Options
    rjmudlax13 wrote: »
    drepublic wrote: »
    Squats and deadlifts.
    /endthread

Not so simple as people have different body mechanics. Read this:
    http://www.t-nation.com/training/flat-butt-fix

"Heavy leg training doesn't automatically lead to better glutes. For many women, everyone's beloved compound movements (squats, deadlifts, lunges) only increase the size of their legs by training their quads, lower back, and hams without doing much for their butts.

Their glute-leg ratio is disproportionate because their quads take over and hypertrophy during their lower body work.

Muscular legs aren't the problem. Undertrained glutes are."

Interesting. I've never had this problem. My butt has gotten huge from squats and deadlifts alone. Usually, if you are working your legs more than glutes during a squat, you are not squatting low enough. I suppose I can see it being different for women as their hip structure is build differently and they have different goals (want a nice round butt but not big thighs).

You are lucky then. I squat, heavy, ATG and don't hit my glutes and hammies much. How low you go has nothing to do do with it, individual physiognomy has everything to do with it, some of us are just quad dominant - thankfully, we've got Bret.

• MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Low bar back squats, Bulgarian Split Squats, Barbell hip thrusts. Flex your *kitten* 100%
  • drepublic
    drepublic Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    drepublic wrote: »
    Squats and deadlifts.
    /endthread

Not so simple as people have different body mechanics. Read this:
    http://www.t-nation.com/training/flat-butt-fix

"Heavy leg training doesn't automatically lead to better glutes. For many women, everyone's beloved compound movements (squats, deadlifts, lunges) only increase the size of their legs by training their quads, lower back, and hams without doing much for their butts.

Their glute-leg ratio is disproportionate because their quads take over and hypertrophy during their lower body work.

Muscular legs aren't the problem. Undertrained glutes are."

Interesting. I've never had this problem. My butt has gotten huge from squats and deadlifts alone.

We do not care about your butt...we care about the butts of women...in particular the wifey.

I got her on board with a GLUTE DAY after she read this article as she tends to grow thighs and calves quick from traditional exercises. Super excited about results in first few weeks...going to be a great year in my house...Yoga pants already starting to come out...

I also have a GLUTE Day...work in Hamstrings and Biceps on this day. Seeing a visible difference in a few weeks and notice other lifts (Trap Bar Deadlifts and Squats) improving. I have also noticed I can feel more glutes working in a squat....as well...I have more glutes. One begets the other...so...spending some dedicated glute time may help it grow from other lifts later on....at least that has been my experience.

• 10ecmuscle
    10ecmuscle Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    For woman, put a bar on your back and squat, squat and when you are done. Squat more. So many variations on the squat it's crazy all the angles you can work, also work those hams. Hip thrust, deadlift, lunges, kettleball stuff, box jumps. And my personal favorite face down, *kitten* up.. And get a good smack on that boots. Ha.
  • saltlife2414
    Options
    For woman, put a bar on your back and squat, squat and when you are done. Squat more. So many variations on the squat it's crazy all the angles you can work, also work those hams. Hip thrust, deadlift, lunges, kettleball stuff, box jumps. And my personal favorite face down, *kitten* up.. And get a good smack on that boots. Ha.

Lol thank you!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Yes, yes. Then, 'fetch water, make fire'. Very good
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Squats and more Squats! Then lunges! Fun stuff!

Squats!!!!!

I started my back side off with bike riding. Then discovered the joys of squats ;)