars/shakes, eggs, etc etc.
  • sparth9
    sparth9 Posts: 1
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I take milk, peanut butter, greek yogurt and protein drink.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Gaining weight? Try fat! Like peanut butter, oil, full fat dairy, full fat salad dressings, cheese, nutella, deep fried stuff (like french fries)
  • iwantallthefood
    Options
    Iron-I take a multi with iron, and eat iron fortified cereal (especially malt o meal hot cereal, and total) a few times a week for iron. Plus fortified breads/pastas (they all are these days) and I eat beans pretty much everyday too, which is more iron.

Protein- Tofu, beans, lentils, split peas, soy milk, dairy products, faux meats (boca burgers are a personal favorite), protien bars/shakes, eggs, etc etc.

Wow thanks for the suggestions! There's a lot to choose from :-)
  • YoshinYves
    YoshinYves Posts: 1
    edited February 2015
    Options
    As a vegan you aren't really limited in any sources of nutrients. Check out my blog for today, 90 out of 191 grams of protein came from vegan sources (ie: oats, lentils, white beans)

I try to stay away from shakes and dairy when I'm dieting (you'd already do this as a vegan) as they're disastrous when you're trying to achieve a dry, grainy look.
  • Sixonthebeach
    Sixonthebeach Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I blender spinach with orange juice and water which gives me lots of iron. I use pumpkin seed powder and pea powder for protein. Coconut oil will give you 130 calories with one tablespoon. :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Non-heme iron (non meat) does not absorb as well as heme (meat) iron - Vitamin C helps the absorption of non-heme iron significantly (think citrus fruits). Good sources on non-heme iron are pumpkin seeds, tofu, fortified cereals, spinach and tofu.

Protein: greek yogurt, tofu, seitan are some.

If you are trying to gain weight, you could use more 'fat' based protein sources such as nuts, seeds and nut and seed butters and whole eggs (assuming you eat eggs).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    YoshinYves wrote: »
    As a vegan you aren't really limited in any sources of nutrients. Check out my blog for today, 90 out of 191 grams of protein came from vegan sources (ie: oats, lentils, white beans)

I try to stay away from shakes and dairy when I'm dieting (you'd already do this as a vegan) as they're disastrous when you're trying to achieve a dry, grainy look.

You are limited in B12 as a vegan. I would suggest using nutritional yeast as its fortified with B12. Tofu and cereals usually are also.
  • TrinNZ
    TrinNZ Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I'm not vegetarian but trying to keep fats low while eating meat protein is difficult. Low fat cottage cheese is definitely a fav. You can blend it into soups, vegie sauces, or mix in a little basil pesto and place on top of cucumber slices.

I also drink Vega all-in-one nutritional shake which is a whole food Vegan shake with 20g "premium plant protein".
  • iwantallthefood
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your feedback. You have given me more options to choose from.
  • Brimixed
    Brimixed Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Check out instagram too for some extra motivation and eating ideas :)
  • syedsaad
    syedsaad Posts: 156 Member
    Options

Could you please tell the name of a good Vegetarian Multi with iron as most of them has gelatin.